Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

That's incredibly stupid poo poo in general, but what makes it extra special stupid for Texas is just last year they had a shooting in Dallas with a lot of "open carry advocates" around. Who did absolutely loving nothing to stop the shooter, and in fact made things worse by making it unclear who was whom when the bullets started firing.

But of course, if guys with actual military weapons couldn't stop a mass shooter, surely someone with a pistol in a concealed holster will save them!

Desiden fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

How come all of these assholes feel they need 50,000 words to show how much a tool they are.

Well this is an industry where we’re used to getting paid $0.02 a word for artless garbage.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I live in Texas and I can confidently state that I do not want to go to that con.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Desiden posted:

That's incredibly stupid poo poo in general, but what makes it extra special stupid for Texas is just last year they had a shooting in Dallas with a lot of "open carry advocates" around. Who did absolutely loving nothing to stop the shooter, and in fact made things worse by making it unclear who was whom when the bullets started firing.

But of course, if guys with actual military weapons couldn't stop a mass shooter, surely someone with a pistol in a concealed holster will save them!
It is not about the mere accidents of physical reality; it is about how they feel, and always was.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

Well this is an industry where we’re used to getting paid $0.02 a word for artless garbage.

This is severely underpaying someone for professional writing, incidentally. $0.03/word is considered the absolute floor in the writing industry.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That Old Tree posted:

I feel safer already.

Pendejo.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

LatwPIAT posted:

This is severely underpaying someone for professional writing, incidentally. $0.03/word is considered the absolute floor in the writing industry.

lol in RPGs there is rampant free work going on, and there are pits like Pathfinder third-party that pay ½¢ per word.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

LatwPIAT posted:

Welcome to tabletop games industry, which, incidentally, probably isn't considered "professional writing" outside of the tabletop games industry.

That Old Tree posted:

lol in RPGs there is rampant free work going on, and there are pits like Pathfinder third-party that pay ½¢ per word.

The joys of "working with your passion."

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Welcome to tabletop games industry, which, incidentally, probably isn't considered "professional writing" outside of the tabletop games industry.

I knew there was huge problems underpaying. I was pointing out that it's below the floor on the industry standard, as a point of reference.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It also means there has been no increase in the 2 cents a word in the 20 years I have been gaming and known about that stuff.

Inflation obviously doesn't happen in gaming and big hardback books are still sold for a tenner.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Thundercloud posted:

It also means there has been no increase in the 2 cents a word in the 20 years I have been gaming and known about that stuff.

Inflation obviously doesn't happen in gaming and big hardback books are still sold for a tenner.

To be """fair""" 2-3 cents per word appears to be pretty standard for your typical mid-tier freelance author. If you're a regular, reliable worker for slightly bigger companies you can get a bit more, but even someplace like WotC you probably won't see anything much more than 5-7 cents. (Do they even directly employ freelancers anymore, or is all that "actually employing writers" nonsense completely off-loaded to third-party licensees and grifting fans with DM's Guild now?) But the churn in places like 3PP for Pathfinder is definitely a bunch of "for the love" horseshit that pays 2-3 cents per word at best.

On the other hand, it has been a slow, acrimonious struggle to get gamers to shell out $60 for absolutely enormous, materially high-quality books overflowing with art (which is also underpaid). I remember when people were flipping out because D&D3's or 3.5's corebooks MSRP were going from like $30 to $35. Plenty of people will still point at Kevin Simbieda and be all "He can still sell his books for like $20, you greedy bastards" as if an entire industry sticking to barely-fanzine levels of production values wouldn't lose tons of interest.

So it's not just "the industry's" fault.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That Old Tree posted:

Hey, who wants to go to a gaming convention in Texas!?

I feel safer already.

quote:

I have been asked by a Special Guest that has attended our Con for many years to take the time to post a policy about the expected behavior for Attendee's. I don't know if this person will make a determination on attending the Con based on the policy or not.

Recent topics about specific individuals who may or may not have violated someone's rights or personal space, have brought this to light.

