Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Why put 20% down if you can get identical <3% interest rates for 10% down?

He technically said "can't" put 20% down, not "don't".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Couples using the proportional income method, how is inheritance handled?

WTF is even happening here?

The obvious answer is you dazzle your spouse with a big chunk of money so they don't notice the bigger chunk of money going into an investment account with only one name on it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Impending BWM from special guest /r/relationships:

Me [47 M] with my wife [45 F] 16 years married, her family asking us to go in on a joint investment. She wants to and I don't.

quote:

u/kangaloon
My Wife's brother is asking us to go in with other family members to buy her parents spare cottage on their property to give the parents some liquidity.

The bank loan will be in her and her siblings names (not the respective partners). As I am the main breadwinner I would have to service the joint loan for her.

I do not want to be told how to invest my money esp. when I have little spare after my own costs. We already have our own hefty mortgage and have 3 young children (15, 13, 11). I currently pay 85% of all our costs and she the remainder.

I am the only one out of ten siblings and respective partners who is baulking at this. They feel that there is money to be made by renting out the house on 'Air bnb'. My wife is furious with me that I never join in on her families joint ventures. There was once a race horse that they all purchased (except for me) - another story!

My Wife in her anger said to me that she needs to be involved in this as it is part of her inheritance. I pointed out that it didn't seem fair that I pay the loan and her name is on the investment. Come to think of it, our house is in her name and I pay the loan (security reasons), I pay for her car and it is in her name etc.

My wife really has no money sense and wants for nothing as I give her want she wants. But this seems to be a big ask. Family gatherings will be awkward if I am the only one not involved. My wife's brother, the instigator and eldest sibling (47 M), is seen as a bit of a 'hero' by her family so what he says goes! Kinda guy that orders the wine on behalf of others at a restaurant and you don't get a say!

Greatly appreciate some advice. I feel my choice is to say 'ok, Let's do this' or 'I am outer here, let's see how you handle things without me' - How do I handle this?

tl;dr: Wife's brother wants us to go in on an investment with her family. Investment will be in her name but as the bread winner I service the loan. She is in, I am not. Big problem.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I almost quoted a John Smith post. Sorry folks, glad I caught my mistake in time.

Here’s some actual BWM: brother bought a house with wife in spring. Spent 15k on new appliances. Spent however much on moving costs. Bought all kinds of new stuff for house.

Divorced 3 months later.

Sold house at a loss (paying 5% for the privilege), sold new appliances at a (huge) loss, had to get rid of stuff they didn’t have room for in their separate new accommodations. Luckily for him I guess most of the money was a gift from my mom. Because they bought a house.

Like, divorces happen, but what the gently caress. This was a “I’m not happy”, rather than a “you cheated on me” divorce. They knew it was coming. Don’t buy a house to fix your marital problems. I figure at least they didn’t have a kid.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Haifisch posted:

Impending BWM from special guest /r/relationships:

Me [47 M] with my wife [45 F] 16 years married, her family asking us to go in on a joint investment. She wants to and I don't.

Wow! I didn't expect to see a horse mention in this post at all.

I suppose a cheap way to get content for this thread might be to continually filter or search /r/relationships for horse.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Jordan7hm posted:

I almost quoted a John Smith post. Sorry folks, glad I caught my mistake in time.

Here’s some actual BWM: brother bought a house with wife in spring. Spent 15k on new appliances. Spent however much on moving costs. Bought all kinds of new stuff for house.

Divorced 3 months later.

Sold house at a loss (paying 5% for the privilege), sold new appliances at a (huge) loss, had to get rid of stuff they didn’t have room for in their separate new accommodations. Luckily for him I guess most of the money was a gift from my mom. Because they bought a house.

Like, divorces happen, but what the gently caress. This was a “I’m not happy”, rather than a “you cheated on me” divorce. They knew it was coming. Don’t buy a house to fix your marital problems. I figure at least they didn’t have a kid.
It's baffling what people think will fix a marriage.

Talking & counseling are too hard, let's just throw some new joint responsibilities on the pile and hope that magically makes it work out. :downs:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Panfilo posted:

A lot of what it takes to be a homeowner here tends to involve taking a lot more risk than in other areas, presumably BWM stuff like having to deal with PMI or piggyback loans to offset it, but the problem is if you like living here rent isn't any better in terms of steadily going up. Pay is higher, but not relative to living expenses. But there are other hidden benefits.

