Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Use rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Use rope, whatever set the trap is probably close and will probably grab the sheep before we get back.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

rope a dope

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Use Rope! posted:

You search the top of the pit to find a large rock to tie your Rope to and then use it to enter the pit, Theo climbing down after you.

- "My Agility is low and so is yours. I'm glad you had that Rope!"

You move among the spikes. The trap was obviously made by an intelligent being.

1. Take the sheep out of the pit and leave.

2. Search the pit.

FYI, we will hopefully be facing a boss on this optional quest. There are multiple challenges before that, including a surprise combat against three armed opponents I'll reveal this update. Theo reduces that challenge's difficulty or allows us to survive it entirely if we forego a Stat increase for lack of self-confidence. Probably good that he's here for story purposes (there are no Relations possible unfortunately).

The pit's Agility challenge hits you with the same damage as falling into the pit if you fail a 40 Agility Check, which Renata would have done if she climbed down the pit unaided. Using a Rope or Thief Harness can avoid the damage. Well done.

We're already searching the pit. Results are automatic.

In the Pit... posted:

The grass-covered pit filled with spikes is brutally efficient. You can see the bloody stains from its past victims. It likely wasn't set for the sheep specifically, but if left untended, it could wipe out a large number of them.

That last sentence is what happens if you ignore this mini-quest (-100 Sheep) or leave it before the pit is investigated. As Slyph guessed, coming back later means the sheep are gone.

So what's in the pit?

Searching Pit posted:

A crack in the side of the pit's wall draws your eyes. You realize that it's a secret door!

While you search the pit, Theo is examining the wounded sheep and doing what he can for them. Both sheep are unconscious and not seriously injured. Theo frowns as he recognizes the design of the spikes on which they are impaled.

- "Kobold work. Why did it have to be Kobolds?"

You frown. "Most of the stories I've heard say Kobolds are weak and puny. Why should we fear them?"

- "Have you not heard the stories of Kobolds' traps and group tactics? They definitely qualify as smart monsters."

You cross your arms and glare, deciding to confront him about something. "You manipulated Master Jett into taking this route, didn't you? You were hoping we'd meet some smart monsters."

- "Yep. It enables me to test you and find out more about what sort of person you are. I won't tell you exactly why I'm doing that right now, but it has to do with whether I want you coming along to investigate the map you say is inside my box."

You glare at him again. "Don't you mean our box? I killed that Troll who was carrying it, not you. All you did was distract it, keep our fellow guards alive, and give me advice. I will accept your help with the quest inside the Box, but it is our Box and our quest! Not just mine or yours."

You are not sure why you feel it best to insist on such terms, but Theo nods in agreement.

- "As you say, Renata. Our box. Our quest."

Thanks to Sullat and my own wife for inspiring this aspect of Renata's possible love affair with Theo. :waves:

For more information on Kobolds, the adversaries for this side quest, click here. Again, the Daria version of this monster is pretty much the same as the D&D one.

How do we approach the Kobolds' Lair? posted:

You smile at Theo's words, your heart clenching. You are still unsure how you feel about him. All your previous relationships have been casual limited encounters like Steffan was, and you do not yet know how this friendship that has led to Theo becoming your mentor as an Adventurer will progress. The facts that he is only a few years older than you, in contrast to your previous Mentors Harmond and Sister Geri, and that he seems attracted to you despite his rejecting your flowers, are both welcome in a strange way.

"Thank you. I think we should confront the Kobolds that created this pit. This secret door I just found probably leads to their lair. Any ideas?"

- "A few. We could set a trap within this trap to lure and ambush any Kobolds that lurk behind that door."

"I don't think I have the Devices Skill for that. Do you?"

- "No. We could just leave the lair alone and leave. It's probable the Kobolds behind the door, if they're listening to us, are too frightened to attack us if not directly challenged. We could seal the door shut using a Hammer and Spikes if you are unsure."

"That sounds like it would negate us gaining anything from fighting the Kobolds. Besides, I don't have a Hammer and Spikes."

- "Nor do I."

The Hammer and Spikes is a stupid gimmick item here. It might have more uses in the future. You can decide if we want to pick it up later and find out. I felt I should show off the gimmick after falling prey to it once like that other earlier choice with the illness we'd get running back to get Leigh Anne's cloak. I'm condensing this encounter for narrative purposes, obviously. Not every encounter will be written like this. I don't have the ability to map out every part of these games and I want to retain some reader participation. There will be plenty of it in the future, don't worry.

Eliminated Fail Option of trapping the door (needs 40 devices IIRC, helping the sheep with alarm traps actually needed 30 per later checking, my bad). Other eliminated options per our build will be listed below the next choice.

Possible Successes posted:

You cast a Divination Spell to confirm that three Kobolds with spears are lurking behind the secret door. As Theo hinted, they are listening to you and they will not attack you if not directly challenged. Theo seems to know a bit more than you about these smart monsters. You get a picture of what the monsters look like from your Divination spell.

- "There are other options. You could ask me to open the door and deal with everything behind it. As a large mid-level Barbarian, I could probably handle three Kobolds alone. Or you could support me in battle after first opening the door yourself. You could use your Magic, your fists, or your Dagger. Or you could throw your Dagger at the first Kobold and then use Magic or Unarmed attacks."

You decide to-

1. Tell Theo to open the door and let him deal with the Kobolds.

2. Open the door and support Theo with Magic against the Kobolds (needs Magic 35, will succeed, if we were alone the check to fight the Kobolds alone with Magic would be 45).

3. Take the sheep out of the pit and leave the Kobolds behind the door alone.

We could also use Arrows to support Theo if we had a Bow. IIRC using a Bow alone requires taking damage on top of increased Skill because you have to back away from the door before you can shoot. Throwing a Dagger at the first Kobold is another way to reduce this encounter's difficulty, but you'll need 40 Agility or Blades to succeed IIRC and failing means you take damage. Too much damage, and you won't be fighting the Kobold Boss later (see below).

Even with the lowered Skill Check difficulty for having Theo along, I checked this encounter and confirmed that fighting 3 Kobolds armed with spears is beyond us per the game at any but one of our current combat Skills- again, Magic. 20 Unarmed plus Theo will let us triumph over the enemy, but we'll take 50% damage and pass out, then end this side quest. Not sure why that would happen. I think 40 Unarmed is enough to beat the three Kobolds alone- otherwise you'll be knocked out going up against three enemies armed with spears. The game does not tell you how much Unarmed Skill you need if you try and fail. :argh:

Theo will also be knocked out if he handles the Kobolds alone- IMHO it is not amusing that our primary fighter ally for Lost Heir cannot handle three puny Kobolds. :argh: Regardless of whether he is with us for this combat, Theo cannot aid us against the boss inside the Kobold lair even if he is present and not injured for reasons the game does not clearly state. I'll cover that plot hole next update. If you want to see Theo knocked out for comedy, I can do that and we can still handle the three Kobolds ourselves in a "what really happened" bit. I'll do a Steam rollback, repeating all current choices if you want. I prefer handling this ourselves or in support of Theo if possible, either gives the same Stat increase.

:siren: If you prefer, I can even exchange 10 Stealth for 10 Unarmed in a rollback per earlier play with Gale- we'll still keep the rat stalking quest for story purposes. Sister Geri could give us 3 Unarmed and then 30 more instead of 3 Religion, 18 Magic, and 3 Arcana, but I prefer we stick with Magic for some story bits I have later concerning Jess. I think we can still get Ki Strike and other cool Monk abilities that don't depend on Unarmed if we keep Magic and properly play some future choices. We could also get our Unarmed higher by future class levels, training, and the free hit encounters I mentioned earlier. Let me know if you want this. I don't think we'll ever do much with our current Stealth later on. :siren:

The obvious choice to proceed above is #2, but for pacing I'll let readers confirm it before updating again later tonight (tentative 0100 CST). If anyone is wondering whether this quest is worth it, the answer is yes. Keep going and we'll find out why.

Stats posted:

Stats

Renata, the Monk

Health: 100%

Specialized Training: 1 Monk level.

INVENTORY
- a Pouch on your belt containing 100 Gold Pieces (GP)
- an expensive Spellbook in a special holster
- a Dagger in your sleeve

A Backpack containing:
- a black Runebag with 3 glowing Demon Stones and 1 unglowing Demon Stone in it.
- a Rope.
- a water skin.
- flint and steel.
- a sleeping roll.

Animal Companions, Pets, and Familiars- None.
Mounts- None.

MORALITY:
Good: 49% Evil: 51%

ABILITIES:
Agility: 22%
Charm: 43%
Endurance: 20%
Perception: 33%
Strength: 20%
Willpower: 20%

SKILLS:
Archery: 0%
Devices: 0%
Magic: 53%
Blades: 0%
Stealth: 13%
Unarmed: 23%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 55%
Geography: 33%
History: 43%
Nature: 20%
Religion: 55%

RELATIONSHIPS:
Gale, friend and future Rogue 63%
Sister Geri, our Mentor 81%
Karla, Archer friend 74%
Theo, barbarian warrior, possible love interest 64%

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

No take backs. Cover theo

We will stand by our poor decisions! Keep theo conscious to marvel at our powers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Magic pew pew zap

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Early update because we have a choice of options for the boss encounter. More time for votes might be a good idea.

Takebacks- Ok, just thought I'd throw the idea out there when I found something that wouldn't affect our build that much during my testing. It's ok if people don't want to do it. I showed off the Unarmed successes against the Troll in text just so people would know what they do. Unarmed successes do get better and Magic also remains fun. And there's probably enough opportunities in the series that a few mistakes won't matter too much. I'll leave the idea on the table till the next update arrives just in case any Unarmed fans decide to speak up.

Kobold Battle posted:

You open the door. Three brown-scaled creatures immediately pour out! They are small, perhaps only three feet tall, but they have sharp short spears that they wave about with intensity.

1. Throw your dagger at the first Kobold.

2. Defend yourself with magic.

3. Defend yourself with your hands.

Take note that we have to open the door ourselves to use Magic or other attacks here. Theo can still open the door if we have a Bow and choose to support him with Archery. Otherwise, we're at risk for the first attack. Picking Option 2...

Use Magic to Kill Enemies posted:

You cast quickly, creating a shimmering shield between you and the spears. Theo steps forward with his large hammer to help finish the fight. Between his hammer and your Magic missiles, the Kobolds are soon killed and left in a heap on the ground.
(Magic +3)

The secret door swung shut again during the fight. Theo looks at it, then back at you.

- "Good work."

"Thanks for the help. I think I could have handled this alone, though."

- "Why don't you prove that for me? Go into their lair and see if there are any more Kobolds inside. It looks too small for me anyway. I'll get the sheep out of this pit and look around for the others that went missing. Any treasure you find in the lair is yours. Take too long, I'll get the other guards and send some in after you. I have confidence you will succeed."

You beam at Theo and turn back to the door after he moves away.

The door opens to show a dark tunnel that is only four feet high. It is too small for Theo, but you find you can carefully enter alone. Bent over slightly, you are able to proceed. The Kobolds who live inside this tunnel must have some kind of dark vision, since you can see no torches or lanterns.

1. Proceed in the dark.

2. Cast a spell to create a magical glow.

3. Return to the surface.

This is where you want a Lantern if you don't have 20 Magic. Seriously, does anyone know of a CYOA style game where "Proceed in the dark" is a good idea? The game doesn't spell out that the tunnel is too small for Theo, so I did.

Proceeding with Option 2.

Let there be light posted:

The spell creates a small ball of light for you to see by.
(Magic +2)

The tunnel is shorter than you thought. You find a small living area with filthy sleeping pallets, a small table, and a few trinkets. There doesn't appear to be anything valuable in the room. Just when you think that there is nothing for you, a scream makes you turn toward a fourth scaled creature, bigger than the others and wearing a necklace made from animal teeth.

