Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

The house and senate vote in '96 was a 3.4 percentage point swing towards democrats versus '94.

The Dems gained two House seats in '96, and lost two Senate seats. In a presidential election year. When they are supposed to be strongest. You are trying to compare it favorably with a midterm election in which the Democrats got absolutely swept. It's not a very compelling argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ogmius815 posted:

But of course the proletarians will turn out for Full Communism Now. After all, they have nothing to lose but their chains; they have a world to win!

hmm yes. not passing republican bullshit like welfare reform == full communism now

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/adndotcom/status/927692073280602122

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I mean, gently caress man. I wouldn't want to be a teenager in the literal middle of goddamn nowhere either.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Instant Sunrise posted:

Remember that this guy was going up against somebody who was part of an administration that had committed literal treason.

He also ran a campaign of being someone above ideology. Love where that got him.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

Q: Why do people write "TNC" instead of like, Coates? Did he express some preference for it? It took me ages to figure out who you all were talking about with that acronym.

If someone said "Coates" ITT, I would assume they were talking about DNI Dan Coates.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
It's worth remembering that Congressional Democrats, especially Gephart and Daschle, loving hated Clinton's Welfare Reform bill. But Clinton met with Gingrich to work out the wording and basically stabbed his own party in the back to get it.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 7, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

It's worth remembering that Congressional Democrats, especially Gephart and Daschle, loving hated Clinton's Welfare Reform bill. But Clinton met with Gingrich to work out the wording and basically stabbed his own party in the back to get it.

Yup, they knew they would end up paying politically for that stupid, stupid legislation. And yet there are still a lot of Democrats who keep wanting to double down on that strategy - and they have the stones to accuse the left of being overly ideological and not pragmatic.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I've never understood how the helmet photo sank Dukakis. It's a big helmet, sure, but that's because tank helmets are big helmets. He was being safe.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nanomashoes posted:

I've never understood how the helmet photo sank Dukakis. It's a big helmet, sure, but that's because tank helmets are big helmets. He was being safe.

He looks like kind of a knob and everyone was like hurr durr the liberal wants to play soldier.

Everyone conveniently ignored he had actually been in the military, because it doesn't count when the person has a D next to their name.

The Willie Horton smear is probably more important than the tank photo, however.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

He looks like kind of a knob and everyone was like hurr durr the liberal wants to play soldier.

Everyone conveniently ignored he had actually been in the military, because it doesn't count when the person has a D next to their name.

The Willie Horton smear is probably more important than the tank photo, however.

I would say that he ran a proto Clinton campaign as a boring suit did not help at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Here's a much simpler explanation. Bill Clinton wins by running a moderate campaign in '92. Then he tries to pass a sweeping healthcare reform bill that has substantial leftist appeal. Republicans balk, and democrats lose massively in the midterms. Does that have any historical parallels? Why yes, it does. Obama wins by running a moderate campaign in '08. He then succeeds in passing a health care reform bill with significant leftist appeal. Republicans balk, and democrats lose massively in the midterms.

These crazy contortions y'all go through to make the leftism can't lose narrative make sense are just astonishing.

You're doing the exact same thing and just assuming the narrative you've pulled out of your rear end (seemingly for no reason other than a desire to disagree with the evil leftists) is true.

Like, I actually disagree with the idea that moving to the left is guaranteed to help electorally, but I also have seen no persuasive evidence that moving to the left would hurt (especially when you consider the fact that the Democratic Party supporting a policy would automatically make it no longer a radically left-wing idea in the eyes of most of the public). So it ultimately comes down to ideology and whether you think ideas are good/helpful or not (and the fact that you constantly try to argue on the basis of how ideology/policy will influence elections makes me think you've tacitly conceded the point that leftists have the moral and ideological high ground).

JeffersonClay posted:

My narrative is "Anericans vote for a lot of reasons, frequently unrelated to economics, often influenced by being real loving dumb".

They are especially predisposed to vote for terrible ideas like bipartisan consensus solutions.

