Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou/Girls' Last Tour is slice of life manga/anime series about two girls traveling through the ruins of a vast, Nihei-esque city that has been abandoned due to some unknown apocalyptic conflict. The manga has been licensed by Yen Press with two volumes currently released in English, while the anime adaption begins airing October 6th and has been licensed by Sentai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuVVs4giZrI

Yen Press posted:

Civilization is dead, but Chito and Yuuri are still alive. So they hop aboard their beloved Kettenkrad motorbike and aimlessly wander the ruins of the world they once knew. Day after hopeless day, they look for their next meal and fuel for their ride. But as long as the two are together, even an existence as bleak as theirs has a ray or two of sunshine in it, whether they're sucking down their fill of soup or hunting for machine parts to tinker with. For two girls in a world full of nothing, the experiences and feelings the two share give them something to live for...

Our wide-faced heroes/hoboes:

Chito

The more serious thinker of the pair.

Yuuri

The more carefree one of the pair.

Kettenkrad

A half-track ATV-precursor produced in Germany during WWII. Originally intended as a prime mover for airborne troops to tow artillery with, it ended up being used in many other roles due to it's ability to go where other wheeled support vehicles couldn't. Steering is done with the forward wheel, and after turning the wheel a certain amount it engages the track brakes for skid steering, it can also be driven without the front wheel mounted. It features a Opel 1.4L inline four cylinder car engine delivering 36 horsepower, can climb a slope of up to 25 degrees, tow up to 1.5 tons and potentially reach a top speed of 70km/h (45 mph) with a maximum range of around 200km on-road or 100km off-road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I know nothing of the manga, so the new anime should be a treat. Looking forward to it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I really enjoyed read the manga, so much so that I bought the released volumes so I'm looking forward to this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did this get licensed by anyone yet?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Did this get licensed by anyone yet?

sentai its on amazon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Julias posted:

I know nothing of the manga, so the new anime should be a treat. Looking forward to it.

Me too, I like the concept and the art. And the kettenkrad

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Anybody got a link to the Amazon page? Because I can't find anything but the manga under either "Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou" or "Girls' Last Tour" :sigh:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Anybody got a link to the Amazon page? Because I can't find anything but the manga under either "Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou" or "Girls' Last Tour" :sigh:

its not listed in their exclusives page yet so they havent made a page for it. i dont know if it will appear before when they put up the first episode but it is definitely licensed to them

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

:nignog::nignog:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh wow there's a thread for this.

I was talking with friends about how I kind of don't really like anime anymore. Haven't watched anything really in the past few years. Just for fun we looked up what was airing this season and after making fun of a few descriptions we got to this.

I immediately read the manga.

I love anime.

Specifically things like this, Kino's Journey, Mushishi, the manga Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. What else is out there in this vein? Atmospheric slow stories about beauty in a bleak world. I can't get enough of this stuff.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Eiba posted:

Oh wow there's a thread for this.

I was talking with friends about how I kind of don't really like anime anymore. Haven't watched anything really in the past few years. Just for fun we looked up what was airing this season and after making fun of a few descriptions we got to this.

I immediately read the manga.

I love anime.

Specifically things like this, Kino's Journey, Mushishi, the manga Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. What else is out there in this vein? Atmospheric slow stories about beauty in a bleak world. I can't get enough of this stuff.

Maybe Sound of the Sky, or Sunday Without God?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's not really bleak (although neither is Mushishi), but if you can somehow track down Windy Tales that might hit the right spots.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
good first ep

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i really enjoyed that first episode and it was pretty effective at world building in an intriguing manner. the atmosphere was really well done. also holy poo poo that scene when yuuri casually mugs chi for the chocolate

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

i really enjoyed that first episode and it was pretty effective at world building in an intriguing manner. the atmosphere was really well done. also holy poo poo that scene when yuuri casually mugs chi for the chocolate

It doesn't come out of nowhere and the music does a good job of upping the tension before calming down. I read the manga too and I was legit scared for a sec because there's always the possibility of the anime diverging from the manga in unexpected ways.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Oooo, I think I'm going to like this one. In a couple of places they used interesting animation or angle choices, probably to compensate for the muted colors everywhere. I'll be curious to see if their world stays so muted.

