Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I am getting very frustrated with EUIV.

Keep trying to play as Castile, yet every time I play I run into some sort of game-ending scenario.

Aside from what everyone already said, I find Castile kind of a tricky starting nation: while you will eventually become a major power 99% of the time, you're going to have to be pretty careful in managing your poo poo, because until you get the PU over Aragon (which can take decades sometimes) you're not even a great power, and you're pretty isolated by the rest of Europe - but right next to THE major European power, France, which will probably want to steal your land and is a fuckin pain to deal with even in the best conditions and as an experienced player. If you ally them they'll protect you from any trouble but you're going to have trouble expanding in Europe (until you get to form spain and integrate Aragon and naples at least... But that'll be a while), if you antagonize them you're in for a lot of hard wars.

And if you're thinking to start as France, think again... They come with their own set of struggles in the beginning, especially trouble allying anyone and everyone else ganging up against you. It's impossible to outright lose as those countries, but doing well right at the start isn't as guaranteed as you'd think.

As a first nation for a beginner I would recommend the Ottomans, then you can pretty much do whatever you want without a worry. You can always ally Muslim nations at least, sometimes even France, and really you don't even need allies at the start since you just outclass everyone around you by a mile. They kinda peter out mid to late game but by then you'll be unstoppable anyways.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah don't play Castile, play Ottomans or Muscovy or something like that where you can just keep conquering. Western Europe is one of the more difficult parts of the map for unexpected diplomatic upsets.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I am only a beginner at EU4 but I find southeast Asia is a pretty good area for getting a handle on the game. Europe has a lot of fiddly preexisting alliances, unique government types and stuff like the Holy Roman Empire and the Papacy all adding extra layers of complexity to the game. Southeast Asia is pretty much just the basic game mechanics.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity
I did the French PU as England many many patches ago, the trick is to drain french manpower by constantly being at war. Wars big enough that the french will lose manpower from battles and sieges, but not big enough that you have to contribute your own troops. Aragon+France sounds difficult, but its probably much the same.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Hey quick question, how is people's experience with the Parliament mechanic?

e: For context, never played with it yet and I am considering it in a theory craft I am putting together but I have no experience how it actually plays out. But just looking at the paper the bonuses it gives are insanely good. It's this or go Theocracy through Tibet that I am pondering.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 5, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Practically non-existent. Sorry. :(

The endless bribing, and associated penalties, is just too much of a hassle for me. Maybe one day I'll give it a serious try.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Groogy posted:

e: For context, never played with it yet and I am considering it in a theory craft I am putting together but I have no experience how it actually plays out. But just looking at the paper the bonuses it gives are insanely good.

I hate it because you don't get access to the nobility estate.

Missing out on all those juice military points and 40 tradition generals. :mad:

And the things you put up for a vote (in the English version at least) are literally useless.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

MrBling posted:

And the things you put up for a vote (in the English version at least) are literally useless.

-5% build cost?
-15% culture conversion cost?
-10% advisor cost?
-10% development cost?
-1% army&naval tradition decay?

Besides that you have the local modifier on every seat of 10% manpower, tax modifier and production efficiency.

Though Theocracy besides the government having a lot less flavor that gives it bonuses it could be a lot stronger with the 25% more tax etc.

e: I also forgot the random development you get from 3 of the issues and the +2% mercantilism you also get from another.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 5, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I've not used that since it first got introduced and back then it was really poo poo because you got the autonomy floor and only 1 decision was actually good. And it's really annoying to get those decisions passed in the first place, so most of them weren't even worth bribing for.

Maybe it got fixed since then but it was one of the rather bad flavour things added in a DLC. And it's a bad joke compared to what Russia got.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Groogy posted:

-5% build cost?
-15% culture conversion cost?
-10% advisor cost?
-10% development cost?
-1% army&naval tradition decay?

Besides that you have the local modifier on every seat of 10% manpower, tax modifier and production efficiency.

