Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grevling posted:

Assegai by Wilbur Smith. The perfect white protagonist, the black best friend who is also his sevant but they're totally equals and the protagonist of course becomes an honorary Maasai and the Maasai have exotic spirit visions about the protagonist and his love interest. The extremely cartoonish villain, a German baron who tries to fly a loving blimp from Germany to Africa. That's his master plan and the center of the plot.

I was angry when I got to the end, and I hear Wilbur Smith's other novels are variations on the same crap.

Wilbur Smith books are "dad books" to me, along with Clive Cussler, Bernard Cornwell, Alistair MacLean etc., because they're my dad's favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The thing to remember about Wuthering Heights is that it's a horror story. An isolated rural community with one foot in the world of the supernatural has to deal with a direct manifestation (Heathcliff and his unnatural bond with Catherine), handles it extremely poorly, and pays the price. The violation of taboo is there to shock, yes, but to shock with a purpose - it reminds us that we're in an alien, hostile world now, and ordinary human social norms will not protect us. As in any horror story, there are points when we're encouraged to feel satisfaction at an ordinary, human monster getting some of what's coming to them (Hindley) and points when we're simply encouraged to feel terror and sorrow at the fate of an innocent victim (Isabella). In fact, it's actually a little more hopeful than most novels of its genre Heathcliff is, if not redeemed, at least defused by the end, and Hareton and Cathy Junior manage to put their horrific pasts behind them and begin to live healthy, happy lives together.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno about the supernatural element, but there's definitely something to it about cycles of abuse and Romeo and Juliet style young dumb love having horrific consequences.

I do like that the framing device is an outsider hearing the story from a servant and proceeding to bugger off from all of these crazy people, but then returning some time later to sheepishly realise the survivors worked things out for themselves without his help.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

I dunno about the supernatural element, but there's definitely something to it about cycles of abuse and Romeo and Juliet style young dumb love having horrific consequences.

I do like that the framing device is an outsider hearing the story from a servant and proceeding to bugger off from all of these crazy people, but then returning some time later to sheepishly realise the survivors worked things out for themselves without his help.

There’s a clear supernatural element. Apart from Cathy Senior killing herself through sheer force of will and then returning as a ghost, there’s Heathcliff himself, the ‘queer, dark little thing’ of alien emotions and alien powers. Something to understand about Wuthering Heights is that it’s a Gothic romance, and Gothic literature is basically reactive commentary on a previous genre, Romance. Basically, Romance was the pursuit of the ‘sublime’, the alien, unknowable, and transcendent, which Romantics like Wordsworth and Shelley held as the truest form of beauty. Gothic stories are more cynical - the sublime can be beautiful, but its alien incompatibility with humanity is as terrifying as it is alluring. It’s a big reason for Wuthering Heights’s multiple layers of unreliable narrators - they exist to preserve the mystery of what, exactly happened, because the sublime is not something the human mind can truly process. Even Lockwood, who literally saw a ghost, still has difficulty believing what happened by the end of the book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh, right. It's been a long while since I read it. Edgar Allen Poe would be firmly within the original Gothic tradition then?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Oh, god, yes.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Poe is probably like the first person most people would associate with the phrase "Gothic literature."

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You want fries with that persecution complex?

And to think I left out the joke about lit majors working at McDonalds on purpose.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ryonguy posted:

And to think I left out the joke about lit majors working at McDonalds on purpose.

Facebook uncle spotted

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fair nuff, it's super obvious now that I think about it, just wanted to be sure since I'm not familiar with the actual original trappings of Gothic rather than its mutated descendants.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

There’s a clear supernatural element. Apart from Cathy Senior killing herself through sheer force of will and then returning as a ghost, there’s Heathcliff himself, the ‘queer, dark little thing’ of alien emotions and alien powers. Something to understand about Wuthering Heights is that it’s a Gothic romance, and Gothic literature is basically reactive commentary on a previous genre, Romance. Basically, Romance was the pursuit of the ‘sublime’, the alien, unknowable, and transcendent, which Romantics like Wordsworth and Shelley held as the truest form of beauty. Gothic stories are more cynical - the sublime can be beautiful, but its alien incompatibility with humanity is as terrifying as it is alluring. It’s a big reason for Wuthering Heights’s multiple layers of unreliable narrators - they exist to preserve the mystery of what, exactly happened, because the sublime is not something the human mind can truly process. Even Lockwood, who literally saw a ghost, still has difficulty believing what happened by the end of the book.

Gothic literature is hardly a reaction to the Romantic; it began at the same time or earlier...

Are you sure Wuthering Heights is supernatural? It's been a while since I read it, but Heathcliff's alien-ness is rhetorical and the ghost is a matter of perception, could go either way. It certainly flirts with the supernatural though.

