Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

M_Gargantua posted:

diamonds harden under pressure into something beautiful and consistent.

nukes harden under pressure, concealing a bitter and depressed nougat core

It's a hell of a bullet point for a CV: "Endured a job so miserable that nothing you could offer me to do for pay would ever conceivably be worse...not retail. (2018-2026)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
You should make sure to by a really nice car/jeep/truck first, don't worry about the interest rate because you can get it knocked down to like 6% once your are on active, Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act...
The $100K make it so you can get pretty much any car you want. Corvette? Top of the Line Lexus? How about a custom pickup with a lift kit and CB lights?

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I wonder if his recruiter told him that the tax on enlistment bonuses is like 38%.

loving lol. You just enlisted into a job where you have a 1 in 30 chance of killing yourself for not even 100k enlistment bonus, but a 62k enlistment bonus.

That's not a 1 in 30 chance of someone else killing you on the battlefield, that's a 1 in 30 chance of you going back home, sitting on the edge of your bed, staring at the wall for 30 seconds before you reach into the drawer and pull out your 9mm and suck start it.

That's after everyone here did all they could to tell you that this is a terrible job.

And you're not even getting 2/3 of the bonus that the recruiter told you that you'd get for doing it.

Jesus loving christ.

I will never, ever join the military. Thank you, GiP....

Quote from page 61 to emphasize:

posted:

That money they're offering you is blood money and you've got like a 1 in 30 chance of being a suicide statistic.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 7, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I thought enlistment bonus's were capped at 12 or 15k right now anyway. Its the reenlistment bonus where they start offering the big bucks, since by then you've passed training and are already starting to experience the true suffering and need a quick motivation boost to remain

Even then...

Current 2017 bonuses are based on a multiplier of base pay. A nuke E-5 up for reenlisment is making $2,500 a month. (If youre an E-4 at the time you get cashed out based on $2,200, but they bump you up to E-5 immediately, so the added additional monthly pay is often enough to offset the loss in your bonus amount)
For submariners (the superior nukes), ETNs are at x12, ELTs at x11, MMNs at x9, and EMNs are at x6.5.
For surface targets, its x7.5, x9.5, x6.5, x5.5 in the same order.

I'm going to assume bet you're going to wind up as a surface EM so you can hate your life the most! (This is what KetTarma was, and his experience may be slightly on the rough side of the bellcurve but is pretty vanilla all things considered)

$2,500 base x 4 year reenlistment x 5.5 = $55,000. A good chunk, but still not a lot of money in life.

Now if you're lucky enough to be a submarine ET and not hate your very existence, a mere 3 year reenlistment nets you 90k, which just about hits the limit for a bonus.

Oh, and have fun with the taxes!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I'll just throw in an echo to the would-be nuke to please listen to the guys here in the thread. You have people from all walks of life in the Navy, including the field you are looking at saying don't do it

KetTarma posted:

Well, we tried.

My only consolation is that I will probably see you wandering around the mall in your dress uniform wearing a backpack for some reason.

I've only been the mall down here in Pensacola a handful of times and I swear to god I see at least a half dozen dudes and chicks rocking this look. Whats in those bags? Also why wear the dress uniform to the mall, are they not allowed to wear civvies or something?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t63jQG80tqE

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I've only been the mall down here in Pensacola a handful of times and I swear to god I see at least a half dozen dudes and chicks rocking this look. Whats in those bags? Also why wear the dress uniform to the mall, are they not allowed to wear civvies or something?

When I was at A-school in Pensacola we had to wear dress blues off base for the first couple weeks before getting our liberty cards. It was dogshit, especially since there wasn’t a legit navy fed branch at NATTC so if you wanted to do any banking or get your poo poo in order after getting there you had to suit up like a dickhead.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

I'm legit blitzed and on shoreb duty as a not nuke and that was the worst thing ever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Laranzu posted:

I'm legit blitzed and on shoreb duty as a not nuke and that was the worst thing ever.

Yeah, if you're going to mumble incoherently into a cheap Plantronics headset, at least include a lyric sheet.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Unrelated: I have been out for three and a half years. I have a degree and a career and not a care in the world now. My IRR time ended in 2016.

