Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

A more fair model would be to pay the author a percentage of gross. So word count becomes irrelevant if what's being said is good.

(This will never, ever happen and I realize that. )

That's actually what I get for Cakewalk, an adventure I did for Fabled Environments. Each sale on DriveThru gets me a percentage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The 1000-word monster is a nice reversal of the 1-page dungeon.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Comrade Koba posted:

197 words. Seriously? Let's take this to the next level.

There, 745 words. :smugbert:

Dear god. You're giving this editor an aneurysm (mostly because I've seen this poo poo before).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

brb, putting the finishing touches on my new Kickstarter RPG, Thousand-Word Monster Land.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

You can add two sidebars, one with fiction detailing the life of an orc, one with verbose tables describing 30 kinds of orc encounters. Welcome to 1000-word-monster-land. :smugdog:

The worst part is there are people who will tell you this is actually good and that having easily-parseable stat blocks for monsters is bad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

JackMann posted:

Each sale on DriveThru gets me a percentage.

I am very happy to be shown wrong. :cheers:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

homullus posted:

brb, putting the finishing touches on my new Kickstarter RPG, Thousand-Word Monster Land.

There is a market for this, if you advertise correctly. Admittedly most of them are grogs, but as long as you don't turn terrible their money spends just as well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I actually really missed the monster manual having asides about monster ecology and culture in every entry.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I actually really missed the monster manual having asides about monster ecology and culture in every entry.

yeah me too. that's the most fun stuff to write/read

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
To be fair it doesn't need to be in the same book as the actual statlines, but like, hell yeah give me more Draconomicons.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Comrade Koba posted:

197 words. Seriously? Let's take this to the next level.

Finally, I understand how D&D5 and Exalted 3 happened.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

homullus posted:

Sorry, Paizo beat you to it. :allears:

I'm going through Starfinger Alien Archive and they have a thing where every monster has to be two pages with art. Which makes some sense, you can open up the book to a page and bam, no flipping pages back and forth to get information. The problem is that not every monster needs two pages of information, so sometimes you get a good deal of tail-chasing word circles. Or, alternately, you get nothing but statblock for some creatures. And their trick to fill space is also to add equipment or PC race writeups and the like to try and make up the difference for some monsters to try and make it a player-facing book as well as a gamemaster-facing book, to sell it to players... nevermind the organization then becomes a mess for players as a reference. Granted, usually having two pages to fill up works fine, but when it doesn't, it really shows. And it really limits the number of creatures they can pack in compared to most of the Monster Manuals. It's the kind of layout that I'm sure sounded clever in theory... and in case you're wondering, the writeups are about 800-1200 words, usually around 1100 (and that's with me counting out the equipment that might be tacked on at the end of the description).

And just because there are that many words doesn't meant the writeups are super-informative. There's one particular writeup where I wanted to just pull the writer aside and say stop telling me how spooky it is and tell me what the creature loving does in actual play.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To be fair it doesn't need to be in the same book as the actual statlines, but like, hell yeah give me more Draconomicons.

It was also a way to justify keeping more writers on speed dial and obviously worked to cement a brand identity. The big issue is when companies do a poor job separating mechanics from fluff, but it's hardly an unsolvable problem.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Granted, usually having two pages to fill up works fine, but when it doesn't, it really shows. And it really limits the number of creatures they can pack in compared to most of the Monster Manuals. It's the kind of layout that I'm sure sounded clever in theory... and in case you're wondering, the writeups are about 800-1200 words, usually around 1100 (and that's with me counting out the equipment that might be tacked on at the end of the description).
This was a problem with the old AD&D 2E Monstrous Compendium binder entries - every monster got its own double-sided single page for itself, which led to some simple monster entries having tons of whitespace and some complicated monsters visibly squishing the text together to fit in the allotted space.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 6, 2017

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

I am very happy to be shown wrong. :cheers:

To be fair, it was a bit of an unusual situation, in that the artist and I had made the adventure for someone else who could no longer use it (she took a job with Pinnacle, so it would've been a conflict of interest). So, the publisher wasn't paying us to write the adventure, he was paying us to finish it up to a professional standard so it could be sold. He did a bunch of promotional stuff for it and completed the pdf layout, so it's ended up working pretty well for everyone. Current project I'm doing for them is at $.03 a word.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

and in case you're wondering, the writeups are about 800-1200 words, usually around 1100 (and that's with me counting out the equipment that might be tacked on at the end of the description).