This is clearly the leader of the Kobolds, and it is angry that you have entered its lair. It jabbers at you with high-pitched barks and waves a pair of curved bone clubs, then rushes to attack.

1. Attempt to kill it with your Dagger.

2. Attempt to wrestle the creature to the ground and choke it into unconsciousness.

3. Attempt to kill it with a blast of fire.

4. Attempt to sidestep the attacking kobold and steal the necklace as it passes.

5. Speak to the Kobold leader.

6. Run back to the surface.

I adjusted this enemy's weapons to match the pic I decided on. No canon weapons are immediately mentioned in the game text, though I think it jabs you with a spear like its minions if it knocks you out (happens automatically with “proceed in the dark”). I crossed out the options that will fail. Our Magic or our Charm could help us out here. We can also run away if you prefer. The Kobold Leader's Necklace is the Artifact for which we came. I'll check in around 1700 tomorrow to see if and how we pick it up.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 7, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kill it with fire!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Speak to it. Mostly because I'm genuinely interested in ho the heck this will turn out.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Had no idea you can use hammer and spikes here, learned something.

Likewise curious what speaking to it would actually do, but kill with fire seems like the more sensible choice.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Diplomacy, we need the practice if nothing else.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, update ready early. We are 2-2 on using Magic vs. Charm. I'll show off a Charm success with no bonus in original content since enough people asked about it but give us the better reward from using Magic. This encounter is the first in LH that makes it clear that, as in many Choice games, just because a tactic can work does not mean it is best. We will face situations where even success on a Skill check still means we take damage or don't get treasure, same as a failure if possibly at less worse result. This would be one of those events if we had used Charm. Charm might work to our best advantage in other combat encounters later. I'll leave it ultimately up to voters to officially decide.

Negotiation Fail... posted:

You yell at the Kobold Leader as it lunges, barely jumping aside. "I mean you no harm!" The Kobolds outside hadn't been much threat, you think, but their leader might be different.

The Kobold Leader frowns, lowers its weapons, and starts barking at you again. You can discern that the creature can understand but not speak the Common Darian language, so you cast a cantrip to make yourself comprehend its words.

- "Leave my lair or die, human witch! You will not take my mystic Necklace of Nature! Let me leave alive with my Necklace and you get to live!"

You can sense its fear and that you have the advantage in killing the Kobold Leader. "Sorry, no deal."

The Kobold Leader resumes its earlier violent action.

You sidestep the creature's attacks and extend your hand. A gout of fire erupts from your palm, burning the kobold to ash. It falls to the ground dead.
(Magic +3)

This dead Kobold has mostly the same things as the others. Lice-infested clothing and a useless short spear, plus the two shaped bone clubs. The bone Necklace it wears looks interesting, though. You pick it up and feel a rush of sudden wisdom flow into your brain. You realize that the Necklace is imbued with Shamanistic Magic.

(Gained Necklace of Nature: +20 Nature)

Artificer Achievement Progress 25%.
This Necklace gives us a chance to become a Druid or Ranger even with minimum prior Nature Knowledge, provided we have enough Skill in Magic or Archery to back our Nature up. Renata can become a Druid now, if she wants to at second Class level, despite no Nature training before. Geography is now our lowest Knowledge stat.

Speaking to the Kobold Leader awards +3 Charm but no Necklace. It jabbers at you in language you can't understand and then runs away. I'm not sure if there's a check involved. I haven't tried speaking to it with any character whose Charm is low. Getting the Necklace requires combat or successful pickpocketing (Agility) check.

Now to start wrapping up our first quest.

Kobold Encounter Resolved posted:

You search the lair further, but find no other Kobolds or treasure. You return up the tunnel to find Theo waiting for you. You show him the Necklace you found.

- "Nice. We got lucky too. This was just a small band of Kobolds. If there was a large tribe waiting to ambush the caravan, things might have been messier."

"And whose fault would it have been if we'd stumbled into that? The man who 'knows the roads'?"

Theo shrugs at your sarcasm.

- "Testing my potential new adventuring partner's character is worth such risk. Come, we should return to Master Jett before he gets worried."

You climb out of the trap, taking the two injured sheep with you. You and Theo each carry one. You don't have to go far as you see a man standing a few feet from the pit's edge.

Master Jett exclaims as he steps toward you.

- "You're alive!"

He happily takes the two injured sheep from you and passes them to the shepherds rushing forward from nearby. Two of your fellow young guards are also present. They tell you they found the prize ewes in another spiked pit not far away. Neither ewe was seriously injured and there was no sign of any Kobolds in the vicinity.

As the day progresses, the sheep flock is carefully detoured around the network of Kobold pit traps and no more sheep are injured. Master Jett is pleased by what you have done for his herd thus far and raises a cup of mead in honor of you and Theo at that evening's meal. All the gathered shepherds and other guards cheer.

The rest of the that week's travel is quiet as you leave the forest duchy of Uddo far behind and voyage across the plains of the Eddan duchy. It seems hard to believe that only six years ago, all of these lands were a part of one kingdom, Daria, and under the loving care of your parents. Now the land seems broken and desolate, the Dukes' government disorganized and not as able with economics as your parents' administration. Many farms you pass lie fallow, their fields untended. Others have large storehouses torn apart and empty, their contents seized by Duke Eddan's expanding military. The shepherd Jethro, who has family in the area and has befriended you since you helped his young daughter Leigh Anne, chats with you about this as you progress.

- "Eddan's fallen on hard times since King Brand and Queen Jade died. The local Duke denies this ill fortune and keeps saying he'll make things great again one day. Meanwhile, he keeps building up the military, the cavalry in particular. The city of Ludd, once a busy trading town known for their horses, is still a thriving hub of commerce and trade, but that may change in the future."

"What about the other duchies?' Isolated in Elmvale, you have not been paying much attention to Daria as a whole.

- "Uddo's doing well. Lots of good trade deals between it, Bandar, and Dumain. Bandar's got the bad end of things, though. The Consortium of Planewalkers, the other Dukes, and the Norgan Barbarians keep screwing over Duke Bandar on various treaties and contracts. Duchess Selina of Dumain has a lot of personal wealth and intelligence, she's avoided virtually all poor decisions and investments in the past six years even though she's only recently become a major noble. Because of this Bandar's becoming the weakest of the duchies and Dumain the strongest by far. Uddo's holding on to the old capital of Tornassa after negotiating it away from Selina, but Selina has the political and trade hub of Brightwater to counterpoint. Eddan is holding on to his own power while seeking the military advantage. His army is still inferior to Dumain's and Uddo's though."

"What about Bandar's army?"

- "Bandar has barely any army to speak of. The Barbarians and Demons slipped from the Consortium's control have seen to that."

You have gotten to know Jethro better than any other shepherd this trip. You have learned that like Theo, he is much smarter and more eloquent that he lets on around other people, especially Master Jett. In the last few days of the trip, you learn why he behaves so.

Jethro is my original framing device for the possibility of robbing Master Jett of his sheep. The classic betrayal by a trusted employee. The way Renata has been written so far, she would not have come up with the plan to rob and murder Jett and the resources to carry it out on her own. Lost Heir's canon text smooths that process over if you choose to rob Jett, thus leaving some plot holes that need resolution. Some other issues are also resolved below.

The decision to rob or spare Jett- first choice of 3- is at the end of this update. I am going to play this decision out as presented in the LH text. We will have to confirm our decision to rob Jett three times if we want to do it. I will present what each choice- spare or rob Jett- will mean for us with hints as to the canon and original rewards/consequences of both paths for Renata as she learns them before each confirmation. She learns of Jethro's plan and what it might mean for her first, then learns of how helping him carry it out could impact the rest of the caravan characters (Jett, the other four surviving young guards, Leigh Anne, the other shepherds) and perhaps her kingdom in the future, then how it might impact her budding relationship with Theo. She has to agree to help Jethro rob Jett at each checkpoint to progress, disagreement at any point means we give up and go back to the main plot.

Doing it this way is a bit like a social psychology experiment, which I think fits the game's original intent. We will have the ability to decide when Renata should back out if we like, it can be the last minute if you prefer (there is a nice possible bit of drama available as a choice for that which could work well with this LP). Or she can go all the way and make it either a descent to the Dark Side or a great sin she will later have to overcome yet always live with. The game allows both ways.

This decision will have impact on both Renata's Relations with Theo in LH1 (he is the only companion who will know what she's done if Jett is robbed) and a Stat bonus we'll have the potential to earn in LH2. LH1 game number details are under spoilers at end of this update along with more discussion of what robbing or sparing Jett will mean. Story details first.

Parable Framing posted:

Three days away from Ludd, the caravan's progress has not been further impeded. There have been no further dangers from monsters and your wards are doing their job helping keep away lesser predators. However, there is increasing drama among the other people in the caravan to which you bear witness.

First, Ted is caught stealing from Theo's tent by the large warrior. You and the other three young guards are called to Theo's tent to witness Theo's counseling Ted. As you head over, Bobby, Mary, and Vicky chat with each other about the event.

-"My brother a thief? I can't believe it! Yes, he's been doing extra watches again lately and snooping around a lot of people's tents, but he told me he was just doing self-training for his Stealth skills!"

- "I thought he had a bladder problem of some kind."

- "I thought he was a Peeping Tom!"

You make no comment. Ted never snooped around your tent, wary of your wards. When you enter Theo's tent, Theo nods at you and then points a finger at Ted.

- "Tell them what you have decided."

- "I'm sorry. I'll never do it again. I didn't steal any money from anyone, no one here has much money anyway. A few of the shepherds think Master Jett might have a great deal of it after the sheep are sold, but not even he has more gold than our payroll right now. I didn't want to steal any of that."

-"Ted, what were you thinking?"

- "I'm sorry, Bobby. I was sure this job was not going to pay much. I wanted some extra income."

- "Renata, I know you've had some experiences in Temples. What would a Priest tell young Ted?"

You think, then reply. "Since Ted was hired to guard this caravan, to steal from it is Evil. It would not be completely Good to avoid stealing from it, but you would avoid Evil in doing so, and that is Good in its own way."

- "I could not have said that better. Ted, I will not tell Master Jett about your attempted thefts as long as you agree never to try them again from now on."

- "Yes sir, you got it. I will stop at once. Here's your coin purse back, by the way."

Theo glowers as he takes back the coins.

- "Thanks for stopping him, Theo. I've been thinking lately, the four of us need some better training if we're going to become Adventurers. Walking the path alone under independent self-employment is not working for us as well as it could."

- "Agreed. We should seek better education in battle and other Skills. Otherwise, we will forever be inept Guards."

- "But what could we do? Where could we find such training and still have the potential for adventure?"

- "And treasure. Don't forget that."

"Why don't you join the army?" you suggest to them. "I hear Ludd is building up its military."

- "The army! That could work."

- "But none of us know how to ride horses. Ludd is mainly cavalry. We'd wash out!"

"If you wash out in Ludd, try Brightwater. General Vale can find a place for anyone, even a washout from another military force." You are not sure if these suggestions will work out to your advantage one day, but it does not matter. The other young guards have been decent allies, if not friends, and it seems right to aid their future. General Vale will surely be able to assist them as an employer. "We might meet again someday, and I'd want you all to have better Skills then."

- "Renata, why do you keep talking like a queen?"

- "Because she's the best female guard here, and therefore our queen. Our king is Theo. We're just lessers, and we need to get better. I think joining the army is an excellent idea!"

"Yes," you encourage her, unsure but confident about doing so. "Gain adventure and the Skill to face it. Who knows, you might even see the world."

Ted and Bobby nod in agreement, pointing at you.

-"Join the army, she says."

- "See the world, she says."

- "Hmmph, I'd rather be sailing!"

The four young guards grumble to each other further, then leave the tent. You remain behind with Theo. "So, any more tests for me? Was this your third challenge?"