See, this is nonsense. Americans aren't "predisposed" to anything. Their attitudes and opinions are heavily influenced by what they see and hear in the media and from politicians. They see politicians and the media constantly talking about what a good thing bipartisanship is, so they come away with the impression bipartisanship is something laudable. If you change what the media and politicians are saying, you'll find that Americans' opinions will change as well.

RuanGacho posted:

I feel like many of you are arguing with ghosts of leftists past.

The "Full Communism Now" stuff has always been extremely dishonest and is basically a sign that the person using it (in reference to the left) isn't worth talking to.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 7, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jesus Christ, I'd been numb to the mass shootings, but ABC was on in the background and they were talking about all the children who were killed and the family who lost 8 people, and just gently caress this country. There's nothing redeemable about our society or culture.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Jesus Christ, I'd been numb to the mass shootings, but ABC was on in the background and they were talking about all the children who were killed and the family who lost 8 people, and just gently caress this country. There's nothing redeemable about our society or culture.

This is me. A pregnant woman and a 17 month old girl.

Just gently caress my poo poo up. I already lost my religion over childhood cancer, I'm running out of constructs of the human experience to dash on the rocks of frustration over here.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nanomashoes posted:

The sticker and white amerrica wasx jealous they werent in the tank.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/927588951912845314
I’m asking in all seriousness, how long was she working for the Democratic Party?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nanomashoes posted:

he was trying to evoke a photo of thatcher riding a tank

hilariously thatcher looks way goofier with the googles but it somehow worked for her and hosed him over

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Office Pig posted:

I’m asking in all seriousness, how long was she working for the Democratic Party?

Has Donna Brazile ever been to Russia?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Wow, gently caress her.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

2016 broke her brain most of all it appears

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

The Tea Party didn’t refuse to vote R in the general, they just relentlessly primaried everyone.

They’re arguably still bad role models partly because they’re astroturf hacks who only succeeded because of Koch money and partly because the party they built is completely incapable of governing and now lives in fear of primary attacks from the right to the point that they can’t even make a deal with the opposition.

These are arguably good things for us but demonstrate the downsides of the Tea Party model.

Being incapable of governing is only a problem for the right because everything they say is a lie and if their dream policies actually passed the effects would be catastrophically unpopular, as we just saw when their dream of cutting Medicaid was scored by the CBO and turns out "get yer government hands off my medicaid" won't give everyone magic affordable healthcare, it's just a way for the rich to steal 2 trillion dollars from the people who believed the Tea Party was going to help them.

We don't have that problem because singlepayer or a National Health Service would be good and popular, and the only obstacle to passing it is the donor class in control of the Republican and Democratic parties, and not any actual bad consequences or any impossibilities contained within the idea itself.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

What's wrong with honoring a deceased DNC staffer?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

up until the summer of 88, dukakis had a steady lead but bush started working the tough on crime angle after polling around iirc memorial day had shown that white democrats who'd voted for reagan were receptive to that message, and slowly erased dukakis' advantage prior to the two willie horton ads which didn't air until late october

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

You're doing the exact same thing and just assuming the narrative you've pulled out of your rear end (seemingly for no reason other than a desire to disagree with the evil leftists) is true.

The narrative that the Republican Revolution in '94 was achieved by tarring Bill Clinton and democrats in general as a "tax and spend" liberals, and that Hillarycare contributed to that portrayal, was not pulled from my rear end.

quote:

"See, this is nonsense. Americans aren't "predisposed" to anything. Their attitudes and opinions are heavily influenced by what they see and hear in the media and from politicians. They see politicians and the media constantly talking about what a good thing bipartisanship is, so they come away with the impression bipartisanship is something laudable. If you change what the media and politicians are saying, you'll find that Americans' opinions will change as well."

Conditioned by years of messaging and predisposed mean exactly the same thing here. Years of media and political messaging (and other factors) have predisposed Americans to believe bipartisanship is a good thing. I'm not suggesting US voters have some genetic feature which predisposes them to love bipartisanship. Culture predisposes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

gowb posted:

What's wrong with honoring a deceased DNC staffer?

she thinks the clintons or the russians killed him, i forget who the dumb conspiracy theory has as the villains

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
One of the dumber things about the Seth Rich conspiracy theory is that he was alive when the cops found him. This goes ignored for some weird reason.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spacebump posted:

One of the dumber things about the Seth Rich conspiracy theory is that he was alive when the cops found him. This goes ignored for some weird reason.