My brother (the one that almost got a really sweet deal on a house) lives in a much cheaper part of California than I do. The flip side is that nobody willing to actually help out with child care lives near him, and what he pays for daycare for one of his kids he could be putting her up in a pretty nice 1BRM apartment out there :eyepop: . So while their own rent is cheaper, the fact that they live so far from the rest of their extended family kind of nullifies the benefits.

Conversely, my wife's family lives in the Bay Area but many of them are immigrants that came here within the last 10-20 years. Most of them work blue collar jobs, not tech jobs but because they chose to stick close together they were able to benefit from mutual support much like many other ethnic enclaves did in San Francisco, New York, etc. If one family member has a financial crisis, there are many other relatives nearby able to help absorb some of the cost in terms of either loans, time, or simply a place to crash until they get back on their feet.

Rent here is awful but it has actually leveled off circa 2016 whereas home prices keep going up, up, up.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

It's baffling what people think will fix a marriage.

Talking & counseling are too hard, let's just throw some new joint responsibilities on the pile and hope that magically makes it work out. :downs:

This has always baffled me. Relationship stressful? Just add some more stress and unresolved conflict rather than address the real problems.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Why put 20% down if you can get identical <3% interest rates for 10% down?

Accumulating the down payment is a good test to ensure that you're financially secure enough - and responsible enough to undertake the massive pain in the balls that buying a house involves.

Despite what you may think about how prices will never go down, or jobs in your industry are always going to be in demand, having significant equity in your house is a very good hedge against downturns in the job/market/economy. If (when) the tech industry blows up again, instead of being trapped in your house, you might still be able to come out of things without being in significant financial peril.

It's a good way to not get sucked into spending more on the house than you can actually afford.

Nobody says you can't invest the money you are saving for a down payment. Hell if you really want to own real estate while you save, buy REITs (terrible idea).

Renting also gives you a massive amount of flexibility. If you don't want to have some horrible commute for a new job, you move with much less cost to relocation. So many good reasons to not own a house...

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

It's a good way to not get sucked into spending more on the house than you can actually afford.

Nobody says you can't invest the money you are saving for a down payment. Hell if you really want to own real estate while you save, buy REITs (terrible idea).

Renting also gives you a massive amount of flexibility. If you don't want to have some horrible commute for a new job, you move with much less cost to relocation. So many good reasons to not own a house...

Many high priced areas have proportionately low rents (still a lot of money though). In Auckland, NZ the rental yields are 2% or less as the rents are what the market will pay. The house/apartment prices are all elevated due to foreign and local speculators. Right now prices are falling and they're likely to fall for all of 2018. The fall is primarily tightened monetary conditions and banks becoming aware that they've been lending to people that they shouldn't have. On a local site I've been pushing 20% deposit and no more than 33% of gross income. The same site lists 40% as affordable but whatever. The 33% is all about being able to cope with interest rate increases, yet many people are on 50%+ in NZ and Australia.

I'm expecting a lot of amateur speculators to get burnt and end up in a mortgagee sale. High incomes or not there's going to be a lot of people wrecking their net worth on speculation instead of buying race car parts.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Guys next to me talking about speculating on stocks and crypto currencies.

“Bitcoin is based on nothing. It’s air”

“Yeah but so is money”

I’m sold.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Guys next to me talking about speculating on stocks and crypto currencies.

“Bitcoin is based on nothing. It’s air”

“Yeah but so is money”

I’m sold.

Show him this article

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/with-deletion-of-one-wallet-280-m-in-ethereum-wallets-gets-frozen/

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"Imagine 5 blocks on the edge of a chain. Zycoin works the same way."

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I'm probably going to need to call a doctor in about 3 hours.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I'm probably going to need to call a doctor in about 3 hours.

I'm waiting for the hilarious fall out. I'll probably need a doctor to sew my split sides back together too.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You know, things like this:

quote:

Multi-signature wallets have cryptographic security measures that require multiple users to sign a transaction in order for it to be processed and approved—an approach that allows for escrow contracts to control payments from accounts belonging to a group.

are really interesting and cool. I think the idea that cryptocurrencies could be mainstream and central to the economy (or at least parts of it) in the future (whether it's 5 years or 50) isn't very farfetched. Being digital, you have a lot of flexibility in the things you can do, like the above, that could prevent a lot of potential problems, like a joint husband/wife bank account, as a very basic example.

