Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does Arthur Blank still own Home Depot? Never pictured him as a hardcore Trumper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Arthur Blank still own Home Depot? Never pictured him as a hardcore Trumper

hasn't been running it since 2001 iirc

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
abysmal lumber quality

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

the old ceremony posted:

abysmal lumber quality
but enough about my sex life :(

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I have never had the experiences you describe at the Home Depots I frequent.

Neither have I. I know in the middle of last decade Home Depot went through a really bad spell due to ownership issues, but they've rebounded nicely at least the locations I've been recently around here in Suburban NY.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The Nardelli years were not kind to Home Depot, but they've rebounded really well. I prefer Lowe's for lumber, but HD for most everything else. Lowe's imo leaves a lot to be desired with their tool lines compared to HD.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GEMorris posted:

The Nardelli years were not kind to Home Depot, but they've rebounded really well. I prefer Lowe's for lumber, but HD for most everything else. Lowe's imo leaves a lot to be desired with their tool lines compared to HD.

I've yet the buy a HDX or Husky branded tool that wasn't complete poo poo.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Ace Hardware supremacy. Unless you're looking for appliances or something, I suppose

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Very chart-heavy article on this topic today from Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-retail-debt/

quote:

The so-called retail apocalypse has become so ingrained in the U.S. that it now has the distinction of its own Wikipedia entry.

The industry’s response to that kind of doomsday description has included blaming the media for hyping the troubles of a few well-known chains as proof of a systemic meltdown. There is some truth to that. In the U.S., retailers announced more than 3,000 store openings in the first three quarters of this year.

But chains also said 6,800 would close. And this comes when there’s sky-high consumer confidence, unemployment is historically low and the U.S. economy keeps growing. Those are normally all ingredients for a retail boom, yet more chains are filing for bankruptcy and rated distressed than during the financial crisis. That’s caused an increase in the number of delinquent loan payments by malls and shopping centers.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Cicero posted:

Very chart-heavy article on this topic today from Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-retail-debt/

Thank you for posting that article, it is great!

One thing that I liked about that article is it tries to explain retail problems in terms of financial markets, and not just consumer preferences. Basically, investment banks had a lot of money, and they had to do something with it, so they lent it to retail chains, who then expanded. But they overexpanded, and now they have to pay back that debt, and there wasn't ever a growth in sales to cover the capital expenses.

Also, the article notes that Toys R Us is so far the largest retail bankruptcy, at 6.6 billion in assets. Sears Holdings has about 2 billion more than that. JC Penney has 3 billion more than that.

dsagent
Mar 30, 2017
The mall / store is an absolutely miserable place if you are alone.
Spending time looking for an item that "might look ok" is a waste when you have near unlimited choices online especially if you want to buy something weird like a purple microwave.
All that time spent waiting in lines adds up and brings you just that much closer to death.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

dsagent posted:

The mall / store is an absolutely miserable place if you are alone.
Spending time looking for an item that "might look ok" is a waste when you have near unlimited choices online especially if you want to buy something weird like a purple microwave.
All that time spent waiting in lines adds up and brings you just that much closer to death.

The florescent lighting doesn't help either. I always end up with a massive headache if I spend too long in it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

One thing that I liked about that article is it tries to explain retail problems in terms of financial markets, and not just consumer preferences. Basically, investment banks had a lot of money, and they had to do something with it, so they lent it to retail chains, who then expanded. But they overexpanded, and now they have to pay back that debt, and there wasn't ever a growth in sales to cover the capital expenses.

Capitalism.txt

Must have constant growth every single quarter!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crow Jane posted:

The florescent lighting doesn't help either. I always end up with a massive headache if I spend too long in it

Even the 5 stores from being empty mall kinda near me has had all the interior lighting switched over to nice LEDs now... which was probably a big waste considering I doubt it'll make it to 2020 since Sears is one of the 5 stores left, but hey. At least the lights of the empty mall are nice.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
They need to stop structuring malls around anchors. I haven't been in a jc Penney in years but I go to the mall all the time for places like Torrid and Lush. A mall's big advantage is in specialty stores where browsing is a must and online can't provide an adequate experience.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cis autodrag posted:

They need to stop structuring malls around anchors. I haven't been in a jc Penney in years but I go to the mall all the time for places like Torrid and Lush. A mall's big advantage is in specialty stores where browsing is a must and online can't provide an adequate experience.

No one's built a new mall in America in 11 years, unless you count the mall at the World Trade Center that had to be rebuilt from scratch due to that whole 9/11 thing, and which reopened in 2016. And that one's anything but a traditional mall.