At least once a week, I have a dream that I’m either on the ship, late for something, or that some paperwork got hosed up or some legislation passed that results in me having to reenlist and go back to the ship. Usually it ends up with me being bitter as hell during the dream because I thought I finished. I have to wake up before I’m convinced it isn’t real, even though there are ridiculous elements like traveling forward and aft via a water slide on the mess decks. Is this my dream life now?

edit: poo poo, I've posted this before. It hasn't gotten better, I guess

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 7, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Laranzu posted:

I did a google for 'navy nuclear power' and 'navy nuclear power sucks'

found that

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

M_Gargantua posted:

diamonds harden under pressure into something beautiful and consistent.

nukes harden under pressure, concealing a bitter and depressed nougat core

Until they go critical, then apparently jump off the 3rd story of the barracks or eat a bullet.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
We get a few nuke drops in the Bees. They all say they are glad they failed out

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

MancXVI posted:

Unrelated: I have been out for three and a half years. I have a degree and a career and not a care in the world now. My IRR time ended in 2016.

At least once a week, I have a dream that I’m either on the ship, late for something, or that some paperwork got hosed up or some legislation passed that results in me having to reenlist and go back to the ship. Usually it ends up with me being bitter as hell during the dream because I thought I finished. I have to wake up before I’m convinced it isn’t real, even though there are ridiculous elements like traveling forward and aft via a water slide on the mess decks. Is this my dream life now?

It goes away, at least it did for me.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MancXVI posted:

If it makes you feel better, it's been 6 years since I've been to Iraq or Afghanistan and sometimes I wake up with a feeling of dread because I can't find my rifle. It's a lot like when you were in High School and you'd wake up thinking you'd forgot your homework or forgot to study for a test or something only to remember it's Saturday.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

MancXVI posted:

I still have regular bitter dreams about it. Mine are usually me going "I'm not even supposed to be here, you guys do whatever the gently caress you want." I was land navy so most of my dreams are just hanging around our equipment and stuff with the overbearing feeling of everything is broken and they want me to train these people to fix it.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I would like to note that my recruiter never mentioned anything about the enlistment bonus for nuke, and prior to me causing this thread to explode a bit the only enlistment bonus mentioned to me had been something $16k for AECF, though I may be mis-remembering that number. My recruiter hasn't actually done anything to push me into nuke, that can all be blamed on my brother and most of the folks in the Navy office at MEPS. In fact, she never really mentioned much of anything about specific jobs besides telling me that I'm pretty much qualified for anything with my ASVAB score. I am leaning more and more towards remaining AECF, or possibly trying to get SECF on account of already having signed the "I'm cool with going on a sub" form. (Notably, the fact that this form had been presented to me to sign, even though I am currently signed as AECF, confused the hell out of my recruiter.)

I don't mean to seem flippant, or as if I'm dismissing all your advice out of hand, but I do have a habit of minimizing the concerns of others, and digging my heels in even in cases where I am pretty clearly wrong. I do thank you guys for your patience and/or mockery, and assure you I really don't plan on becoming a statistic anytime soon.

Unrelatedly, I wouldn't say my brother exactly loves being an HT, though he did start liking it a bit more once he started getting trained in welding. It's not an assignment he exactly chose, he just ended up with it after pissing off a few bigwigs shortly after enlisting.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

LogicalFallacy posted:

I would like to note that my recruiter never mentioned anything about the enlistment bonus for nuke, and prior to me causing this thread to explode a bit the only enlistment bonus mentioned to me had been something $16k for AECF, though I may be mis-remembering that number. My recruiter hasn't actually done anything to push me into nuke, that can all be blamed on my brother and most of the folks in the Navy office at MEPS. In fact, she never really mentioned much of anything about specific jobs besides telling me that I'm pretty much qualified for anything with my ASVAB score. I am leaning more and more towards remaining AECF, or possibly trying to get SECF on account of already having signed the "I'm cool with going on a sub" form. (Notably, the fact that this form had been presented to me to sign, even though I am currently signed as AECF, confused the hell out of my recruiter.)