- "Part of it. Betrayal by a comrade is indeed something every Adventurer should worry about. But it is only part of a greater danger. Perhaps you have heard the story of the Wizard and the Nobleman?"

"Which one exactly?"

- "A Wizard and his Adventuring Party are hired by a Nobleman to retrieve a magical weapon from a sunken ship. They are allowed to keep the full portion of any other treasure they find. There turns out to be no treasure besides the weapon, and the weapon would be of great use to one of the Wizard's friends. It is not clear whether the Nobleman knew no other treasure would be found in the shipwreck. What does the Wizard do?"

Now you remember this story, many versions of which were told to you in your youth. "If the Wizard wants to be Good, he gives the Nobleman the weapon as agreed, never mind the power it might bring him and his friends. They can get the same power in other ways and it is better to be honorable than not. If the Wizard is instead inclined to Evil, he lies to the Nobleman and says there was no weapon in the shipwreck. Then he keeps the weapon for his friend. Or if he wants a third Neutral way, he tells the Nobleman there was no treasure besides the weapon and then demands, perhaps gets, a reward of gold."

You can play out the above story in Life of a Wizard. The young guards' comments are a homage to Warcraft 2 Footman dialogue that hints at their future fates in this run of Lost Heir 2 and 3. We won't see them again in LH 1, but they will appear later in the trilogy as an original subplot. I've worked in this content to keep the game progress a bit unpredictable even if only canon choices will be presented from now on and canon rewards given. I felt I had to entertain veterans, including myself.

The four young guards, future soldiers, sailors, and possibly mutineers, are not officially cast. You can imagine any actors of appropriate age and quality you like. Same for our heroine Princess.

Parable Conclusion, Theo's Offer posted:

Theo nods after you summarize the tale's various versions.

- "You forgot one possibility. If the Wizard is incredibly Evil, he kills the Nobleman, keeping the weapon and much of the Nobleman's wealth in revenge as penalty for real or imagined duplicity."

"I've never heard that version of the story."

- "Perhaps it is only told among my people. They have other legends about Evil Wizards, including one who agreed to fight a Magic-free duel with one of our great kings, then slayed him by cheating. Some of my people don't get along well with yours."

"Is that my fault?"

- "No. But if we are to adventure together in the future, in the Som'Reth Ruins mapped out in the Box we have not yet opened or anything else, I should know something. How would you respond if you were the Wizard faced with the Nobleman in that story?"

Your answer is honest. "I... don't know. I've never lived through such an experience before."

- "Think about it for a few days. I hope you will have your answer before we arrive in Ludd. I will go along with whatever answer you pick. I just want to know what sort of person you are. I have come to trust your Skill and bravery, that is enough for me to agree to adventure with you. This is merely a test of character. My own Mentors sometimes gave me such tests. Did yours?"

"No. I've heard stories, but Sister Geri was not that kind of Mentor."

- "Then I hope you will not take offense that I am otherwise. If it comforts you, know that I will still be your ally whatever you decide."

"You're not going to tell me the course you would prefer I take? Good or Evil?"

- "That would ruin what I am attempting here. Besides, remember earlier when I told you of my own experiences with Adventuring?"

"You said they had enriched and disillusioned you."

- "Yes. I was forced to leave my people seven years ago. I was about the same age you are now. I do not want to discuss the exact circumstances of why I had to leave my people at this time. But since then, I have faced many challenges as an Adventurer. Not all have been rewarding in the best ways."

You want to press him for more information. One question seems most important. "Why are you telling me this?"

- "Because we are friends."

"Are there other reasons?"

- "I will need your answer before I tell you. Before then, you may learn some of the reasons on your own."

He refuses to say anything further, so you turn to leave.

- "Oh, and Renata?"

You look back at him. "Yes?”

- "I've been thinking about our quest. We will need many things to complete it. The Ruins will be remote and dangerous. We'll need mounts, supplies, and trusted companions. I think we can find all these things in Ludd. Their Adventurers' Guildmaster, Wesley Chekhov, is known for placing the right parties together. I have worked with him before. In addition to that, he is adept at finding Adventurers the right Skillset to continue their training."

"Can you introduce me to this Chekhov?"

- "I can. I also wanted to tell you that I have some money in the Ludd Bank that I can use to help fund our quest. However, I would also like you to contribute."

You are surprised and protest. "I don't have much money."

- "After this trip ends, you will have more. I will not ask for more than 180 GP from you to help fund the quest. We will need money for supplies, to have the Thieves Guild get our Box open, to hire a local Sage to translate any of the Box's contents we cannot decipher, and perhaps to advertise for fellow Adventurers to join us. I will discuss more details with you after we arrive in Ludd."

You worry that what little money you might get from Master Jett will not be enough for all this. You have guarded the sheep well, but Master Jett is stingy and selfish. You decide not to share these concerns with Theo, though. It has been a long day. "Thank you. I shall think about it."

- "If you can contribute to the expedition's funding, I will allow you a full share and personal pick of the treasure we find. If not, I will have to hire you same as any other employee like our other party members would be. That is the standard agreement for Adventuring Parties per the Guild's rules."

"I know." You have a similar employment agreement with Master Jett, but Theo's details are different. Perhaps he wants you to think about something?

The canon game does not tell players beforehand that they will need a bit of extra money upon arrival in Ludd to help fund Theo's expedition to the Som'Reth Ruins and get full treasure from it. I thought I should. It will help us make the decision to rob or spare Jett.

Jethro's Big Reveal posted:

"Do you need any money right now?" you ask Theo.

- "Not until after we arrive in Ludd. I will allow you to collect your pay from Master Jett before you decide."

"Thanks." You head back to your tent.

Once you arrive, you are surprised to find Jethro waiting for you beside the tent. He looks worried. "Is something the matter?"

- "Yes. Can we talk inside your tent please?"

"Sure." You don't know Jethro well, but he has given you no reason not to trust him alone with you in your tent.

- "Thank you."

Jethro looks around, then follows you in. Once you are settled down inside, he explains his concerns.

- "Renata, thank you for seeing me. And thank you again for helping my daughter as you did. I also applaud how you have helped guard the sheep, defended everyone from the Troll, and discovered, then thwarted those Kobolds. Master Jett will not say anything like that to you, but I felt I should."

You can sense an ulterior motive in his flattery. "Go on please."

- "As you know, Master Jett sent a third of the shepherds away this morning. My daughter Leigh Anne went with them."

"Yes. He said they were to take the carts and wagons emptied of supplies ahead of us to Ludd. They could restock for the return trip and await us there. Master Jett asked my fellow guards and I to help tend the sheep for the rest of our trip since there would be reduced shepherds. That was not part of our original contract. We refused." Jett had reacted to your refusal with a shrug, saying it was worth a try.

- "I know. I have worked for 'Master Jett' almost twenty years now. I keep hoping he will become a better person. He never has. It is because of that I have been contemplating a certain course of action before and during this journey."

You open your mouth to ask for details, but before you can speak, Jethro provides them in a dramatic dump of information.

- "Before we left, it occurred to me that Jett could be taught a great and terrible lesson if his sheep were stolen from him on this journey. As you may know, that happened to his neighbor. If I made sure the sheep were stolen, I could sell them and make a lot of money. There would be some risk in doing so, and in selling stolen property, but I would make more than Jett would be paying me or anyone else here when we arrive in Ludd. I could even ensure that all my fellow employees, including yourself and your fellow guards, would be properly compensated for their service, in better amount than Jett is willing to provide.

"I have made contact with a young roadside bandit who is starting to establish himself in Daria's wilderness. He has a large gang and many black market contacts. He calls himself Trevor, the 'King of Thieves'. I want to take all those sheep outside from Master Jett and sell them to Trevor. I have realized I will need your help doing it, though."

You do not know what to say other than an obvious question. "Why me?"

- "Because it has become clear to me as I have observed your performance that you are the most able guard here. You have enough influence to get the others to join us, or at least to not interfere with us. With your help, I could do the same with the other shepherds. We're already vulnerable out here in the wilderness without experienced security. If enough of us can band together, and join with Trevor's gang, taking the sheep will be easy. Trevor does not think he can take the sheep by himself, at least not without more inside help than me alone.

"I have also realized something else. There is no way to take the sheep, get away with doing so, and keep the money from selling them without killing Master Jett. Yes, doing so would ruin the lesson I first intended to teach him, also impoverishing his wife back in Elmvale, and endangering all of us. I know all that. But the money is just too much temptation. I do not feel I can turn it down. Nor do I feel I can kill Jett myself. I need help to kill him and take his sheep. Your help, Renata."

You are not sure how you should respond to Jethro's offer, so you ask again. "Why me?"

Jethro clears his throat and frowns.

- "Well, before she left, my daughter told me she thinks you are the rightful future Queen of Daria, our lost Princess. I'm sure that's just a childish fantasy, but you have gained my trust enough to make me come to you with this plan.

"If you say yes, you will gain a greater amount of money helping me than Master Jett would ever pay you- a straight 250 GP from your efforts, never mind any possible bonus. You could use that money to help yourself in the future in many ways. Jett would have to die, but he is who he is, so who cares about him? The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Sister Geri has told you such a saying, but you are unsure if she meant the same thing by it Jethro does. "And if I say no?"

- "Then I will forget everything I have been planning and let life work out as it would without taking my plan to completion, for you and me both. It is your decision, Renata. What do you want me to do? Should I rob my employer, Master Jett, with your help?"

1. Tell Jethro "No" and let the main plot Continue Forward.

2. Tell Jethro "Yes" and then further Consider double-crossing Master Jett.

Zachary Quinto portrays Jethro. I kept his true role in this LP shaded until now for obvious reasons. We might meet Trevor in LH3, but this decision does not affect his game fate at all. I just felt it would be fun to throw a nod to him in.

It is up to you what Renata should tell Jethro. Consider the following spoilers if you so desire-

Game terms, per my recollection, robbing Jett means 250 GP straight up reward for this quest, not the variance Jett gives (I've never gotten more than 180, with Sheep at the level we have them, though my memory is not clear). There is also an event later in LH1 where you can pick up 250 extra GP, but only if you robbed Jett beforehand.

We also will get the chance for increased Relations with Theo if we rob Jett, as we'll have to get Theo's help to kill Jett also (per the plot, Jethro will make that clear next update before the final decision)- Theo doesn't like Jett but the game does not make it clear whether he hates him enough to be willing to kill him on his own. The main character, Renata in this case, can get Theo to help them accomplish such a task. It's worth an extra 5 Relation points for Theo, plus an opportunity to get more later by helping ease his guilt over the deed. Because he has such guilt, it is unclear whether Theo is an Evil or Neutral character. I wrote him as Neutral, by now it should be clear how and why.

There are no consequences for killing Jett in LH1 other than 30 Evil Points. You have the opportunity afterwards to atone by donating money at a Temple at the choice right after you do it, or later on through a series of better Good deeds. You get no Good points for not doing it. If you rob Jett, later on in LH2, you can meet his wife and assuage her pain with lies or gloating (the latter, as you might imagine, awards increased Evil and Citizen Fear, I forget what the other possible responses do). She can also be ignored. If you spare Jett, he comes back in LH2 to offer you a good boost to your Army Food level, which is important to that game. It requires you have a good amount of Citizen Reputation when you meet him, though. You also have to pay his neighbor, who owns the sheep herd that is the Army Food boost, 200 GP. Or you can just take the Food without paying, which I've occasionally done with a character who doesn't mind a small hit to Reputation and a boost to Fear. You can also ignore Jett, if you prefer.

Original content- If we kill Jett, Jethro will be taking the fall for it. We will escape, he will end up in Duke Eddan's dungeon. If Jett is spared, Jethro will be the owner of the sheep which represent the Army Food mentioned above. Jett will never know what Jethro once planned to do and he will help Jethro become that future sheep owner. Leigh Anne will never know the role we played in her father's fate or what could have been if things had gone otherwise (we'll never see her again onscreen). Theo already knows about Jethro's plans (Jethro talks in his sleep and Theo has been listening), but he is waiting for Renata to decide what to do about them. His evolving character will be happy with either course as per the canon game. You can guess how it will affect everyone else.