According to conspiracy morons on my social media, the DC Cops are all liberals and therefore in on it, of course.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Office Pig posted:

quote:

Brazile has worked on several presidential campaigns for Democratic candidates, including Jesse Jackson in 1984, Walter Mondale–Geraldine Ferraro in 1984, and Richard Gephardt in the 1988 Democratic primary.

After Gephardt lost the primary in 1988, Brazile served as deputy field director of the Michael Dukakis general election campaign.[6] On October 20, 1988, she made headlines by telling a group of reporters that George H. W. Bush needed to "fess up" about unsubstantiated rumors of an extramarital affair.

Said Brazile, "The American people have every right to know if Barbara Bush will share that bed with him in the White House."[7][8] The Dukakis campaign immediately disavowed her remarks and Dukakis fired her from his campaign staff shortly after the story broke.[6][9] Four years later, the same issue, the relationship of George H.W. Bush and Jennifer Fitzgerald, would be briefly rehashed during the 1992 campaign against Bill Clinton, who had his own extramarital affair rumors.

In the 1990s, Brazile served as chief of staff and press secretary to Congressional Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton of the District of Columbia, where she helped guide the District's budget and local legislation on Capitol Hill. She also served as an advisor for Bill Clinton's campaign for the presidency in 1992 and for re-election in 1996.

In 1999, Brazile was appointed deputy campaign manager and was later promoted to campaign manager of the 2000 presidential campaign of Vice-President Al Gore, becoming the first African-American woman to manage a major party presidential campaign.

This woman trails failure behind her like toilet paper sticking to her shoe.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So I don't know what I'm supposed to take away from a rap sheet like that but my freshly-minted crackpot theory is that Donna Brazile is the single most effective political saboteur in modern history.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha, they keep hiring her.

HahahahHAHAHhahahahHAHahSADFLFbvdb

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

she thinks the clintons or the russians killed him, i forget who the dumb conspiracy theory has as the villains

Clintons, the conspiracy theory is that Rich was the guy behind the DNC leaks and so they put a hit on him to shut him up.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://twitter.com/reclaimuc/status/927604529369149442

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brazile needs to get the Jim Messina treatment.

Shipped off to foreign countries to help their conservatives lose by mismanaging their campaigns.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

She might literally have known him, is the thing.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I would really be more angry with Donna Brazile if the Democratic Party didn't keep putting these pigshit motherfuckers on their payroll to gently caress everybody over.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Office Pig posted:

I would really be more angry with Donna Brazile if the Democratic Party didn't keep putting these pigshit motherfuckers on their payroll to gently caress everybody over.

Didn't she just get promoted by Perez over some Sander supporters too?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Office Pig posted:

uh... This tweet and article headline are clickbait bullshit.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Nowhere in that Newsweek story does it support the assertion that she's bought into a conspiracy theory. It's a clever headline meant to draw clicks.

Mantis42 posted:

She might literally have known him, is the thing.

It's this. His death affected her and made her afraid someone was targeting DNC staff, a normal reaction to a co-worker being shot randomly in this political climate. Paranoid? Yeah. Nowhere in this article does it back up the implication of the title, that she was afraid Clinton had him whacked.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 7, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It really is unnerving how readily some people are to 180 their opinion of Brazile after the tell-all. If she had been a republican whistleblowing on the RNC we'd be calling her a hero with integrity right now.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

It really is unnerving how readily some people are to 180 their opinion of Brazile after the tell-all. If she had been a republican whistleblowing on the RNC we'd be calling her a hero with integrity right now.

Using a Brazile to reignite the Seth Rich bullshit even though in the article it cites her reaction to Hannity pushing his loving narratives, and how she was a friend to the Rich family during all of this... is something we really should have seen coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Who are all these people?

• Locked thread