I, perhaps obviously, haven't read the manga, so for us unenlightened ones I beg for putting manga info in spoilers at least.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

jng2058 posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/det...5&pf_rd_t=12806

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Beato Believer posted:

In a couple of places they used interesting animation or angle choices, probably to compensate for the muted colors everywhere. I'll be curious to see if their world stays so muted.

I'm willing to give the director plenty of credit for any interesting visuals because his Twitter animations are an absolute trip, he has such a cool style and I'm praying it'll start showing in later episodes.
https://twitter.com/tkmiz/status/664168475087126529

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Tsukumizu is the series author not the director but yeah, they're good

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Squishy faced moe girls drive through a Tsutomu Nihei-esque version of The Road? Well huh.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Awesome, thanks! :tipshat:

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Knorth posted:

Ah thanks for clarifying.

Looks like this series will have a short side story being broadcast with every episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3pTAiFrYhI

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Interesting mix of :wtc: and :3:.

Sure, I'm in.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I loving love this manga. Gimme post-apocalyptic widefaces in motion.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Good first episode. I am glad the girls will not be dying of starvation this week, nor be trapped in an endless industrial underground.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
a nice introduction. i had an "already?" moment when the end credits started to appear.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Watching this reminded me a bit of The Long Dark, a video game about surviving in the Canadian wilderness during winter after a global catastrophe, and thought of how amusing it would be to replace most of the loot with guns and ammo, but removed all of the wild animals.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm going to give this one a shot.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://twitter.com/nara_kappa/status/917621961085173760

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Knorth posted:

Some of her older art is a bit worrying,

https://twitter.com/tkmiz/status/789647066049880064

https://twitter.com/tkmiz/status/761860395850080257

but there's not too much of it, especially recently.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh no. I was super interested when I read the description in the season thread, then a little disappointed when I found out I'd have to pick up Anime Strike to watch it. But the more I saw the less I could resist, and now that I've watched the first episode it seems like it's going to be worth the $5. I suppose that now I have it, may as well see if there's anything else worth checking out on it that isn't on VRV...

Onean fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 10, 2017

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Onean posted:

Oh no. I was super interested when I read the description in the season thread, then a little disappointed when I found out I'd have to pick up Anime Strike to watch it. But the more I saw the less I could resist, and now that I've watched the first episode it seems like it's going to be worth the $5. I suppose that now I have it, may as well see if there's anything else worth checking out on it that isn't on VRV...

You can just download it instead of paying Jeff Bezos more money

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I would pay Bezos $5 a month for just Made in Abyss

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No really why did the entire world die around the Yuyushikis? (And they're missing one.)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The sane ones are always the first to go.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Onean posted:

Princess Principal was fun.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I would pay Bezos $5 a month for just Made in Abyss

this is loving dumb because he did nothing aside from shut it away from a wider audience

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

this is loving dumb because he did nothing aside from shut it away from a wider audience

I said that partly as a joke, but I am honestly ok with it.

They had a decent offering between some pretty great catalog titles along with new shows such as Made In Abyss, Virgin Soul, and some great new shows. Also, what most likely happened in the background is that they compartmentalized the team managing the anime stuff. That's a good thing since they can do a much better job of getting content than if they were lost within the probably monolithic Amazon Video teams.

If that turns out not to be the case and their showing is poo poo then maybe I'll cancel my sub. But for now, I personally am ok with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Some of her older art is a bit worrying,

https://twitter.com/tkmiz/status/789647066049880064

https://twitter.com/tkmiz/status/761860395850080257

but there's not too much of it, especially recently.

Yeah I'm concerned for her now. :ohdear:

• Locked thread