Personal preference- I can write the story either way. We can make Renata Good or Evil, per your preference. If we want to keep her Neutral, she should probably say no to Jethro. But that will affect our game stats as above. I will proceed with the majority of votes. There will be similar, if less lasting effect, great temptation choices as Lost Heir continues. This is just the first, and thus the most major. As you might guess, I will want to show off the opposite path from here if we do a second run on SA. Not mandating Morality, just making things a little more poignant. My second run on SA will probably be bare bones, as this LP will be long enough for me to want to do another of a different game instead of or alongside a second run and I won't have the energy for original content. I will have the better part of it out of my system anyway.

I will allow all readers inclined to vote on this decision to influence it. How far should Renata go towards furthering Jethro's proposal and what should she do? I'll look for a good majority for the second checkpoint around midnight tonight CST.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 8, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Oh no! Jett stabbed himself in the back multiple times! If only we could have stopped him! :devil:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Double cross, now this is the kind of pragmatic evil we should get behind. :black101: :10bux:

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I vote for saying no. Jett may be a jerk, but that doesn't mean we have to be one in return. And it's only our first adventure; we should try to hold off on the really bad things until later.

We can save the murder of Jett for a playthrough when we summon demons. That way, we can try and see if we can murder with demons too.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, stagnant voting, update ready. Tally is currently 2-1 in favor of the doublecross.

I am proceeding with this decision in favor of the regulars for plot development and as per vote. I will continue to keep to my plan of using each checkpoint per the canon text. Renata has important character development to go through if she is to rob Jett vs. spare him. We would get most if not all of what happens below if she agreed right off to spare him, possibly in a different way. I cannot be certain if current voters on this decision are truly in favor of robbing Jett or merely want to see developments and wait until the last minute to pull out as I hinted last post I am cool with doing. You will learn why I am so when we reach checkpoint #3 to rob Jett, if you aren't a game veteran who's already guessed.

A few things before we proceed.

If Renata continues on an Evil path after this decision, I am inclined to write her as a "Seeking the Greater Good" for selfish reasons pragmatic Villain Protagonist rather than a cartoonish cackler delighting in villainy. She believes that an Evil path would best benefit Daria and herself, later she may feel different, and we will take each decision as it comes, see what happens. My own writing preferences and the LH canon writings would support this. So, I think, would the current regular posters on this thread. If I am wrong about the last preference, I can change Renata's character slightly. Let me know. I think I can do Renata as such a Villain Protagonist- the Morality meter of LH is as much Karma as it is Action and many great legendary villains are pragmatic types. Darth Vader is perhaps my favorite, Shakespeare's Hamlet is another great example the way I see him. Roseanne Barr's character in She Devil is the female example that comes most easily to mind.

Second, we must consider the possibility of Renata's conscience and guilt. I have decided as my thinking about how to write this LP has expanded that the Morality meter of Renata's character will primarily represent her level of conscience and guilt. It may have been intended otherwise by Lucid when he wrote Lost Heir, but I believe it can be such for this LP. The way decisions and rewards can be given in LH, that writing tactic can work. The Evil rewards come at a certain level of Evil, ditto for the Good. For example, you need 100 Good to forgive Zusak at the end of LH3 for him to honestly believe your intent to do so and surrender without trying to kill you. Whereas you need 100 Evil to be able to live with taking control of the LH3 Demon Army away from Zusak and what it might do to Daria if you keep it around to savage the land (Villain Ending). There are also various other lesser Good vs. Evil rewards.

Who will determine Renata's changing level of guilt and conscience? The same people who determine every other decision that impacts her life, of course. Me, this LP's writer, and you, its readers. Vote to represent your influence on Renata and we will see how Good or Evil she becomes over time. I will go with the majority in the way I think best. That works for both the current Evil act we are contemplating, and all future Good vs. Evil ones. Renata can be pragmatic, she can feel guilty and change her path from Villainess to Heroine, but how she does and her motivations will be up to us.

Finally, be aware that I have changed my plans for Leigh Anne. We are going to see her at least one more time onscreen whether or not we rob Jett or spare him. Leigh Anne's face, and her memory, will also serve as Renata's conscience for LH 1 at least. If Renata approaches 100 Good or Evil, Leigh Anne's face may not appear for Renata as her character changes in response to her continuing actions. Maybe she will make peace with her guilt, or gain the full Evil mentality necessary to put it aside. I will let readers know when either happens.

The deaths of Jett and Jethro will happen if we rob Jett, and we will see Leigh Anne's reaction to both. Leigh Anne won't ever know of Renata's part in the whole affair, but Renata can worry about what she might think and feel guilty if she so chooses, letting that motivate her future conduct as one of Daria's great heroes. Renata was once an innocent child like Leigh Anne, her experiences concerning Leigh Anne can and will also affect the development of whatever children Renata herself might have or adopt one day.

I'm not casting an actress for Leigh Anne. If someone wants to, I'll consider the suggestion. Guilt is an important plot element in stories such as these. Struggle too.

SimplyUnknown1- Welcome, new voter! Thanks for expressing your thoughts. We can totally murder people if we Summon Demons. Not Jett, no powerful enough Demons to kill any adversary are allowed to be Summoned and submit to our Willpower this early in Lost Heir. But we can murder through Demons later, and through every other possible method the game and I will allow if we decide to do it now. Readers' choice.

Ok, enough director's commentary. Back to Renata's story.

Renata's Special Power posted:

You are a bit intrigued by Jethro's proposal. You decide to press him further regarding it. Your conscience has no current issue with this, and before you answer him, you take a brief pause outside time to relate on why.

It is the Moral Tradition in Daria that people should be Good, but Evil may also be permissible if things work out for the best. Your parents did not agree with this Tradition, they preferred to be Good people, but you might feel different. Good people can be weak, unwilling to do what is required to overcome great Evil like that of the people who killed your parents and who have put Daria in its current state. As a rightful and hopeful future Queen of Daria, you are willing to do whatever it takes to thwart such Evil and save your realm- as much as is necessary that you can stomach anyway. Your character is still developing and always will be, so it is hard to be sure how your personality will change over time.

It is also the Moral Tradition in Daria that people can always change from the path of Good or Evil. Heaven is the reward for the Good path, Hell the inevitable consequence of the Evil one- no matter what lies the Evil Gods tell that say otherwise and whether or not such lies are believed. Anyone may progress on either path. Intention, motivation, seeking further information about what a decision to act a certain way might mean before it is made, thoughts, and past conduct matter little. Only clear Good or Evil actions cement one on the path to Heaven or Hell. The Gods of Daria and the greatest heroes or villains are always inclined to give people they influence the opportunity to step away from their current paths, if they seem willing to take such a step. This is in fact a key trait of Daria's greatest heroes and villains, central to what they are.

Daria's greatest hereos and villains are known as Decision Makers. They have the special ability to influence others onto the path of Good or Evil along with themselves. There are various degrees of Decision Making power, and many aspire to it, only to find they lack it when the time comes. Thus they seek out someone who is a Decision Maker of greater ability, and let that person help them decide their future conduct. Everyone in Daria who cannot make decisions on their own are compelled to seek out aid from Decision Makers, even if they do not recognize Decision Makers in their midst.

The Kings, Queens, Court Wizards, and other significant historical personages of Daria have all been Decision Makers on some level. Your parents were certainly such, as is your Mentor Sister Geri and your former possible Mentors Harmond, Sir Grady, Amos, and Lady Emaline. It is also quite possible that the leaders of the conspiracy that killed your parents- Zusak, Selina, Thuja, and the three Dukes- are also Decision Makers. You may have met a few more during your life thus far.

And you realize as Jethro looks at you now that you are in fact a very powerful Decision Maker yourself. He knows this, and now you know it as well. Up until this moment, you did not clearly percieve your power. But this is the first significant moment of your life where you realize what you are.

You can not deny or escape your power. That is impossible and inexcusable per all the Gods and Goddesses of your world. Others may respond to your power however they choose, and their own power as possible Decision Makers is also significant and thus influential, but ultimately you will keep exercising your power no matter what as long as you are alive.

It is the continual interactions and conflicts between Decision Makers that determine the course of events for all Daria and for its attached realms such as the lands of Theo's Norgan Barbarians and the demihuman lands of the Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, and other races. It is possible that the inhabitants of the Demon Plane have and use such power also. Only those Darians who decide to increase their Willpower can use their Decision Making abilities to influence and command Summoned Demons, which is what you imagine the Consortium of Planewalkers seeks to accomplish. But there are other ways to practice Decision Making. Since you have rejected the value of Willpower by deciding earlier not to Summon Demons yourself, you will have to practice these ways.

If you want to know the inspiration for the concept of Decision Makers, click here. I thought up this concept while reviewing this LP as I write it and thinking about what I should do next. It is possible this concept was in the back of my mind all along, but now it is fully formed and revealed. I hope readers will like it.

Renata is of course and will remain the most powerful Decision Maker active in Daria as this LP of Lost Heir progresses. All other characters she meets may also have the power on various levels. The main bad guys and other game bosses all have it. So do our companions, Mentors, and people like Jethro who appear at certain points. Our big moments of conflict will be where Renata will have to respond to and deal with another Decision Maker. The results may not be pretty. Readers will decide whom they benefit most. :D

Tell Me More, Jethro posted:

You now recognize your power, and realize you will have to actively exercise it. Jethro knows of your power, he has sought you out. He has such power too, even though he may not know or understand it. You know this because Decision Makers can sense their own.

Jethro's ideas are intriguing to you and him as well, but he cannot act on them alone. This is because his Decision Making is high whereas yours is higher but untested. He has sensed this and sought you out, never mind his other plausible alternate explanations for doing so. You recognize this and think about what he is offering you and why. Then you make your decision.

Because you are interested in Jethro's offer, you ask him for more information. You must take further steps in developing your power. You are not yet fully able to exercise it. You are not able to fully influence Jethro yet, one way or another, but you may become so over time.

"Jethro, your plan is... well-thought out. I understand your need for help, though. Please tell me more."

- "I'm glad you are interested, Renata. I've spent a lot of time musing about robbing Master Jett and what it will take. There are many issues, obvious and otherwise. First, I will have to pay you for this out of Jett's payroll chest. I can't offer you any more than what I said earlier, even if I sell the sheep later and get more. Do you accept that?"

You are tempted to press for more money, but find you can't. "I accept."

- "Good. Second problem. Master Jett is a Decision Maker and he will be our adversary if we do this. I will need a greater Decision Maker to counter him. Do you know about Decision Makers, what they can do?"

"Yes. As I think you may already know, I am a very powerful but untested Decision Maker."

- "Excellent! My contact Trevor the bandit is also a Decision Maker, but he doesn't want to get personally involved in this. I don't know why. He'll send his gang to help us take the sheep and subdue any resistance, then transport the sheep to the Thieves Guild Black Market once we secure them. But that's all he will do."

"Okay."

- "I'm pretty sure there are no other Decision Makers who could get involved in this. There's only one possible candidate in the caravan besides Master Jett, you, and me who has enough power. I'm talking about that Norgan Barbarian Theo. But he's not from Daria. His people are foriegn and inferior to us Darians in many ways."

Oh great, you think. Jethro's a racist! And he doesn't recognize Theo's obvious power, which I've witnessed him using on Master Jett, me, and the other young guards. This is not good.

"Jethro, I think you're wrong about Theo. Decision Makers can and do exist outside Daria. I know this for certain."

- "If you say so. Well, then, we'll have to either remove that barbarian Theo or get him to join us. You decide which."

"Well, I don't think we could do this without him being part of it. And he's probably too formidable for us to remove."