So, basically thirty to fifty bucks paid per monster. Before self-employment taxes and social security and any other taxes and expenses. You get, as they say, what you pay for.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

You can add two sidebars, one with fiction detailing the life of an orc, one with verbose tables describing 30 kinds of orc encounters. Welcome to 1000-word-monster-land. :smugdog:

Oh, that was just the stat block.

The actual monster description is a 96-page booklet without art, all in 8pt typeface.

And if you think that’s bad, just wait until I’ve written the entry for Dragon. :smaug:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Comrade Koba posted:

Oh, that was just the stat block.

The actual monster description is a 96-page booklet without art, all in 8pt typeface.

And if you think that’s bad, just wait until I’ve written the entry for Dragon. :smaug:

It's just the animated gif of the dragon loving a car embedded in the PDF.

A picture's worth a thousand words, right? how many words do you get per frame?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kurieg posted:

A picture's worth a thousand words, right? how many words do you get per frame?

I wonder what White Wolf was paying for art 20 years ago. If it was 35 bucks a piece, then a picture would literally be worth a thousand words.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Why is it so hard to have a policy that states

1. These are behaviors that are not acceptable.
2. If you do any of these behaviors you may be expelled without refund. This may include a permanent ban on future events.
3. If you witness or experience these behaviors here is how you report or escalate them.

I mean isn't this basic CYA stuff for public events?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Rhandhali posted:

Why is it so hard to have a policy that states

1. These are behaviors that are not acceptable.
2. If you do any of these behaviors you may be expelled without refund. This may include a permanent ban on future events.
3. If you witness or experience these behaviors here is how you report or escalate them.

I mean isn't this basic CYA stuff for public events?
It's incredibly basic, but not everyone in tabletop can be bothered to reach a basic level of professionalism.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
A lot of smaller cons in my experience are driven by a couple motivated local enthusiasts like some members of a college game club or the local game scene who want the "prestige" of hosting a con, and more or less figure it out as they go. Sometimes one or more of the FLGS in the area drive it or otherwise assist, but of course how much "professionalism" that brings to the table varies wildly. If it survives for a couple years it may get better as they learn from (some of) their mistakes, but just as often once the big driving personalities for the event graduate/move/lose interest, it backslides or falls apart entirely.

Not that that excuses Texas Dipshit or other cons that don't bother to figure out a code of conduct, especially in the internet age. But a lot of these cons are fumbling in the dark well before they get to the "hey, maybe we should set up some basic social rules" stage of even planning.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

FMguru posted:

This was a problem with the old AD&D 2E Monstrous Compendium binder entries - every monster got its own double-sided single page for itself, which led to some simple monster entries having tons of whitespace and some complicated monsters visibly squishing the text together to fit in the allotted space.

I wish. Some pages had two monsters on opposite sides. And then they released expansions with monsters that sorted alphabetically between two on the same piece of paper.

Yes I was super bitter about this in 1990.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm not sure how anyone paying attention would have any confidence in the DoD regarding sexual harassment and assault. It's endemic to the armed forces and historically under-reported due to complaints having drastic career consequences for the person complaining.

I was making a joke based on his humblebrags of being a DoD IT guy that didn't know the current US Vice President or the state of sexual harassment in gaming industries, but who would definitely know inappropriate behavior when he saw it. Also I'm not filled with confidence that this man manages technology for the DoD.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

xiw posted:

I wish. Some pages had two monsters on opposite sides. And then they released expansions with monsters that sorted alphabetically between two on the same piece of paper.

Yes I was super bitter about this in 1990.

I'm not alone! Join me, my bitter sibling!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I loved the 3E draconomicon. I really appreciated how much though they put into the culture and biology of their magic flying lizards. It all worked pretty well too, dragons only worked because of magic of course but they literally had an organ that produced elemental magical mojo constantly.

