Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I'm not sold on that gem only bundle. Not that it can't be crafted (like many I stopped spending cash on this after 2.0) but the "can't be bought separately" is lovely practice.

Anyway Reddit is in full meltdown over this so Blizz may take a step back and reevaluate their course on this one.

Have some funposts:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

What's really sad to me is that this is blatantly motivated by a lack of Gem sales, something that Blizzard caused in the first place by making Gems too limited in application. The game gives you all of the tools that you need to get what you want:
  • Gold buys the Heroes that you want (and in some cases, Very Special Mounts).
  • XP gets Levels, which gets you Loot Boxes, which possibly gets you that Customization you want.
  • If Loot Boxes fail you, you get Dupes, which give you the power to get that Customization you want.
Gems only being able to buy Heroes and Featured Items means that Joe User hasn't been able to drop five bucks to buy the Skin, Mount, Announcer, Spray, Banner, or Voice Line that he wanted whenever he felt like it, so instead he used Shards and Blizzard generated zero revenue. If Gems were able to buy anything at any time from the beginning, they wouldn't be having these issues.

Kith fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 7, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tbh I have no problem with cosmetics being paywalled, especially when so many cosmetics are already free. It's confusing to keep track of but eh.

If I'm going to spend money on silly stuff in the game I'd rather it not be on loot boxes, a business model that I hope becomes illegal.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Some cosmetics being paywalled aggressively fucks up the Loot Box mindset, too. The point of Loot Boxes is to encourage the user to gamble with boxes, but if the thing that they want isn't in a box, then they're not going to bother gambling in the first place.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

HotS has always had a lovely monetization setup and I wish they would just straight up copy things from Smite and offer every cosmetic for at least some amount of gems (keep the shards system though, that's fine) and offer a $30 pack that unlocks all heroes and all future heroes.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
If I don't play Valla or Varian I lose in HL.. It is quite sad and I don't know what to do...

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Blizzard make pretty good video games, they should try selling those to people instead, that's worked pretty well for them in the past. When it comes to cosmetics and stuff they're pretty bad at it honestly, there's not much there I'd be interested in paying for if I wasn't looking for an excuse to support the game. Haven't spent a dime since they started making me jump through hoops.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

What are you playing besides valla and varian? It might just be that what you are picking isn't good right now, or easily countered

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Skins exclusive to real-money-spenders: good
Skins in bundles to save buying in bulk: good
Skins ONLY in bundles to charge more than single-skin price even if you only want one goddamned tint: bad (and probably counterproductive for revenues vs. selling piecemeal)

Unrelated: another Travis McGeathy (Lead Game Designer) interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp64GvDzt-A

Not too much new here. Highlights:
  • Alexstrasza body shape: it's all about making heroes identifiable in the melee, yo.
  • Role system: 7 roles instead of 4. Tanks vs Bruisers, "True supports" vs. half-supports, not finalized so not releasing names of all 7.
  • No plans to make MMR visible. The goal is not to climb, the goal is to have evenly-matched games.
  • Aba and Zag effectiveness don't seem to be too nerfed by ammo changes, but they'll keep an eye on them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kerrrrrrr posted:

HotS has always had a lovely monetization setup and I wish they would just straight up copy things from Smite and offer every cosmetic for at least some amount of gems (keep the shards system though, that's fine) and offer a $30 pack that unlocks all heroes and all future heroes.

I wish shards were higher% of the value of the item off of a dupe, cause I don't have nearly enough to craft all the poo poo I want, particularly now that I'm saving for the Alarak announcer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

fyallm posted:

If I don't play Valla or Varian I lose in HL.. It is quite sad and I don't know what to do...
I bet you'd win if you played Sonya too

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 7, 2017

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

No Wave posted:

I bet you'd win if you played Sonya too

Possibly I have actually never played her. Let me look into her to maybe give me 3 heroes to play in order to win.. Actually Jaina as well, I can win with her.

fyallm fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 7, 2017

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I can't imagine a comp where Sonya doesn't at least come out neutral. Strong waveclear, mercing, self sustain. Fantastic damage/initiation depending on ult selection. WOTB lasts loving forever during sieges if you can keep autoing/landing spears which means she will melt a core/boss extremely fast.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

Alexstrasza body shape

I've seen this come up a lot, are there really people compl... oh what the gently caress this is the internet of course there is. :negative:

tangentially related: I had not seen the the master skin but it is actually dope:

Problem solved I guess. :toot:

Sassy Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 7, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

fyallm posted:

Possibly I have actually never played her. Let me look into her to maybe give me 3 heroes to play in order to win.. Actually Jaina as well, I can win with her.
I'm sure you can win with Nazeebo too but that's just dirty.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I mean, Alexstraza's body shape is pretty awful. Her wings seem too far back and her hind legs come out at an odd angle.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Toshimo posted:

I mean, Alexstraza's body shape is pretty awful. Her wings seem too far back and her hind legs come out at an odd angle.

I agree about the dragonform being weirdly shaped but the complaints I've seen were not related to that one... (see: video above)

edit: if that was :thejoke: then well played.

