Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

That was a very good episode.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

When all you've got is rocks and rain, you make do. Very nice episode indeed. :golfclap:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I want to know, have you ever seen the rain~

Also, remember those bits in the Metro games where you walk through long-dead apartment buildings and get flashbacks to the lives of their former residents? The first bit of this episode was pretty much just that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
oh my god that rain :swoon:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Show continues to be loving great. More, more, more post-apocalyptic homeless Hidamari Sketch please. I cannot get enough.

Edit: Feels slightly weird to link my own twitter, but I had some rambling thoughts about this show that I put in a twitter thread before I thought to put them here.

https://twitter.com/SpiritusNoxSA/status/926519244824727554

Also if you like this show and haven't seen Sound Of The Sky/Sora No Woto, you should definitely get on that some time.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 3, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Aah I've been looking forward to this chapter. Good rain good house good giant fish yuu

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Knorth posted:

Aah I've been looking forward to this chapter. Good rain good house good giant fish yuu
Me too. When I read the manga I knew I had to hear this story.

It was good.

When they wondered if this was what music was like... :unsmith:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also if you like this show and haven't seen Sound Of The Sky/Sora No Woto, you should definitely get on that some time.
Is it as... contemplative/beautiful as this? It seems like being part of a military group would be way less chill than something like this.

Plus I'm not so much into the cute girls doing stuff genre so much as as the beautiful desolation part.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Eiba posted:

Is it as... contemplative/beautiful as this? It seems like being part of a military group would be way less chill than something like this.

Plus I'm not so much into the cute girls doing stuff genre so much as as the beautiful desolation part.

Nah, that show kinda sucked.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Yuu's neck was impossibly long in that last shot

OK maybe not impossibly long but it looked pretty dang long

The ED was nice but I still missed the usual one so I watched it again on youtube afterwards

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 4, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eiba posted:

In spots. The desolation isn't nearly as pervasive or immediate as it is here - the five heroines are stationed in a reasonably lively town, after all. But there's still a whole lot of melancholy and a lurking sense that the world is slowly dying, and it gets stronger as it goes. It definitely gets louder and sillier than this is likely to ever get, but that's by design and it works really well IMO. Its first episode is one of its best and pretty representative of most of what it's going for, and it's on Crunchy, so it'll be easy to check out if you're ever interested.

AnacondaHL posted:

Nah, that show kinda sucked.

I will destroy you

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
What sucks is you comparing this to K-On instead of the vastly superior Azumanga Daioh.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh god for some reason the first segment hit me like a truck, I started crying on the part with the sounds of (imaginary) life around them. I'm not even sure why, goddamn.

Yuu's puns are adorable. :kimchi:

Rock Jenga is hardcore as hell. Yuu sure knows how to play Chii.

Chii's dreams are some trippy poo poo.

That rain sounds so nice. The girls look less young without all the bulky clothing. Is it me or Yuu's actually fairly tall?

That ending was perfect. The sound design is so good.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 4, 2017

fairlight
May 18, 2007

I liked that ep a lot too. Fish Yuu was good. The last bit was really incredible -- whoever did the foley andsound design probably had a blast. Worth noting that traditional Japanese gardens often have water chimes called suikinkutsu, a kind of ornament/instrument that makes resonant sound from dripping water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcrxaS0iCv8

e: an ambient artist I like a lot made an album of suikinkutsu field recordings a couple years back, I like to listen to it while I work sometimes
https://lawrenceenglish.bandcamp.com/album/suikinkutsu-no-katawara-ni

fairlight fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 4, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

What sucks is you comparing this to K-On instead of the vastly superior Azumanga Daioh.

I was comparing this to Sound Of The Sky and Hidamari Sketch, actually. I was comparing Sound Of The Sky to K-On. :v:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Kyte posted:

Oh god for some reason the first segment hit me like a truck, I started crying on the part with the sounds of (imaginary) life around them. I'm not even sure why, goddamn.

It made you look at your own stuff in a different way.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kyte posted:

This show does this to me a lot.

It does a good job at being tragic without ever being grim or ever losing its positive tone. It's the contrast that does it for me I think. When you realize these cute girls talking about silly fantasies actually just want to live a normal life in our world, the sadness hits harder for me because there was no negativity at any point. It's a gentle sadness.