Also, the art was gorgeous.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Koba posted:

This is brilliant.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You could probably add a couple hundred more words spelling out statistical data and demographics the way they used to:

AD&D 2nd Edition posted:

A typical goblin tribe has 40-400 (4d10 × 10) adult male warriors. For every 40 goblins there will be a leader and his 4 assistants, each having 1 Hit Die (7 hit points). For every 200 goblins there will be a sub-chief and 2-8 (2d4) bodyguards, each of which has 1 + 1 Hit Dice (8 hit points), is Armor Class 5, and armed with a battle axe. The tribe has a single goblin chief and 2-8 (2d4) bodyguards each of 2 Hit Dice, Armor class 4, and armed with two weapons.

There is a 25% chance that 10% of their force will be mounted upon huge worgs, and have another 10-40 (1d4 × 10) unmounted worgs with them. There is a 60% chance that the lair is guarded by 5-30 (5d6) such wolves, and a 20% chance of 2-12 (2d6) bugbears. Goblin shamans are rare, but have been known to reach 7th level. Their spheres include: Divination, Healing (reversed), Protection, and Sun (reversed). In addition to the males, there will be adult females equal to 60% of their number and children equal to the total number of adults in the lair. Neither will fight in battles.

D&D 3rd Edition posted:

Organization: Gang (2–4), squad (11–20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd–6th level), or band (30–100 plus 150% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I bought Drqconomicon and used it only once in a campaign but it's a legit good read out of gaming so it was worth it

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I liked Draconomicon because it was a fluff book that actually had some decent crunch in it for both players and DMs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Draconomicon is easily one of the best D&D books. Great blend of weird super nerd detail fluff and useful crunch for everyone who wants to use dragons in their game and/or character backstory.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Draconomicon was the best of the creature-type books WotC put out, but Lord of Madness and Libris Mortis were interesting, too. Sucks that they never got to finish the construct book that was in planning stages.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Was LoM the one where they added a variant kind of mind flayer, because they realized mind flayers are popular but too high-level? I know there are lots of weird illithid variants, but these guys were basically just illithid astronauts who went exploring and came back CR 6-8.

Mind flayers are cool, but the details on aboleths and other aberrations was more interesting.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hate to bring the tone of the discussion down but...

https://twitter.com/hillarymonahan/status/927631606457733121

God drat it.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Hate to bring the tone of the discussion down but...

https://twitter.com/hillarymonahan/status/927631606457733121

God drat it.

I want proof (like witness/victim testimony) of the antisemitism thing because that has a long history of politicized false accusations. I'm not going to demand proof of the sexual harassment, because that's commonplace and false accusations are exceedingly rare. (One day the alt-right are going to gently caress it all up by realizing that they can tear apart communities and discredit basically anyone they dislike with a false sexual assault accusation, though thankfully that doesn't seem to have happened yet and so we can still take such accusations at face value. I rue the day this is no longer true. :ohdear: )

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have bad news about how commonplace antisemitism is too

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

I want proof (like witness/victim testimony) of the antisemitism thing because that has a long history of politicized false accusations. I'm not going to demand proof of the sexual harassment, because that's commonplace and false accusations are exceedingly rare. (One day the alt-right are going to gently caress it all up by realizing that they can tear apart communities and discredit basically anyone they dislike with a false sexual assault accusation, though thankfully that doesn't seem to have happened yet and so we can still take such accusations at face value. I rue the day this is no longer true. :ohdear: )

The RPG.net thread got thoroughly derailed after/due to this accusation and eventually got locked. So I'm not even sure where to look for it now.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 7, 2017

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Behold! The future of TTRPGing!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I know, but when someone says "sexual harassment" I can be reasonably sure that actual bona-fide sexual harassment occurred, whereas when someone says "anti-Semite" they either hate Jewish people or said something mean about the state of Israel once. (And then we have to get into whether they're using criticism of Israel as a cover for genuine anti-Semitism because aaaaaaaaaaah!)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

It's super common. But also if you criticize Israel some people reflexively call that antisemitism. For a few people, simply expressing sympathy for Palestinians constitutes antisemitism. So... yeah, there needs to be at least a little bit of explanation to go with the accusation.

e: f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't have links or anything to show around, but this isn't the first time CAS has been accused of anti-Semitism and the "best" anyone brought to the table on that was some angry posts about Israel's apartheid/genocide bullshit. I'm skeptical of any such accusations.

However, he's apparently got an acknowledged past of being a creep towards women, and when Nicole Lindroos came out swinging to defend him saying how it was all relatively minor stuff long ago, some women were like "lol the stuff we're talking about happened very recently."

• Locked thread