And it's pretty darn expensive to renovate an existing mall to not be focused on the anchor spaces that were already built.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cis autodrag posted:

an anchor is just "a big customer draw", not necessarily a department store. a mall near me is half dead but hanging on because their one anchor (aside from a criminally depressing burlington coat factory) is the only reasonably priced first run movie theater on this side of town. all the other movie theaters are bougie luxe experiences with tableside service that's like $20 a ticket. if you want to take your kids to the new superhero or disney film and pay less than ten bucks a head you've got one choice within 20 miles, and that keeps this mall limping along

an anchor could easily be a grocery store (this is how most strip malls work) or even a civic building like a library or something

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never seen a local mall die, they all seem to be doing super well and constantly doing huge expansions and renovations. But a large recently renovated and expanded mall is losing one of its big anchors, a Sears. I have a feeling it will do just fine because it's been aggressively expanding and diversifying over the last 10 years. It was first anchored by a large 2 story Sears and a Zellers (a sort of Canadian k-mart that got destroyed when wallmart moved in) but has really changed. The classic indoor mall of small to medium shops has expanded and renovated to not look like it was from the 70's or 80's anymore. It has a much larger food court too which is very popular. Many of the medium sized stores have expanded into sort of "mini-anchors" and a large grocery store has also opened up. There are a lot more services now too, doctor's offices, financial services, fitness studios, stuff like that. It's now got the biggest Canadian Tire which has replaced the Zellars (well actually replaced a Target but we won't talk about Targets attempt at Canada). Sears has not really been the anchor for a long while now, it's the oldest most dated part of the whole complex. I'm curious what they'll do with the space though.

The Canadian Tire seems to be doing really well and is huge. They have everything except large appliances to fill the non-clothing void left by Sears. It's an odd store that morphed over the decades from mostly being automotive to being a sort of hybrid automotive/hardware/sports/outdoors place. Automotive is now maybe 10% of the floor space. I'm not sure there's a US parallel?

"One of Canada’s most powerful retailers, Canadian Tire, is a concept that is completely foreign to U.S. retail, and its market position and "hold" over the Canadian consumer is often both misunderstood and underestimated. The company sells products ranging from spark plugs and tires to sporting goods and apparel, with food offered in some of its locations. Its proprietary "currency," Canadian Tire money, which is a by-product of its loyalty program, has been accepted across Canada by multiple retailers and could almost be described as a "sub-fiat" currency."

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Xae posted:

I've yet the buy a HDX or Husky branded tool that wasn't complete poo poo.

Every store sells lovely bottom end brands (like hdx) you can't expect those tools to be good. I've had reasonable success with the few Husky tools I've bought, but I usually buy higher tier brands than that.

Lowe's Kobalt brand is weird, their hand tools are decent, but their power tools are trash.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

I've never seen a local mall die,

i've seen plenty, exploring dead and dying malls has been a thing in the us for more than a decade

http://deadmalls.com/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lWZLYa8FoM

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

The Canadian Tire seems to be doing really well and is huge. They have everything except large appliances to fill the non-clothing void left by Sears. It's an odd store that morphed over the decades from mostly being automotive to being a sort of hybrid automotive/hardware/sports/outdoors place. Automotive is now maybe 10% of the floor space. I'm not sure there's a US parallel?

"One of Canada’s most powerful retailers, Canadian Tire, is a concept that is completely foreign to U.S. retail, and its market position and "hold" over the Canadian consumer is often both misunderstood and underestimated. The company sells products ranging from spark plugs and tires to sporting goods and apparel, with food offered in some of its locations. Its proprietary "currency," Canadian Tire money, which is a by-product of its loyalty program, has been accepted across Canada by multiple retailers and could almost be described as a "sub-fiat" currency."

The other interesting one, somewhat related, is Home Hardware. I've only ever seen them in small towns and not-quite-cities, but they seem to focus on having whatever the gently caress you need, inexplicably. It's the opposite of a normal retail experience these days.

"You need a rare sort of watch battery, 50 kg of water softener salt, a swamp cooler, and a bucket of pool chlorine? Yeah, we've got all that."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

boner confessor posted:

i've seen plenty, exploring dead and dying malls has been a thing in the us for more than a decade

http://deadmalls.com/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lWZLYa8FoM

Like that video says, the Mountaineer Mall is a great example of bringing back a dying mall as something newer - now it's got a ton of office space for private companies and local government service in it and it's going to stick around a long while. There's even going to be a small amount of new stores opening soon there because of the increased traffic.

It still looks pretty bad on the inside most of the day, cause a lot of that office space is non-interior facing, but it's a useful asset for the community rather than just another 95% abandoned husk like many are.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 8, 2017

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Noctone posted:

You can't swing a cat in Denver without hitting a dispensary.

ya but the retail locations are all a mixed bag, initially they kinda wanted dispensaries to reinvest in certain run down locations, some of them built some nice buildings or took over spots in depressed strip malls but others just took over car dealership lots and put the store in the office building so it looks like some grease trap looking building that sells pot

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PT6A posted:

The other interesting one, somewhat related, is Home Hardware. I've only ever seen them in small towns and not-quite-cities, but they seem to focus on having whatever the gently caress you need, inexplicably. It's the opposite of a normal retail experience these days.

"You need a rare sort of watch battery, 50 kg of water softener salt, a swamp cooler, and a bucket of pool chlorine? Yeah, we've got all that."