I don't mean to seem flippant, or as if I'm dismissing all your advice out of hand, but I do have a habit of minimizing the concerns of others, and digging my heels in even in cases where I am pretty clearly wrong. I do thank you guys for your patience and/or mockery, and assure you I really don't plan on becoming a statistic anytime soon.

Unrelatedly, I wouldn't say my brother exactly loves being an HT, though he did start liking it a bit more once he started getting trained in welding. It's not an assignment he exactly chose, he just ended up with it after pissing off a few bigwigs shortly after enlisting.

Punch your brother in the dick. He's your brother, he's earned it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

We get a few nuke drops in the Bees. They all say they are glad they failed out

My bro couldn’t even pass the first math test.
To the Bees with yah!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

LogicalFallacy posted:

This explains everything. Your brother is bitter and wants your time in to suck worse than his.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LogicalFallacy posted:

Your recruiter obviously wants to gently caress you.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

LogicalFallacy posted:

I am leaning more and more towards remaining AECF, or possibly trying to get SECF on account of already having signed the "I'm cool with going on a sub" form. (Notably, the fact that this form had been presented to me to sign, even though I am currently signed as AECF, confused the hell out of my recruiter.)

Fyi that automatically makes you eligible to be a nuke submariner which is the worst type of nuke to be.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LogicalFallacy posted:

My recruiter hasn't actually done anything to push me into nuke, that can all be blamed on my brother and most of the folks in the Navy office at MEPS.

The meps people care what billet you go into fyi.

LogicalFallacy posted:

In fact, she never really mentioned much of anything about specific jobs besides telling me that I'm pretty much qualified for anything with my ASVAB score.

While this is true, whenever you mention your asvab you talk about it like it's a big deal. The asvab isn't a rigorous test, I got a 92 on it hungover as gently caress. It's there to deny entrance to the complete idiots.

LogicalFallacy posted:

I am leaning more and more towards remaining AECF,

This is a good idea.

LogicalFallacy posted:

or possibly trying to get SECF on account of already having signed the "I'm cool with going on a sub" form.

Wtf why? Subs are not a great platform lol.

LogicalFallacy posted:

(Notably, the fact that this form had been presented to me to sign, even though I am currently signed as AECF, confused the hell out of my recruiter.)

Oh meps wants to fill a sub billet. Good thing they have an ignorant guy to sign anything they put in front of him!

LogicalFallacy posted:

I don't mean to seem flippant, or as if I'm dismissing all your advice out of hand, but I do have a habit of minimizing the concerns of others, and digging my heels in even in cases where I am pretty clearly wrong.

That's a really stupid habit, now would be a good time to take others advice. You're 26 and enlisting, that means you've clearly made poor life decisions, or else you wouldn't be joining, especially at 26. Don't make another one.

LogicalFallacy posted:

I do thank you guys for your patience and/or mockery, and assure you I really don't plan on becoming a statistic anytime soon.

You still don't get it. No one joins the program thinking they'll fail. They'll be different and better than the other guys!

LogicalFallacy posted:

Unrelatedly, I wouldn't say my brother exactly loves being an HT,

Your brother chases poo poo through pipes, and to take him at any kind of word regarding the navy is hilarious, 3 years isn't poo poo in the navy, he's probably not even an e5 at this point, maybe not even an e4.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LF, AECF is a good program if you're actually set on enlisting.

I was AECF and got designated ET at boot camp, ETs have a great standard of living while at sea and about middle of the road standard of living when in port. I was an ET for 6 years and loved my job, but hated being in the Navy.

If you're computer savvy or want to be, go IT and get as many certifications as you can while you're in. If you get your CCNA/CCNP and a TS clearance you can get really good jobs after 4-8 years active duty.

If you're into DnD, anime, or furries I recommend STG.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LogicalFallacy posted:

and assure you I really don't plan on becoming a statistic anytime soon.

Speaking as a statistic, I suppose it was my own fault for not explicitly stating that I didn't want to become one, I guess.

gently caress, you're stupid.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

PneumonicBook posted:

This is a good idea.

Wtf why? Subs are not a great platform lol.

I really enjoyed my time in an SECF rating.

I enjoyed it so much I went STA-21

Now I'm a nuke officer.

gently caress.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Cerekk posted:

I really enjoyed my time in an SECF rating.

