Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

priznat posted:

He’s also a Minecraft maniac, is the Switch version good if he already has the iOS one? I hear the switch is the only console that can’t share the worlds among all the platforms, which is a bummer.

Thanks for any advice..

I've been looking into the whole Minecraft on Switch thing, and apparently you should be able to play with him using an iOS/Android/mobile device, if he's on the Switch version, and vice-versa. Or a laptop running Windows 10. Or an XB1. Everything except for a PS4 can play together in what Microsoft is calling 'Minecraft (Bedrock version)'. There was an update that came out this year called the 'Better Together' update. This brought feature parity with all versions of the game on mobile, XB1, Switch, and Windows 10. The old version is known as the 'Java' version, Sony didn't want to allow cross-platform play, so that's out for the PS4, and all the older versions have '<blank> Edition' after their titles (WiiU Edition, Xbox360 Edition, etc).

Despite them initially calling it the 'Bedrock Edition', Microsoft has actually defaulted to the plain ol' 'Minecraft' name.

Anyway, world sizes aside, everything running 'Minecraft' (no subtitle or special edition) should be able to play together via LAN mode, and online via Realms.

Hope that helps! I knew none of this before this morning, so anyone else who knows more, feel free to chime in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm not sure what you expect to happen here. Are you saying Sega, a Japanese company and therefore automatically very rooted in tradition and company loyalty, should oust a man who has been with the company for decades at this point, in favor of a guy who not only doesn't work regularly for them, but who Iizuka and the people running Sonic Team hired to work on Sonic in the first place and enjoys a good professional relationship with them that afforded the Mania team the freedom and resources they had to begin with?

Sure, that won't throw the franchise into chaos. It's totally a black and white matter of "Sonic Team bad, Whitehead good".

Regardless of the circumstances, Mania is unabashedly great and the best that could be said for any game ST has put out in like 15 years is that a couple of them are pretty good, but not great. I don't really know who's working on what over there, but Sonic Team has the kind of record I associate with a studio that's been recently bought by EA

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

priznat posted:

Nintendo noob here, preordered the Mario Odyssey bundle because it looked good and I have a 5yo who wants a Switch for xmas.

What other games are fun to play with kids that age? I’m thinking Mario Kart 8 would be a fun multiplayer (he plays the wii version at his cousins so will probably kick my rear end), any other good choices for fun multiplayer? Will I need to get another set of joycons?

He’s also a Minecraft maniac, is the Switch version good if he already has the iOS one? I hear the switch is the only console that can’t share the worlds among all the platforms, which is a bummer.

Thanks for any advice..
Snipperclips is a great fun little eShop-only game. It's getting an Expanded version with more levels this week. He might enjoy ARMS? I haven't played it, and opinion on it here is mixed, but there's a demo so you can try it out before buying it. He might also like Splatoon. It's a fun little co-op shooter. It's primarily online, but you can play offline also. Some other suggestions: Super Bomberman R, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Sonic Mania, ACA NeoGeo games (loads of Metal Slugs, plus platformers and puzzlers, along with a ton of fighting games), Overcooked.

If you're only playing 2 player, you don't need extra joycons. It depends on how you get on playing with a single joycon though. Some people find them too small, and get hand cramps. I find them ok to play with using the straps.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

THE loving MOON posted:

Regardless of the circumstances, Mania is unabashedly great and the best that could be said for any game ST has put out in like 15 years is that a couple of them are pretty good, but not great. I don't really know who's working on what over there, but Sonic Team has the kind of record I associate with a studio that's been recently bought by EA

I'm not disputing that Sonic Team has a woefully inconsistent track record. But simply kicking them to the curb while promoting the Mania team isn't the answer to fixing the franchise, especially considering there's not really anyone to promote and they don't actually work at Sega. Dissolving the elements that allowed Mania to exist is the exact worse case scenario for people who want more of it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I don't see why it wouldn't work tbh

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I think I mixed up the ps4 version as the minecraft that won’t play with other worlds. That would be great to be able to multiplay with him on ipad/iphone. It’s really fun just between devices already.

Definitely will get Kart and a couple others..