See also the feeling you get during the beautiful scene with all the sounds of dripping water when Chi wonders if this is what music was like.

fairlight posted:

I liked that ep a lot too. Fish Yuu was good. The last bit was really incredible -- whoever did the foley andsound design probably had a blast. Worth noting that traditional Japanese gardens often have water chimes called suikinkutsu, a kind of ornament/instrument that makes resonant sound from dripping water.
Cool! I didn't know about that, suikinkutsu are really neat!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A bit I really liked about that first segment is that even their idealized dream-house furniture still looks a little run-down and junky because Chi and Yuu don't have any frame of reference for anything better.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This show and Konohana Kitan are really helping me come down from the intensity of last season's Made in Abyss and Princess Principal.

It might have my favorite OP for the season, too.

Eiba posted:

It does a good job at being tragic without ever being grim or ever losing its positive tone. It's the contrast that does it for me I think. When you realize these cute girls talking about silly fantasies actually just want to live a normal life in our world, the sadness hits harder for me because there was no negativity at any point. It's a gentle sadness.

"Gentle sadness" is a good way of putting it. The melancholic setting and the serenity of the two characters work well together.

The part that got to me was when they saw that their rations were cheese-flavored and neither of them knew what cheese is or what it tastes like. Like the furniture they were imagining, it's such a relatively simple thing and easy to take for granted.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Yeah I'm concerned for her now. :ohdear:

Gallows humor.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

an actual dog posted:

It made you look at your own stuff in a different way.

Indeed. I'm towards the end of a cross-country move, and I'm sitting here in my new room in a different climate, which is cold, and I'm looking at the boxes of my stuff piled up around, waiting to be opened. Stuff that seems so useless compared to a bed, a bookshelf, and a pantry.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

fairlight posted:

e: an ambient artist I like a lot made an album of suikinkutsu field recordings a couple years back, I like to listen to it while I work sometimes
https://lawrenceenglish.bandcamp.com/album/suikinkutsu-no-katawara-ni

This is good stuff

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/tkmiz/status/927937713839398913

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Take it easy.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
https://twitter.com/girls_last_tour/status/921211424545763328

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNOCm0PBYCQ
I can't wait to get singing potatoes.

E: I just realized the 2nd song in the ED single is the rain song. I wonder if that implies we'll hear the 2nd song in the OP single as an insert at some point.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 8, 2017

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Guys what if Kadokawa kills this like they did Kemono Friends :ohdear:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i-i don't follow

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Kadokawa has made hundreds of anime where they didn't gently caress it up lol. KF was an outlier.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
That Kemono fuckup was the first time I was ever even aware of Kadokawa, so whenever I see their logo on a new show I'm :ohdear:
I trust this show's gonna be fine though, that was just a really weird case

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Kadokawa is involved in a shitton of anime and indirectly involved in even more, since it controls many of the major novel, manga and videogame publishing houses. KF is a single exception in a sea of products.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kyte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNOCm0PBYCQ
I can't wait to get singing potatoes.

E: I just realized the 2nd song in the ED single is the rain song. I wonder if that implies we'll hear the 2nd song in the OP single as an insert at some point.

Thanks to YouTube's algorithm, these popped up in my recommendations from there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OApqZ_nkko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUFTt9jkzgM

Music included, this has quickly become one of my favorite animes. I'm waiting until after it ends, but I'm looking forward to reading the manga too.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

The OPs and EDs are really good. that's all folks

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Episode six was kind of a downer but I loved it anyway. Kind of got some faint vibes of The Wind Rises, and that's no bad thing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, it was still a good episode, but maybe leaned a biiiiit too far on the slowness and depressiveness compared to my favorites so far.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think tha might be my favorite so far because it seemed to perfectly represent what the show is about: finding reasons to smile in the face of absolution.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
At first I didn't quite like Yuu, what with the book burning and stuff, but her cheerful hopelessness is starting to grow on me.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I can definitely relate to the relief in a circumstance where you realize there are no options left. Sometimes you feel a driving pressure to take whatever action you can about some situation, and when that disappears, it can feel like a huge burden is being lifted.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I thought episode 06 was really, really good. The realization that they were about to record and witness the last attempted flight in human history hit me hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Also, during the part where they were introducing themselves, did Yuu start to do the fusion dance?

• Locked thread