Sassy Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 7, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Malf is the character I play when I really want to win. I played against a Samuro last night and ended up with 76 seconds of root time across a 20 minute game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I agree about the dragonform being weirdly shaped but the complaints I've seen were not related to that one... (see: video above)

edit: if that was :thejoke: then well played.

just lol if you wouldn't gently caress sylvanus a dragon

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Toshimo posted:

just lol if you wouldn't gently caress sylvanus a dragon

But dragons only gently caress cars? At least that's what SA has taught me for all these years. Are you saying I've been living a lie?!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been taking the treant as Malfurion recently and I actually really like it. It hardly does any damage but it's nice as a disruptor.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kurieg posted:

I wish shards were higher% of the value of the item off of a dupe, cause I don't have nearly enough to craft all the poo poo I want, particularly now that I'm saving for the Alarak announcer.

yeah i agree. ive been saving up for a couple months now and i'm still only at ~1500

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

• Alexstrasza body shape: it's all about making heroes identifiable in the melee, yo.

attack the one with the bouncy bouncy

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

After reviewing extensive Blizzcon footage :siren: bug found: :siren: Hanzo for some reason is not manaless :v:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Ana and Lucio have mana. Granted, I've only run into problems as Ana.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

So does Genji.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

kurona_bright posted:

wut? Lucio chugs mana 100x harder than Ana.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Li Li's rework needs a rework to me.

I used to have three very different builds I could go and a million other options. I could go full supp build, Blinding Winds or Cloud Serpent. Now it just feels like a mishmash of talents that don't have any synergy thrown together.

It sucking fucks, it loving sucks, and I don't like it

Edit - Losing four target Blinding Winds at level four (and in general) sucks. Lightning Serpents attacks don't bounce to minions anymore, like was this really a necessary nerf? Were people hearthing to base to stop a Li Li with Lightning Serpent from taking a keep? It was some modicum of wave clear but still super slow.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 7, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've hated every rework recently (besides Jaina's). I have no idea why people look forward to them.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
Morales and Zul'jin reworks were both great. Zeratul's was also good. I don't remember really hating one either.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The only thing I like about the Zuljin changes is Amani Rage. Not a fan of perma-scaling.

I really disliked the Leoric rework, the Johanna rework, and I'm not into the Muradin rework either.

I'm not really a fan of energy-based healers as a mechanic and I don't like zero mana-cost abilities that I'm meant to spam as soon as they're off cooldown. We already had auriel for that idk, don't see why Morales had to go down that road.

Wasn't around for the Zeratul rework but I can say he's very well-implemented right now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

tangentially related: I had not seen the the master skin but it is actually dope:

Problem solved I guess. :toot:

All the different Aspect tints also have an appropriately-colored Dragonqueen form. For example, the Timeless Aspect skin:

It's a nice touch. The Star Queen skins have their own Dragonqueen looks as well.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nu-Lili to me seems like there are blatantly obvious choices at every tier:

Level 1's is Eager Adventurer because it provides total cooldown reduction, mana sustain, and more Movement Speed whereas the other two only provide cooldown reduction or sustain for individual skills.
Level 4's is Safety Sprint because it's a guaranteed activation of your now buffed Trait and Mounted Speed to get yourself out of trouble. Serpent Sidekick would be more attractive if it counted the Lightning Serpent bounce attacks, but it doesn't.
Level 7's is Let's Go, because Cleanse and a targeted heal with a cooldown that's managed by your Trait. I would care more about Lightning Serpent if it targeted non-heroes for general sustain stuff, but it doesn't.
Level 10 is almost always Jug.
Level 13 is Surging Winds. The extra blind duration from Gale Force would be useful, but Surging Winds has spellpower and cooldown reduction, making it overall more effective.
Level 16 is Blessings of Yu'lon. 1.5% Max Health per second is no joke when you slap it on a tank, especially a meaty one like Stitches.
Level 20, I honestly can't tell if Mistweaver or Double Jug is better. Depends on how much CC the enemy team has, I guess.

People more familiar with Lili are welcome to tell me I'm wrong and/or an idiot but after futzing around on the PTR with her in a couple matches I'm just not seeing the appeal of the other options.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I can't play Support or Tank in QM. I'm like 1-10 as Morales and 2-9 as Diablo. I know the common factor is me, but it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything wrong (at least on the Support front, I could probably learn to Warrior better) - just because I can't really carry a game on my own and have to rely on both the matchmaking giving a comp that works and teammates that aren't complete idiots. It's very frustrating.

At least my Assassin/Nazeebo game is >50%.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

MisterZimbu posted:

I can't play Support or Tank in QM. I'm like 1-10 as Morales and 2-9 as Diablo. I know the common factor is me, but it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything wrong (at least on the Support front, I could probably learn to Warrior better) - just because I can't really carry a game on my own and have to rely on both the matchmaking giving a comp that works and teammates that aren't complete idiots. It's very frustrating.

At least my Assassin/Nazeebo game is >50%.

Might be that specific heroes that trip you up. I am 50%+ win rate on tanks yet have like 25% win on etc after 20 games or so.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think there are a lot of players at my (low but not the absolute lowest) mmr who know nothing about soaking/when to merc/never go core but have much better micro/teamfight prioritization (often coming from other mobas).

If you're usually topping xp and getting the mercs pre-objective you're going to suffer a lot when you can't do that because you've lost your big advantage and you'll no longer be good enough for your mmr. Or it's just variance. Either way you could try some supports that can be a little more proactive than morales.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 7, 2017

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Try Malf for qm, he's a bit more versatile.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Or kharazim with new transcendence, you can poo poo out a ton of healing once you hit 16.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
With only 2 Aba AI games under my belt, I decided to try a QM with a friend to just get another quick loot chest, and of course I end up being out sole support against a Tass and with a team of suicidal players. :smithicide: Aba definitely is a lot more fun than I was expecting though. Are there specific strats for where I should be placing my body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pls tell me you went regenerative microbes

Also you want to be soaking wherever it seems likely someone else won't be soaking. Try seeing how aggressively you can position and whether you get punished for it in the early game, one early death with a global isn't a big deal and you won't learn otherwise.