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
ST could be a good publisher even if they usually don't make good games. It works for chucklefish

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm not sure what you expect to happen here. Are you saying Sega, a Japanese company and therefore automatically very rooted in tradition and company loyalty, should oust a man who has been with the company for decades at this point, in favor of a guy who not only doesn't work regularly for them, but who Iizuka and the people running Sonic Team hired to work on Sonic in the first place and enjoys a good professional relationship with them that afforded the Mania team the freedom and resources they had to begin with?

Sure, that won't throw the franchise into chaos. It's totally a black and white matter of "Sonic Team bad, Whitehead good".

I guess they can just keep cranking out lovely game after lovely game and throw good money after bad in the name of tradition and loyalty? That’s an option I suppose.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

KingSlime posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't work tbh

Well, for one thing, it would never actually happen. A scenario where Iizuka is kicked out and an outside developer assumes his job is just plain unfeasible the way Sega, and practically every company like it, is run. What you're effectively asking for is the equivalent of the guy who made Mario + Rabbids ousting Shigery Miyamoto.

And even if it were to happen, the corporate culture is not one where he'd enjoy the same kind of support and benefits that came from the relationship they had with a long established person in the company. Whitehead would go from an up and coming developer who has support from someone who has good standing at Sega and a solid relationship with a long-time member of the company, to someone with much larger responsibilities who has to prove himself to an old guard of people who have very different ideas of how to make video games, along with all the issues that come with a cultural and language barrier between him and the rest of Sega.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm not disputing that Sonic Team has a woefully inconsistent track record. But simply kicking them to the curb while promoting the Mania team isn't the answer to fixing the franchise, especially considering there's not really anyone to promote and they don't actually work at Sega. Dissolving the elements that allowed Mania to exist is the exact worse case scenario for people who want more of it.
The thing is you are holding on to the idea that sega could only work with the mania devs in the way they have done in the past. Theres no reason Headcannon/Christian Whitehead couldn't be brought on board at sega.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the last time sonic outsourced a mainline 3d sonic game to a western developer we got sonic boom.

also whitehead's skills are in making 2d games not 3d ones.

also sonic generations and colors were well-received.

I think whitehead being brought on officially as part of sega would be good, but the idea of him being granted full control of the sonic series is just fanfiction.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

priznat posted:

Nintendo noob here, preordered the Mario Odyssey bundle because it looked good and I have a 5yo who wants a Switch for xmas.

What other games are fun to play with kids that age? I’m thinking Mario Kart 8 would be a fun multiplayer (he plays the wii version at his cousins so will probably kick my rear end), any other good choices for fun multiplayer? Will I need to get another set of joycons?

Thanks for any advice..

He will love ARMS. Especially if you are bad at it. It's a game young children can grasp and have a blast with.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mr Phillby posted:

The thing is you are holding on to the idea that sega could only work with the mania devs in the way they have done in the past. Theres no reason Headcannon/Christian Whitehead couldn't be brought on board at sega.

Well, aside from the issue of whether or not that's what they want or not.

But sure, they could become a part of Sega, and that would be very different from them full on replacing Sonic Team and the people in charge there, but that's not what people have been saying. I'm specifically responding to the idea of them replacing Sonic Team, which is, as I laid out in the post immediately before yours, implausible, and two, not likely to get the results anyone wants.

It's a fantasy. A pipe dream. Or as Endorph said, fanfiction. And worst of all it wouldn't have the results anyone thinks would happen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MassRafTer posted:

He will love ARMS. Especially if you are bad at it. It's a game young children can grasp and have a blast with.

The videos look hilarious, definitely one to check out. Splatoon too, looks fun. Nice to have quite a few options!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
SEGA should definitely do more collaborations and licensing with Sonic. Just ask around and see who'd be interested in making a Sonic game. Like... they could ask Nintendo, Nintendo would crank out a perfect 10/10 masterpiece sonic game that's hailed as Sonic finally successfully jumping to 3D in the media and just kind of existentially own SEGA so hard they lose all their patents

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a good kid-friendly Switch game is the Yono elephant game which is basically a more relaxed Zelda

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sega doesn't really give a gently caress and has been having ST shovel out games on short timelines for decades now. ST probably gets more support making Puyo.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

What you're effectively asking for is the equivalent of the guy who made Mario + Rabbids ousting Shigery Miyamoto.

If the Mario series ever sunk to the absolute garbage-tier level that 3D Sonic games have been at since.....well.....ever, then I'd be OK with that.