- "We are thinking the same thought. Well, I didn't even realize he had such power, so you'd have to be the one to ask him to join us. Is that ok with you?"

"I guess." You have doubts, but recognize in this moment that there will be no other way to proceed.

- "Thank you. Everyone else in the caravan should either cooperate with us or not stand in our way. We can accomplish that. I have already approached a few of the other shepherds and they're with me if you are. You can handle the guards. I'll contact Trevor's gang, we can make our move tomorrow night. We'll still be enough distance from Ludd that its Guards won't be an issue. Everyone in the caravan other than Jett can get money from this, whether they agree to become involved or not. I am fine with that. Are you?"

"I... yes, I think so."

- "Good. One more thing. I find it very possible that you will have to be the one who kills Master Jett. My conscience will not let me do the deed myself, no matter how much I hate his guts. Could you do that deed? Could you kill Master Jett?"

Jethro smiles at you.

Now you are concerned. Killing Trolls, Kobolds, and other enemies in the heat of battle is one thing, but this would be different. It would be a clear step towards Evil, and possibly a greater step than Jethro is willing to take, never mind that he is as much to blame for the developing conspiracy against Jett as you are. You do not know if you are ready for such Evil.

The influence of other Decision Makers you have met in your life influences you as you think about it. Theo's exact motivations are uncertain. You don't know if he would be willing to be part of Jethro's conspiracy or not. The next step is finding out. You can feel the ghosts of your parents, Harmond, Sir Grady, Lady Emaline, and Amos all disapproving of Jethro's plans. Karla would probably also disapprove, if she is a Decision Maker. Sister Geri might or might not, she respects the power of Evil even if she is a Good person at heart and would likely forgive you if she ever knew of such Evil as what you might do if you assist Jethro. And, like Karla, Sister Geri is not with the caravan. If you kill Jett, Sister Geri doesn't have to ever know.

Your parents would surely disapprove of Jethro's plans. They would not benefit their concept of what is best for Daria's future. But they are dead. You are the one who would have to make this decision for Daria, not them. My parents are dead, you repeat to yourself. My parents are dead. And no other Decision Maker who lives would clearly disapprove. Except maybe...

Gale?

You can't be certain what Gale would think about all this, you haven't seen her in six years. For all you know, she might be dead.

Petra?

Well, you haven't seen Petra in even longer than you've seen Gale. She would certainly disapprove of this. She and her parents were always devout followers of the Good Gods. But she's not a significant part of your life since she moved away from the castle before your parents died. Never mind her now.

All the other Decision Makers of whom you know who are alive and would clearly disapprove of the conspiracy and have power enough to stop you and Jethro are dead. Except one.

The power of a Decision Maker is hereditary. Your parents passed it on to you, and Jethro has surely done the same with his own child Leigh Anne. You know that she is an innocent child and more than likely she would not appreciate this course of action. But she is not with the caravan. She is gone. Her power is also untested and thus surely inferior to both her father's power and yours. Nevertheless you can feel it motivating you.

"Jethro, are you sure about this?"

- "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Is it really the best course of action? What if Master Jett could be influenced to be a better person?"

- "I've been trying that long enough. It is hopeless. Master Jett is greedy, crazy, and stupid. You won't believe this, but earlier on this trip he actually told me he wants me to take over his sheep business after he retires. Why would I want to do that? Why would I want to take over his business? How could I possibly learn anything positive from someone like Jett?"

You try another tactic.

"What you want to do could hurt a lot of people, even if it seems otherwise."

- "I don't think so. Everyone will benefit from the money we give them and the removal of Master Jett. He'll be dead and he's a terrible person, who cares what he thinks? His wife's back in Elmvale, I don't care about her either. Everyone else who might be affected by this will surely benefit from our actions. They will see."

You feel memories of your parents suddenly influencing you. It is possible they are watching from Heaven and attempting to exercise their Decision Making power. You shut them up. My parents are dead!

But you cannot escape some of their influence's effects.

My queendom Daria might not best benefit from this conspiracy if I take part in it, you muse to yourself. Nor might I. Am I sure I want to do this?

"Jethro, what if you're wrong? What if other people have problems with us killing Jett and taking the sheep?"

- "They'll get paid, or they'll be too scared and incompetent to stop us. Either works. This will work!"

You and Jethro argue further for some time about the conspiracy, its possible results, and what it will take to accomplish. Over time, you find yourself agreeing with him more and more. Master Jett clearly deserves what you and Jethro plan to do to him. You would benefit a lot from doing this. Never mind what it might do to you or your queendom, the future is always uncertain. You live in the here and now.

With the other guards being so youthful and inexperienced, you realize that you're leading a fortune's worth of sheep towards the city of Ludd with very little actual protection. Master Jett could be killed and the shepherds could be bought off or scared into submission. The only real hindrance in stealing the entire band of sheep would be Theo. Well, Theo, and you if you decide to stop Jethro, but you are pretty sure you do not want to do that even though you can.

Then you pause. You recall that you are unsure about Theo's exact character and whether or not he would be part of this conspiracy. You also realize that you are becoming increasingly attached to him on a level you are unable to understand. Who knows where your current course of action might lead? And is cooperating to committ murder really the best plan for such a budding loving relationship as you are developing with Theo? Do you really want to do this? Would Theo really want this to happen?

You voice your doubts to Jethro. He laughs.

- "You want to stop me because the Barbarian might disapprove? Am I understanding you correctly?"

"I... I don't know. I just feel that Theo might feel guilty about this if we do it. Me too. Won't you feel guilty?"

- "Probably, but if I do it and get the money, I will be fine. I've already decided that long ago."

You see madness in his eyes and feel compelled to try a desperate tactic.

"But what about your child? Do you think Leigh Anne would be pleased with what you would do?"

Your power is untested, like Leigh Anne's. Neither is able to compel Jethro using this attempt at united Decision Making.

Jethro laughs again.

- "Who cares about my daughter? She'll never know about this. Why do you think I influenced Jett to send her away?"

I should have expected that. You grimace and frown, seething with doubt.

- "Are you unsure, Renata? Why don't you go ask that Barbarian if he'll join us? He's a big stupid brute, he'll surely say yes. We need him anyway. Maybe if he really is a Decision Maker, as you believe, he can convince you to help me or stop me. Or are you willing to say yes or no on your own right now?"

You realize you will have to decide for yourself and for Jethro if you should proceed. And the next step in proceeding, if you still want to, is to challenge Theo regarding this subject clearly and see which side he will take. If you are unwilling to stop Jethro alone, maybe Theo will help you. That might even be necessary. His involvement will definitely be necessary to move forward with the conspiracy.

You decide to...

1. Carefully broach the subject of the conspiracy to Theo.

2. Forget about your Evil thoughts, stop Jethro yourself, and continue on to Ludd.

Checkpoint 2/3 complete. Next checkpoint before we rob or spare Jett will progress next update. Keeping current vote tally 2-1 in favor of robbing Jett unless votes are changed by new post from voters. New voters may also contribute. I honor all SA visitors who are willing to read this LP by inviting them to vote if they are willing. We will move forward as much or as little as you like, on the course the majority prefers.

Tentative deadline for next update, 1700 CST 11/8/2017.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 8, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Broach with Theo.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hey theo how did the reallynevil wizard story go again?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, the current 2-1 tally stands. Thanks for votes and other bumps. I have further decided what the original story effects of robbing or sparing Jett will be for Renata and they are hinted at in the prophetic dreams described below. These dreams' events will not happen in full detail until after the final decision to rob or spare Jett is made, but I thought it fun and proper to tease them a bit.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, no canon choices or their results in Lost Heir will be altered by the original content. Stat numbers chosen by voters' decisions will be final from this point forward and from each point continually as each decision is made.

Yes, I'm an amateur attorney along with an experienced fanfic writer. Why do you ask?

Never mind. Let's get back to the LP.

Settling Various Issues posted:

You think carefully about everything Jethro has proposed and what you want to do. You realize there are some things he has shaded or about which he has not told you.

"Jethro, what if we get caught by the authorities doing this? Have you thought about that?"

- "I have. If that happens and it is possible, I have decided I shall take full responsibility under the law. I will not identify or help the law punish any party that may have helped me accomplish this, yourself included. Is that acceptable?"

"You would hang for this. What about your daughter?"

- "My wife will take care of Leigh Anne. She can do so alone due to her lucrative personal business as a Sage. Her name is Ruby. She doesn't know about this, but I have a letter for her detailing every matter of my current plans and my intentions. Could you give that letter to her for me, if I can't do it myself?"

He hands you a copy of the letter and you nod. "Is Ruby back in Elmvale?"

- "That is our residence, but Ruby is currently in Ludd researching various matters. She left Elmvale right before our caravan and has been able to travel faster because she is alone and owns a fully trained Riding Horse. Leigh Anne is supposed to meet up with her when those wagons Jett sent ahead of us reach Ludd. If you have trouble finding my wife, ask at the local library or Adventurers' Guild. She's registered with both."

"Thank you. One more question. I sense a motivation for you other than money about all this. Not teaching Master Jett a lesson, that clearly no longer matters to you. Not helping others, either. You say you're doing that, but..."

Jethro suddenly falls to his knees and takes your hand.

- "I intend to do this for Daria. Perhaps one or more Gods or Goddesses interested in Evil or tragedy is motivating me to believe it is in Daria's best interest. I do not know. I only know that before I was a shepherd, I was a young soldier in the Darian Army under General, then-Commander Vale. I served him well. I was even wounded, a Priest of Auriel healed me later. I won multiple medals."

You nod at his obvious patriotism. "Are you certain this is the right thing to do for Daria?"

Jethro shrugs.

- "Right now, yes. I don't know if you really are Daria's rightful future Queen, but if you are, as my daughter believes, well, it is best you make this decision. I will adhere to whatever you decide, on that you have my word before any relevant Gods. Do as you will, your Highness... Majesty. Do as you will."

You recall a speech your mother Queen Jade made that you heard some years before she died. In that speech, she asked all citizens of Daria to ask themselves not what Daria could do for them, but what they could do for Daria. It is evident that Jethro also heard that speech. You are confident your mother did not mean the point of her speech in the way Jethro has taken things, but perhaps Daria's current situation makes his interpretation a necessity. You are still not certain.

Only one thing is clear. You have exhausted yourself trying to stop Jethro on your own, and to decide for the moment whether his course of action is right or wrong. "I need to sleep on this. Can you give me until we stop for lunch tomorrow to further consider things? If I decide to move forward, both Theo and I will approach you at lunch and make our intentions clear."

- "Ok, but we can't slow things down. Seizing the sheep has to happen tomorrow evening. Otherwise, we will lose our opportunity. I have arranged for Trevor's bandits to ambush the caravan then. I can warn them off with a prearranged signal, but..."

"I understand. Please go and let me sleep."

He nods and starts to stand up. You stop him.

"Wait."

- "Yes?"

A startling course of action has occurred to you. You have been motivated by the depth of Jethro's passion and resolve. "You should know. Your daughter is right. I am Renata, child of Jade and Brand, lost Princess of Daria, rightful Heir to the throne."

- "..."

Tears in your eyes, you draw your Dagger and place the blade on Jethro's shoulder. "I recognize you as a valiant Knight of Daria even though your chivalry is questionable and I cannot currently make that recognition fact. However this turns out, I will ensure this recognition becomes fact for you in the future, should I gain the power to accomplish that. You and your family will be given all related rights and privlieges. This I promise you before the Gods. It will not matter if you are alive or dead. I only ask in return that you follow your part of these plans as I decide, and make no further alterations. Do you echo my oath?"

Jethro's eyes gleam as he stares at you.

- "Yes, my Queen."

"And will you keep my secret identity to yourself, telling no one, until such time as the current situation changes to one where I can take back my rightful throne?"

- "Yes, your Majesty. I so swear."

