Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

Morrison also has a good run on JLA that's worth checking out. Kurt Busiek's Avengers is a classic, Geoff Johns on Teen Titans is a bit more approachable than New Teen Titans for somebody not used to older comics yet, and the Abnett Guardians of the Galaxy has some pretty good stuff in it.

They're all good, but a lot of them are things I think you'd recommend who's already on board with superhero comics. I think Morrison JLA, for instance, presumes familiarity with all sorts of Fourth World stuff, and it has this decent-sized stretch where Superman is Superman Blue, then in another issue he isn't any more, because that's what was happening in the Superman comics at the time and there's not really any explanation for it in the JLA issues themselves.

Geoff Johns on Teen Titans, likewise, ties in a bunch with other books and crossovers and particularly Infinite Crisis - there's a couple of issues which might as well be issues of Infinite Crisis. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I think it relies too much on DC comics minutiae to be approachable, at least compared with New Teen Titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That is true. Admittedly, I've never let things like "Wow, i have no idea what the backstory here is" bother me too much, so I tend to forget that aspect of things with recommending comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, it doesn't bother me overmuch either, but I'm mindful that they said it's something that's put them off comics, so I thought I'd mention it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My bad, I missed that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Walt Simonson's run on Thor I would recommend also would recommend The Sandman though that isn't a superhero comic even though DC characters do show up early in its run.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Image and Dark Horse comics might be a good suggestion. There are enough distinct original series, and you can actually begin from issue #1 like it's a normal publication! Some Vertigo series also fit that bill but those tend to be a bit on the gritty side.

I'd suggest Valiant too, but despite it getting a recent reboot it'd still be costly to purchase everything althought there are a great deal of issues under the Comixology Unlimited service, if it still interests you. I've read some of them in another digital distributor and they're entertaining enough. Here's a reading guide to make things simpler.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There is something to be said about stories that end in their own due time instead of being artificially extended long past the point when the creator is sick of it, or works that keep on coming up with some new twist so that they can extend their plot indefinitely while technically the overarching plot moves at a glacial pace.

Marvel and DC have a lot more flexibility.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TFRazorsaw posted:

sure but you'd think they'd make a new lighter and softer Batman now that Adam is gone or something instead of going back to the well like this

I am not going to complain about the best Batman cartoon getting another shot after being unjustly canceled.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

HIJK posted:

You're not being unfair. There's a massive difference between western comics and manga, the serialized manga is just part of it. I will say the first time I started laying attention to comics for real it baffled me why the authors couldn't keep their poo poo together for longer than a few issues at a time. Nothing matters and everything is so different from issue to issue that continuity is a laugh riot. There is no serialized story telling in superhero comics except Claremont's X-Men.

I can enjoy superhero comics now but I still think the lack of real serialized stories are a huge weakness in the medium and the big 2 are only just now becoming aware of the possibilities that manga realized decades ago. And frankly the storytelling quality of superhero comics are absolute trash-tier so even with the new knowledge they have the big 2 absolutely suck at it outside of some golden geese they tripped over. It's not that manga is superior but manga at least emphasizes creating distinct archetypes and writers are allowed to put their distinct imprint on the plot and characters. Superhero comics feel much more shallow in comparison.

Superhero comics have their strengths as single issue-stories but the stagnation this encourages has caught up with us.
I started from the other direction but ended up in mostly the same place with my preferences. I first got into afternoon superhero cartoons, then moved on to actual comics, and for a while really enjoyed them. But as I read them year after year eventually I got this sense that nothing at all mattered. The feeling kind of crystallized for me during Blackest Night, and One More Day, and I realized that it was basically fans writing the comics they'd grown up with, and for them Barry Allen is the flash god dammit. It was more than just that though. The suberhero genre just seemed so stagnant. Nothing changed. Except when it did, but it would all eventually be undone again to get back to the status quo.

It was especially irksome since at the time I was getting into manga on the scanslations sites. Most of it was trashy pulp, but each author could pretty much do their own thing. I really appreciated that since it made the stories self contained from each other, and had a built in acceptance that each series would eventually end somehow. Whether those endings are satisfying or not is kind of a crap shoot, but almost all the series's have a definitive beginning middle and end.

