Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So like, does this mean that when Intel does 10nm laptop CPUs, that AMD technically has 10nm GPUs being incorporated into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No. Part of the EMIB design is that you can have different bits of silicon run on different processes and then all stitched together into a single package.

Unless Intel opens up their foundries to AMD, it'll be those same GloFo 14nm++ ex ultra reload fusion final XX Λ Core R parts.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Anandtech has a lot more details:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12003/intel-to-create-new-8th-generation-cpus-with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib

In short: the GPU and HBM are connected via EMIB, the CPU isn't. The design of the GPU is semi-custom, and Intel appears to just be buying the graphics cores. No exchange of IP.

Also won't be paired with Coffee Lake, there is no mobile Coffee Lake.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Unless Intel opens up their foundries to AMD, it'll be those same GloFo 14nm++ ex ultra reload fusion final XX Λ Core R parts.

Is that something that could conceivably happen? Like, now that the world is topsy-turvy, would that be some kind of a win-win situation for both places?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Zero VGS posted:

Is that something that could conceivably happen? Like, now that the world is topsy-turvy, would that be some kind of a win-win situation for both places?

If intel is forced to divest it's foundries as a result of not being able to compete with tsmc or Samsung it could happen.

Mobile drives foundry tech and Intel foundry doesn't have any good mobile chip wins

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Truga posted:

Just call it Turbook or something :v:

The AMD TurgidBook - the stiffest competition around!

Cygni posted:

RIP in peace the dream

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Truga posted:

Just call it Turbook or something :v:

AMD Uberbook.

NewFatMike posted:

The AMD TurgidBook - the stiffest competition around!

gently caress.

Cygni posted:

Anandtech has a lot more details:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12003/intel-to-create-new-8th-generation-cpus-with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib

In short: the GPU and HBM are connected via EMIB, the CPU isn't. The design of the GPU is semi-custom, and Intel appears to just be buying the graphics cores. No exchange of IP.

Too bad AMD can't make use of EMIB elsewhere, would do a lot to cut costs on HBM enabled GPUs. I mean it might be possible they have full use of EMIB, or maybe they can develop thier own version of it having worked with Intel.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cygni posted:

RIP the Adaptive Sync dream. :smith:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought nvidia stock long term and I buy low sell high whenever amd stock dips because of some retarded thing they inevitably do. I dont really see them as in competition and there is room for both of them to do well.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Does the AMD+Intel news means that we are going to see laptops powerful enough to run games on anything other than minimum settings while not having to pay up the rear end for a machine the size of three VCRs??

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't know what kind of machines you've been using, the OEMs have been working the 15-inch with a 1050/1050ti/1060 market for quite some time now.

I'm using a Dell 7000 Gaming series (new refresh), and it kicks rear end. It's not a thin-and-light, for that you'd probably want an ASUS Zephyrus instead, but that will cost you, but it's also not desktop replacement size.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's not a thin-and-light, for that you'd probably want an ASUS Zephyrus

I just looked this up. That's quite some engineering. How the hell did they fit a 1080 in that thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I just looked this up. That's quite some engineering. How the hell did they fit a 1080 in that thing.

An excessive amount of thermal throttling and an incredibly short refund period.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Max-Q part, which is basically code for "AMD's not the only one who can show good results when undervolting!".

No word on if the ability to open itself up to allow more air is actually meaningful or just straight marketing, though.

(I just wish that more laptops did the thing with the keyboard at the front edge.)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Yeah, thanks to Max-Q it's more like a 1070 in terms of performance, though for a 4.5lbs laptop that's still impressive. Moving the keyboard down to the very bottom edge also buys you a bunch more space for thermal stuff (and means you now have to pack along a wrist-rest because gently caress trying to type on that thing without one).

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Guacamayo posted:

Does the AMD+Intel news means that we are going to see laptops powerful enough to run games on anything other than minimum settings while not having to pay up the rear end for a machine the size of three VCRs??

There are tons of thin or light, and thin & light laptops sporting GTX 1050tis and 1060s. If you're looking for 1080p high/ultra in, say, the 14" form factor and under an inch thick, you've got the Razer Blade, Aorus X3, Aero 14, and GS43VR.

You can even get a 15" laptop under an inch thick with a GTX 1070 (Aorus X5) or slightly over an inch thick and way cheaper (Clevo P650HS). The latter also comes with a 120hz G-Sync screen. There are many more 1~1.3" thick type of laptops with 1060s and 1070s and 15" screens.