Safety Biscuits has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Nov 6, 2017

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
All I know about Heathcliff: Heathcliff, no one should terrify the neighborhood. But Heathcliff just won't be outdone, playing pranks on everyone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty accurate.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Safety Biscuits posted:

Gothic literature is hardly a reaction to the Romantic; it began at the same time or earlier...

Are you sure Wuthering Heights is supernatural? It's been a while since I read it, but Heathcliff's alien-ness is rhetorical and the ghost is a matter of perception, could go either way. It certainly flirts with the supernatural though.

The supernatural was almost always a metaphor that could be explained away by a character being hysterical or insane in a lot of Gothic works. They're still pretty supernatural in tone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Are you sure Wuthering Heights is supernatural?
I just read it recently. There's nothing explicitly supernatural in the book. I guess there are some things that might possibly be supernatural, but it didn't even occur to me as I was reading it that might be the case. It's about as supernatural as real life ghosts, ie. you can convince yourself it's there if you want to, but there are far better explanations that don't involve anything supernatural.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's actually been Serious Articles written about how Heathcliff is a vampire. Well, a metaphorical vampire, not a literal one.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

All I know about Heathcliff: Heathcliff, no one should terrify the neighborhood. But Heathcliff just won't be outdone, playing pranks on everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el9kKP3aZbE

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

Yeah, I should have been more specific. The Gothic movement as a whole predates Romanticism by some distance, but the particular vein of mid-to-late-nineteenth century British Gothicism that Wuthering Heights was part of was heavily influenced by Romanticism.

As for the supernatural elements, as I mentioned, keeping it vague and (mostly) otherwise explicable is just part of the genre, but there’s enough weird poo poo going on to let you know that something outside normal human experience is going on here. Heathcliff’s bizarre death-by-haunting is another example.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

All this reminds me of is Mansfield Park, Jane Austen’s parody of Gothic lit and its critique. The main character is a Gothic uberfan and inadvertently causes trouble when she visits the titular manor and imagines all the residents entangled in genre tropes (“the whole west wing is closed for renovations? The Lord of the Manor must have a crazy first wife hidden there!!!”). All ends well, but one of the takeaways is not believing in rumors and the supernatural when there are perfectly rational explanations as well as not getting too caught up in the stories one reads.

vvv gah thank you I always transpose those two titles!!!!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Nov 7, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Northanger Abbey :eng101:

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, I should have been more specific. The Gothic movement as a whole predates Romanticism by some distance, but the particular vein of mid-to-late-nineteenth century British Gothicism that Wuthering Heights was part of was heavily influenced by Romanticism.

As for the supernatural elements, as I mentioned, keeping it vague and (mostly) otherwise explicable is just part of the genre, but there’s enough weird poo poo going on to let you know that something outside normal human experience is going on here. Heathcliff’s bizarre death-by-haunting is another example.

Tiggum posted what I thought was right; it's ambiguous, which seems like the best solution to me. I just thought you said it was explicitly supernatural within the text.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Turn of the Screw went completely over my head for this exact reason. Oh no, ghosts! Or are they!?!?!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I love Gothic stories. That's 100% my jam. I still CANNOT hate Wuthering Heights enough. And that "layers of unreliable narrators" is almost half of it. Because if you tell me the narrator is unreliable after I read a story that I absolutely hate, what I am getting out of this is that the writer of the book is an rear end in a top hat. Oh, the story was comically overly dire to the point where a super misanthropic, clinically depressed teenager thought it was laying it on way the hell too thick, but that's just because the maid's a bitch! gently caress you, writer. I'm going back to Poe where at least I don't shrug when people die just because they deserved it and I'm not disappointed when anyone survives. Save that for crappy Eli Roth horror movies.

In retrospect, I think the unreliable narrator thing pisses me off because the entire story is told by an unreliable narrator, not just certain events that are open to interpretation based on perception. When it's all that vague, then what's the point?

The other half is the reaction of people saying how it's such a powerful romance. No, none of that was romantic, stop it right this instant. It was abusive. STOP.

Also, the mood really didn't work for me. At some point, I felt like it was trying so hard to be dark that it failed to set any mood other than "fake". The aforementioned "child casually murdering puppies in the background" detail, for example? By the time I got to that, I was so deadened to feeling anything but irritation from that book that I didn't notice it until a classmate said something stupid about it. I don't like hearing about animals being hurt in general, but I was incapable of caring anymore.

Honestly, that book gave me such a viscerally negative reaction that maybe THAT was supernatural. I've never quite hated a book like I hate Wuthering Heights. Even learning more about it just irritates me more. When I die, I can be turned into an infinite motion machine just by playing the audiobook of Wuthering Heights at my grave. I'll never stop spinning.

anyway, that's enough about how Victorian not-romance hell makes me see red

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Northanger Abbey is the best. My favorite thing is the laundry list.

