Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

its amazing because jesus was like all about peace and love. there were dudes in ww2 who tried the "conscientious objector" thing early on the basis of their belief in the pacifism of christ and ed balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Serf posted:

did calvinists even pray? seems like if you thought all things were predetermined and there was no free will you could save a lot of prayer time by just accepting things as they happened

most people i hear say that prayer works because if something happened the way they prayed then god listened and changed his mind (lol)

if things went bad or the opposite of the way they prayed then it was part of His plan and he works in mysterious ways you cant change the will of god

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
btw the Good Guy With a Gun™ was literally a former NRA instructor so definitely not some normie dude and I still would like to know how many guns they fished off corpses in the church because I am 100% goddamn sure it was more than 0

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NofrikinfuN posted:

The people gunned down were praying. Perhaps they should have been praying explicitly to not be murdered?

You CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

An Apple A Gay posted:

have you even read the book of Jeb!

Serf
May 5, 2011

WarMECH posted:

most people i hear say that prayer works because if something happened the way they prayed then god listened and changed his mind (lol)

if things went bad or the opposite of the way they prayed then it was part of His plan and he works in mysterious ways you cant change the will of god

the inverse of damned if you do, damned if you don't

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I'm the intern quietly trying to get Guy Fierre as the new whitehouse chef

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

chtpt

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WarMECH posted:

bitch eats well done steaks slathered in ketchup

of all the things lovely things he is guilty of this is lterally the worst

nah the sexual abuse of children is

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Squizzle posted:

nah the sexual abuse of children is

True.

But have u heard of the emails from Clinton??

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

this moron thinks Nov. 8th is always election day, doesn't he?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think visualisation works, because you're picturing yourself succeeding so avenues to success seem more realistic, but I think the only person who visualized his goals here was the shooter

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/RichardHaass/status/927908893619089408

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

An Apple A Gay posted:

have you even read the book of job

s great deal making

the book of Job essentially contradicts the entire Prosperity Gospel and lack of understanding of it is one of he hallmarks of modern christianity.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

petit choux posted:

This seems a little like one of those skip-level meetings where they say right off the bat you're not allowed to complain about pay

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

philly goons if you do not vote krasner today i will be v upset and disappointed in you

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

brugroffil posted:

this moron thinks Nov. 8th is always election day, doesn't he?

tbf he just learned about politics last year

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the book of Job essentially contradicts the entire Prosperity Gospel and lack of understanding of it is one of he hallmarks of modern christianity.

Quite a lot of the Bible contradicts the entire Prosperity Gospel, but yeah, Job is kind of the master class there.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

An Apple A Gay posted:

have you even read the book of job

s great deal making

Literally the thing that got me to question my christian upbringing.

Rewarding a faithful servant by making GBS threads on him to win a bet. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the religion.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

petit choux posted:

I had this live album dubbed on audio cassette tape and it burned into my 12 year old brain.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

docbeard posted:

Quite a lot of the Bible contradicts the entire Prosperity Gospel, but yeah, Job is kind of the master class there.

such a good read

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Prayer apparently works like gangbusters if you’re beseeching God for you and your 18 month old to catch a bullet in the temple.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

docbeard posted:

obviously, and the lack of understanding also betrays the entire lack of knowledge about how Jews in pre-roman days saw the afterlife and poo poo working, which also is important to understand greater themes, like the descendants of Adam having extremely long lives that keep getting shorter.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

Literally the thing that got me to question my christian upbringing.

Rewarding a faithful servant by making GBS threads on him to win a bet. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the religion.

the point is that job and the reader cannot even begin to understand why it happened because a god who is greater than all of creation cannot be understood fully by anything w/in creation

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/927794856306593792

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

my mom likes to say that god is great and does great things

and then i wonder which god shes talking about because the god in the old testament was kind of a dick

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

MadJackal posted:

Prayer apparently works like gangbusters if you’re beseeching God for you and your 18 month old to catch a bullet in the temple.

in the church, you mean

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

JEB!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I got extremely drunk last night and called in hung over today. Did the piss tape drop?

All that I want rn is to eat eggs and watch piss tape on autorepeat.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

WarMECH posted:

my mom likes to say that god is great and does great things

and then i wonder which god shes talking about because the god in the old testament was kind of a dick

literally a bettin' man

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

zegermans posted:

I didn't know pokemons had cloacas

#PowerOfPrayer

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

agree, but I was praying for rural death

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Squizzle posted:

in the church, you mean

drat it Squizzle.

:lol:

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Pook Good Mook posted:

You don't get to selectively invoke the 5th. Once you've testified against yourself it's generally gone unless you produced information pursuant to a proffer or some sort of agreement.

Carter Page is trying to invoke the 5th on anything HE thinks looks bad as well as things that he thinks makes other people look bad (which is obviously not covered by the 5th).

Thanks. So he lost the right to invoke the 5th once he'd already provided testimony, or self-incrimintating testimony?

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

I got extremely drunk last night and called in hung over today. Did the piss tape drop?

All that I want rn is to eat eggs and watch piss tape on autorepeat.

yeah thats how you re-hydrate, my man

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Squizzle posted:

in the church, you mean

hahahaha

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

attn triple sulk, if you are reading this, ik buttons work just fine when your probed

like if you want to probe someone, queue a title change, change a thread title, w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

• Locked thread