That was a really lovely comparison.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Except the point wasn't about the level of quality of any respective series. It's about the unlikelihood of something like that to happen. Ever.

It sucks that good will and positive thinking don't have the ability to change things in the games industry, but that's unfortunately the way the world works. It's not about what you'd be "Ok" with, it's about what's actually feasible.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

priznat posted:

The videos look hilarious, definitely one to check out. Splatoon too, looks fun. Nice to have quite a few options!
I'd add Rayman Legends to the list. A great 2D platformer that's really good to play co-op and has some amazing levels to uncover. It didn't make much noise in the thread because it's been out for a few years on every platform under the sun, but you should take a look if he hasn't played it yet.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sega should sell sonic to platinum

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zelder posted:

Sega should sell sonic to platinum

Platinum has better things to do than Sonic games

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
That sounds like it would be awesome, but so did platinum making Starfox :anime:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

But really though Sonic Team is one of the most consistently disappointing teams around. It'll be interesting to see what new depths they plumb when they do a followup to Sonic Forces.

Gahhh, why couldn't they have just done Generations 2.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Miyamoto ruined Star Fox when he replaced all the fighter pilot with generic toads. He should be banned from making games.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

priznat posted:

Thanks for any advice..

Minecraft for switch is due to get the better together update, actually. It will then be pretty much the same as the phone version, and will indeed be able to share worlds. It's the PS4 that won't be able to. For now, neither can, though.

E: Missed that there was another page :saddowns:

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 7, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Miyamoto ruined Star Fox when he replaced all the fighter pilot with generic toads.

Slippy and his uncle are the least of Star Fox Guard's problems.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

That sounds like it would be awesome, but so did platinum making Starfox :anime:

SFZ was ruined by not letting Hideki "I wish someone would put a gun to my head and tell me to make Star Fox" Kamiya make it. They literally had access to a man dying to direct a Star Fox game and instead just settled for the Platinum B or C team

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Motto posted:

Sega doesn't really give a gently caress and has been having ST shovel out games on short timelines for decades now. ST probably gets more support making Puyo.

Sonic Forces had a four year development cycle with Sonic Boom and spin-offs filling the gap. The game seems to have been rebooted several times and the last iteration had to make the deadline. I'm really not sure what SEGA accomplishes by having the Sonic Team make a deviantart simulator game with terrible reviews in the same amount of time it took Nintendo to ship Super Mario Odyssey. Well, at least they'll always have Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Endorph posted:

also the last time sonic outsourced a mainline 3d sonic game to a western developer we got sonic boom.

Yeah, the TV show is great. What game? There's no Sonic Boom game!!!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sonic games make lots of money, even bad ones.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Deviantart simulator is an accurate representation of Sonic fandom though

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, the TV show is great. What game? There's no Sonic Boom game!!!

There's three of them.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sunning posted:

Sonic Forces had a four year development cycle with Sonic Boom and spin-offs filling the gap. The game seems to have been rebooted several times and the last iteration had to make the deadline. I'm really not sure what SEGA accomplishes by having the Sonic Team make a deviantart simulator game with terrible reviews in the same amount of time it took Nintendo to ship Super Mario Odyssey. Well, at least they'll always have Puyo Puyo Tetris.

It was probably restarted four times because someone at Sega still lives under the delusion Sonic Team could make a good game despite proof to the contrary in the last 19 years.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Decades from now archeologists will sift through hundreds of awful Sonic games and find Sonic Mania and it will blow their minds

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

not until it gets a physical release they won't.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Four more blades. The first 2 look sweet:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/7bei4x/4_new_xenoblade_chronicles_2_rare_blades_shown/

Also, Bamco announced 3 exclusives for next year:
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/11/07/bandai-namco-is-announcing-three-switch-exclusives-early-next-year

I'm curious what they'll be. Portable Dark Souls would be rad as hell. I wonder if they'll try to sneak God Eater in here. A Katamari game would be neat. They already announced a Tales game coming out early next year so I don't think it's one of those.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Portable Dark Souls on a Nintendo console is so unlikely and hilarious that it's obviously going to happen

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Portable Dark Souls on a Nintendo console is so unlikely and hilarious that it's obviously going to happen

As long as they make a baby mode so I can still play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I happen to live in the timeline where Nintendo financed Bayonetta 2 to be an exclusive game, so anything is possible.

• Locked thread