I used to teach The Castle of Otranto and Northanger Abbey in succession, just so students would get the joke.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And now I'm wondering how much the first part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is basically a mashup of Wuthering Heights and Dracula through an extremely anime lens.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Voyager posted:

So I love Gothic stories. That's 100% my jam. I still CANNOT hate Wuthering Heights enough. And that "layers of unreliable narrators" is almost half of it. Because if you tell me the narrator is unreliable after I read a story that I absolutely hate, what I am getting out of this is that the writer of the book is an rear end in a top hat. Oh, the story was comically overly dire to the point where a super misanthropic, clinically depressed teenager thought it was laying it on way the hell too thick, but that's just because the maid's a bitch! gently caress you, writer. I'm going back to Poe where at least I don't shrug when people die just because they deserved it and I'm not disappointed when anyone survives. Save that for crappy Eli Roth horror movies.

In retrospect, I think the unreliable narrator thing pisses me off because the entire story is told by an unreliable narrator, not just certain events that are open to interpretation based on perception. When it's all that vague, then what's the point?

The other half is the reaction of people saying how it's such a powerful romance. No, none of that was romantic, stop it right this instant. It was abusive. STOP.

Also, the mood really didn't work for me. At some point, I felt like it was trying so hard to be dark that it failed to set any mood other than "fake". The aforementioned "child casually murdering puppies in the background" detail, for example? By the time I got to that, I was so deadened to feeling anything but irritation from that book that I didn't notice it until a classmate said something stupid about it. I don't like hearing about animals being hurt in general, but I was incapable of caring anymore.

Honestly, that book gave me such a viscerally negative reaction that maybe THAT was supernatural. I've never quite hated a book like I hate Wuthering Heights. Even learning more about it just irritates me more. When I die, I can be turned into an infinite motion machine just by playing the audiobook of Wuthering Heights at my grave. I'll never stop spinning.

anyway, that's enough about how Victorian not-romance hell makes me see red

The idea that Wuthering Heights is a romance is a product of people finding out the author was a woman. Before that everyone just talked about how dark it was and whether that was good or satanic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

And now I'm wondering how much the first part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is basically a mashup of Wuthering Heights and Dracula through an extremely anime lens.

You're missing the stir-in of Hellraiser

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Midnight Voyager posted:

When I die, I can be turned into an infinite motion machine just by playing the audiobook of Wuthering Heights at my grave. I'll never stop spinning.
Unless the device playing the audiobook is also a perpetual motion machine, I'm afraid not. :engleft:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf posted:

The idea that Wuthering Heights is a romance is a product of people finding out the author was a woman. Before that everyone just talked about how dark it was and whether that was good or satanic.

It is more likely that it was a female pseudonym; as I recall, Edmund: A Butler's Tale (a great rollercoaster of a novel, crammed with sizzling gypsies) by Gertrude Perkins was actually written by a man under a false name.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

are you saying Emily Bronte, the real life person who wrote under the male pseudonym Ellis Bell, is likely to have been a female pseudonym?

:confused:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The purpose of the multiple unreliable narrators in Wuthering Heights is both to show that what happened was in many ways beyond human understanding (because you’ve got the literary effect of a whole bunch of people trying to wrap their brains around something inhuman) and to demonstrate that something extraordinary did happen - it’s important to note that when someone describes weird poo poo, it will be something they grudgingly acknowledge because it goes against the grain of their own biases, or they will gloss over it while making it clear to the reader that they’re mistaken to do so.

It’s very much in the vein that would later be pastiched by Lovecraft’s cosmic horror - it’s clear that poo poo went down, and it’s also clear that our tiny human minds do not have the faintest chance of processing exactly what happened and why. All we know is that a strange boy named Heathcliff came into the community one day, that he formed a strange attachment with his adoptive sister, and that when he could not have her, he disappeared, came back as a mighty man of mysterious means, and destroyed said community for the insult, before dying himself by similarly mysterious means.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Djeser posted:

are you saying Emily Bronte, the real life person who wrote under the male pseudonym Ellis Bell, is likely to have been a female pseudonym?

It's a Blackadder joke, ya goof.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Djeser posted:

Jesus Christ dude.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jesus Christ dude.

Are you getting mad at someone for not recognizing an obscure joke from a 1980s British sitcom? Because that’s not exactly common knowledge. I’ve seen the show myself and even I didn’t get the reference until Rascar Capac explained it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I probably shouldn't have made a joke, sorry. :(

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wheat Loaf posted:

I probably shouldn't have made a joke, sorry. :(
STICK TO SPROTS

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is more likely that it was a female pseudonym; as I recall, Edmund: A Butler's Tale (a great rollercoaster of a novel, crammed with sizzling gypsies) by Gertrude Perkins was actually written by a man under a false name.

Well it would have been if the manuscript hadn't been lost in a tragic fire.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Oh it's just a Monty Python reference. Carry on. :)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Djeser posted:

Oh it's just a Monty Python reference. Carry on. :)

Blackadder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i am viscerally disgusted by you people