I enjoyed it so much I went STA-21

Now I'm a nuke officer.

gently caress.

Lmao.

That's unfortunate.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lou Takki posted:

If you're into DnD, anime, or furries I recommend STG.

There was plenty of that at ET school.

Somebody here remembers catboy from 2003 Great Lakes.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

LogicalFallacy posted:

on account of already having signed the "I'm cool with going on a sub" form.

LogicalFallacy posted:

signed the "I'm cool with going on a sub" form.

LogicalFallacy posted:

signed the loving submarine volunteer form

Welcome to submarines!

Now if you fail out of Nuke school, you'll still become a submariner! Did you know that getting out of nuke is still possible if you gently caress up school? Did you know that getting out of submarines is about 100 times harder than that?

Your brother is a loving rear end in a top hat.

-A former submariner that watched the nukes suffer for many years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

*on port and report duty during every liberty port so you never leave the boat except for a few hours to sleep at home port

Sure am glad i went sub nuke fellas!

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LogicalFallacy posted:

Promote that man.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

And when you do finally decide to end it, please do it on your own. Don't suicide by rent-a-cop or charge the Quarterdeck watch or something where you destroy someone else's life.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nick Soapdish posted:

And when you do finally decide to end it, please do it on your own. Don't suicide by rent-a-cop or charge the Quarterdeck watch or something where you destroy someone else's life.

It could be worse than that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Null Integer posted:

Welcome to submarines!
Not necessarily, I'd think? I mean, my current contract is aecf, so I figure I would actually have to sign for nuke or secf for that form to become relevant? That's kind of why my recruiter was so confused by them presenting it to me at MEPS.

No argument on my brother being an rear end in a top hat, though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I wish you well

I hate life a lot right now and I'm on a goddamn superyacht, you're going into an environment with far more stringent rules and regulations plus all the military bullshit on the top

Hope it works out for you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LogicalFallacy posted:

Not necessarily, I'd think? I mean, my current contract is aecf, so I figure I would actually have to sign for nuke or secf for that form to become relevant? That's kind of why my recruiter was so confused by them presenting it to me at MEPS.

No argument on my brother being an rear end in a top hat, though.

it doesn't matter that your contract is AECF. You volunteered for submarines.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

it doesn't matter that your contract is AECF. You volunteered for submarines.

Excuse me I'll have you know we don't know anything and besides his recruiter didn't say anything about it and she would certainly tell him because she respects him and he certainly isn't a +1 to her quota (which doesn't exist because she told him).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

MancXVI posted:

When I was at A-school in Pensacola we had to wear dress blues off base for the first couple weeks before getting our liberty cards. It was dogshit, especially since there wasn’t a legit navy fed branch at NATTC so if you wanted to do any banking or get your poo poo in order after getting there you had to suit up like a dickhead.

Ouch, that sucks, when you were waiting for A-school did they make you guys do sweepers at the API building? When I was going through I usually saw some airmen and rescue swimmer aspirants sweeping/moving crap/standing random I.D checks in the hallway and felt bad so I'd sneak them candy bars when no one was looking.

Going through primary right now is really weird among the SNFO's, everyone is fighting to try and get slots at VT-4 to fly in any of the big wings, but people keep getting jet drafted even though VT-86 has a five month wait time to class up, you'd think with that giant pig in the python they'd slow the flow there.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Tell us your Clayton Hartwig theories too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Ouch, that sucks, when you were waiting for A-school did they make you guys do sweepers at the API building? When I was going through I usually saw some airmen and rescue swimmer aspirants sweeping/moving crap/standing random I.D checks in the hallway and felt bad so I'd sneak them candy bars when no one was looking.

Going through primary right now is really weird among the SNFO's, everyone is fighting to try and get slots at VT-4 to fly in any of the big wings, but people keep getting jet drafted even though VT-86 has a five month wait time to class up, you'd think with that giant pig in the python they'd slow the flow there.

Corry was weird. Couldn't leave base for two weeks. Had my wife ship my car filled with civy clothes, my bowling ball and my fishing gear. Really the idiots could have just gone to the NEX behind corry attached by an unworking turn style and bought civy clothes before leaving base.

No reason at all to go all the way to mall in uniform.