Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bluehole is in a weird position because if they close up the cheater loopholes they won't sell these millions of copies that cheaters use.
But if they do that the number of legit players drops, and then the prices do, so then the number of new accounts hackers are willing to buy drops too.
So they should fix it really but also it's really hard not to just look at your bajillions of sales in the last year and secretly hope you can just line your pockets right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Weird argument to make since they just whipped this title up and it became the #1 most played game on the PC. Hilarious to think about. They got more money than they know what to do with, with zero real roadmap. I don't think tracking revenue is as nearly a big concern to them as logistics.

They sent out baby's first shooter and got handed back a nuclear bomb.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

tote up a bags posted:

Bluehole is in a weird position because if they close up the cheater loopholes they won't sell these millions of copies that cheaters use.
But if they do that the number of legit players drops, and then the prices do, so then the number of new accounts hackers are willing to buy drops too.
So they should fix it really but also it's really hard not to just look at your bajillions of sales in the last year and secretly hope you can just line your pockets right now.

Don't forget the transaction fees that they're getting everytime a cheater sells more clothes/loot boxes. They need to make it so cheating as a business isn't the reality that it is now.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

don't those transaction fees just go to steam? the marketplace doesn't give anything to game devs iirc

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Got shot out of the air in a fog game

JuliaShen8888 is an excellent p92 sniper

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Xenaero posted:

Weird argument to make since they just whipped this title up and it became the #1 most played game on the PC.

On Steam. Other games are still played more, at least League of Legends.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

The Mash posted:

On Steam. Other games are still played more, at least League of Legends.

We don't really know that since Riot doesn't release peak concurrent stats anymore

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Jerkface posted:

Cool dude I'm up to 859 myself see you on the battlefield :c00l:

https://pubg.me/player/Jerkface-/squad-fpp

Holy poo poo you have a lot of games played. In your experience what is the most important thing to gain rank? Just always get top 10 placements and that's it? This has been my thinking this season.. Last season, I really tried to boost my kill rating but after finding out rating is defined as (win rating) + 0.2 (Kill rating), I decided to push for top 10 placements every game.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Xenaero posted:

I had a similar moment earlier but with a suppressed autoshottie.

poo poo was awesome.

that owns my dude

too bad my sched will not allow me to play with west coasters for very long otherwise i would show you the way of “hold w”

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

Holy poo poo you have a lot of games played. In your experience what is the most important thing to gain rank? Just always get top 10 placements and that's it? This has been my thinking this season.. Last season, I really tried to boost my kill rating but after finding out rating is defined as (win rating) + 0.2 (Kill rating), I decided to push for top 10 placements every game.

Ranking up is ridiculously easy. All you need to do is not die until as late as possible and play a lot. There's a dude who ended a season as #124 by dropping away from the circle and healing outside the circle; he had a .2 KD but made top 10 every single game. In my experience, getting past 500 or so does require a higher level of consistency than before then (although kills are still relatively worthless when compared to placings) but it's still nowhere near as difficult as you'd expect when looking at percentiles.

All in all, playing for rank is fun because you get to see your numbers go up, there's something 'on the line' and getting sub-500 is at least somewhat of an accomplishment, but the way the ranking system works is flawed in countless ways to the point where pretty much anyone can get top 1k if they're willing to just bang their heads against the wall. Solely playing for rank burns you out pretty quickly, in my experience.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 6, 2017

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Got my first (and probably last) solo v squad FPP NA win yesterday with 10 kills. This was my favorite passage of play against this 3 stooges crate-equipped squad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwt0G8nG4P0&t=1172s

Yes, let's all peek the same exact spot where our buddy got merc'd. Seems good.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Parallel Playa posted:

Ranking up is ridiculously easy. All you need to do is not die until as late as possible and play a lot. There's a dude who ended a season as #124 by dropping away from the circle and healing outside the circle; he had a .2 KD but made top 10 every single game. In my experience, getting past 500 or so does require a higher level of consistency than before then (although kills are still relatively worthless when compared to placings) but it's still nowhere near as difficult as you'd expect when looking at percentiles.

All in all, playing for rank is fun because you get to see your numbers go up, there's something 'on the line' and getting sub-500 is at least somewhat of an accomplishment, but the way the ranking system works is flawed in countless ways to the point where pretty much anyone can get top 1k if they're willing to just bang their heads against the wall. Solely playing for rank burns you out pretty quickly, in my experience.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this.

I have had my theories after finding out what the formula is. Essentially, I agree with you that the formula just promotes bad behaviour (sitting in a bush and healing through blue zone damage is smarter than fighting).

Will try to grind for points this season and then next go back to going for kills.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Instead of playing for "rank" my regular squad mates play for dinners and let the rank come with it. That tends to end up with us taking risks on crates or fights that might have a negative impact on our rank if we lose but set us up better to win the game if we succeed.

If you want to grind rank just play more games. The most fun thing about the stats (for me) is improving over previous seasons. We reached our season 4 win total in half as many games this season.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'd suggest not playing for rank because it's dull as poo poo.

