Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

apocalypticCritic posted:

Jesus. Was the game ghost written by Taro? Because that is a seriously Taro-esque parade of poo poo all over the protagonist.

Eh, actually, I imagine the ending is at least kind of bright, and that's not Yoko Taro. Taro's games have a mid-point nadir... that turns out to merely be a flattening of the curve for a few story beats, before it gets darker and darker until you're having an existential crisis and you're not sure that there was ever happiness in the world to begin with.

Act 2 starts with you as a political prisoner years later. This has buffed up the pretty boy protagonist into YURIMAN, the buff space pirate. You spend a chapter as a pirate before going around helping space Germany get allies so you can take on the invaders. The last chapter is almost space babies from no-where, but the entire game up to that point has gone from dealing with local conflicts to a sweeping galactic war. And a bunch of those things get undone by Act 2 chapter 4 anyways.

Its an amazing game, I've played though it fully like three or four times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Jet Jaguar posted:

If this is gathering meat, are the other machines looking for cheese and bread? Then Nines could really get a stew going.

I hope one of them is a Wine Box, Nines could probably use a drink after all this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jesus. Was the game ghost written by Taro? Because that is a seriously Taro-esque parade of poo poo all over the protagonist.

Eh, actually, I imagine the ending is at least kind of bright, and that's not Yoko Taro. Taro's games have a mid-point nadir... that turns out to merely be a flattening of the curve for a few story beats, before it gets darker and darker until you're having an existential crisis and you're not sure that there was ever happiness in the world to begin with.

Haven't you heard?

Nier Automata has a happy ending!

Taro has said as much. You trust him, don't you?

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Haven't you heard?

A happy ending. As in just one. I'm pretty sure that one was W? Or maybe it was X.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ending A was pretty happy, all things considered

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Saagonsa posted:

Ending A was pretty happy, all things considered

Yeah, but then we kept playing the game, like a bunch of idiots.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, but then we kept playing the game, like a bunch of idiots.

Haven't you heard?

No-one stops.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You people worry too much. All will be well and all manner of things will be well.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

Beat the game a few days ago, almost 100% on a bunch of things, but not quite. One thing I knew I'd be too late to join in a relevant discussion of was the intro screen.

Mostly, I'm not sure how much of that was Taro and how much was Platinum, since the latter did it at least once before. In Infinite Space, a space opera RPG by Platinum and the guys behind Steel Battalion, this happened as well. The first half ends with the love interest clutching her belly to prevent her guts from spilling out as she dies on the bridge of the abandoned enemy flagship, most of the important members of your crew left behind in the way of an imminent invasion (your sister being the most important one you left behind), all of the political scheming that's been going on and all of your whack a pirate efforts being invalidated as the same invasion easily trounces the nation you started in with 100 times the ships each at around 100 times the mass of said nations military, and you barely escaping through a portal as the good guys you've been thinking would be able to turn back the invasion decide to instead cut off the route to their galaxy by Blowing up a SUPERNOVA. As your character has a breakdown over not being able to take on the entire enemy Armada you get to the portal. Boom. Platinum logo, followed by title card.

On another note, I had probably read too many spoilers for this game to get the most out of it, but that was weighed against me internalizing fake spoilers. Things I was bracing myself for happening because I knew they were coming, but that were just random words my brain put together and latched onto. I won't post any until after ending C and D at least, but you'll proabably laugh at me then.

Yep, you just convinced me to dig out my old copy and play this again! I've only ever gotten past just the beginning as I thought it stayed pretty standard but uh, that sounds rad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

Haven't you heard?

No-one stops.

Mr Yoko's Wild Ride.

It never ends

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Haven't you heard?

The happy ending is when all the machines get what's coming for them for corrupting 2B. :colbert:
Ivan the Terr- I mean 9S did nothing wrong.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashsaber posted:

Beat the game a few days ago, almost 100% on a bunch of things, but not quite. One thing I knew I'd be too late to join in a relevant discussion of was the intro screen.

Mostly, I'm not sure how much of that was Taro and how much was Platinum, since the latter did it at least once before. In Infinite Space, a space opera RPG by Platinum and the guys behind Steel Battalion, this happened as well. The first half ends with the love interest clutching her belly to prevent her guts from spilling out as she dies on the bridge of the abandoned enemy flagship, most of the important members of your crew left behind in the way of an imminent invasion (your sister being the most important one you left behind), all of the political scheming that's been going on and all of your whack a pirate efforts being invalidated as the same invasion easily trounces the nation you started in with 100 times the ships each at around 100 times the mass of said nations military, and you barely escaping through a portal as the good guys you've been thinking would be able to turn back the invasion decide to instead cut off the route to their galaxy by Blowing up a SUPERNOVA. As your character has a breakdown over not being able to take on the entire enemy Armada you get to the portal. Boom. Platinum logo, followed by title card.

It also bears mentioning that if you don't do a few (very obvious) things in the first half of the game, the second arc gets brutally miserable in its outcomes from failing to do said things :yokotaro:.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

The happy ending is when all the machines get what's coming for them for corrupting 2B. :colbert:
Ivan the Terr- I mean 9S did nothing wrong.

Well, not yet, maybe.

He's still got time.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That laserbeam seemed a bit overkill 9S. What would Operator Mom think of that?

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Considering the status of the rest of YoRHa, I don't think she's in a state of thinking at all right now.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also bears mentioning that if you don't do a few (very obvious) things in the first half of the game, the second arc gets brutally miserable in its outcomes from failing to do said things :yokotaro:.