"Then rise, Sir Jethro!" You lift your Dagger and smile at him. "Now leave me to sleep."

He nods, stands up, and departs your tent.

The rest of the night, you muse about the tragedy Jethro intends to carry out. You read over the letter he gave you and draft your own addendum. You will update this draft later after Jethro's plan is put into effect, if that happens. You are still uncertain if that is for the best. But you cannot consider the matter any further on your own.

While you sleep that night, prophetic dreams flow into your mind. The first is of a vast army of Demons surging out of various portals, rampaging over Daria. Alexander Zusak is watching over them from the battlements of an Unidentified Flying Castle that has perhaps not yet been built.

You are looking out upon the same army of Demons from the window of a tower elsewhere in the same Flying Castle where you are imprisoned. Your body is no longer completely human.

You shiver as you wonder if this dream will ever come to pass. Zusak has a very strange look on his face as he stares at the Demon Army while they ravage Daria and a vast valiant army of your allies does all they can to stop them. How you feel about the situation is not clear, nor are Zusak's exact thoughts.

The dreams drift to address more immediate matters. You see Jethro standing on a gallows beside Duke Eddan and a woman dressed in black plate mail armor. The woman is Phasma, Captain of the Ludd City Guard and a powerful Dark Knight in service to the goddess Shadi and Duke Eddan. You sense that you will never have to directly battle Captain Phasma yourself, but perhaps an ally of yours will one day. You will certainly have to face Duke Eddan in battle one day, and quite possibly also his lieutenant, Phasma's superior, the Commander of Eddan's Army, Lucius Viers. But all that is far in the future from the time Jethro stands on the gallows beside Eddan and Captain Phasma now.

You are in the crowd before the gallows. So is Theo, though you are not standing together and you cannot see him. So are Ruby and Leigh Anne, neither of whom can completely understand what Jethro has done or why.

You stare at Jethro as Captain Phasma places a noose around his neck. Duke Eddan reads aloud a list of Jethro's crimes. He asks Jethro if he has anything to say. Jethro declines. Eddan then asks the crowd if anyone wishes to beg for his mercy. Leigh Anne cries her eyes out, screaming at both Eddan and her father for mercy and for answers. Ruby, who has by now read both your and her husband's letters, pulls Leigh Anne back and shakes her head. No one else requests mercy. Eddan again asks Jethro if he has any final words.

Jethro looks right at you, seeing you in the crowd. He smiles and nods. You nod back. He then turns to his family, keeping his eyes on them when Phasma pulls the gallows lever and kills him. Your heart clenches as you turn away. Both you and Jethro have done what must be done.

Then another possible future is displayed for you. In this future, Jethro has become a sheep farmer as prosperous as is possible in terrible economic times. Master Jett has survived to the same day and has been advising Jethro all the time between the present and this possible future. Jethro has listened to his advice and become a better person and businessman in the process. The same is true of Jett, even though he is no longer an active sheep farmer himself. Both Jethro and Jett's families seem very happy with this possible future.

You are a Queen in this possible future, leading a large army towards Tornassa to retake it from Duchess Selina and her forces. Your army includes Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, and other beings not commonly seen in Daria for many decades. Theo is there also. So are other companions of whose identities you are not sure. You know that you must win the war, whatever it takes.

Your army stops in Elmvale. Master Jett steps out of his house when you pass by and extends his hand to you. He then explains what has happened to him and to Jethro since your current trip's conclusion. You cannot completely comprehend all he says, but you realize that in this future, the plan to rob Jett which Jethro has laid out for you never reached completion. You stopped it before it began. In the best possible circumstances, Jett gives you directions to Jethro's farm, where you knight Jethro again before your army and then take a large flock of his sheep as part of your Army Food stores. Jethro accepts money you give him for the sheep, or perhaps you give him a promissory note instead, or perhaps you do not pay him at all. He is fine with whatever you decide even if Jett and other citizens of Daria are not.

In the future where Jethro dies, where his plan is carried out, you arrive at the same farm with a similar army. Master Jett's wife stands before you, grieving for her husband. It is not clear how you respond.

You wonder which future you would prefer. When you wake, you find yourself shaking in your skin. Is this the sort of thing a Darian Queen or King has to deal with every day? No wonder your parents so quickly grew old!

You stand up and prepare for your day, then head out to breakfast. You are still thinking about the matter of Jethro's scheme. You decide to seek counsel from two relevant people, shading the truth from both with utmost care.

The first is Master Jett.

You stop him before the caravan can set out and say, "I must talk to you privately."

- "Is there a problem, Princess?"

"My name is Renata."

- "Sorry, Renata. I've grown a bit fond of you. You're one of the best employees I've ever had."

He follows you back to your tent and you address him. "Jethro has told me you want to retire after this journey and have him take over your sheep business."

- "Yes. He's served me a long time and is very competent, far more than he lets on. Why?"

"Do you intend for him to continue the business as you practice it? Making all your various mistakes? If you need an example, think about what happened with us and Jethro's daughter."

Jett pauses, then replies.

- "No. Jethro can make his own decisions. I know I've made mistakes, but I've come too far to learn from them on my own to other people's satisfaction. I don't know what every mistake I've made is either. I only hope if they would affect Jethro or anyone else I care about, I have shown those people what not to do. There is something positive in that, right?"

"There is. That was all I needed to know. Thank you."

- "What is this about, Renata? Is there something you're not telling me?"

You do not answer and leave the tent. Jett does not press you further.

Later that morning, you walk at the front of the sheep herd beside Theo. "We need to talk."

He nods as you walk and responds to you.

- "Go ahead."

"Do you know what a Decision Maker is? What they can do? Daria's beliefs about them?"

- "My people have the same beliefs."

"And do you think I am a Decision Maker? Is that why you've been giving me tests on this journey?"

- "Yup."

"You thought I might take offense. That's why you didn't spell it out for me directly. You thought your strategy best to awaken and exercise my power."

- "Yup."

You frown at Theo, but decide to let his blunt responses go unaddressed for the moment. He is smiling, and that is bothering you for some reason. But you have been thinking about what to tell Theo and how best to put it across. You cannot tell him you are the lost Princess of Daria, but there are other ways you can find out his intentions.

"Please listen to me. Someone came to my tent last night. He had a very interesting proposal."

- "Go on."

"He insisted I bring you into things. I agreed that was best. You have been an Adventurer for a long time, and you have discussed with me the story of the Wizard and the Nobleman. I think that from that discussion you may already somehow have an idea about this man's proposal and wish to take part in it. Is that true?"

- "Yup."

You grimace. "I'm not completely sure about things, but you want me in the scheme too."

- "Yup."

You shake your head, then keep speaking.
"Master Jett's going to make a fortune with all these sheep."

Theo responds as you continue to walk.

- "Yup."

"It sure would be nice to sell the sheep ourselves and keep a larger amount than Master Jett would give us. Imagine how big that payout would be?"

- "Yup."

He is still walking. You realize that your concept of subtlety may be beyond the large man's grasp.

You breathe in deeply and take a gamble.

"If something happened to Master Jett and the other guards, you, me, the man who came to my tent last night, and whoever else we deem worthy would get to keep all the profits from that payout ourselves."

Theo is nodding.

- "Yup."

"You could really accept that? You understand what I'm saying? That other people would have to die to accomplish this, including our employer?"

- "If he must."

Theo clears his throat and looks at you.

- "Renata, the time has come for you to more fully know something. To be honest, I don't like Master Jett much. You know why. A part of me has always wanted to harm such a person, no matter what it might do to me. I have been taken advantage of and screwed over by more people during my life than I care to accept. I have come to the point where it no longer matters what I do in response. Part of me wants to keep going and struggle with how I respond to such people. Another part of me wants to lash out. But I cannot decide to which part I should pay attention."

You open your mouth to answer, but Theo holds up his hand.

- "There is another legend among my people, told by our shamans. There are two wolves inside every person. They are always fighting. One wolf is Good, light, and hope. The other is Evil, darkness, and despair. Whichever wolf wins the fight is the one its owner feeds."

"I think I've heard that story."

- "I hope so. Because before I left my people, the shaman told me I would one day meet someone who would tell me which wolf I must feed. That person would be a Decision Maker key to whether I could ever return to my people. She would tell me which wolf inside me to feed, and from that point forward be either my corruption or my salvation, and her own, and both our people's as well. I don't know for sure if you are the person the shaman described to me, but your eye and hair color match, as do your Skills as a Monk and Magic User."

You feel your heart clench. "Why did you leave your people, Theo? What happened?"

- "I will not tell you at this time. Before I do, Renata, please tell me. Which wolf should I feed?"

Theo's fingers clench around his hammer and he looks at you. You-

1. Say bluntly, "Let's kill Master Jett and take the sheep."

2. Say, "You're about the stupidest most frustrating person I've ever met! Forget everything I just told you! Forget about it!"

3. Say, "Never mind anything I just said."

Ok, people, we are at the third checkpoint and thus the moment of truth. Your vote on this decision will determine whether Renata kills and robs or spares Master Jett in this run of the Lost Heir Trilogy. I am keeping the current tally 2-1 and moving forward at the next update. If people want to change or reaffirm their votes before then, that is fine.

Take note- the second option above will cost us 5 Theo Relation points, but we can easily recover from that if we still want Renata to Romance Theo. I like the line that option has because in a lot of classic fantasy stories, the heroine says something similar to her love interest. :laugh:

Only the first option will let us move forward with doublecrossing Jett. Otherwise we'll forget about it and Renata will tell Jethro about her Good dream future for him and that she would prefer it to the Evil one. He will agree. So will Theo. Master Jett and Leigh Anne will never know the difference. Ruby (Claudia Christian, we'll meet her in Ludd and possibly again in Lost Heir 3) might, but that's up to Jethro, not us. Vote accordingly for the future you want. I can go with either. This is a fun game, but just a game.

Tally will be counted and this LP will move forward sometime tomorrow, can't say when exactly but it will. Thank you all for helping me work this story out of my head.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 20, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

We are committed, no takebacks. :toughguy:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Theo, it's time to kill.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
"I'm going to teach my rear end of a boss a lesson"

"Oh, by the way, I've changed my mind in a few seconds and I think we should kill him instead, whoops"

Let's not associate with this chucklefuck and go Good instead..

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
We should not kill Jett and instead just continue our journey as mostly decent people. We should be good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The random number generator of morality has spoken!
Uh, look let's just completely forget about all this conspiracy nonsense

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Tally- 2 for Kill, 1 for forget, 2 for never mind (I assume that’s what you mean by Good). I’ll give it a while longer for tiebreaking.

If anyone’s wondering I think the only real prizes for killing Jett are extra money now and possibly more extra money and Citizen Fear later. Vs extra Army Food later for letting him live. 30 Evil vs no Good. Plenty of Theo Relationship still available especially if Romancing if Jett is spared. No Skill Checks involved if we do kill him, it just says we do. I still have plans either way.

The dream sequence went Inevitable Future, Evil Future, Good Future, Evil Future again. Then back to present. The actual end of Lost Heir was not shown.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Evil vs Good: There's the magic feather, dunno just how evil exactly we need to be for it though!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, time to move ahead. I'll just give us the least harmful option (3) since it has the same results as being Good (which is ahead by one vote) and we don't upset Theo. Can't let this get too Lina and Gourry. :D

On a second bare bones run here, I'm sure Jett will die.

Avalerion- I'm guiding us to the Magic Feather. It's my favorite Artifact, along with the other one available in the same area. I'm hoping we can get both. The answer was 55 Evil when I tried to pick it up with Princess Leah the Almost-Paladin. The God of Mischief was most pleased to give her zilch. :laugh:

Resolution posted:

You stare at Theo. "You really confuse and worry me, you know that?"

- "..."

"Never mind what I just said. We're not going to rob Jett. It's probably better in the long run to let him live. Ok?"

Theo raises an eyebrow, then releases his hammer and shrugs.

