Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Uh, holy poo poo. That is a ton of changes. This is amazing and I am happily pulling the trigger on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The Cross routine bug was fixed, excellent.

...I think I see why the contracts mode is disabled for the new missions.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is there a good guide (preferably not a “Hi Guys welcome back it’s ...” YouTube video) for the elusive targets? Do they disappear forever if I mess up?

I’m always stressed out at time sensitive things and this doubly so since the whole “failed = can’t do it again” which I’m not sure I understand what it means to fail on those missions.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pigbuster posted:

I wonder if the new missions will have the maps permanently change over time somehow, rather then just having everything and everyone go in a loop.
Yeah, the fact that these missions aren't available for contracts would indicate that they're experimenting with how missions are set up, which is interesting.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Is there a good guide (preferably not a “Hi Guys welcome back it’s ...” YouTube video) for the elusive targets? Do they disappear forever if I mess up?

I’m always stressed out at time sensitive things and this doubly so since the whole “failed = can’t do it again” which I’m not sure I understand what it means to fail on those missions.
Basically, you get locked-in if you either die or your complete an objective. Dying you just fail outright, while completing an objective means you can't restart in case you get spotted or otherwise ruin your SA rating. And of course being spotted might mean you aren't getting out alive too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Do they disappear forever if I mess up?

If you or your target dies then you're locked-in to the mission (or just fail, in the case of player death), before you kill your target you can quit or restart as much as you like while the mission is active on the servers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

During the Hokkaido ET I got spotted throwing the target over the railing and managed to restart before he actually died

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

During the Hokkaido ET I got spotted throwing the target over the railing and managed to restart before he actually died

how? alt-f4 reflexes?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

double nine posted:

how? alt-f4 reflexes?
well, hit escape reflexes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

well, hit escape reflexes

yeah this, if you hit escape and it lets you restart you're still good. if you do a type of kill that takes a second to kick in like falls or poison you can get out if you're fast

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You're locked in from dying or completing any objective (some ETs have a thing where you have to recover an item, that also counts same as a kill). If you absolutely want SA, here are some tips:
  • Take your time and observe your target's route. If it isn't a cycle you can always restart. Just figure out what they do, and how the level is different with them around. This is really important for The Angel of Death but that's a long way off.
  • Use disguises. There's no prize for Suit Only, so use whatever helps you get a clean and safe kill. For example on ET#1, The Forger, Tech Crew start means you're just one camera away from the rooms the target moves between, you are allowed into those rooms, and the target doesn't recognize you.
  • Many ETs have bodyguards they will call if someone tries to distract them. Don't rely on easy lures, or else be prepared to lure all the guards one by one.
  • Never do anything dangerous. Don't truck with explosives, don't shoot cars, don't mess with FEs, don't try to do electrocution accidents, don't even shoot chandeliers unless you're way far away. Anything that might kill you is something you should steer well clear of.
  • If caught trespassing, immediately restart. It blows SA so you may as well restart rather than wait for them to start shooting.
  • Unless the rules say otherwise, or you're supremely confident, knock the target out first. KO'd target means you can still restart. Dead doesn't. You can knock them out and carefully check to make sure nobody's coming or finding the body, secure your escape route, then kill them. If there's absolutely no chance of anyone impeding your escape, emetics/lures and drowning accidents can work.
  • Hide everyone you KO or kill just in case and avoid KOing too many people.
  • If there's an optional objective to retrieve an item, do not even attempt to touch that item until you are 100% sure the target can be safely killed and you can escape. Some items are dropped by the target when KO'd or killed so if you knock them out don't be hasty and pick up an item and lock yourself in anyway. The only tricky instance of this is The Warlord where the item you have to steal is probably harder to get to than the kill.
  • Preemptively delete evidence even if you're not anticipating camera interaction.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I like poison syrignes for the handful ETs I got- in addition to their ridiculously good properties anyway, they give you a second before the guy keels over. Can you poison a unconscious body?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

StashAugustine posted:

I like poison syrignes for the handful ETs I got- in addition to their ridiculously good properties anyway, they give you a second before the guy keels over. Can you poison a unconscious body?
You can't. Poison and drowning are both good options because the body can be found and you have a second or two to restart if anyone catches you, so both lethal and emetic syringes are nice. You just have to be very careful about it. They work best when the target isn't an enforcer, and thus doesn't care what you're doing around them. The Blackmailer for example doesn't really enforce any disguise, so if you can lure him into the nearby bathroom you can easily either stick him, stick-and-drown him, or just KO and snap his neck. Just be quick about going for the restart button if something weird happens, and be patient about sticking a target.

Also: Don't KO someone and try to dump them for a Fall Accident. It is possible to spot the body before the fall kills them, if they're unconscious. Not a problem for conscious pushes. Usually not an issue but it could cause trouble on The Chameleon, who has to die in an accident.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

khwarezm posted:

I don't really mind, its like the way the old Thief made not killing anyone a big part of higher difficulties.

In both cases you can just ignore it, but the games are stating clearly what's considered skillful play.

yea but it's still better to get people to play through rather than restart immediately after they've been spotted once. i don't think it makes much sense to have an open-ended sandbox murder simulator to be as strictly pass/fail as it is, especially when the Blood Money post-mission mechanics were just so much more fun.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
I wonder if the new mechanics that prevent the new missions from being usable in Contracts are a sort of Blood Money-style notoriety system that carries over between missions, or some other way for what happens in one mission to affect the next.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

gtrmp posted:

I wonder if the new mechanics that prevent the new missions from being usable in Contracts are a sort of Blood Money-style notoriety system that carries over between missions, or some other way for what happens in one mission to affect the next.