While I still believe in "your are innocent until proven guilty", it appears many want to believe that as long as you are accused, you are at fault and should thus pay a price.

While I feel common sense should prevail on these issues, others can't live in the world without specifically spelled out instructions on how to behave when interacting with others.

I have created a draft policy and asked [REDACTED] (the person that helps run this Con) to review it. I do have a tendency to include lots of text that may not need be included (ie: my reference to common sense etc.)

I will take [REDACTED]'s comments on what to include or exclude seriously before posting the policy, though I may include text anyway that he has asked me not to include....

I really do have a problem with people that need to be told on a an electronic product that they "should not use this device while taking a bath"... I feel sorry for all those manufactures who now have to include such information due the lack of common sense of others.

[REDACTED]
NTRPGCon.com

P.S. as always, I reserve the right to edit this post for spelling and grammar. Which I end up correcting many spelling mistakes (let's say at least 5+ every time I post something ... it's more of I can't type vs I can't spell)

"Well, since someone I actually give a poo poo about asked, I guess I'll squat out a half-assed behavior policy. PS You're all loving babies."

A+ would deffo be a Nice Guy™ (with a gun) at this con

PS I wanna say the vice president is…Mark Price?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well this fills me with complete confidence in our Department of Defense.

I'm not sure how anyone paying attention would have any confidence in the DoD regarding sexual harassment and assault. It's endemic to the armed forces and historically under-reported due to complaints having drastic career consequences for the person complaining.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm not sure how anyone paying attention would have any confidence in the DoD regarding sexual harassment and assault. It's endemic to the armed forces and historically under-reported due to complaints having drastic career consequences for the person complaining.

Wasn't it something like 2/3 of active deployment female personnel will be raped and as a woman you are more likely to be killed by your own comrades than the enemy?

And since this an open carry con I take it this guy is fine with someone ventilating metzer for taking a step towards them funny under Stand Your Ground?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

LatwPIAT posted:

Louis Porter of LPJDesign has bragged of paying .5 cents (1/2 a cent) a word before. But then he's also a lovely company/creator who epitomises the 3.x era supplement churn

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I love doing the math on that. I figure I can, at best, pull 1k readable words per hour if I don't stop to think about it too hard. At those prices, assuming zero time spent in editing or formatting, you'd be making 5 bucks an hour. Christ.

You'd have to sell just under 60k words a week to make minimum wage.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 6, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Measuring gaming supplements in words is garbage anyway. The design effort goes into mechanics, encounters, rules, story, etc - not the means of conveying them to the players.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes but nobody is going to track your hours and pay you a living wage. Paying by the word lets you get away with paying peanuts for serious work that takes months.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

Measuring gaming supplements in words is garbage anyway. The design effort goes into mechanics, encounters, rules, story, etc - not the means of conveying them to the players.

Forget statblocks, say it like "this monster has two hundred forty-six points of health" and so on

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Yes but nobody is going to track your hours and pay you a living wage. Paying by the word lets you get away with paying peanuts for serious work that takes months.

A more fair model would be to pay the author a percentage of gross. So word count becomes irrelevant if what's being said is good.

(This will never, ever happen and I realize that. )

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

moths posted:

A more fair model would be to pay the author a percentage of gross. So word count becomes irrelevant if what's being said is good.

(This will never, ever happen and I realize that. )

I mean, for my most recent kickstarter I offered my stretch goal authors either a share of the profits of their book and an advance, or a flat fee that came out at ~$0.07/word. 3 authors took shared ownership, 2 took the flat fee, so I think it was a good deal either way. But I guess a lot of creators aren't budgeting for a fair wage for their writers in this sucky industry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ultimately you need some way to measure what work's being done. Offering that choice seems very fair.