Laptop gaming is pretty nuts this GPU generation with far fewer portability/performance compromises.

Of course if you want a proper GTX 1080 and a desktop CPU kind of DTR, that's still going to be 1.5" thick at minimum and weigh a ton.

On the Zephyrus, the Max-Q is overclockable, too, meaning if you scrap the 40db Whispermode limit or whatever that is, and let the fans run full-blast, you can gain like 10% performance. Probably not worth it at 1080p but it's an option.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 7, 2017

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
It'd be very interesting to see if any high end laptops pair these Intel APUs with a 1070ti equivalent volta in 2018. Is there a market for high and low power switchable gaming profiles?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kyle Bennett posted:

I would highly doubt that Raja returns.
https://hardforum.com/threads/new-i...post-1043307751

edit: also from that thread:

https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/927561602706100225

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 7, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I recommend AMD hardcore.

Still real happy with my Vega 64 :unsmith:

That's all that matters man

Also sign me up for being cautiously excited about AMD on Intel. If the price is right anyway. I don't know why Intel kind of stopped making progress, especially after that 5775c igpu, considering the ridiculous amount of people slumming along playing games on igpus.

AMD needs a string of wins on the graphics end so i wish them luck. Also don't gently caress up the drivers plz!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

edit: also from that thread:

BitsAndChips can't read, TFA says Intel are not writing the drivers. Intel must just be validating AMDs drivers and maybe doing a few tweaks before shipping them.

PCWorld posted:

One interesting wrinkle: Intel will be responsible for supplying the drivers for the Radeon GPU, though company engineers won’t write the original code. An Intel representative said they’re working closely with AMD’s Radeon business to supply “day one” drivers for new games, when those drivers become available.

TPU spotted some KabyLake-G benchmarks. Interestingly the GPU codename is GFX804, which suggests the ISA is closer to Fiji/Polaris (GFX8) than Vega (GFX9).

Has this deal been in the works for so long that Intel forked an early version of Vega? 🤔

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 7, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Just thinking about scouring Intel's support pages to get repackaged AMD drivers for a laptop makes my skin crawl.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

I don't know why Intel kind of stopped making progress, especially after that 5775c igpu, considering the ridiculous amount of people slumming along playing games on igpus.

Everyone runs into the same bandwidth bottleneck. Without some actual VRAM, whether that's GDDR or HBM, you can't get much faster than what we've got.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

TPU spotted some KabyLake-G benchmarks. Interestingly the GPU codename is GFX804, which suggests the ISA is closer to Fiji/Polaris (GFX8) than Vega (GFX9).

Has this deal been in the works for so long that Intel forked an early version of Vega? 🤔

Kyle Bennett started talking about this back in Dec 2016 so it probably predates that by at least a bit. But of course Vega was originally supposed to release right around that timeframe...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Hopefully Intel handles the drivers

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Kyle Bennett started talking about this back in Dec 2016 so it probably predates that by at least a bit. But of course Vega was originally supposed to release right around that timeframe...

Looks like GFX804 is the ISA for Polaris 11 specifically. So... it's either an old version of Vega that still used the Polaris ISA, or a bespoke hybrid of the two architectures I guess.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well this is certainly interesting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382198554012?ul_noapp=true

At that price it's arguably a better value than a $500 1080, even though it's got the shittier cooler and comes with no games.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 7, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well this is certainly interesting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382198554012?ul_noapp=true

At that price it's arguably a better value than a $500 1080, even though it's got the shittier cooler and comes with no games.

The 1070 Ti finally seems to have lit a fire under AMD's rear end. This is where they should have been months ago.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It doesn't have a shitter cooler, it has the shittiest cooler. It's so loving loud.

You get Destiny 2 with a 1080 and man it sucks and I got tired of it in a couple days but a with a non-poo poo cooler and a few days entertainment (and probably much better overclocked performance) is worth $45 more: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137084

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Skimming along on the still neat story from today:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Announces-New-CPUs-Integrating-AMD-Radeon-Graphics

The graph that grabs my grundle:

Trailing a 7700HQ + 1060 is right where I'd want it to be - but I am curious to see how Raven Ridge stacks up. Looking like some kind of Polaris flavor inside is true, so maybe a 45W RR SKU will be competitive.

