Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

French witch murders London's unwanted children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Argas posted:

French witch murders London's unwanted children.
James Saville's ghost sues.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, Jeanne's scenes where she's not revolving around Sieg are generally fine, so it's really just yet another example of him making GBS threads up every aspect of the storyline and characters. Especially her initial presentation, just investigating what the hell was going on and why things are so weird with this war, was pretty good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sieg is the worst.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sieg seems like an oc in fate fan fiction.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sieg is quite literally a blank slate character. He has no past, no familial ties, no real motivations beyond "homunculi are living beings too, I guess', no strong opinions on anything that would define him.

So yeah, bland MC gonna bland MC.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

New thread title please

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

I can't stand that drat tooth. It would be fine if it was tooth colored but as it is it looks like Astolfo has some horrible cancerous lip disease.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Cephas posted:

New thread title please

Agreed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

galagazombie posted:

I can't stand that drat tooth. It would be fine if it was tooth colored but as it is it looks like Astolfo has some horrible cancerous lip disease.

the fleshfang is good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Astolfo is good, the fleshfang is weird, Sieg is bad.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So, watching this episode, I'm struck with a slight realization. In Fate/Zero, Waver is presented as a young man who has yet to experience any real tragedy, so when you see him encounter Caster's den of furniture(and the cut story of him and Girlsassin), you're supposed to view it as a real growing experience from him. Sort of, "from an idealistic boy to a man".

It feels like I'm supposed to view Sieg through a similar lens. That is, it's been a short time since he gained a true "will", so this experience* should cause him to grow into a more fully developed character and whatnot. But I just can't help but roll my eyes whenever I see him on screen because he sucks all the "fun" out of the series.

*: This is, of course, ignoring that Sieg had to escape from literally having his heart ripped out of his chest and saw countless "siblings" getting slaughtered wholesale for war

Jeanne was actually really interesting in her dialogue with Atalante and even Sieg didn't manage to destroy that. I'm going to make a hot take and say that Sieg is worse than Siegfried's Master and Darnic

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Waver is helped by having a Servant that's his best friend and mentor. As much as Asfo wants to jump his bones, their actual meaningful screentime together compared is kinda surface level.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Waver's also a teen/young adult with an attitude. Sieg is... nothing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Again, the basic concept is workable. Just look at grumpy homunculus lady.

There’s a lot of opportunities to make an artificial being developing consciousness fun and endearing. They just didn’t take them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Replace Sieg with Johnny Five.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Replace Astolfo's "I'm good at being annoying" line with Seig saying it, then also shoot him into the sun

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Replace Astolfo's "I'm good at being annoying" line with Seig saying it, then also shoot him into the sun

But Sieg isn't even good at being annoying. If he was, he'd at least have that, but instead he's just painfully bland and brings down better characters like Jeanne with him.

I still liked his freak out this episode though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mass-produced homunculi being largely without personality was always viewed as a feature, but they accidentally went too far and ended up with sieg.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I generally view Sieg's place in the show as functional, particularly episode 18; and by extension that he provides a sort of romantic subplot for Jeanne's host is kinda cute; and I like that he gives Astolfo some sort of reason to continue existing.

I'm okay with Sieg, he isn't interesting and is something of a black hole, but I like seeing the characters he interacts with.

Ultimately I don't feel like he ruins the show or the scenes he's in; he's just not a reason to ever look forward to a particular scene.

I really liked Jeanne's conversation with Atalante, in how evenly measured she was without trying to justify herself, everything was just matter of fact, sombre, and sad.

It's also interesting how she views herself being burned; almost as though she views it as a good thing.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
I don't feel like Sieg is that much of a problem, it's just this series feels completely directionless and that reflects on Sieg. The writers are set on making this anime about the homunculi rather than fights between Servants, particularly in recent episodes, and they are doing this with zero subtlety. Every time Sieg or some random homunculus shows up on screen the anime becomes a sermon of trite and obvious statements, which all boil down to "killing is bad, all lives matter, therefore homunculi matter too". Except when the Servants start fighting homunculi start getting killed by the metric ton, but at that point the writers don't give a gently caress anymore about the previous spiel, actually they love it, because it shows how powerful and badass those Heroic Spirits are. Of course we can't fault the anime for showing cool fight scenes because that's the main draw of a Fate series, but then why should I care whether the homunculi live or die? The writers clearly don't give a gently caress about it, so why should we? Apocrypha is torn between making a statement about the importance of life and epic fights between Heroic Spirits, and the latter ends up damaging the previous element. Sieg, whose whole purpose in this series is to become more human and showing that homunculi are just as human as us, ends up being a bland protagonist because there's no weight behind all the moral statements of this anime, he has to become a Master, just like the ones whom used and abused his brothers and sisters, to stay relevant.

Basically, the writers want us to care about the homunculi, and by extension Sieg, when they don't give a gently caress whether they live or die in the story, and this ends up dragging the whole anime down, not just Sieg.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, the short answer is that Apocrypha was cobbled together from a failed online game project in its planning stages. A bunch of the original lineup were swapped out as well. David and George were to be in the Black Faction, and Benkei and Kintoki were in the Red Faction. We don't know how much was part of the original plan and how much was later written up. It's also more complicated than what the short answer implies but it's clear to me why some characters just don't have much impact compared to others.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Man as much as I love the OPPRESSOR destroyer I'd like Kintoki to be in this so much because he's great in FGO and should be in more media

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This show feels like bad a bunch of Fate fanfictions thrown into a pot. I think I'm just gonna watch Zero or ubw again instead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/Story_terror/status/929371079579013121

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Did Jeanne actually not realize Astolfo is a boy?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Poor Jeanne

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

astolfo probably has a bigger dick than sieg.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Did Jeanne actually not realize Astolfo is a boy?

She can see everyones stats, but Astolfo made sure that relevant bit of info was "Le secret"

The system works

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I think I might have bad taste since I've greatly enjoyed Apocrypha and Re:Creators, or maybe I just like train wrecks to make up for my lack of watching poo poo like Walking Dead that most people watch for a lovely adaptation train wreck.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I unironically like Apoc, it has most of what I want in a Fate work; A-1 is fumbling the ball but hasn't dropped it outside the play zone.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I unironically like Apoc, it has most of what I want in a Fate work; A-1 is fumbling the ball but hasn't dropped it outside the play zone.

Aren't we getting an Extra anime by Shaft? I can't stand that series or games much but maybe Shaft will magically turn it into poetry despite it having an even dumber concept than Apocrypha.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

extra is good

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

El Burbo posted:

extra is good

It's not even a good musou

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I never said extella was good

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

El Burbo posted:

I never said extella was good

You didn't say Extra CCC, either.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Extra is good, CCC is apparently very good but I can't read it

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So, according to the scrolling text during the episode, next week will be a recap episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Finally some full frontal nudity. But Jeanne has really bad taste. :v:

Tamba posted:

So, according to the scrolling text during the episode, next week will be a recap episode.
Does anyone actually bother watching recap episodes? They're just a waste of everybody's time, including the studio making them.

• Locked thread