DC and Marvel on the other hand are in the business of selling the same characters forever, and they're shackled to their conceit of a shared universe, so nothing too disruptive can happen in any book. Like, imagine a DC author came up with the idea to have a Death Note type villain fighting Batman. However interesting (your mileage might vary) a concept that might be to explore, the author would be hamstrung by the need to not affect what's happening in Superman or any of the other titles. Not that this hypothetical story couldn't be done, but it would be much more limited in scope than if the Batman book was self contained.

There's also the problem that the characters need to be maintained more or less in a steady state, since the companies intend to published them forever. For my way of looking at things, this really limits the story potential, and isn't very interesting long term since the character's must have minimal growth or change.

All in all it just the lack of variety and eternal sameness in super hero comics eventually just made me get bored with them. Comparing them to manga accelerated that, but only because it made the flaws I already disliked more glaring.

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you're looking for a superhero comic that's sort of like manga, inasmuch as it is a continuing series by a single creative team which seldom retcons anything and doesn't become bogged down in crossovers... I guess you might give Invincible a try? :shrug:
Invincible is the only super hero comic I've kept up with. It's also ending too! Or did it end already? I just buy the volumes every six months or so.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't know how to articulate it, but it really doesn't feel like comics are getting a fair shake in this conversation. Cape comics are good :shobon:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SonicRulez posted:

I don't know how to articulate it, but it really doesn't feel like comics are getting a fair shake in this conversation. Cape comics are good :shobon:

Cape comics can be good. Very few of the current crop are good and it's hard to make cape recommendations to someone who prefers serialized storytelling.

All in all I prefer adaptations to comics to comics themselves which brings us full circle in this thread! The best superhero cartoon is of course Superman TAS. Fite me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Serialised storytelling is overrated in any event. There's nothing wrong with it but it isn't the be-all and end-all - sometimes you want to be able to drop in and out and not feel too lost rather than having to go to the very beginning and start from there.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Just to dip back into the notion of heavy continuity being a bar for new readers or enjoyment. I gave my 11 and 9 year old nephews a copy of Geoff Johns pre Flashpoint, post Rebirth series. (The Dastardly Death of the Rogues.)

Continuity wise a lot hinges on how Barry Allen died in Crissis on Infinite Was the, came back to life during Final Crisis and how his world had moved on.

Regardless, my nephews loved it. They thought it was so cool, and I plan in getting them more Flash stories to read.

In summary, kids love comics.
Also the news about the return of Batman Brave and the Bold is very heartening. Who knows what we might get earlier.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Galvanik posted:

DC and Marvel on the other hand are in the business of selling the same characters forever, and they're shackled to their conceit of a shared universe, so nothing too disruptive can happen in any book. Like, imagine a DC author came up with the idea to have a Death Note type villain fighting Batman. However interesting (your mileage might vary) a concept that might be to explore, the author would be hamstrung by the need to not affect what's happening in Superman or any of the other titles. Not that this hypothetical story couldn't be done, but it would be much more limited in scope than if the Batman book was self contained.
On the other hand things like Brave and the Bold or JL/JLU (to stick with the thread topic) only work as well as they do because of the shared universe.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

All in all I prefer adaptations to comics to comics themselves which brings us full circle in this thread! The best superhero cartoon is of course Superman TAS. Fite me.

My man :hfive:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Claremont's 70s/80s run on X-Men is so good for so long and it's a super bummer when it runs up against Secret Wars II, things get weird for a few issues, and you can sense the omen of the big crossover event bonanza that will eventually consume these characters.

Claremont's style is also more heavy on characterisation and drama and on making sure characters have texture in every issue than most modern comics. I share some of HIJK's complaints with the majority of cape stuff being printed - on a per issue basis you're just supposed to know what the cast's deal is and root for them without being told why. The classic X-Men run doesn't do that and I love it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Actually suggesting something written by Geoff Johns to someone trying to get into cape comics is an example of the kind of problem I mentioned in my earlier post.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
I think starting with series that are newer and collected as trades rather than individual issues helps. Ignore any "major events" or crossovers. Some of Marvel's recent series like Ms. Marvel, Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat, The Vision, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Hawkeye really stand out as ones that are more character-focused and don't require much continuity. Black Panther and its spinoffs can be a bit more dense but I still really enjoy them. DC's Batgirl of Burnside series from a few years back was a great option too, but overall I have a lot more trouble getting into DC's stuff for this reason. Valiant's Faith series is another great option. In general I wish the animation side of things would pull more from these type of stories, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't help but feel there's a better thread for this discussion.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I can't help but feel there's a better thread for this discussion.

