Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Speaking of Fire Emblem Warriors, how do you unlock costumes? I was planning on just playing through the story and not bothering with the other modes, but if they unlock costumes...

Nobody really has costumes other than their original and their Master Seal. The Twins have one that adds the fire emblem shield thing to their arm. Lucina has like 4 (mask, no mask, promote, bride).

Other than that I think you're good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jade Mage posted:

Nobody really has costumes other than their original and their Master Seal. The Twins have one that adds the fire emblem shield thing to their arm. Lucina has like 4 (mask, no mask, promote, bride).

Other than that I think you're good?

it's going to be DLC, isn't it?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Guy Goodbody posted:

it's going to be DLC, isn't it?

Part of the already coming packages I bet, but yeah, almost definitely.

Which I'm fine with, I love this game. But I'm the minority I think.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i mean it was the same for hyrule warriors wasn't it? the only characters i remember having costumes were the OC and Cia

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It's always funny it has transcended itself into pure concept at this point :lol:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I've been surprised that the User Score for Odyssey is so high like, usually every single AAA game gets MetaBombed because of some stupid thing people get overtly-angry over and they feel like they're sending a message by giving a game a zero. Even BOTW had that happen when it was first released.

But 3D Mario platformers seem like they're...untouchable in that regard. Is there really nothing here for nerds to form a big unruly mob over?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Some people don't like the motion controls, which is fair, but I think other than that the game gets just about everything right.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

But 3D Mario platformers seem like they're...untouchable in that regard. Is there really nothing here for nerds to form a big unruly mob over?

i think it's a combination of things, but mostly nintendo want to make mario games really loving fun, nothing more or less. and because they succeed very well at that, all the quibbles and minor little gripes about a course that would normally cause the internet to go into meltdown are sort of shoved aside because, well, who cares when the game is fun?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
honestly the praise is well-deserved, the game is so good, the campaign was refreshing and interesting, and I I just got to the post-game where it feels like Nintendo just told me, "hello old friend, ready for the REAL oddyssey experience?"

this isn't a Twilight Princess situation where it gets bonus points just for being a Nintendo, it is perhaps one of the best games I've played in a really long time

up there with Bloodborne imo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did the Darker Side of the Moon levels which are harder versions of other levels before I had even done most of those actual levels. Which was hilarious, because then I got to those levels and I was like "poo poo, these are easy this way"

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Wait hold on, I think I found the biggest problem with the game. You can't make money off of the game reliably.

That's where Sonic Forces has it beat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raserys posted:

i mean it was the same for hyrule warriors wasn't it? the only characters i remember having costumes were the OC and Cia

Link had a bunch of alternate color tunics locked behind various adventure mode maps too. And of course Zelda and Link had a bunch tied to Amiibo before the DLCs.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I did the Darker Side of the Moon levels which are harder versions of other levels before I had even done most of those actual levels. Which was hilarious, because then I got to those levels and I was like "poo poo, these are easy this way"

yep, you know you're in the post-game when you're dealing with classic nintendo level of difficulty

It's genius the more I think about it, an absolute win-win for everyone, the first few hours is the fun, cinematic experience that lets you soak in the game and flows really well, and the rest is for SERIOUS GAMERS ONLY who otherwise bitch about how easy AAA games are these days

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Wait hold on, I think I found the biggest problem with the game. You can't make money off of the game reliably.

Being able to demonetize a review is so loving stupid. It'd be like ABC doing a piece on Nintendo and Nintendo saying "hey you can't accept money from advertisers for that segment" to which ABC would laugh in their faces.

Though it's not going to change, because random people don't have the money to (successfully) sue a company like Nintendo.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

Being able to demonetize a review is so loving stupid. It'd be like ABC doing a piece on Nintendo and Nintendo saying "hey you can't accept money from advertisers for that segment" to which ABC would laugh in their faces.

Though it's not going to change, because random people don't have the money to (successfully) sue a company like Nintendo.

The difference is ABC, doing a piece on Nintendo as part of the news, falls under fair-use as journalism. Also, as credentialed press with Nintendo, their press site has listings and content specifically approved for websites like mine to report on them, as do most companies in entertainment (hence why so many stories about new releases use the same 15-second clips).

Monetizing content that someone else created for entertainment is not journalism and thus does not fall under fair use. If streaming wasn't free publicity for so many companies, game studios absolutely could shut down YouTube streamers and fanartists for copyright violation.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 7, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Relying on Youtube/Google for your primary income seems like an exercise in frustration and it doesn't help that YT doesn't give a poo poo about whether copyright claims are actually legitimate or if something falls into fair use. No wonder Patreon got so big with video producers, relying on ad revenue from google seems like a complete loving nightmare where you're never told what's going on until months after everything has changed.

Axel Serenity posted:

The difference is ABC, doing a piece on Nintendo as part of the news, falls under fair-use as journalism. Also, as credentialed press with Nintendo, their press site has listings and content specifically approved for websites like mine to report on them, as do most companies in entertainment (hence why so many stories about new releases use the same 15-second clips).

Monetizing content that someone else created for entertainment is not journalism and thus does not fall under fair use. If streaming wasn't free publicity for so many companies, game studios absolutely could shut down YouTube streamers and fanartists for copyright violation.