Neat!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would love to have a full version of that in a laptop. 1060 is plenty of power for a 13-15" 1080p screen

I have a 15" laptop with a 960m which is pretty okay at playing games at medium settings but its really starting to drag its feet in newer titles.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Of course this would happen just after I bought this laptop.

But it's okay, it's still a 1060 and an i7 and I only paid $900 because extreme couponing.

eames
May 9, 2009

The graph looks really promising, this kind of performance with clean power management that doesn't have to compromise with esoteric proprietary iGPU/dGPU switching would be a dream for my next rMBP. Maybe they'll even put a 65-70W part in the 15".

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Also of note is that the 1050ti got official approval from Oculus as meeting minimum spec (i.e. as powerful as a GTX 970 which was the original min spec for Rift CV1).

So, this might enable some nice VR mobile gaming with lighter/cheaper laptops than the ones with the 1060's. It could also be used in some badass NUCs, like you could get a NUC and some batteries in a fanny pack to make for a nice cordless Vive setup. Hey, they sell like $3000 VR backpack PCs already, so this seems like a more reasonable form factor.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

For comparison, the Radeon Pro 560 in the 15in MacBook Pro is a 35 watt part with 16CUs on the same process. They should get some power back by using HBM2 vs GDDR5, though. The future is funnnnky.

Also interesting that this is gonna use Kaby Lake Refresh and not Cannonlake. Poor, poor unloved Cannonlake.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

eames posted:

The graph looks really promising, this kind of performance with clean power management that doesn't have to compromise with esoteric proprietary iGPU/dGPU switching would be a dream for my next rMBP. Maybe they'll even put a 65-70W part in the 15".

Why do you think switchable graphics is a compromise these days? It's worked completely seamlessly for years now.

eames
May 9, 2009

dissss posted:

Why do you think switchable graphics is a compromise these days? It's worked completely seamlessly for years now.

Maybe it's just my (4 year old) rMBP but opening Photos.app or Photoshop completely slaughters my battery life because it switches to the GT750m and gets hot. I have to force the iGPU on to avoid that (with no noticeable performance degradation).
The fact that newer rMBPs no longer use a iGPUs at all leads me to believe that switching never really worked.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
mindfactory.de has a bunch of vega 56s in stock for 399 euros now. Except back in august they decided to stop selling to consumers outside Germany, unless you have a valid VAT id, they don't ship. lol

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

eames posted:

Maybe it's just my (4 year old) rMBP but opening Photos.app or Photoshop completely slaughters my battery life because it switches to the GT750m and gets hot. I have to force the iGPU on to avoid that (with no noticeable performance degradation).
The fact that newer rMBPs no longer use a iGPUs at all leads me to believe that switching never really worked.

Optimus is not even seamless on Windows. For example, with Windows 10 on Pascal laptops, there was a bug where clicking the battery icon would create a microstutter reliably, because the dGPU was 'woken up' for whatever reason.

This was fixed, IIRC, in the first creator's update, but it was a common complaint for ages.

It's a pretty small issue and honestly I didn't care when I had it, but while Optimus for the most part works fine, it's not perfect.

I much prefer Clevo's implementation where they have a bios switch that allows you to decide whether to boot with iGPU or dGPU.

With reboot times the way they are these days, it's really not an issue, and then it would no longer beak GSync (as GSync and Optimus don't play together).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Truga posted:

mindfactory.de has a bunch of vega 56s in stock for 399 euros now. Except back in august they decided to stop selling to consumers outside Germany, unless you have a valid VAT id, they don't ship. lol

OCUK have had Vega 56s at £389 and in stock for a while now if you want something outside Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

NewFatMike posted:

Skimming along on the still neat story from today:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Announces-New-CPUs-Integrating-AMD-Radeon-Graphics

The graph that grabs my grundle:

Trailing a 7700HQ + 1060 is right where I'd want it to be - but I am curious to see how Raven Ridge stacks up. Looking like some kind of Polaris flavor inside is true, so maybe a 45W RR SKU will be competitive.

Neat!

That's pretty drat linear scaling with the RX 570, if that's the 24CU part then it's definitely a fork of Polaris, probably with DSBR and 16 bit. Probably running @ just under 1100Mhz to hit it's power targets, but gently caress I wish AMD had released this instead of Polaris 12. Would have provided a better competitor than Polaris 11 to GP107, while Polaris 11 could easily be cutdown to hit 12CUs and just thrash GP108.