- "Maybe I'm just itching for a brawl."

"Trolls and Kobolds aren't enough for you?"

- "No. I need a drink."

You feel you could use one too, after all you've been through. It has been a long time on the trail. "I'll handle things with Jethro. You did know it was him, right?"

- "Yup. He talks in his sleep. One of his shepherd buddies told me everything too. I'll tell the others to stay on guard just in case."

"Thank you. And Theo?"

Theo is about to turn away, but looks back.

"Someday I want the whole story about why you left your people. Okay?"

- "Stay with me and you will learn it. I promise."

"Then I look forward to our quest."

When the caravan stops for lunch, you take Jethro aside privately and address him. "Do you remember what we talked about last night? Everything?"

- "Yes. Did the barbarian...?"

"His name is Theo. And yes, he'd be with us, but we're not moving forward. The Gods sent me visions last night of how things will turn out if we rob Jett and if we don't. I prefer the 'don't' future, never mind the short-term gain."

You fill Jethro in further, and he nods.

- "You really think that's going to happen?"

"I don't know. But I would rather you earn your Knight status the right way than the wrong way. I appreciate your dedication to Daria, but to most Knightly orders, that is not enough."

- "Alright. By the way, I had a vision also. The God of Mischief, whom I follow, told me I had done well in awakening your powers. He is watching over you and wants you to pray to him when you can in Ludd. An exclusive shrine to him is in your future path. If you can donate Jett's pay when you find that shrine a treasure will be yours. It will make your speeches a lot better. That's what my God told me, anyway."

You file the information away, then frown. "Is the God of Mischief Good or Evil?"

- "Well, he supported my plan. According to the other Gods... He accepts this conclusion too."

"Hmm..."

The God of Mischief is probably the God giving Renata the most attention. Unless we devote ourselves to another God later, that is.

Quest Concludes posted:

You leave Jethro and let the caravan make the rest of its progress. That evening, no bandit attack takes place. Master Jett wears an odd expression at the dinner meal, but you give his curiosity no satisfaction. You do, however, advise both Jett and Jethro to give up on their racism, and do all they can to work well together in the future. Both men agree.

The next day, you arrive in Ludd. It's a large city, much bigger than Elmvale, but smaller than Tornassa. As it's a city on the plains, you see livestock and horses everywhere. You watch as the sheep are led into a field on the outskirts of town and counted carefully.

Master Jett goes over your Adventurer's Guild contract with you after the count is complete. He is very pleased that most of the animals arrived safely. He happily pays you a decent bonus for a job well done.

- "First, your pay. Your share comes to 200 gold."

It is more than you expected.

- "Second, good job."

You take the money and thank him. The other guards do the same. You wonder if you will ever see any of them again, other than Theo, while
Theo is just happy to get paid and no longer be near sheep. (Needed 4950 Sheep for next bonus level, Gold +200 and Theo Relationship +10)

You say goodbye to Master Jett, the other guards, and the shepherds. Then you and Theo walk away from the field.

Theo suggests something as you walk down the dirty streets of the city.

- "Let's get a drink, Renata. I want to talk about our quest."

1. Say, "Okay, let's go."

2. Say, "Sure, but first I'd like to drop by the local Temple."

The Temple (Option 2) provides some unique choices since it's mostly here for players who want to atone for killing Jett or cement their alignment at this point. It's also free to visit before we continue the main plot. Might as well show it off.

To the Temple! posted:

- "As you wish."

Theo shrugs, following along after you.

Ludd's Temple is as inclusive as the one in your parents' castle. It is not well-attended however. After you arrive there, you...

1. Pray to the Good Gods of the world.

2. Stand in the shadows and make devotions to the Evil Gods of the world.

3. Make a donation to the needy.

4. Continue on your way.

There is also an option Knight characters get here to aid their chivalrous conduct by taking a "no thieving" vow before the Gods. It adds +15 Good but locks out all future theft options. Looting ancient ruins is not a violation, nor is taking spoils from defeated enemies. Pickpocketing is, though. To my knowledge, there is no way to rescind the vow. Future Dark Knights, obviously, won't want to take such a vow.

If you pick Option 3 above-

Donations Please posted:

The priests and priestesses stand ready to accept any charity you wish to offer.

1. Donate 200 gold.
2. Donate 100 gold.
3. Donate 50 gold.
4. Donate 10 gold.
5. Make no donation.

Going with option 5, but we do have the levels now for Good points via donating (10 for 1, 50 for 5, 100 for 10, 200 for 20, and so forth). We will get two more chances to donate before we leave Ludd if anyone's interested.

Remaining Options posted:

1. Pray to the Good Gods of the world.

2. Stand in the shadows and make devotions to the Evil Gods of the world.

3. Continue on your way.

If anyone's interested in praying before we leave, let me know. We can pray to both sets of Gods, but it's important to designate which ones we make devotions to first.

Next update this evening.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

No point in making enemies of either gods, pray to evil, then to good, don't donate any of our hard earned cash though!.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Avalerion posted:

No point in making enemies of either gods, pray to evil, then to good, don't donate any of our hard earned cash though!.

This

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

I've been abstaining for the most part due to having played through the series (and having/knowing the exact mechanics of the game), but...

Pray at Good first, No Gold

Mechanics Spoilers:

If you pray to both sets of gods, only the first prayer counts.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I also vote for praying to Good first and not giving gold. I'm assuming that we'll be doing at least one other playthrough of this, and that one can be our evil playthrough.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, 50-50. DevilDragon's spoiler was correct regarding prayers. I have an update ready, but can rewrite. I'll give a little time for tiebreakers, say till around 1900 CST. My dice have us at Evil if that is preferred (d6, Odds Evil, Evens Good, Roll was 1). Vote before the deadline to override or confirm. The rewards for Good are 70 Good means a chance at free training in all forms of Combat but Unarmed or free extra Army Power in LH2, but either is easily duplicated in other ways. Meanwhile with 55 Evil we can get a +20 Charm Artifact for 200 Gold. Your preference.

DevilDragon, it's fine if you vote. I am spoiling mechanics a bit for extra entertainment after judging thread popularity and how I want to write Renata's original story. But up to you.

A playthru does not have to be completely Good or Evil. It is permitted to waver depending on what you find fun. I apologize if my original content ruined things for either side. Second playthru will probably be bare bones and not have original content. It may also take several months to arrive, we do still have over half this game plus two more. I'll judge it based on fan interest once this first playthru is done.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Contrarian playthru continues. Going with the dice.

Hey There Evil Gods! posted:

You notice a shrine to Evil Gods in the Temple that is cleverly disguised as a Good shrine, in the manner that permits open Evil worship in Daria without immediate recognition and condemnation. You pray near the shrine, hoping to draw its Gods' attention. The God to whom Jethro suggested you pray earlier sounded like an Evil God.

To outward appearances, it seems as though you are humbly standing to the side as you make your prayers. But secretly, you send your worship to Noct, Shadi, and several others.

You think you hear laughter coming from a painting on one of the shrine's walls. It depicts a God you don't immediately recognize.

One of the Priests provides answers when you get his attention.

- "That's Loki, the God of Mischief. The Good Gods of Daria call him Evil, but most of the Evil ones don't like him either. He enjoys playing pranks on both sides for his own amusement."

You recall Jethro's devotion to Loki and eye the painting suspiciously. You can't help but feel a slight connection from this God.

(Religion +2 and Evil +2)

1. Pray to the good gods of the world.

2. Continue on your way.

And if we pray to Good Gods afterwards...

Hey Good Gods! posted:

Although nothing visibly happens, even the Evil Gods don't appreciate your duplicitous nature. By praying to all of the Gods, your words lose much of their meaning.

No stat changes though. Same thing happens if we had prayed to Good Gods first, we'd just have gotten different flavor text and Good points. Let's continue on our way.

Quest for the Som'Reth Box posted:

After departing the Temple, you and Theo enter a tavern. He buys a round and drinks half of his beverage in one large swallow. He then takes the Som'Reth Welcome Box out of his belt pouch and sets it on the table. He speaks with an air of determination while you nurse your own drink.

- "No more sheep. I'm tired of taking on poo poo jobs. This is my chance to make some real money."

"Our chance," you correct him.

He smiles and nods, then
puts the Box back into his belt pouch and looks you in the eye.

- "I'm going to hire someone to open it like we discussed. Instead of selling it off and letting someone else reap the rewards, I'm going to hire a crew myself- with your help like we discussed. There's going to be some cost in getting things started, but what do you say to being my partner? I made you this offer before. You know more about the Som'Reth than me."

You think about things for a moment and once again realize that this could be exactly the kind of opportunity you've been hoping for. If you can find something that the Consortium wants, it would give you a legitimate reason to visit their compound in Vernex and find out more about their organization and why they killed your parents. Who knows- you might even gain an audience with Alexander Zusak.

- "So what do you think, Renata? Yes or no?"

"How much did you want from me again?"

- "Well, I've been thinking about it and I can cover the supply costs. I'd just need you to help cover a few lesser expenses. 100 GP to register paperwork at the Guild, 50 to pay a Thief to get the Box open for us, a bit more for a Sage to translate inscriptions..."

You cut him off. "See if the Guild can contact a Sage named Ruby. Her husband was Jethro with the caravan. Give her this envelope, but don't open it, okay? Once she sees what's in it, I have a feeling she'll work for free."

Theo nods at your thinking.

- "Was that why you had us spare Jett?"

"One of the reasons."

- "Well, if that works, it would save us a bit. We'll still need two more people to come with us to the Ruins, though. I'll need 20 GP to post some Adventurer's Guild ads for them. I'm thinking a Thief to handle traps, and a Cleric to heal us if we get injured."

"Maybe the same Thief who opens the box?"

- "Maybe. I still want to post an ad just in case they're not available. Chekhov might know people too, but the ads will make sure everything's done properly. It will take a few months to get everything together- I can handle that while you get some training in Ludd if you like."

"Sounds good to me." You add up the expenses in your head. "So you'll need 170 GP from me then?"

Theo nods.

- "I'm thinking we give everyone equal shares of the GP value from the treasures we find, but partners get first pick of mystic Artifacts and so on."

"That sounds good."

- "They sell horses in Ludd. I have one stabled here, but you might want one. I'll get you what I can if you won't or can't get one yourself."

You smile at the offered gift. "Thanks."

- "So what do you think? Partners? Yes or no?"

1. Become Theo's partner: 100 gold for a share of the box, 50 gold needed to open it, and 20 gold to post Adventurer Guild ads. (Needs 170 Gold)

2. Say, "I don't have the money."

We have the money, but do we want to spend it? I'll leave it up to voters to decide.

We don't actually need to hire a Sage to translate the Box in the canon game, but it seemed a decent way to introduce the character who will tell us about Tyborr and the Som'Reth in LH3 when we get there since we're not Summoning Demons. If we had been able to get the Box open ourselves, we would have saved 50 GP here.

Increased Theo Relations if we say yes to the partnership, and we get a chance at an Artifact we'd miss otherwise. Saying No provides a better chance of getting a decent Mount in Ludd, but we can easily take a free Mount and wait for LH2 since Mounts don't really matter till then. Good Mounts are a bit expensive. But up to you.

Next update tomorrow morning. It will present new Class Level choices. I'll work on it while voters decide on the above issue and post after good majority.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

partner up

I smell loot!

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Partner Up. There's really no reason not to as we get more benefits as a partner than being a mere member of the team.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Partner up.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Partners with Theo?

Partners posted:

Theo shakes your hand with a large smile.

- "This is great. Partners."

"Partners," you agree.
(Gold -170 and Theo Relationship +5)

- "This is going to take a while and I have some personal business to take care of too. You should stay here. It's a nice place and I know the innkeeper."

Arrangements are made and two rooms are booked. Theo finishes the rest of his drink with a large gulp before leaving the bar. He speaks to you before he leaves.