I play for kills and dinners and my rank is going up anyway. Of course this strategy is not going to be fully optimal for rank gain per game but I don't care. As others have said the ranking system is broken and basically worthless anyway in that the more the play the higher you get, and can gain rank easily just by hiding and not killing anybody.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

WhatEvil posted:

I'd suggest not playing for rank because it's dull as poo poo.

I play for kills and dinners and my rank is going up anyway. Of course this strategy is not going to be fully optimal for rank gain per game but I don't care. As others have said the ranking system is broken and basically worthless anyway in that the more the play the higher you get, and can gain rank easily just by hiding and not killing anybody.

I'm just doing it to see how hard the ranking system can be gamed. I will be back to running for every crate and shooting at anything that moves next season.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I just like the looting empty building mechanics

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Enigma89 posted:

I'm just doing it to see how hard the ranking system can be gamed. I will be back to running for every crate and shooting at anything that moves next season.

Please make Nevermore-esque healing in the blue montages.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

VulgarandStupid posted:

Please make Nevermore-esque healing in the blue montages.

With lens glare and zoom effects and set to Linkin Park or Sum41

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Jerkface posted:

Instead of playing for "rank" my regular squad mates play for dinners and let the rank come with it. That tends to end up with us taking risks on crates or fights that might have a negative impact on our rank if we lose but set us up better to win the game if we succeed.

If you want to grind rank just play more games. The most fun thing about the stats (for me) is improving over previous seasons. We reached our season 4 win total in half as many games this season.

This is true. We got to 300~ in squads (our best was around 150) and I had a 3.39 K/D by the end of last season. Just play for fun and the ~wins will come~

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

The Mash posted:

With lens glare and zoom effects and set to Linkin Park or Sum41

Umm sorry but obviously it should be Bodies by Drowning Pool.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Missing Name posted:

I just like the looting empty building mechanics

I don't, and actually it would be kind of neat if there was a way to get rid of a bit of the early game. Maybe starting with random level 1 gear?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Harminoff posted:

I don't, and actually it would be kind of neat if there was a way to get rid of a bit of the early game. Maybe starting with random level 1 gear?

Sorry but that is a terrible idea. Every player should start with an empty loadout. The RNG early game is already bad enough.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Starting with a P92, P1911, or revolver seems like it would be a good way to take some of the sting out of poor early game loot, I've seen plenty of games where people get through several houses without even finding a sidearm and then get wiped by 3 guys who got almost fully kitted out as soon as they landed and went hunting.

Though I can see people landing and turning to the sky to kill whoever was just above them being a huge problem if that were added.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

lohli posted:

Starting with a P92, P1911, or revolver seems like it would be a good way to take some of the sting out of poor early game loot, I've seen plenty of games where people get through several houses without even finding a sidearm and then get wiped by 3 guys who got almost fully kitted out as soon as they landed and went hunting.

Though I can see people landing and turning to the sky to kill whoever was just above them being a huge problem if that were added.
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to fire as you parachuted down either, it's symmetric to some degree. There'd be an immediate freefall firefight I think which sounds funny if dumb.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

lohli posted:

The early game scramble is one of the best/most fun parts of the game imo

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sure beats the other two parts I'm familiar with: the "20 minute hike" and the "getting shot by some fucker I didn't even see."

I should really play more of this, but it's hard to make time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

lohli posted:

I would only want to start with a revolver if I could stick it into my mouth and pull the trigger.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Revolver isn’t bad as long as you don’t have to reload. I’ve domed plenty of people who had shotguns / uzis with the revolver. As long as they don’t have a helmet it’s an instant kill.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
You should be able to affix a 2x to handguns.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Or dual wield. John Woo's Battlegrounds

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I think they could relax the early game RNG situation a bit by buffing pistols - namely, the revolver should either do more damage or be able to fire faster and the P18c should be more common amongst the pistol spawns.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

Fart Car '97 posted:

The early game scramble is one of the best/most fun parts of the game imo

Agreed, there's nothing like the "gently caress gently caress gently caress where's a gun poo poo go back the other way I heard a shotgun" moments at the start when you drop Rozhok.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Start the game off with a zip gun or a FP-45 liberator or something. You only get one bullet and reloading takes longer than the Nagant, so you better make it count.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Duo takedown with revolver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o9zZBs76gI I'm slightly better now, I promise :v:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There should be a katana in the care package that one-shots people.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There should also be a gorilla suit or an Elvis/Dolly Parton costume.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sasquatch Skin, just make the gillie suit brown

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

as a professional game developer i believe they should add purchasable consumable tokens for level 3 armor upgrades at the start of the game

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Rite Of Massage posted:

as a professional game developer i believe they should add purchasable consumable tokens for level 3 armor upgrades at the start of the game

Would at least give me something to use all the steambux I got from the founders pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

odiv posted:

Or dual wield. John Woo's Battlegrounds

Look up Bullets And More Royale for the VR experience where you can do just that

• Locked thread