Remember the virus prototype from Sapienza?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

drat I don't have enough space for the update and all i have installed is this, total warhammer, and vermintide lol

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
how is that even possible, hdd's cost next to nothing nowadays...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

laptop with an ssd

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

in actual questions, is the holmwood disturbance and the paris attic in general kinda unpredictable? keep getting spotted even though im basically doing the same thing

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

...I think I see why the contracts mode is disabled for the new missions.

please enlighten me

Nakar posted:

Also: Don't KO someone and try to dump them for a Fall Accident. It is possible to spot the body before the fall kills them, if they're unconscious. Not a problem for conscious pushes. Usually not an issue but it could cause trouble on The Chameleon, who has to die in an accident.

yeah he was my first ET and the only one I didn't get SA on because he was spotted as he fell to his death while unconscious

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
By the way, the change to the pistol distraction range coming in the patch is huge. 1.5 meters to 5 meters doesn't sound like much but you basically have to shoot right at somebody's feet to distract them at the moment and 5 meters will give you considerable leeway to do things like shoot a wall behind a guard to make them turn around. Keep an eye on that technique once the patch drops.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It looks like there’s going to be an invisible killer virus mechanic, tying into Silvio’s work, running through the new missions.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

stuff is happening:

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/927859055858679808

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/927870038941544448

Aug 24, 2011

oh boy

first two missions are nothing special, but mission 3 is a sniper challenge, and mission 4 is extremely loving good.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

servers are still down for me though :(

Aug 24, 2011

double nine posted:

servers are still down for me though :(

go offline :ssh:

legit just skip the first 3 missions and open up hokkaido. you won't regret it.

Aug 24, 2011

screenshots of mission 4, in spoilers, if you really really really want to see what it is right now

yes, you can spread the virus yourself, probably a cheevo for infecting every single person in the hospital. it also spreads as other infected targets move to each other. kind of weird how in the first picture that nurse just walked right up to patient zero. like how did the virus not spread if you're stupid enough to not wear a biosuit? also i'm a hypocrite :haw:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
It sounds like you can play Patient Zero without buying it if you’re in offline mode.

Oops.

Aug 24, 2011

patient zero hokkaido spoilers

turns out there's no challenge or achievement or anything for infecting the entire hospital

there's one for not allowing anyone else to get infected though

it's kinda weird because the whole hokkaido level is available but the only purpose for that is to allow the infection to spread so you have to track people down who are infected

the patrol routes of NPCs won't actually infect the whole hospital by itself either, my run only infected about 15 people which felt pretty weak, i guess none of the hospital NPCs move close enough to the resort NPCs for the level to feel like a real epidemic

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

can't say I'm a fan of the new color scheme.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
When you're doing the escalation to get the Striker Pistol (which I'm not all that fond of, it's knock-back looks hokey and low-gravityish which looks out of place for this game. But it's alright)

The "trespassers" aren't just anybody in the room, they're anybody that's been in your room, so use your Hitman powers to spot them because they have a tendency to wander off if you don't get them directly in your room

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Weird pricing on Steam - the bonus campaign is priced at $9.99 and the outfit DLC is priced at $14.99. You can't buy them separately anyway, and the bundle is $20, but it feels like you're being "ripped off" by paying a lot extra for a few suits.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hmm Hitman just took another patch.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Grrrrr, I’m out and want to start downloading the update version onto my PS4 since I bought the normal game when it came out, but it won’t let me start the download after I bought it on my phone app. Like, I can click the download to PS4 button, but it doesn’t go into my queue

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Io have confirmed that a "next Hitman game" is in development, but that they aren't saying anything about it until some time next year.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

The Kins posted:

Io have confirmed that a "next Hitman game" is in development, but that they aren't saying anything about it until some time next year.

Aw man, I was really hoping we'd start getting Season 2 in 2018 but they're being so purposely obtuse with the wording.

Well at the very least, it confirms IOI is continuing with the franchise.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does anyone have a clue how to do the new 'slam dunk' challenge in the source- explode yulduz so hard she ends up in the canopy?

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 7, 2017

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Tumble posted:

Aw man, I was really hoping we'd start getting Season 2 in 2018 but they're being so purposely obtuse with the wording.

Well at the very least, it confirms IOI is continuing with the franchise.

Isn't there a big hint in Colorado about likely locations for the next game? I wonder if they'll start dropping more clues in the GOTY stuff even if they're not outright saying it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

double nine posted:

Does anyone have a clue how to do the new 'slam dunk' challenge in the source- explode yulduz so hard she ends up in the canopy?
I put two propane tanks (from the back garden) on either side of her and the fire extinguishers already in the room around her then shot one of the extinguishers behind her.

I'm guessing you don't need near that much but I thought I might as well go for overkill. Took me about 4 tries before I got the placement right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

anyone know if/how one can disable the intro cinematic on pc? The 'powered by glacier'/'be online for best use experience' one? I tried finding the .ini file, or an intro.mp4 or some such, but didn't find anything recognisable.