Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crow Jane posted:

Not only are you loving a horse on the reg, that horse is your father's sloppy seconds

Not true! Daddy never hosed Glitterhoof!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
can you seduce glitterhoof

and does the veni vidi vici event bypass the horse trait

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Does Glitterhoof get replaced by a camel or elephant if you're playing an Arabic or Indian character?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

Not only are you loving a horse on the reg, that horse is your father's sloppy seconds

Seconding new thread title

Is there any indication of save game compatibility? I know rolling back is always an option if not but I’m tempted to start anew tonight.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Safe to assume that any map changes mean the save game won’t be compatible

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Weavered posted:

Seconding new thread title

Is there any indication of save game compatibility? I know rolling back is always an option if not but I’m tempted to start anew tonight.
Map shenanigans are all but guaranteed to gently caress poo poo up and they happen this patch

Crow Jane posted:

Does Glitterhoof get replaced by a camel or elephant if you're playing an Arabic or Indian character?
They do not, which is a bit weak but on the other hand it's not like they didnt have horses too

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They do not, which is a bit weak but on the other hand it's not like they didnt have horses too

Counterpoint: Glitterhoof, Glitterhump and Glittertusk would make an excellent set of councillors.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Weavered posted:

Counterpoint: Glitterhoof, Glitterhump and Glittertusk would make an excellent set of councillors.

Groogy, get on this asap please.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Weavered posted:

Add in the cats, dogs, owls and parrots you can get in events, and your whole council could potentially be animals. I imagine things would probably go to hell pretty fast, but at least the council screen would be adorable :3:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I'm having my most successful game ever since I somehow formed the HRE as Charlemagne. I already have most of Norway and Sweden and I've gotten about half a dozen or small states to just straight up accept being vassals. Even better my son who took over was a high ranking Satanist. I'm not sure where to move next, I think Denmark is ruled by a relative, but I'd need to double check. I'm thinking to just go after the small states around Finland since it isn't near any majors and work on getting the Kingdom of Finland to go with my Kingdom of Sweden, so I can form the Empire of Scandinavia. I kind of wish the save wasn't an iron man one now so I could play around with things more, but eh the risk involved is kind of fun too.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 7, 2017

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Add in the cats, dogs, owls and parrots you can get in events, and your whole council could potentially be animals. I imagine things would probably go to hell pretty fast, but at least the council screen would be adorable :3:

I want the Polar Bear Kingdom of Jan Mayen.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Animals are good, but we are already getting one in Jade Dragon

also fuuuucckkk why can't it come out sooner?????

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crow Jane posted:

i got the event where if you have an intrigue cat and a hunting dog at the same time they fight and you can gamble on them becoming friends or not (mine became friends :3)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what are some tips for consolidating my rule or what I should do next? It appears I still use the pagan default, and I don't have to worry about a Gavelkind clusterfuck trashing the Kingdom.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So what are some tips for consolidating my rule or what I should do next? It appears I still use the pagan default, and I don't have to worry about a Gavelkind clusterfuck trashing the Kingdom.

I mean, once you've reformed the faith and switched to Primo/Ultimogeniture, it's whatever you want to do. Find some land bordering a bunch of heathens and give it to an Aggressive, Zealous relative. Then do the same with another patch of land. Give it 20 years and see the sort of chaos they've wreaked in their neighbourhoods.
Or, go raiding to find out how exotic you can make your new concubines. Bonus if you can then get an heir that will let you switch Culture to one that gives you Horse Archers.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingturnip posted:

I mean, once you've reformed the faith and switched to Primo/Ultimogeniture, it's whatever you want to do. Find some land bordering a bunch of heathens and give it to an Aggressive, Zealous relative. Then do the same with another patch of land. Give it 20 years and see the sort of chaos they've wreaked in their neighbourhoods.
Or, go raiding to find out how exotic you can make your new concubines. Bonus if you can then get an heir that will let you switch Culture to one that gives you Horse Archers.

See that's the thing I've never reformed the faith once in a game. I've gone from tribal to feudel, but never anything with religion. I think that might be nice to try after getting an Emperor level title.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but has anyone else had a bunch of money added to their treasury for no discernible reason lately? I was at around 1000 gold, looked away for a second, and suddenly had 6000-something. No events or pop-ups or anything, just a big ol' pile of gold

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but has anyone else had a bunch of money added to their treasury for no discernible reason lately? I was at around 1000 gold, looked away for a second, and suddenly had 6000-something. No events or pop-ups or anything, just a big ol' pile of gold

That usually happens because some branch of your dynasty died off somewhere without an heir and they managed to accumulate a significant sum of money somehow (being involved in merchant Republics can lead to this - all the unlanded male dynasty members actually do get their share of the money, but they can't spend it on anything so they just keep accumulating it and passing it on when they die, and so on until the branch cuts off).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That usually happens because some branch of your dynasty died off somewhere without an heir and they managed to accumulate a significant sum of money somehow (being involved in merchant Republics can lead to this - all the unlanded male dynasty members actually do get their share of the money, but they can't spend it on anything so they just keep accumulating it and passing it on when they die, and so on until the branch cuts off).