Though Theocracy besides the government having a lot less flavor that gives it bonuses it could be a lot stronger with the 25% more tax etc.

e: I also forgot the random development you get from 3 of the issues and the +2% mercantilism you also get from another.

The problem is, you're spending a bunch of money/monarch points/etc to get these things, so it mostly just ends up coming out even in my experience. Not to mention it's a random chance, and if you fail it you lose a big bundle of prestige. It just ends up being some tedious thing that people just click once every decade or so and then just ignore completely.

There's also a pretty big problem of these governments killing your maximum absolutism (and for whatever bizarre reason, assigning seats also hits absolutism, pretty much dropping it to zero when you first switch over and have to assign like 10 of them), which in itself is a good enough reason for people to avoid them. The modifier for the seats does neutralize the loss of the nobility though in my opinion and is really good.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 5, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

e: For context, never played with it yet and I am considering it in a theory craft I am putting together but I have no experience how it actually plays out. But just looking at the paper the bonuses it gives are insanely good. It's this or go Theocracy through Tibet that I am pondering.
I avoid it at all costs because dealing with it is just a hassle, especially as a larger country. As a smaller country, like England at the start, it aint so bad, but late game, if you are huge it is just far too tedious. Also the No Nobility Estate is a non-starter for me.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah being one of the Absolutism-destroying government types is almost never worth it. I think that Absolutism is by far one of the worst new mechanics added to any Paradox game; it's very exploitable by the player but the AI isn't so good at making use of it, and its introduction singlehandedly ruined the interesting decision making between different government types, because the answer is now always "whatever government lets you get to 100 absolutism". A gigantic unneeded nerf to republics and constitutional monarchies which also bizarrely makes despotic monarchy into one of the best governments in the game.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I am getting very frustrated with EUIV.

Keep trying to play as Castile, yet every time I play I run into some sort of game-ending scenario. Here's a few.

Inherit Burgundy, HRE wants all my provinces, kills me.

Ally with England; England declares war on France, France+Aragon+Papal States all invade and try to take all my provinces while England does poo poo.

Get the personal union with Aragon, then luck into a PU with France. France is still recovering from a devastating war, only has 20k soldiers, I have 37k, yet France is given a 200x more powerful rating than me so it wants liberty non-stop, England supports their bid, and I get hosed over. Also, civil wars galore.

Become defender of the Faith, only for Bohemia to go Protestant, attack a Catholic minor, and when I march my troops up there, they massacre all 50k with only 30-40k, then march into my land and take everything.

There are some traps that can compromise you more han you expect, and soon you'll be aware of them.

Defender of a Faith, like being Holy roman Emperor, means you will be called into distant wars anytime, even while you are planning your own stuff. It's not something to pursue lightly. Ideally, you should be a dominant power in your region and/or have a good network of alliances to fall back upon if you're going this way.

Allying with England is always a bad option. They don't really care, the AI is not stellar at landing troops in a smart way, and they often have powerful enemies like France and Scandinavia, meaning you'll be called to defend, and unlike England, YOU will have lots of mainland provinces for the enemy to siege, meaning the fighting will happen on your turf.

As for Castile, there is a sort of procedure to getting it to break out. Basically, see whomever has rivaled France: ideally, Austria and one other local power. Marry/ally them, fabricate on their provinces. Heck, sometime it's even good to attack the english land in France so you get it and can force France into attacking you, meaning your allies will be sure to defend. Take a few loans if you need, let your allies do the brunt of fighting adding in your stacks to decide battles, grab good land and give provinces to your allies. The faster you break France, them more room you'll have to breathe.

Inheriting/Personal Unions can be tricky to manage. When it is a sizable country, pretty much always enable the option to support loyalists and develop their provinces a bit to keep the liberty desire down. Keep relations high with your subject and with neighbors so they are less lileky to support independence. Also, grab as many cheap/easy provinces as you can in Granada/Africa, as the larger you are, the less liberty desire you'll face.

Basically, as Castile, you really want Austria as an ally, especially if you want to get Burgundy and keep it. Denmark is far away and harder to get, but their 3-in-1 deal helps a lot in defending your gains!

As for rebellions...early on, don't be afraid to boost local autonomy to prevent rebellions. It doesn't hurt your absolutism until later on. Alternatively, if it's a good province and your manpower is good, -reduce- autonomy and send in a missionary to hurry the revolt along while your troops are in the province. You'll get terrain bonuses, win easily, and the place will quiet down or a while.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Groogy posted:

Absolutism is king. Otherwise, pretty good gov't type even if you can't afford to pass legislation, great if you can.

L0VE
May 3, 2010
I was actually considering staying as a Tribal Democracy when doing a Busoga play through and not reforming into a republic, since the primitive government forms don't get the absolutism penalty. Realized I had the wrong difficulty enabled about 100 years in so I started a horde game instead. But really, I think a balancing pass for all government types would be healthy for the game, maybe Iqta is good with Cradle of Civilization?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

L0VE posted:

I was actually considering staying as a Tribal Democracy when doing a Busoga play through and not reforming into a republic, since the primitive government forms don't get the absolutism penalty. Realized I had the wrong difficulty enabled about 100 years in so I started a horde game instead. But really, I think a balancing pass for all government types would be healthy for the game, maybe Iqta is good with Cradle of Civilization?

Based on the details in the DD (which are obviously subject to change) I think Iqta is going to be one of the "never change out of this" government types. Every 20 years you choose between 15% tax, 5% RCC or -15% subject liberty desire. Government bonuses desperately need a balance pass because there's very little sense any more that higher tech level governments have any advantage over lower ones, which makes no sense.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

What're good ways to generate absolutism anyway? I usually grab the +1 per year age boost but that's about it, should I be lowering autonomy wherever possible and suppressing/fighting the rebels it makes?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Watch this: https://youtu.be/_Oi9DkyqoPA

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ro5s posted:

What're good ways to generate absolutism anyway? I usually grab the +1 per year age boost but that's about it, should I be lowering autonomy wherever possible and suppressing/fighting the rebels it makes?

Reman's got you covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oi9DkyqoPA

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Cool, thanks, I'm getting close to the end of the Age of Reformation in my Sweden game, so let's see how disastrously trying this goes :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spamming legitimacy boosts it really fast so anytime there's an opportunity to reduce legitimacy (via events or estate modifiers) I just take that option and then immediately boost legitimacy back up

Reimann mentions this as an option in his video but also presents more efficient options

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I’m doing a saxony run and got to my second idea set and a bit stumped which way to go. I’d like to go defensive but I’d kinda like to get ahead of the reformation and get either humanism or religious and don’t know which would be better for a form Germany run. Any tips/advice?

Fwiw: it’s 1480 and reform desire is at 38 so I’m thinking the reformation is going to be a while away.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Reman's "crush the reformation" video got removed for "Violating youtube's policy on harmful or dangerous content." :wtc:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

reignonyourparade posted:

Reman's "crush the reformation" video got removed for "Violating youtube's policy on harmful or dangerous content." :wtc:

Thirty years war is serious business

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:lol: It is kind of weird listening to the tips, but eh all solid tips and advice.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Playing my first game as Castile after watching some Youtube tutorials, it's 1467. Early on I allied Navarre, succesfully defended them against Aragon and eventually annexed them diplomatically, then Reconquisted Granada, and fabricated some claims on Aragon which I decided to press.

During the 2nd war with Aragon, my 2nd heir (managed to kill Enrique the 1st through having him as a general) suddenly died of sickness. The new heir is Isabel, which the wiki tells me lets me fire a special event to get her wed to form Spain, so sweet. Because of this, I decided to go light on Aragon since I'm (hopefully) going to get them anyway, and I only claimed 3 territories: Zaragoza, Alicante, and Valencia.

Now I have Catalonian separatists. None of these counties are in Catalonia. What :confused:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well we wouldn't want any Holy Roman emperor's getting any ideas.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

metasynthetic posted:

Playing my first game as Castile after watching some Youtube tutorials, it's 1467. Early on I allied Navarre, succesfully defended them against Aragon and eventually annexed them diplomatically, then Reconquisted Granada, and fabricated some claims on Aragon which I decided to press.