A better way to describe what I mean is that you'd never pay by the word for poetry, you're dealing with ideas. Games are much less art than poetry, but your buying someone's ideas and concepts.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Liquid Communism posted:

I love doing the math on that. I figure I can, at best, pull 1k readable words per hour if I don't stop to think about it too hard. At those prices, assuming zero time spent in editing or formatting, you'd be making 5 bucks an hour. Christ.

Your maths is wrong. 1000 words at $0.05 per word is $50

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

LatwPIAT posted:

That doesn't stop game companies from offering lower. :smith:

Liquid Communism posted:

You'd have to sell just under 60k words a week to make minimum wage.

Yeah, there's a reason I go to a 9-5 as a creative director at an ad agency every day and poo poo out dumb ads convincing businesses to buy dumb business software. I may not love it, but there's no way I'm keeping the lights on as an RPG writer ever. Even people like Matt Forbeck, who are the closest to full time writers in this industry, still do non-RPG work (Halo novels, marketing contracts, etc.) for extra scratch.

moths posted:

I'd argue that the best game design in the world is worthless garbage if you can't find a way to convey it to the reader, but hey, I'm biased.

Flavivirus posted:

I mean, for my most recent kickstarter I offered my stretch goal authors either a share of the profits of their book and an advance, or a flat fee that came out at ~$0.07/word. 3 authors took shared ownership, 2 took the flat fee, so I think it was a good deal either way. But I guess a lot of creators aren't budgeting for a fair wage for their writers in this sucky industry.

That's fantastic and good for you for doing that. I think the old, more exploitive pay-per-word model is going to get some serious competition as more and more companies do that kind of thing.

I will say this: I've done thousands and thousands of words for things that have never seen the light of day, and the thing that got me paid was a per-word contract that paid out in full upon completion of the writing (rather than the publication of the work). So while the whole meritocracy-thing sounds great in principle (and I would totally back in in some circumstances), if I had ANY question AT ALL about whether the product would come out, I'd still probably go flat-rate, or at least put a kill fee or a line in my contract that got me paid a minimum amount of the book didn't come out.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Angrymog posted:

They're talking about half cent rates, bro, not five cents.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

They’re talking about $0.005/word, not $0.05/word.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Angrymog posted:

My math Is fine, friend, we're talking about half-cent rates.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

moths posted:

Ultimately you need some way to measure what work's being done. Offering that choice seems very fair.

A better way to describe what I mean is that you'd never pay by the word for poetry, you're dealing with ideas. Games are much less art than poetry, but your buying someone's ideas and concepts.

Contract technical writers typically go with contracts that specify the job to be done, estimate a time needed to compete the job (in weeks, usually), and then specify a fee for the job. So there is a third option.

It'd be like, "You write the third and fourth chapters of this sourcebook, which are about A, B, and C: here's a two-paragraph description of the deliverable. We are expecting between X and Y words, not including tables or charts, but that's somewhat flexible. You'll send us a draft in three weeks, which we'll evaluate and request changes on, and you'll do changes and send us the final draft for approvals after one more week. We'll pay you N dollars for this job; you'll get 25% up front as an advance, 25% after we receive and accept the first draft, and the remaining 50% at the end of the contract when we approve your final draft."

Then go ahead and include nonperformance clauses as needed. No per-word requirement, no hard fee-per-hour (the writer can work 50 hour weeks or 10 hour weeks, whatever, it's up to the writer to negotiate enough time to get the job done to spec, and a fee that adequately compensates them for their efforts), but the contract does not ignore that there are production deadlines to be hit because that's how product development works.

Another aspect of this is that the publisher is not offering a contract like this to someone unless they have a reputation for completing spec work on time and to-spec without massive changes needed. For a brand new writer, you might build in more time into the schedule to reject the first or final drafts or demand changes, etc.

e. I should add that contract technical writers are never "brand new" - you work a normal non-contract-based job for a few years, establish a portfolio, and then seek contract work based on the strength of your portfolio and/or reputation and contacts.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 6, 2017

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I used to do freelance work for White Wolf back in the early aughts, and the starting rate for writers there was 3.5 cents a word. It's ridiculous that rates are basically at the same point today, almost two decades later.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Did your contracts also specify a total number of words? Per-word pay for technical language would seem to perversely reward wordiness over brevity.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Just charge over profits you american chumps

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Leperflesh posted:

Did your contracts also specify a total number of words? Per-word pay for technical language would seem to perversely reward wordiness over brevity.