I'm thinking of starting a thread about discussing people getting into comics, both trying to get into them and trying to get others into them

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd read it

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm thinking of starting a thread about discussing people getting into comics, both trying to get into them and trying to get others into them

please link if you make it, I'd like to participate

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvi1bBBcAyc

this is still one of the most emotional cape-related things that I've ever seen.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wheat Loaf posted:

They're all good, but a lot of them are things I think you'd recommend who's already on board with superhero comics. I think Morrison JLA, for instance, presumes familiarity with all sorts of Fourth World stuff, and it has this decent-sized stretch where Superman is Superman Blue, then in another issue he isn't any more, because that's what was happening in the Superman comics at the time and there's not really any explanation for it in the JLA issues themselves.

Geoff Johns on Teen Titans, likewise, ties in a bunch with other books and crossovers and particularly Infinite Crisis - there's a couple of issues which might as well be issues of Infinite Crisis. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I think it relies too much on DC comics minutiae to be approachable, at least compared with New Teen Titans.

Identity Crisis. :v:

HIJK posted:

Only if the series was 3 seasons of "Apokolips...Now!" on repeat.

TFRazorsaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvi1bBBcAyc

this is still one of the most emotional cape-related things that I've ever seen.

Also, yes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HIJK posted:

! The best superhero cartoon is of course Superman TAS. Fite me.
At the very least, it's the best looking of the DCAU shows. It got the right balance of fluidity in animation and simplification in design. It never quite gets moments that look as good as Clayface's transformation, but does come close. On the whole though, it's a more consistently good looking show that really knew how to depict Superman's strength.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think the later seasons of Superman Show suffered from the gradula shift to digital animation that ultimately resulted in JLU's streamlined look, but that one episode where he fights some kind of alien colossus is gorgeous.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Lurdiak posted:

I think the later seasons of Superman Show suffered from the gradula shift to digital animation that ultimately resulted in JLU's streamlined look, but that one episode where he fights some kind of alien colossus is gorgeous.

Are you referring to the ep "The Prometheon?" Because I highly agree with you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah that's the one. Not a lot going on storywise but it doesn't matter, it's all about those visuals.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Casting Gilbert Gottfried as Mister Mxyzptlk was a masterstroke

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Lobo's VA was also perfect even though I'm blanking on who voiced him,

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Brad Garrett.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Brad Garrett.

His IMDB is pretty loving stacked for someone who should be able to live off of Everybody Loves Raymond royalties forever.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, I mean, actors tend to act because they enjoy their craft

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TFRazorsaw posted:

well, I mean, actors tend to act because they enjoy their craft

That wasn't meant to be an insult, I just didn't connect the name to the face and when I googled I was impressed with his proliferation.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I didn't think it was an insult, I'm just saying, that's why he still goes out for stuff.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Brad Garrett should do a lot of voice acting gigs because nobody talks like Brad Garrett

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The voice acting is honestly strong across the board. Their versions of Lex, Clark, and Lois are all as much what I hear in my head as Hamill or Conroy's voices are.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

The voice acting is honestly strong across the board. Their versions of Lex, Clark, and Lois are all as much what I hear in my head as Hamill or Conroy's voices are.

At least 80% of the reason I don't like JLU as much as everyone else is that they didn't bring back the dude from Wings for Superman.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Skwirl posted:

His IMDB is pretty loving stacked for someone who should be able to live off of Everybody Loves Raymond royalties forever.

Here he is in one of his first gigs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The only VA improvement I can think of offhand is Orion, who was voiced by one of the gladiators from the Star Trek episode with the quatloos in Superman and Ron Perlman in Justice League.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Here he is in one of his first gigs:

Jeff Lynne Man posts ELO trivia fact :thunk: