Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Peach is kinda a bitch. She basically abandons you on the moon.

this is the best iteration of peach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Expect My Mom posted:

Odyssey's more blantly honest take about local culture and cultural tourism in general is interesting. Buying and hording local souvenirs, wearing the clothes you like the best from different regions, a built in photo mode. It's interested in trying to capture the ways passing tourists think and interact (or don't think or interact) with the places they go, rather than the real world fantasy tourism other triple A games try do, like say Assassin's Creed does this year with Egypt. This isn't any indictment or passing of judgement, I just think Nintendo going all in on the Tourist Fantasy is an interesting idea
The taxi passenger and the taxi driver were a sweet little thing along these lines and I wish they had done more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

alf_pogs posted:

this is the best iteration of peach

:wrong:

In Mario+Rabbids she just rocks up out of nowhere, with a heavy cannon that belches death over a wide area, to come join the fun of her own initiative.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waltzing Along posted:

she's good actually, maybe mario should understand and respect his boundaries as her friend first

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In Mario+Rabbids she just rocks up out of nowhere, with a heavy cannon that belches death over a wide area, to come join the fun of her own initiative.

i wanna play mario rabbids soley for it giving peach a shotgun and a grenade launcher.

i love that anytime peach is playable, they make her incredibly strong. a float jump in 2/3D World, her air smashes in Smash4 are buckwild etc

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I severely over-thought that one, it was the last i got in that kingdom. Right now I'm at 100% on everything but Dark Side and am kind of annoyed at the quantity of hint art, I haven't found them particularly enjoyable this whole time. The hatless scooter is the first time in the game I've left a pipe because I had no clue how to approach it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Waltzing Along posted:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
:cool:

https://twitter.com/Gimbal_switch/status/927761527356121088

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think its a huge missed opportunity that the credits don't have pictures you actually took with snapshot mode featured in them.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

oh my god gently caress this dark side level where you have to do the invisible poison road without cappy

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have 80 of 82 music tracks. One missing track is between two Steam Gardens songs and there better be an 8-but version of it hidden away somewhere god drat it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
oh yeah! here's the one and only time so far I did a cool MLG move in odyssey, seeing the portrait up there felt really good, you can see spin around and kinda freak out at the end
https://twitter.com/RosePrinceTrey/status/926462090692431872

in contrast I spent like ten minutes trying to do cool platforming tricks to get on the tower in Goomba Woods in the Mushroom Kingdom only to get up there and then see that there's a big seed next to it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dad Jokes posted:

oh my god gently caress this dark side level where you have to do the invisible poison road without cappy

one trick I found that helps a lot in that situation is to move around with neutral jump->dive. It always goes the same distance and doesn't require you to move to build up speed so you can inch up to the edge of the poison and do it without fear of walking in

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

man, I wish I knew that before, because I ended up using an amiibo to cheat :negative:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Dad Jokes posted:

If you stomp on the piranha plants it slightly cleans up the area around it. This was crucial, I found.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

I have 80 of 82 music tracks. One missing track is between two Steam Gardens songs and there better be an 8-but version of it hidden away somewhere god drat it.

Check out the cliff faces in the vicinity of the Secret Flower Garden.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Expect My Mom posted:

oh yeah! here's the one and only time so far I did a cool MLG move in odyssey, seeing the portrait up there felt really good, you can see spin around and kinda freak out at the end
https://twitter.com/RosePrinceTrey/status/926462090692431872

in contrast I spent like ten minutes trying to do cool platforming tricks to get on the tower in Goomba Woods in the Mushroom Kingdom only to get up there and then see that there's a big seed next to it

Kudos for getting on that tower without the seed because i tried for about 20 minutes with no luck.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

how are you supposed to do the darkside bullet bill level to get the secret star on the bottom level? the blocks on the bottom are just far apart that long jumping has mario smack his stupid loving face on the wall if you don't hit it at the very last possible moment, and you have to do like 10 of them in a row

e: and of course as soon I post I figure it out. In case anyone else has this issue, you have to let go of the trigger in between long jumps, and there seems to be a tiny window after falling off the edge of the block where you can still longjump.

Dad Jokes fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 7, 2017

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Not going to play another level until I beat the 500 moon level.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Nephzinho posted:

The hatless scooter is the first time in the game I've left a pipe because I had no clue how to approach it.

This one took me the longest time out of any moon, the first and second parts really forced me to understand how the roll mechanics work and how rolling affects your jumping momentum. IMO both are basically essential to making it to the third part which is way easier once you can get through the second.

e: some of those hint arts suuuuuuuuuck, especially the one involving the trace walk Koopa in Tostarena, I just looked it up because I had no idea what they were getting at

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 7, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Manoueverable posted:

This one took me the longest time out of any moon, the first and second parts really forced me to understand how the roll mechanics work and how rolling affects your jumping momentum. IMO both are basically essential to making it to the third part which is way easier once you can get through the second.
FWIW I didn't roll once in the second and third segments (just chained long jumps, plus opening the second with a triple to skip some of the little steps) and nailed the third segment first try after like 15 minutes of dying on the second repeatedly.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So that was the best ending sequence of any video game ever.

I think this is better than BotW. Holy gently caress.

And the place it dumps you into and the way the moons change...you're really killing me with this nostalgia Nintendo.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Bongo Bill posted:

Check out the cliff faces in the vicinity of the Secret Flower Garden.

Holy poo poo that is well hidden. Thanks!

I'm halfway inspired to make some chiptunes now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's a post-game (I think) moon in Bowser's Kingdom (right near the Main Courtyard waypoint) that I can't quite wrap my head around. It's clearly in a metal box (and metal boxes are destroyed by bombs), but I don't see a single bomb dispenser anywhere around.

I wish the game would be nice enough to give you at least the names of all the Moons, because at least then you could do the needful and Google the result. It's hard to find something when all you can search for "that moon near that thing".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny to me that last night I technically :airquote: finished :airquote: this game last night and all of these posts are basically gibberish to me. Like, people talking about a game I haven't even fired up yet.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

MisterBibs posted:

There's a post-game (I think) moon in Bowser's Kingdom (right near the Main Courtyard waypoint) that I can't quite wrap my head around. It's clearly in a metal box (and metal boxes are destroyed by bombs), but I don't see a single bomb dispenser anywhere around.

I wish the game would be nice enough to give you at least the names of all the Moons, because at least then you could do the needful and Google the result. It's hard to find something when all you can search for "that moon near that thing".

(Solution) You have to snipe it using a bomb from the ledge above the checkpoint as a Pokio

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

PantsBandit posted:

Kudos for getting on that tower without the seed because i tried for about 20 minutes with no luck.
thank you! i ended up doing a triple jump off the rock on the hill and then cap jumping in a weird way to barely make it

i thought i was super dumb at mario because man could I not figure that out nor a good way to get on top the castle without the stairs

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This game is teaching me that maybe the Galaxy games aren't as great as I remember them.

This is a much better game than either of them.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

i forgot about her. my takeaway from that game was that i will literally buy anything with mario rabbid in it

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

e: some of those hint arts suuuuuuuuuck, especially the one involving the trace walk Koopa in Tostarena, I just looked it up because I had no idea what they were getting at

I managed the scooterless road with just long jumps and dives, but it was really close.

The trace walk hint art is... accurate, but yeah i underestimated the scope of it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I feel kinda gross having bought the extra post-game shop moons. They're basically just cheating and permanently gently caress up your true moon count.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I feel kinda gross having bought the extra post-game shop moons. They're basically just cheating and permanently gently caress up your true moon count.

Turn in your Gamer Card.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Turn in your Gamer Card.

I didn't know at the time, man!! I'll never do it again :negative:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I think moon count caps at 999 so for the sake of 100% you'd have to buy them at some point anyway because the main game doesn't give you that many.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kirios posted:

This game is teaching me that maybe the Galaxy games aren't as great as I remember them.

This is a much better game than either of them.
The galaxy games are great. It's just that odyssey is somehow better.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i dont know what i'm doing wrong with those loving portrait games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

That's exactly what Talkatoo does

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I like that in the postgame kingdom, two forks are having a discussion about whether goombas are mushrooms or acorns.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Kurtofan posted:

i dont know what i'm doing wrong with those loving portrait games
Make sure you get the eyes the right way round.

Or just take a picture on your phone and get back to the fun parts of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Phillby posted:

Make sure you get the eyes the right way round.

Or just take a picture on your phone and get back to the fun parts of the game

Seriously, 90% of the time your failing score is because you got the eyes the wrong way round. And you gotta look close to be drat sure they're on the right side.

• Locked thread