That or I think a top level liege also inherits gold from vassals who die without any valid heir. If you've got the patience to constantly reassign titles a good way to manage your realm is to give every title to an ancient homosexual and then pay them off to keep them happy, collecting back the titles and gold a couple of years later when they inevitably die childless.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

That or I think a top level liege also inherits gold from vassals who die without any valid heir. If you've got the patience to constantly reassign titles a good way to manage your realm is to give every title to an ancient homosexual and then pay them off to keep them happy, collecting back the titles and gold a couple of years later when they inevitably die childless.
The "old gays married to crones of every nation" stratagem is a fine and fun one

MazelTovCocktail posted:

See that's the thing I've never reformed the faith once in a game. I've gone from tribal to feudel, but never anything with religion. I think that might be nice to try after getting an Emperor level title.
I say invade Andalusia or Africa, both of them are nice little places to set out for further conquests.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I am playing AFter the End as an Americanist. I have all the reqs filled for Restore America, but for some reason "The Kingdom of Columbia Is Completely Controlled" is still X'd out. I am the King of Columbia, have an empire-level title above it, and all of the de jure Kingdom is in my Realm.What gives?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

JoshTheStampede posted:

I am playing AFter the End as an Americanist. I have all the reqs filled for Restore America, but for some reason "The Kingdom of Columbia Is Completely Controlled" is still X'd out. I am the King of Columbia, have an empire-level title above it, and all of the de jure Kingdom is in my Realm.What gives?

At a guess it's a barony, possibly owned by the Men in Black? That's the usual problem in vanilla WRT kingdoms not being completely controlled.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

darthbob88 posted:

At a guess it's a barony, possibly owned by the Men in Black? That's the usual problem in vanilla WRT kingdoms not being completely controlled.

Good guess. That sure is the problem. Is there...anything to be done about that? I can't revoke baronies, he won't accept vassalization, and I have no valid CBs on him.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really enjoy the early middle age british isles. Lots of small petty kingdoms, relatively isolated, and it's a long time before france wants to play. Plenty of time to play as an insignificant pawn and rise to maybe form england or scotland, and things like that. It's really fun.

But I've had CK2 a long time, and spent a lot on DLCs i've barely used.

Any suggestions for where I should play, for something similar but different? Or am i more or less stuck with the british isles for that king of thing?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

Good guess. That sure is the problem. Is there...anything to be done about that? I can't revoke baronies, he won't accept vassalization, and I have no valid CBs on him.
What? You should have a de jure holding CB on him. Why won't he vassalize? Wrong culture? Try granting him a duchy under your de jure kingdom?

I vaguely remember this working for regular holy orders...

basic hitler posted:

I really enjoy the early middle age british isles. Lots of small petty kingdoms, relatively isolated, and it's a long time before france wants to play. Plenty of time to play as an insignificant pawn and rise to maybe form england or scotland, and things like that. It's really fun.

Any suggestions for where I should play, for something similar but different? Or am i more or less stuck with the british isles for that king of thing?
Nordics are also kinda scattered, as is east europe. Tarin basin, kinda, but it's gonna be reworked so much for Jade Dragon I cannot recommend it in good heart

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

basic hitler posted:

If you have Rajas, India is relatively isolated and has some lovely Silk road cash.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

basic hitler posted:

If you want to try an Islamic ruler, a duke in the Arabian Peninsula in the Early Middle Ages is kind of like that. It's pretty easy to snowball by gobbling up your weak neighbors for piety, you have no external threats for a very long time, and the kingdom title is waiting to be created.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What? You should have a de jure holding CB on him. Why won't he vassalize? Wrong culture? Try granting him a duchy under your de jure kingdom?

I vaguely remember this working for regular holy orders...
Nordics are also kinda scattered, as is east europe. Tarin basin, kinda, but it's gonna be reworked so much for Jade Dragon I cannot recommend it in good heart

Well, I don't directly hold the county his barony is in, my vassal (or possibly my vassal's vassal) does. There's an Intrigue event to vassalize the order, so maybe I have to do it that way (I don't yet qualify for that one.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

867 is an amazing start. It's the most divided western Europe gets, and they've all got gavelkind, so it'll only get more divided if they screw up their wars on each other. The only downside is that the reconquista will probably never happen in Spain, the Byzantines might never fall, and vikings.

In my latest game, it turns out that even when you want to chill out as a vassal, when you're not paying attention you become your liege's top vassal, and even my new ruler got immediately appointed councilor, commander, regent, and master of the hunt. It's even gotten to the point that my liege keeps poaching away my children from my super-tutors, but at least I can stop him from French-ifying them. Sure, I may have crushed the state of Lotharingia/Italy while my liege has been reduced to a rump state without Aquitane, but c'mon.