But for now, you know, stupid things like this happen and it's pretty clear the technology (or experience at implementation) just isn't good enough.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

totalnewbie posted:

You know, things like this:

are really interesting and cool. I think the idea that cryptocurrencies could be mainstream and central to the economy (or at least parts of it) in the future (whether it's 5 years or 50) isn't very farfetched. Being digital, you have a lot of flexibility in the things you can do, like the above, that could prevent a lot of potential problems, like a joint husband/wife bank account, as a very basic example.

But for now, you know, stupid things like this happen and it's pretty clear the technology (or experience at implementation) just isn't good enough.

trustlessness means untrustworthiness

either digital currency will have great big honks of trust in them (making them indistinguishable from Visa and poo poo) or Visa and poo poo will continue being the electronic currency thing of choice

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
to be fair that's not bitcoin, the code for eth is entirely different. i think eth is not even really a decentralized tech since there's a big company that manages the main client and can hard fork the blockchain whenever they want.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hoodwinker posted:

"Imagine 5 blocks on the edge of a chain. Zycoin works the same way."

Please, Sam, he had a MTGOX wallet.
*takes draw off cigar, blows a cloud of smoke that makes the Bitcoin symbol*

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

crazysim posted:

I suppose a cheap way to get content for this thread might be to continually filter or search /r/relationships for horse.
Sadly a lot of the horse stories in /r/relationships are just about crazy horse people being crazy, but some do still involve money:

Me [40'sF] with my parents (80's M/F] and their horses. Driving me nuts

quote:

So my parents like horse racing. They have done pretty well for themselves financially and my dad in particular has thrown himself deep into breeding and racing them. It's more than a hobby it is turning into an outright obsession.

As they have got older I have had to take over more responsibility for their day to day lives to allow them to be as independent as possible. This includes doing their accounts and taxes so I know exactly how much money is going out and to whom. Most of it is going on an ever increasing collection of racehorses. Some months it is more than an average person would make in a year. I think it is an absurd waste of money but it is theirs to do what they want with so I just pay the bills and move money around to cover it all.

Dad is 83 and not in the best of health. 2 days ago he wanted something printed and it was a pregnancy confirmation cert for yet another bloody horse. They have 3 at their farm. 3 leased out 3 in foal and 4 in training. To me this is a stupid number of horses for just a hobby. I have asked him to write down a succession plan of exactly what to do with them if anything happens to him and he just ignores me. I know nothing about horses. I can ride them but this is not an industry I want to have anything to do with. Over the years I have grown to hate it and I am deeply mistrustful of the motivations of the people in it. I hate gambling and no one can give me a straight answer to what happens to the horses that don't 'make it.' Not that I need it. I know already. I love animals but I am seriously starting to hate these horses.

Compounding this I am now the go to person for all of their 'stuff'. I have a responsibility to my brother, lawyers, accountants, tenants, IRD etc to ensure the money is used responsibly and they are well cared for. I can't dictate what they use their money on and nor would I but it like watching a drug addict and you are the one who has to buy the drugs to let them gently caress up their lives.

When something does happen to him I am the one left holding the baby. I will have to sell all of them and I know I am going to get totally ripped off. These are valuable animals and if I gently caress it up then I am going to have poo poo raining down on me from all sides. The taxes alone with be ruinous. I trust absolutely no one in the industry to give me advice on this because I know they will be working in their own self interest and who could blame them. It is like a pit of vipers. I get on well with their trainer and he is a top bloke but he couldn't offer anywhere near the support I would need as he is so busy doing his actual job. I have asked Dad to scale it back to a manageable level but he doesn't want to miss out on the next big thing. He also seems to think I am going to carry this on for him even though he knows I think it is absurd and find it hugely stressful. One of the horses at their farm is literally psychotic. I know TB's are highly strung but this one is another level of mental. She is Christian Bale with 4 legs and a ginger coat instead of a plastic one.