That doesn't sound like Yoko Taro. Yoko Taro would make things brutally miserable regardless.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Runes in angelic showing up does... not bode well.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Stephen9001 posted:

That doesn't sound like Yoko Taro. Yoko Taro would make things brutally miserable regardless.

Taro would make it regularly miserable if you didn't, and brutally miserable if you did.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Runes in angelic showing up does... not bode well.
All the boss names were in Angelic when you played as 2B, but I think this is the first time they've showed up in-narrative.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We have only just started route C so there is plenty of times for things to get even more cruel for what few surviving characters have been able to last this long.

Also in regards to the dating sim chat that happened a while ago. I feel as though if Yoko Taro tried it then you would up with a story that is more hosed up then school days.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hunt11 posted:

Also in regards to the dating sim chat that happened a while ago. I feel as though if Yoko Taro tried it then you would up with a story that is more hosed up then school days.

Doki Doki Literature Club warranted a :yokotaro: or two. There's a recently completed SSLP and a just-started blind VLP for anyone who's curious.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Well, I can certainly see how doing this part first would warrant the "monitor 9S' mental health" line in the pod talk section.

The Dark Id posted:

I think this I saw Heihachi Mishima parry a missile

a single...axe men of the Forest

going with the Astaroth weapon of choices.

Disappoint lack of meat inside.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's pretty unsettling the way 9S has reverted to "there's no meaning behind anything machines do" like he was in like the second mission.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

It's pretty unsettling the way 9S has reverted to "there's no meaning behind anything machines do" like he was in like the second mission.

I don't know how well it comes across in text form, but the gameplay segment where 9S is being yelled at over the intercom by machine lines like "I don't want to die" is really disconcerting when playing. It's a barrage of eerie lines, and 9S' vocal denial at the end of it all isn't fooling anyone, least of all himself.

Then there's the scene with the Pod right after. When Pod says "9S..." he sounds as worried as a supposedly-emotionless Pod could be. You know you need to chill out when your personal Clippy is about to refer you to therapy.

What I'm saying is watch the highlight reels, you guys, they're good stuff and the VAs do a great job at expressing underlying emotions.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

KamikazePotato posted:

I don't know how well it comes across in text form, but the gameplay segment where 9S is being yelled at over the intercom by machine lines like "I don't want to die" is really disconcerting when playing. It's a barrage of eerie lines, and 9S' vocal denial at the end of it all isn't fooling anyone, least of all himself.

Then there's the scene with the Pod right after. When Pod says "9S..." he sounds as worried as a supposedly-emotionless Pod could be. You know you need to chill out when your personal Clippy is about to refer you to therapy.

What I'm saying is watch the highlight reels, you guys, they're good stuff and the VAs do a great job at expressing underlying emotions.

"Proposal: Get some therapy."

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

"Proposal: Get some therapy."

A major improvement over suggestions by some previous Pod versions, especially "Proposal: Kill you are self."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

A major improvement over suggestions by some previous Pod versions, especially "Proposal: Kill you are self."

For androids that would actually work really well. Revert to a backup from before you were crazy.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The Lone Badger posted:

For androids that would actually work really well. Revert to a backup from before you were crazy.

That'd be a good idea, if the backup server wasn't a swarm of smouldering micrometeorites surrounding a stern-faced woman.

Strange Forest
Mar 4, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

Doki Doki Literature Club warranted a :yokotaro: or two. There's a recently completed SSLP and a just-started blind VLP for anyone who's curious.

Just tried that game this past weekend. Can confirm is pretty hosed up

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I do hear it's good for your mental health. And it also has a proven track record of unlocking special endings...

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Really could not get the mental image of Pod as Clippy out of my head.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Between the pod's behavior during 2B's death march, his snarky attitude with A2, and her active concern of 9S's deteriorating mental state, I'm beginning to realize who the real protagonists of the game are.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Know Such Peace posted:

Between the pod's behavior during 2B's death march, his snarky attitude with A2, and her active concern of 9S's deteriorating mental state, I'm beginning to realize who the real protagonists of the game are.

I'm glad you're finally appreciating Machine On Break's contributions like you should.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KamikazePotato posted:

Really could not get the mental image of Pod as Clippy out of my head.

This is wonderful :allears:. Though I think you should replace one of the "No"'s with "2B!" to cover the full spectrum of his mental state.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Thanks for the links.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ashsaber posted:

Mostly, I'm not sure how much of that was Taro and how much was Platinum, since the latter did it at least once before. In Infinite Space, a space opera RPG by Platinum and the guys behind Steel Battalion, this happened as well.

Infinite Space was a good game and also had an excellent title drop. drat I wish that game had a remake or something, updating the presentation from a DS game to like, a Switch game or something would be glorious.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I started Infinite Space and didn't get too far because I was super worried about missing stuff or bad ending without knowing it so I mostly ended up just grinding (and the combat wasn't very fun).

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Was the orb that 9S vaporized supposed to be the memories/core of the Forest King that's now in a form that can talk? It'd suck if it got stabbed by A2 only to get destroyed by 9S a couple months later.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It's heavily implied that the orb was the baby Forest King, but I don't think there is definite confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007
Funny enough, I was really thinking of suggesting Infinite Space at the end of the LP because of the themes that DarkId would be familiar with when this thread started.
And as luck would have it, several main characters also have white hair. as well as a few Drakengard1 detail beat.

Randomzx fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 8, 2017

• Locked thread