I’d have to go back and look at how the contracts are specifically worded, but the companies I write for always give me a planned word count that I have to come very close to meeting. They do this because they plot out how much it would cost to print a book of a certain size and then how many words, stay blocks, side bars, and so forth will fill that book, and they expect their writers to hit that mark because otherwise they either need to fill the extra space, or need to drastically edit what you’ve done.

As a writer you want to try to make your editors life as easy as possible, so it behooves you to write the word count assigned and if you have a brilliant idea for something else, pitch it separately. That’s how you keep getting new contracts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So in those cases, while you're being "paid by the word" you're really being paid a specified contract size, to within a couple of dollars, because the word count is pre-determined.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Liquid Communism posted:

My math Is fine, friend, we're talking about half-cent rates.

You're right, sorry. Yeah, that's obscene.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Leperflesh posted:

So in those cases, while you're being "paid by the word" you're really being paid a specified contract size, to within a couple of dollars, because the word count is pre-determined.

Yes, that's correct.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, the contract always stipulated a target number of words (I assume because they wanted to hit a target number of pages assuming X illustrations, though you would have had to ask my editor about that.) If I went over that number, I was only paid for the first 50,000 - or whatever the target number was for the project.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Peas and Rice posted:

I’d have to go back and look at how the contracts are specifically worded, but the companies I write for always give me a planned word count that I have to come very close to meeting. They do this because they plot out how much it would cost to print a book of a certain size and then how many words, stay blocks, side bars, and so forth will fill that book, and they expect their writers to hit that mark because otherwise they either need to fill the extra space, or need to drastically edit what you’ve done.

As a writer you want to try to make your editors life as easy as possible, so it behooves you to write the word count assigned and if you have a brilliant idea for something else, pitch it separately. That’s how you keep getting new contracts.

This is how Catalyst does it as well today. The line developers plot out books, figure out the size of the project, and only then assign chunks of it to writers. Those chunks are both limited conceptually (e.g. if a chapter, you're writing on that chapter and the events it covers and nothing more) and in word count (each chapter and the book overall has a specified wordcount). Only the line dev gets to decide to waive that, and I've only seen it for books they themselves were writing (perks of running the show). So I always know roughly how much I'm going to make if I get assigned something, unless it's game-mechanical in nature (for example, if I construct some random tables for Battletech, I'm not getting paid by the word there because it wouldn't work; they instead use some custom formula instead or just make it up for all I know).

The smallest RPG work cheque I've ever received (my first) was 10 dollars. I never cashed it.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 6, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Xotl posted:

The smallest RPG work cheque I've ever received (my first) was 10 dollars. I never cashed it.

As a handy-dandy reference, I also do freelance copywriting and creative direction on the side too. I'm doing a job right now (in another window) that's paying me by the hour, with no hour cap, to write 50 descriptions for a large cellular phone company's online company store. I'm getting paid $70 an hour and could probably have charged my rush rate of $100 an hour, but my schedule is super-open this week so I didn't want to push it because the people I contract with are really good at sending me jobs. When all is said and done, it will probably have taken me ~10-15 hours to do this work. And the check I get from this will be larger than nearly any RPG writing I've ever done (there are exceptions), and certainly will have taken less time.

Even in freelancing RPG writing is something I do because I love it, not because I want to make any money from it.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Forget statblocks, say it like "this monster has two hundred forty-six points of health" and so on

Orc statblock, D20 SRD version posted:

Orc, 1st-Level Warrior
Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Orc)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+3 studded leather armor), touch 10, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+4
Attack: Falchion +4 melee (2d4+4/18-20) or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Falchion +4 melee (2d4+4/18-20) or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., light sensitivity
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will -2
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +1, Spot +1
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Temperate hills
Organization: Gang (2-4), squad (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader
of 3rd-6th level), or band (30-100 plus 150% noncombatants plus
1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and
3 7th-level captains)
Challenge Rating: ½
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Often chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +0

197 words. Seriously? Let's take this to the next level.