I've tried rational plans to scale it back. No. I've tried asking for a succession plan and it gets met with huge resistance because he wants to continue on his jolly lark. It's like he has this fantasy of being the next Bart Cummings. My only options now are to talk to their lawyer and accountant and they would see that as a huge breach of trust. I have an EPO (health and financial) but I am so deep in it I don't know if I am the ones taking crazy pills or if they actually have onset dementia.

TL/DR Elderly parents (mainly Dad) have a stupidly expensive 'hobby' in an industry I loathe and refuse to scale it back.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I thought 5 digit pedal bikes that maybe get used twice a year or so were dumb but wow horses are on entirely new different level.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ethereum is utterly baffling to me on a fundamental level, it is an unsolvable riddle of the cosmos that it was even made.

Anyone with enough programming knowledge to actually implement it would also have enough programming knowledge to understand that while machines may be logically perfect your code will never be and thus why it's a terrible idea to design a system around code that is not allowed to be changed. Ethereum cannot exist, its conditions of creation contain the seeds of its own destruction, the knowledge necessary for one to make it demonstrates why one shouldn't. Its existence is impossible and yet, here it is.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jordan7hm posted:

Self-awareness is important in a man. It is fine-ish that you hold extreme values, but denial isn't doing you any good. I am sure that Trump similarly imagines himself to be just a run-of-the-mill perfectly ordinary politician despite the evidence to the contrary.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Ethereum is utterly baffling to me on a fundamental level, it is an unsolvable riddle of the cosmos that it was even made.

Anyone with enough programming knowledge to actually implement it would also have enough programming knowledge to understand that while machines may be logically perfect your code will never be and thus why it's a terrible idea to design a system around code that is not allowed to be changed. Ethereum cannot exist, its conditions of creation contain the seeds of its own destruction, the knowledge necessary for one to make it demonstrates why one shouldn't. Its existence is impossible and yet, here it is.
You mean like the part where the recursive call bug led to $50m worth of Ethereum being stolen because the code couldn't be changed and then they rolled back their supposedly immutable code anyway and split into Ethereum and Ethereum Classic?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Hubris is a powerful motivator. Also the potential for huge upside in swindling early to medium adopters.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Hubris is a powerful motivator. Also the potential for huge upside in swindling early to medium adopters.
Ponzi scheme, the phrase you're looking for is Ponzi scheme.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

quote:

I have had to take over more responsibility for their day to day lives to allow them to be as independent as possible.

This does not make sense at all unless you substitute some other meaning for what "independent" actually means.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Independent from fiscal responsibility?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hoodwinker posted:

Ponzi scheme, the phrase you're looking for is Ponzi scheme.

Words have meanings and Ethereum isn't a Ponzi scheme, just a fantastic tool and vehicle for running them.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Words have meanings and Ethereum isn't a Ponzi scheme, just a fantastic tool and vehicle for running them.
I misread anyway. If he had said it had a chance to swindle later adopters, that would have been more accurately a Ponzi scheme.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/7bkgfm/a_third_of_all_men_aged_2034_are_still_living/dpis7y4/

quote:

28 and moving out next month. Moving into a quaint little 2 bed with parking, for the bargain price of £1,095pcm.
I could save about £400 a month if I didn't get one with parking, but I need the car for my job role.
I could save maybe £300 if I went for on-street parking requiring a permit from the council, but I've known some people to move into such places, only to find the apartment building they're in has used up their quota for parking permits, so they can't actually get one.
Over the last 3-4 months of hunting, I've found a couple of one bed flats with everything I need, but they seem to get snapped up before I can even arrange a viewing. And they're rarely more than £250 cheaper than this two bed.
And I've also found houses on the other side of the city for as much or less than the flat I'm moving into, with private parking, gardens, and all that jazz. But that would add up to 30 minutes to my commute every day, plus I'll be paying to heat the whole bloody thing.
So £1,100 for a 2 bed with parking it is.
Oh. Did I mention I had to pay £250 to reserve the flat while the agency processes the paperwork? And a further £450 for agency fees?
Oh. And because my income is not FIVE TIMES the rent, and because I'm not on named my current tenancy agreement (because I live with family) so the agency cannot get a landlord's reference, I've got to pay TWELVE MONTHS RENT IN ADVANCE. I'm expecting an invoice for £13,200 to land in my email in the next 48 hours. Some agencies have said they'll require six months rent in advance for this, so it wasn't like I wasn't expecting to have to pay a large sum in advance. But still ... it came as a shock :'(
Oh. And then there's the deposit of a further £1,100.
Why, oh why, oh why would choose to leave an arrangement that costs me £400pcm in rent, £50pcm in council tax, and the odd contribution towards the food bills, instead choosing to pay £15,000 in the space of a week to move into my own, personal, rented accommodation? My own, personal, rented accommodation, for which I will be responsible for paying all the bills, all the council tax (£975pa), for all my food?
What in my right mind would compel me to make such a decision?
FML.
Did I mention this new place has fiber?