- "I'll get to work on things after I stop by the bank. Why don't you take a bath before you visit the Guild? Trail dust is a good smell on me, but... I'll make sure Chekhov knows you'll be coming by."

You smile at his comment about smells. Theo has been nice to you for the most part, needing only a few behavioral corrections. You still aren't sure where your friendship might go, but you want it to continue. You bid him farewell, then watch as he departs. You go upstairs, settle into your room, and relax a while.

Later that evening, you head for the Ludd Adventurer's Guild.
You aren't sure how long it will take, but you know that sitting idly and waiting wouldn't be a good idea. With an entire city at your fingertips, surely someone must be hiring.
(Gold -20)

The 20 GP loss above is mandatory to cover your room and board while you're in Ludd. Theo will loan you the money if you don't have it at this point and deduct that loan from your share of the Som'Reth quest- which can be 50-250 GP depending on win or lose. I'll do what I can to help us win.

Now we get the chance to pick our 2nd Class Level. To present our options I created...

Chekhov the Adventurer posted:

Following the directions Theo provided, you head to the Adventurers' Guild looking for jobs. A vaguely familiar Adventurer is manning the counter.

- "Ah, the eager young lady from Elmvale's notice board."

"Do I know you?"

- "Not yet. Name's Wes Chekhov. I run the Adventurers' Guild here in Ludd. When you saw me earlier, I was in the field hoping to hone my Skills. No worthy jobs were available- not in Elmvale anyway."

"I'm hoping some are available here for me."

- "Theo told me you'd be by. Let me see what I can give you. First, the City Guard and Thieves' Guild are hiring. And local Merchants are looking for Thugs."

"I don't think I qualify for any of that. Here's my resume." You hand Chekhov your character sheet. He glances at it and nods.

- "I see. Well, it's good you have a Monk level already. The local Monastery wouldn't be interested otherwise. How is Sister Geri these days?"

Chekhov is portrayed by the late great Anton Yelchin. And yes, he was seen earlier in the original content of this LP. :) My bad on Monk levels earlier. The four Mentor-specific classes are only available later if first taken at first level, and 55 Mentor Relations are required. I really should have made better notes about this game prior to the LP.

Available Classes posted:

"You know Sister Geri?"

- "I helped her find the job in Elmvale. Didn't see you before the notice board, she never mentioned she had a disciple. If you tell the Ludd Monastery Monks you know her, I'm sure they'll be glad to take you on as a student. You'll learn more Unarmed and Agility, possibly some other training I can't remember."

"What other jobs could I get?"

- "The local library trains Sages. You could also interview at the Temple as a Good or Evil Priestess. I hear the Gods speak to their agents, try to guide them when there's Morality to be gained. Priestly Powers are driven by Morality."

"I knew that."

- "If you become a Priestess, you'd get more training in Magic, which I've noticed is your combat specialty at the moment. You'd also learn some Blades, Arcana, History, and Religion. Sages get training in History, Geography, and Arcana. No combat stats though."

"What about new Classes? Those Classes were available back in Elmvale."

- "Well, if you were already a Priestess, you could become a Cleric here. But you're not a Priestess already, so that's out. I do have a couple other possibilities. First, there's a Wizard in town helping out the local horse breeders. He's looking for an apprentice. The right person will get some training in both Magic and Arcana. The Wizard also offers a full Academy sponsorship and discounts on Horses at the local Stables. That might work for you."

"My Magic and Arcana are already pretty high. What else?"

- "Can you identify this potted plant next to me?"

You frown at the unfamiliar green plant, then feel your Necklace of Nature tingle. An answer appears in your mind. "Poison Ivy."

- "Correct. That means you pass the test to work as a Nature Guide. We had a wannabe who got a terrible rash from that plant on his first day on the job. Couldn't get any work afterwards. We use the test to weed out those with insufficent Nature."

"I only knew what the plant was because of this Necklace."

- "Well, if that Artifact gets you in, it's fine. You'll want to work as a Nature Guide here in Ludd for experience in Nature and Geography. You might even meet a local Druid who could train you in Magic and Nature among other things. There's a lot of benefit to being an animal lover."

He looks at your character sheet again and frowns.

- "You might meet a local Ranger too, but I don't think you'd impress them. Insufficent Skill at Archery."

"I can't be a Magic-Using Ranger?"

- "Not without Archery 40. Sorry. But you can be lots of other things. Theo told me you won't be in town long. I'm afraid none of these jobs will make you much money. But the training is worth it. If you want to check out the local shops before you train, I can direct you there."

"Thanks."

You consider the jobs available to you and decide to-

1. Continue your studies as a Monk.

2. Become a Priestess.

3. Find work as a Sage.

4. Become an Apprentice Wizard.

5. Work as a Nature Guide.

6. Work as a Nature Guide and demonstrate your Magic to a local Druid.

7. Go shopping.

I'll open the floor to all voters on Good or Evil Priestess and which deity if Priestess is the majority pick. Also taking preliminary votes as before.

We can go shopping here if you want before we pick a second Class Level. I usually wait because there's another opportunity before leaving Ludd and it's all plot stuff in the city, no danger for a while. None of the above Class jobs pay much GP because we're only here for a brief time and concentrating on training. If we want to shop before meeting Theo again after we get our new Class Level, I'll post the catalogs next update. Let me know.

Build Suggestions- Guide and Sage are mainly Knowledge increasers, worth it for the stat bonuses there but little else. Druid will give us bonuses to Magic, Geography, and Nature; Wizard to Magic and Arcana. Wizard also grants a discount on purchasing a Mount here as Chekhov noted above- we may want a Mount for the next quest. But Mounts are still expensive even with the discount. There is an Endurance bonus if we do the quest without a Mount and Theo offers us a free Mount if we don't buy one, so the discount may not be worth it. We can also get more Wizard training for free later if we visit the Academy of Wizards (that's the only place where it costs money) at the start of LH2 if we become a Wizard now. There are no Familiars or Animal Companions available until LH2, but both Wizards and Druids get the chance to grab one early on in that game. They also get side quests starting in LH2.

Monks can get more bonuses to Unarmed here, but only +10. We'll still need more training later to do non-free combat damage with Unarmed before LH1 ends. Monks also get Agility here if anyone wants to unlock Thief levels later. There is a Monk sidequest here in Ludd that hints at Ki power, but it only requires 1 Monk level, which we have. We'll get it after we meet Theo again and assemble our Adventuring Party. The really cool Monk abilities don't become available until LH2, and they only require up to 3 levels or 4 in LH3. So with 5 character levels total available, it may be a good idea to Multi-class at some point. No Monk sidequests later are locked out by Multi-classing. Magic will probably remain our best combat stat for a while, and we'll need Magic in the mid-70s to succeed with it around the climax of LH1. We're at 64 right now, so we may be able to get that through just using it in combat though. Voters' choice.

Priestess awards bonuses to Magic and Religion. We don't get Animal buddies via that Class. There are also some other stat bonuses for a Priestess since we'd be first level, and a free Holy Symbol. We won't get a Morality bonus if we become a Good or Evil Priestess immediately, but we can later depending on how we fulfill their quests and perform other actions. A character who was already a Priest/ess could also take a Cleric level in Ludd and grab some combat Skills instead of Magic. If we become a Priestess here, we can do Cleric at 3rd level or higher later. We can also start the Unknown God side quest to find a God that doesn't care about Morality. It starts here and finishes in LH2. And we can get the power to heal wounds and repel/command undead- very useful for other quests later on. Our party is not getting a Cleric since Petra moved away.

God suggestions for Priestess- I'll keep the earlier tally unless changed or take a new vote if preferred. Traditional Evil Cthulhu works well for Evil Priest characters in LH given the secretive cult environment they display. The God of Mischief has also taken an interest in us. For Good Priestess, there's been some interest in Heironeus and Good Cthulhu (who saved the world per Zeboyd Games) expressed here. I have head-canons for Heironeus, Loki, and Cthulhu ready and can make one for any other preferred deity so a God can give Morality hints to Renata if she becomes a Priestess.

Morality Advice- We are close to the right level for an Evil Artifact award later (need 55 Evil, 200 Gold for 20 Charm). There is a Good award I'll point out available later too, but it's IMO not as best for Renata as the Evil award and we can't get both (70 Good award provides a Weapons trainer that can give +10 in all Combat skills but Unarmed or free Army Power in LH2 but it may be hard to get the Good- if you want to try for this award anyway I can guide us towards it instead of the Evil award though). I have paths to both awards mapped out but I'm not the only Decision Maker here. Evil Priestess can ensure we get the Evil award if we screw up somewhere, although there's a path to it without taking that class. Good Priest will be required for the Good award, along with certain other actions (this is due to the higher threshold). You may not care about either award and that's fine too.

I won't give a recommendation, y'all vote for whichever class you want.

All of the above information was verified via LH1 testing on my iPhone. I'm confident I don't have anything wrong this time, but still welcome any corrections. No Monk sidequests will be locked out by Multi-classing, but we may not get full benefits without more than one Monk level. The game puts in replay value that way. This is not true until LH2, though. There is no penalty for Multi-classing in LH1. So here in Ludd may be a good time to Multi-class. Voters' choice.

Next update tentatively this evening around 2100 CST, sooner if majority is high.

Stats posted:

Stats

Renata, the Monk

Health: 100%

Specialized Training: 1 Monk level.

INVENTORY
- a Pouch on your belt containing 110 Gold Pieces (GP)
- an expensive Spellbook in a special holster
- a Dagger in your sleeve

A Backpack containing:
- a black Runebag with 3 glowing Demon Stones and 1 unglowing Demon Stone in it.
- a Rope.
- a water skin.
- flint and steel.
- a sleeping roll.

You are wearing:
- the bone Necklace of Nature around your neck (+20 Bonus to Nature)

Animal Companions, Pets, and Familiars- None.
Mounts- None.

MORALITY:
Good: 47% Evil: 53%

ABILITIES:
Agility: 22%
Charm: 43%
Endurance: 20%
Perception: 33%
Strength: 20%
Willpower: 20%

SKILLS:
Archery: 0%
Devices: 0%
Magic: 64%
Blades: 0%
Stealth: 13%
Unarmed: 23%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 55%
Geography: 33%
History: 43%
Nature: 40%
Religion: 57%

RELATIONSHIPS:
Gale, friend and future Rogue 63%
Sister Geri, our Mentor 81%
Karla, Archer friend 74%
Theo, barbarian warrior, possible love interest 79%

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Debating sage with myself, but monk, a few more of these and we'll actually get to punch something. :D

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 10, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

more monk for now

I propose druid later so we can save the trees with only the weapons nature provides: raw, magical power and our fists.

e: in light of new information we shouldgo druid now and more monk later to enact this plan

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
FoolyCharged- Thanks for the reminder.

One thing I just remembered. We may not get to pick Druid (or Ranger if we could get it) later if we don't grab it here. I think the Mentor we meet here in Ludd may be required to trigger our connections to the class. We get the opportunity to train via Hunting at future levels, but specific training as Druid or Ranger requires we start things now.

This is not true for Wizard- there will be Wizards available wherever we train in the future. Same for Monk, Sage, Priestess, Thief, Thug, Guard, and Hunter. Guide/Druid/Ranger just replaces Hunter here.

Avalerion- I know there is one hidden benefit to Sage in LH1 I'll point out when we can get it. But I think our Magic level can duplicate the same effect easily, so doing something else is fine if preferred. We won't be able to get the hidden Thug benefit in LH1, but I'll point that out too.

Tally 2 for Monk. If you decide to change votes before the deadline, that is fine. I will also add more votes as they come in.

Edit- Confirmed for Druid and Ranger. LH2 will let you start out as a 1st level Druid or Ranger with no other Class levels but to take levels in these classes later, you need to grab the Mentor here in Ludd. :(

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 10, 2017

• Locked thread