Orc statblock, freelance writer version posted:

The Orc is a fearsome opponent, most often being the equal in size to a Medium-sized humanoid creature (like a human). The hit dice of this monster is equal to one single eight-sided die plus one, with an average hit point roll of 5. Its initiative modifier is a lowly zero. However, its ground speed is actually a respectable 30 feet per round, which is equal to six squares if you and your players decide to use that specific unit of measurement.
The Orc usually wears armor crafted out of studded leather (that is, leather armor which has been reinforced by the addition of numerous metal studs), providing it with an Armor Class of 13. Against touch attacks, this is reduced to 10. Should the Orc be caught flat-footed, it still has its standard Armor Class of 13 (because it does not have a positive Dexterity modifier). The Orc fights its opponents with a Base Attack Bonus of +1, and it may also choose to engage in grappling using its Grappling modifier of +4. This Base Attack bonus, however, does not take into account any bonuses from character levels the Orc has gained. For the remainder of this description, assume an Orc Warrior of the first level of experience.
When participating in melee combat, the Orc fights using a falchion that grants it a +4 melee attack bonus, dealing the sum two four sided dice plus four in hit point damage to its opponent upon any successful melee attack, as well as having a critical hit threat range of eighteen through twenty. The Orc may also opt to use a ranged attack, throwing a javelin at its opponent. This attack has an attack bonus of +1 and deals a single six-sided die plus three hit points of damage on a successful hit.
The Orc occupies a single five-foot square, and is considered to be threating every single five-foot square surrounding it. It has no special attacks to speak of, although it is sensitive to daylight and can see in dark environments up to a distance of sixty feet. Its fortitude save has a modifier of +3, and the corresponding save modifiers for its Reflex and Will saving throws are zero and -2 respectively. It is very strong, having a Strength characteristic of 17. The remaining physical characteristics are slightly above those of the average human, as is shown by its Dexterity score of 11 and Constitution score of 12. The mental characteristics of the Orc are not as well developed, however, with the average Orc having an Intelligence score of 8, a Wisdom score of 7 and, sadly, a Charisma as abysmally low as 6.
This monster has very few skills, with the only ones of note being the Listen and Spot skills, both of them having a total modifier of +1. It has but a single feat, Alertness.

The common habitat of the Orc is the hilly countryside, specifically areas classified as Temperate (that is, situated between the polar and tropical regions of most campaign settings). Orcs encountered by the player characters are organized into gangs of two to four individuals, squads of eleven to twenty individuals (where three individuals are sergeants of the third level of experience, and one is the leader, having attained between three and six levels of experience), or bands of thirty to one hundred individuals. An orc band of the latter type is also accompanied by a great number of non-combatants, whose number equals one and a half times that of the regular members of the band. For every ten adults in the orc band, there is also one sergeant at the third level of experience. There is also a total of five orc lieutenants, each having attained experience level five. Finally, the orc band has three captains, each of whom has attained seven experience levels.

An Orc is not a very challenging opponent, which is why their individual Challenge Rating is set at one-half (1/2). Orcs carry only the standard amount of treasure.
These creatures are usually of evil alignment, with the Chaotic disposition being the most common variation of the same.

Orcs advance the same way player characters do, that is, by attaining levels in various character classes. Due to the fact that they do not possess any extraordinary powers or special abilites, any player who wishes to play an Orc character has a Level Adjustment of zero.

There, 745 words. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
You can add two sidebars, one with fiction detailing the life of an orc, one with verbose tables describing 30 kinds of orc encounters. Welcome to 1000-word-monster-land. :smugdog:

• Locked thread