Now I'm at the point where I've wrestled away all the dutch lands and my plan was to form Frisia and move from there, but that'd be the "wrong" decision, because I could get so much more de jure territory by seizing the crown for myself.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you don't have the two Frisia achievements, you might as well just form it and work on them. It's also rich as hell, so it's a good place to set up shop anyway.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ill be messing with them a bit tonight.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What are some other good Nasty Nantes-esque starts? I want to start small but have the potential to get weird.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Has Pdox announced or hinted at any plans for naval combat in CK2? Since there are sounds for it in game, if nothing else itll something for CK3. :v:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

What are some other good Nasty Nantes-esque starts? I want to start small but have the potential to get weird.
There's nothing quite on the level of Hæsteinn. Dyre the Stranger maybe? Some of the Berbers can get up to shenanigans, at least while tribal and one of my fav things to do is to grab way too much land near the Umms, then swear fealty to the Abbs and start working some Assassin and secret Shiite shenanigans.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Holy poo poo, I may have had the incredible battle I've ever seen in this game. :stare:

Playing as the Armenian Empire, with CK2+ and Rebels and Warmongers. At this point, I've recreated the borders of Alexander the Great and I'm pushing into India against another empire that's united about 75% of the subcontinent, so we're essentially the two most powerful nations on Earth slugging it out over a duchy in the Hindu Kush.

Not only did we win while outnumbered more than two to one, but the Armenians slaughtered the Indians to a loving man. To be fair, they were attacking an entrenched position across a river, and it may have been helped by the fact that the Armenian emperor personally killed one of their flank commanders in a mounted duel. I imagine that in this timeline, the Battle of Kuh Taftan is taught right alongside Cannae and Teutuburg Forest at military academies around the world.

EDIT: Oh wow, doing some quick research, it turns out that Taftan IRL is an active volcano. Holy hell. :black101:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 10, 2017

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You have doomed yourself. Too much blood has been shed to the volcano god. It will now erupt and destroy you all.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Sky Shadowing posted:

You have doomed yourself. Too much blood has been shed to the volcano god. It will now erupt and destroy you all.
He should rename his emperor to Xenu.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Holy poo poo, I may have had the incredible battle I've ever seen in this game. :stare:

Playing as the Armenian Empire, with CK2+ and Rebels and Warmongers. At this point, I've recreated the borders of Alexander the Great and I'm pushing into India against another empire that's united about 75% of the subcontinent, so we're essentially the two most powerful nations on Earth slugging it out over a duchy in the Hindu Kush.

Not only did we win while outnumbered more than two to one, but the Armenians slaughtered the Indians to a loving man. To be fair, they were attacking an entrenched position across a river, and it may have been helped by the fact that the Armenian emperor personally killed one of their flank commanders in a mounted duel. I imagine that in this timeline, the Battle of Kuh Taftan is taught right alongside Cannae and Teutuburg Forest at military academies around the world.

EDIT: Oh wow, doing some quick research, it turns out that Taftan IRL is an active volcano. Holy hell. :black101:

Y'know, it could be cool if CK2 (and EU4) had some little marker on the map for important or super bloody battles like how Total War does.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dwesa posted:

He should rename his emperor to Xenu.

Too late, his wife killed him because he liked loving dudes on the side. Whadduya gonna do. :shrug:

His daughter, though, is only 19 years old and already an Immortal Warlord and a level-3 spear wielder, so I predict much more asskicking in her future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Playing with Monks and Mystics, I like the idea of like having opt-in extra story events to spice up more boring reigns, but so far the Dominican order is super boring and Hermetic is fun, but probably overpowered. Throughout the DLCs and expansions there has been a lot of stat inflation, and hermetic really pushes things to the edge. Also, as conceptually neat it is to have a handgun in the year 900, it's also really out of place. Really weird that the hermetic society doesn't do anything with the technology system too. I'm also playing without satanism, which I'm sure is even more overpowered and historically inaccurate, but probably pretty handy if you're trying to powergame on iron man. The treasure system is also probably more trouble than its worth.

The new councilor options can be kinda nifty, but they also kinda break the system that alarms you if you haven't given your councilor orders yet. Theoretically the ordering allies should be neat, but I'm too stupid to use it well.

There's nothing like having a good long reign with a great ruler, and then when he dies his son lasts a week and then the guy after that is terrible because my son was out of my control. I didn't know how close I was riding to the vassal/demesne limit, and now I need to either secede to form Frisia or forge a claim on my liege's throne (which my liege has made difficult by stopping me from plotting) or figure out a way to claim an already existing crown. In the meantime, I've put my dynasty in control of several far-flung lands in Bulgaria, Hungary, Italy, and England, and I've tributized most of the states in Germany and Denmark.

• Locked thread