Man, I got like 3 of them within walking distance of me here in Victoria, I thought they were more common. And yeah they are like mini canadian tires without all the manly camo hunting themed everything.
Their stupid slogan of "Home owners helping home owners" is idiotic though. No one who works at a home hardware can afford to own anything and a good chunk of their customers can't either. It's such an oddly classist and exclusionary slogan.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

Their stupid slogan of "Home owners helping home owners" is idiotic though. No one who works at a home hardware can afford to own anything and a good chunk of their customers can't either. It's such an oddly classist and exclusionary slogan.

I think it's meant to reflect that the store owners are all independent and "part of the community."

And the guy that owned the Home Hardware in the tiny town I grew up in sure as gently caress could afford a house and a whole lot of other things. That place was a license to print money. In the end it turned out the only thing it couldn't pay for was a cocaine addiction, and now there's no more Home Hardware there. See also: the local gas station/garage.

Small towns are funny.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
With so many online shopping options how much overhead do we really need to buy poo poo? I mean think of it realistically, buying from a website already simplified the job of a distributor and accountant as all that is handled digitally and then to get the product to you normally it would have had to gone to a big box retailer or a specialty store that would have to hire people to maintain that own separate business. Now all the savings are passed on to the customer and they've never had more options to choose from, before all that overhead was just an added expense that reduced both the selection of products and quality of them just to help pay for all those unnecessary employees.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Depending on where you live though the cost of shipping easily eats up the savings on the product. Like sure I can get a pair of socks on amazon for $5 instead of $8 at the local shop, but they want $10 shipping or something, gently caress off. There's tons of cases where I save huge buying online, but equally as many where buying online costs way more and then I need to wait a week+ for it to arrive and maybe it's wrong and I can't just take it back to a store now I'm paying to send it back and the whole thing's a clusterfuck.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
How long until malls become unprofitable and we just buy clothes directly from either brand retail fronts or online?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do you make sure clothing is a perfect fit and the colour is right and everything just sits on you nice when buying online??

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

GEMorris posted:

Every store sells lovely bottom end brands (like hdx) you can't expect those tools to be good. I've had reasonable success with the few Husky tools I've bought, but I usually buy higher tier brands than that.

Lowe's Kobalt brand is weird, their hand tools are decent, but their power tools are trash.

I love this type of poo poo because customers buy it once and get burned and then decide to shop online forver in the future since they can check products with thousands of other customer reviews

and retail wonders why it's dying

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Baronjutter posted:

Depending on where you live though the cost of shipping easily eats up the savings on the product. Like sure I can get a pair of socks on amazon for $5 instead of $8 at the local shop, but they want $10 shipping or something, gently caress off. There's tons of cases where I save huge buying online, but equally as many where buying online costs way more and then I need to wait a week+ for it to arrive and maybe it's wrong and I can't just take it back to a store now I'm paying to send it back and the whole thing's a clusterfuck.
Where do you live that you can't get Prime shipping?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Baronjutter posted:

How do you make sure clothing is a perfect fit and the colour is right and everything just sits on you nice when buying online??

go to a tailor and get your measurements, amazon lets you filter clothes by these measurements so hopefully buying clothes isn't a crapshoot anymore since every brand had retarded ideas on what a medium and large is

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Magius1337est posted:

How long until malls become unprofitable and we just buy clothes directly from either brand retail fronts or online?

Why do you think brand retail fronts does not mean a store in a mall?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magius1337est posted:

never, there will still be plenty of people who prefer to buy things irl. not everyone prefers to automate away all social contact and outside time

Magius1337est posted:

I love this type of poo poo because customers buy it once and get burned and then decide to shop online forver in the future since they can check products with thousands of other customer reviews

and retail wonders why it's dying

http://www.refinery29.com/2015/11/96886/shopping-asian-e-commerce-style-websites

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

boner confessor posted:

never, there will still be plenty of people who prefer to buy things irl. not everyone prefers to automate away all social contact and outside time
Does the phrase "brand retail fronts" not mean a physical in person store that is just not located in a mall?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Baronjutter posted:

I guarantee you nowadays you're more likely to find exactly what you're looking for the first time instead of trying to think of what you want and heading to a retail store and seeing if what they offer is anything close to what you want. And most people are paying for prime nowadays anyways. Also you can just print a new label at home and drop it off outside your house and it'll get picked up.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

fishmech posted:

Why do you think brand retail fronts does not mean a store in a mall?

Because more retail is changing to that new outdoor lifestyle experience poo poo or possibly into urban centers where there's more foot traffic, the greater square footage also gives them more opportunity to sell a larger variety of clothes

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

You order multiple sizes and return the ones that don't fit. Many online clothing retailers allow you to do this.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does the phrase "brand retail fronts" not mean a physical in person store that is just not located in a mall?

mall is a super vague term that means something different to everyone in this conversation and which is going to have mutable definitions depending on the needs of the argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

boner confessor posted:

http://www.refinery29.com/2015/11/96886/shopping-asian-e-commerce-style-websites

you say this as retail malls have peaked and there hasn't been a new specialty store for strip malls that actually brings in people nowadays and amazon is a namebrand online shopping destination