Gotta get that fiber internet guys.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Buy fewer candles.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
At least everyone in the comments is telling him this is a terrible idea.

...and I regret going to read comments in the wider thread, because reddit naturally turned it into a discussion of :females: and whether or not it's really that weird to live with your parents in your late 20s.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Living with parents can be a GWM move but I've seen far too many examples of people that act more like lovely roommates living rent free than using the opportunity to do something constructive.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Haifisch posted:

At least everyone in the comments is telling him this is a terrible idea.

...and I regret going to read comments in the wider thread, because reddit naturally turned it into a discussion of :females: and whether or not it's really that weird to live with your parents in your late 20s.

quote:

Precisely. Many people completely ignore the fact that marrying an established older man is actually a legitimate life option for many women. Men simply don't have that option - it's work, provide (for yourself, or for your spouse), or go gently caress yourself. Women don't have that same pressure (which is part of the reason why male suicide rates are so high). They can always hit the eject button and choose the easy way out (i.e. living off a man's income), while men are left to fend for themselves and abandoned if they fail to perform.

:biotruths:

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Dear Prudence is a goldmine of bad decisions:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2017/11/dear_prudence_help_how_do_i_know_if_i_m_bad_at_sex.html

quote:

Q. College: My husband is 20 years older than me and we have a 6-year-old daughter together. My stepchildren are all married and had children at very young ages—the grandchildren are older than my daughter. My relationship with my stepchildren has mostly been civil and respectable as I came into their lives when they were adults. At a recent family gathering, the topic of the cost of college came up and my stepdaughter (mother of five) blithely said she didn’t have to worry because “Daddy would take care of it.” My husband paid for all his children’s college and a few of their graduate schools but doesn’t make nearly as much as he used to. He will be looking at retirement in a few years and most of our income is going to come from me. I am not worried about providing for our daughter—but one girl is not the same as 10 grandchildren.

There are saving bonds for the grandchildren and that is it, at least on our end. I told my stepdaughter that. Things got ugly—she accused me of stealing and hiding the money. When my husband told her, no, he never had plans to pay for college and never told her he would, everything exploded. Many awful things were said and half were directed at me.

It came out that my stepdaughter and one of her brothers never saved a penny for their children’s education and are now panicking. They have said they aren’t coming over for the holidays because of it and posted an ugly accusation on Facebook.

I am terrified they are going to poison the grandchildren against us. My husband is upset, hurt, and disappointed—he is only speaking with two of his children now. The holidays are ruined. Part of me wonders if this is my fault and if it could have been avoided. I told the truth to my stepchildren and it has blown up. Should I do anything? Is there anything I could have done?

I hope she outlives her husband, inherits everything, and then disinherits that stepdaughter.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Good on the husband for backing her up, and no need to blame yourself for saying something because it was going to come up eventually.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
People who plan to rely on grandparents to pay for their children's education - without a clear offering along these lines - are scum and are the reason wealth often doesn't last 2 generations. The Millionaire Next Door calls this "Financial Life Support."

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
There are plenty of men that are dependent on their wives as sole bread-winners. This is just dumb misogynistic reddit poo poo manufactured out of a sense of victimization and a sheltered, ignorant understanding of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Lol yep my friend's in-laws pay his rent because their daughter married a fragile little man who literally told me that effort feels like "being zapped by an electric shock," and in science experiments the rat learns to stay away so

This conversation just happened two hours ago and my blood pressure is through the roof, I'm speechless and am giving up on offering any type of advice or helping hand

His wife just got her first job in her field making a slim 30k, at least she can help her parents in supporting the embarrassment of a human that my once competent friend has morphed into

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 8, 2017