During the 2nd war with Aragon, my 2nd heir (managed to kill Enrique the 1st through having him as a general) suddenly died of sickness. The new heir is Isabel, which the wiki tells me lets me fire a special event to get her wed to form Spain, so sweet. Because of this, I decided to go light on Aragon since I'm (hopefully) going to get them anyway, and I only claimed 3 territories: Zaragoza, Alicante, and Valencia.

Now I have Catalonian separatists. None of these counties are in Catalonia. What :confused:

They have Catalan culture, I assume?

You can see some weird stuff happen with client states and separatists later on but you're not there yet. If you take a look at the counties, Catalonia should have a core on them because of the culture.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Remember, remember the Fifth of November.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Eldred posted:

They have Catalan culture, I assume?

You can see some weird stuff happen with client states and separatists later on but you're not there yet. If you take a look at the counties, Catalonia should have a core on them because of the culture.

Technically I think it doesn't have the core just the culture (unless any of the rebels have occupied appropriate provinces), but a province without a core of a country with that primarily culture will default to seperatists the standard country for that culture. Aragon actually has Aragonese as it's primary culture, not Catalan, so Catalonia it is. (Zaragoza should probably have Aragonese seperatists if I remember correctly.)

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I was all set to finally dismantle the HRE...and then I couldn't.

Only three electors left, one of them my vassal. So I decalred war on one (Netherlands) to make the emperor (Luxembourg) protect him and thus force all electors to be either at war with me or on my side. I occupy them both fully..and the option doesn't appear.

I swallow all of the emperor to try and get the seat to switch to one I can invade next...and -I- become emperor, meaning i cannot dismantle it. What's wrong?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Did you occupy the emperor's capitol as well?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sephyr posted:

I was all set to finally dismantle the HRE...and then I couldn't.

Only three electors left, one of them my vassal. So I decalred war on one (Netherlands) to make the emperor (Luxembourg) protect him and thus force all electors to be either at war with me or on my side. I occupy them both fully..and the option doesn't appear.

I swallow all of the emperor to try and get the seat to switch to one I can invade next...and -I- become emperor, meaning i cannot dismantle it. What's wrong?

If you hover over the button, it should tell you what you're missing.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Did you occupy the emperor's capitol as well?

Yes. I basically had all electors and the emperor either fulyl sieged or as my vassals. The option doesn't even show grayed out in the peace deal window. Could it be because the emperor was a co-belligerent instead of the main target?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Yes. I basically had all electors and the emperor either fulyl sieged or as my vassals. The option doesn't even show grayed out in the peace deal window. Could it be because the emperor was a co-belligerent instead of the main target?

did you look in the HRE screen...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

yeah dissolve button is on the HRE screen, not the peace screen

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

yeah dissolve button is on the HRE screen, not the peace screen

And it's grayed out saying I cannot dissolve the HRE since I'm the Emperor. Does it have to be done WHILE at war? Ugghhh.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sephyr posted:

And it's grayed out saying I cannot dissolve the HRE since I'm the Emperor. Does it have to be done WHILE at war? Ugghhh.

Yeah. You have to be in a war involving all of the electors + the emperor, and of those fighting against you you need to occupy their capitols. That's how it's done.

If you're determined to dismantle the HRE instead of using your emperor powers to get a bunch of free land, what you can do is make all of the electors hate you, thereby causing you to lose the title when your ruler dies. Then go to war again and dismantle the whole thing

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, you have to be at war since you must occupy the emperor's capital, and you can't be the emperor. Which is silly because Napoleon didn't disband the empire, Francis II did, to preempt Napo from usurping the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

What is a good pair of countries I can use to teach a newer player? They have 20 hours or so, I'm around 800.

I'm thinking western European colonizers, or Poland + Brandenburg/teutons.

• Locked thread