Actually, that's debatable. Video streams and LPs can be argued as transformative works that fall under fair use but there isn't actually legal precedent either way yet because no one wants to try taking it to court.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

They should look more weird and abstract then. Most of them are just humans in dumb outfits and it doesn't appeal to me at all.

The design team just told a bunch of guest artists "we have a bunch of slots free for weapon characters in this game. Go nuts." They're not exactly gonna be major characters in-game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I can't wait for Jim Davis's Guest Blade

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Nintendo continues to be the only good video game company imho

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

2017 is Nintendo's best year ever.

Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are top 5 games ever. It isn't fair to other developers.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jump rope tip: throw the hat when it gets fast. Its like impossible to lose. You dont even have to lightly tap jump.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Guy Goodbody posted:

I honestly thought even the anti-anime people wouldn't mind this one. She didn't seem like an egregiously boobie design

Not digging that pink color.

Honestly it's not really bothering me. What bothers me more is they're called "Blades" when some of them looked like the least thing they did was cut something.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I think it looks pretty cool. What I'm mostly waiting to see is if the gameplay is decent, Doom and Rocket League are gonna put me at 12 games, so Xenoblade 2 might be the one to put me over into the alternate home screen :toot:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think they are all called blades because they live inside swords. Or something like that.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Just played through New Donk City

Holy loving poo poo, this game :allears:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Are some moons in Mario Odyssey only collectable after beating the whole game? I am assuming a couple I can see but have no idea how to reach are there due to me not having opened up something yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

VideoGames posted:

Are some moons in Mario Odyssey only collectable after beating the whole game? I am assuming a couple I can see but have no idea how to reach are there due to me not having opened up something yet.

Yes. A large number of moons only become available once you beat the final story mission. Other can't be acquired until certain events happen in other levels.

A way you can check is by talking to the Hint Toad or Talkatoo; any moon they mention can be acquired in the level currently (aside from hidden path ones). If they say there are no more hints left it means you can't get any more moons at the moment.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes. A large number of moons only become available once you beat the final story mission. Other can't be acquired until certain events happen in other levels.

Good lord! That is quite awesome. I am still bumbling about on Cappy's ghost world and I can see a couple of moons all high up and have been trying to get Goombas to fly up and get them. I did get tantalizingly close to one, but assumed I am probably doing something wrong. Back to that Flower World then! :D

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

VideoGames posted:

There are, but if you're thinking of one you can see, you can probably get on your first runthrough. I'm well into the postgame and I'm really surprised at how many moons I have left to find in like... every level :shepface:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has anyone noticed that their Switches will disconnect from their local wi-fi during sleep mode? I have it set to auto connect, and figured that I could go to sleep while Sonic Forces downloads, but I decided to OCD-illy check it and found the download stopped not long after I went to bed. Now I have to stay up and babysit the download (and be closer to the router, cuz for some reason the range is lovely), just so I can play it tomorrow.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It was trying to protect you from playing sonic forces.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

VideoGames posted:

Good lord! That is quite awesome. I am still bumbling about on Cappy's ghost world and I can see a couple of moons all high up and have been trying to get Goombas to fly up and get them. I did get tantalizingly close to one, but assumed I am probably doing something wrong. Back to that Flower World then! :D

There are indeed more moons unlocked later on but if you can actually see the moon I believe it should already be reachable.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Argue posted:

There are indeed more moons unlocked later on but if you can actually see the moon I believe it should already be reachable.

Oh. In which case I am completely mystified as to how I can get up that high in the game world. I must be missing something :D I will take a screenshot when not at work.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

VideoGames posted:

Oh. In which case I am completely mystified as to how I can get up that high in the game world. I must be missing something :D I will take a screenshot when not at work.

The frogs jump really high. Also they jump even higher if you waggle your controller. Otherwise the flying goombas have a ceiling that is determined by the height where you take control of them. Look for a flying goombas higher than the others

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Anything which prevents Boogie from making money and more videos is a very good thing

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I've been surprised that the User Score for Odyssey is so high like, usually every single AAA game gets MetaBombed because of some stupid thing people get overtly-angry over and they feel like they're sending a message by giving a game a zero. Even BOTW had that happen when it was first released.

I can't figure out how to look at all the user scores (unlike how you can look at positive scores, which still doesn't give you all the scores anyways) so tracking dates looks difficult or impossible, but both Odyssey and Botw have similar score ratios right now, with one being a new game and the other being several months old after all the initial hype and has ~5x the amount of user scores. Ignoring that fact that this comparison is extremely loose at best, they don't really seem too different. Just seems like standard premiere Nintendo high ratings, to me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Otherwise the flying goombas have a ceiling that is determined by the height where you take control of them. Look for a flying goombas higher than the others

I think that the goomba flying on the bridge can fly higher than the others. There’s still a limit, but I was able to fly way higher than the bridge.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you land that becomes your new origin point and you can fly higher still. There are two high up moons in that level and both you get with the frog. One by either shaking to super jump, or by perfectly jumping out of the frog at the apex of a regular jump then diving. Another by jumping up with a frog and creating platforms out of invisible coin blocks that let you go even higher. I don't think there's any ones that you need a flying goomba for that are height related, though there are plenty you need them for.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The only time there's a moon actually present in the level that you can't get yet is if it's on one of the isolated islands that you need warp portraits to reach. Other than that, if you can see it, you can reach it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I am addicted to 100%ing Odyssey like I haven’t been with a game before Nintendo what have you done

• Locked thread