Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
How do you think he's going to get Kitty Pryde on to the Justice League?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Potential books for Bendis to revamp for DC in 2018:

Batman
Batman & the Outsiders
Batman & the Legion of Superheroes
Blue Devil: Gotham's Guardian Devil
Simon Dark
House of Secrets About Batman

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe we'll get another Guardian revamp. (I'm actually struggling to think of DC street-level heroes outside of Batman family characters.)

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

purple death ray posted:

He will almost certainly be given multiple books.

I look forward to his insanely decompressed storytelling ruining the momentum of my favourite DC characters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a Catwoman comic at the moment that they can put a "from the creator of Alias" blurb on the cover of?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Give him a Hawkman/Donna Troy teamup book.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I have a sneaking suspicion he's getting a Tim Drake or Nightwing book.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Revol posted:

You don't regulate a big name like his to a small book.

What they should do is have him build up a long neglected property, either Teen Titans or Legion.

Oh hell no. Bury the Legion forever before giving it to Bendis, and I say that as someone who's read the Legion for all my life.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He hasn't killed in years though

He killed in the story just before. He melted several dudes faces off. You linked the pictures.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Bendy belongs on Legion.

Good god no, not a team book. Give him characters like Hitman, or a Young Animal book, Guardian, Green Arrow, poo poo even Blue Beetle, but no teams. He always excels when he has one or two characters be the focus, when it's more everything becomes fractured. And a mess of word balloons and his main weakness of finishing a plot or storyline comes through.

Edge & Christian posted:

Potential books for Bendis to revamp for DC in 2018:

Blue Devil: Gotham's Guardian Devil
Simon Dark

No lie if he went down the Occult route, and did a Blue Devil book, or DETECTIVE CHIMP ala Alias, I'd buy it.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 7, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Get ready for the new Batman named Niles Norales.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Codependent Poster posted:

Get ready for the new Batman named Niles Norales.

You mean Duke Thomas?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

fadam posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion he's getting a Tim Drake or Nightwing book.

I will be very surprised if he's not getting a solo Batman book. Maybe not *the* solo Batman book, maybe a side book like All-Star (though I also wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Morrison on King and demote him to a side book). But either way, I find it hard to imagine he'd sign with DC if he wasn't promised Batman.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Barry Convex posted:

I will be very surprised if he's not getting a solo Batman book. Maybe not *the* solo Batman book, maybe a side book like All-Star (though I also wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Morrison on King and demote him to a side book). But either way, I find it hard to imagine he'd sign with DC if he wasn't promised Batman.

Could be Superman.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

BB: Okay, I’ll sign BUT on the condition you promise I can have one book I’ve always dreamed of writing.
DC Exec: (oh poo poo, King is gonna be pissed but...)
BB: WILDCAT!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Some scorching takes in this thread, jeez guys.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm more curious about what went on that led to this than any actual books he's going to be writing

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Roth posted:

I'm more curious about what went on that led to this than any actual books he's going to be writing

My guess: mixture of getting burned out because they stretched him over so many books and Marvel probably treating him less like a superstar when he couldn't bring in the sales figures anymore.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Zoro posted:

My guess: mixture of getting burned out because they stretched him over so many books and Marvel probably treating him less like a superstar when he couldn't bring in the sales figures anymore.

Well, also just that he's been exclusive to Marvel for over a decade and a half and has literally never written DC characters outside of one Batman Elseworlds story he did with Gaydos in 2000.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea this is probably DC giving Bendis the key to the kingdom and Bendis wanting to try something new and different. I am excited.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, jokes aside, even though I haven't liked his recent work, I know he's quite capable of good stuff. Hopefully a company change-up will get those creative juices flowing again and we'll get some good stories again, instead of poo poo like Post-Siege Avengers or Spider-Man's Dad's Adventures

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Whoa. I'll take it, but stay away from linewide events, okay? :)
That's not going to happen is it?

edit: I bet he's getting Detective. Mark it.
ee: What about Detective AND Action? That'd be a task big enough for him/his clout. I certainly wouldn't miss Jurgens.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 7, 2017

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
It seems like Bendis already said all he could with Batman in his Daredevil run. But if we can get Daredevil era Bendis back and not current Bendis, that'd be cool.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh if they boot Tynion off of Detective I'm out. I don't care if theyre replacing him with Stan freaking Lee. No deal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Oh if they boot Tynion off of Detective I'm out. I don't care if theyre replacing him with Stan freaking Lee. No deal.

Tynion gets Legion.

I think Catwoman's a great idea. A launch off of the Batman marriage thing should probably happen, and if they're not going to give it to Genevieve Valentine again, Bendis is certainly a better idea than some Frank Tieri type dude.

edit: He'll deffo have a crime book for Vertigo's relaunch.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 7, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Tynion gets Legion.

What the hell did Tynion do???

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Bleeding Cool has an article speculating that Bendis might write a book with Zatanna. This is based on him saying in 2004 she's the DC character that he wants to write, along with Snyder recently admitting there were plans for her.

And then one of the comments in the article: "Oh joy...Bendis speak, but done backwards."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

It's hard to think about what kind of creative turn would be best for Bendis at DC. His early career is so different both in terms of subject matter and quality from his later period. I think the question were all asking is if he can ever be early 2000s Bendis again? He's obviously moving at least partially to refresh his work. Sometimes revisiting old glories can help, but sometimes it hurts. If he tries to revisit crime superheroes with Nightwing instead of Daredevil, it might be great, but it might be a horrible disaster. Maybe he's said all he has to say there, and trying to do that again is a dead end. Then again, his team and space stuff wasn't always the best. But who knows?

Time to write Aquaman.

A lot of this depends on the artists who are going to work with him too. If it's David Finch, which seems quite possible due to their shared history, it'll be trash regardless.

Endless Mike posted:

What the hell did Tynion do???

You need to get your head on straight and read the good works of Levitz, Lightle and Giffen, my son.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 7, 2017

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/927935825719054336

Forget what I said earlier I was just kidding give this man Legion of Superheroes now

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/927985717824847873

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Don't take Hickman's bait until you see his name in the solicits.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drat it, Hickman. Not you too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Are people missing the reference? Hickman is sorry his mentor is leaving.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. I didn't remember Dead Poets right. I thought it was some solidarity table standing.

edit: I'll keep adding speculation. If there's still any Watchmen crossover hanging after Doomsday Clock, he'll definitely be doing that event.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 7, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought that was some sort of Justice Society reference. (I've never seen that film :v:)

Okay so Bendis is a pretty balls writer whose lovely tendencies have magnified tenfold throughout the years instead of getting any better (which to be fair is unfortunately kinda standard for a lot of writers) to the point that those lovely tendencies are all I can envision when I think of his work.

buuut I've always said he might be able to do some nice work on a quirkier, more offbeat book like Flash or Titans. Books that don't require a ton of plot cohesion, but just needs a better direction and better character work than they've been getting...I wouldn't be opposed at all to him re-energizing any of DC's current weaker titles with his more creative tendencies.

(Now watch him take over Superman from Tomasi)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I see Bendis writing more of a Robin book that Detective Comics. I understand giving him a big title book like Batman or Detective, but I think he will probably want to play with some less popular characters though so he can do his own stories without having to worry about continuity or such.
Personally I would like to see him do Firestorm.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've always wanted Bendis to use his love of David Mamet/Seinfeld-inspired dialogue on a Blue Beetle and Booster Gold book.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've always wanted Bendis to use his love of David Mamet/Seinfeld-inspired dialogue on a Blue Beetle and Booster Gold book.

I've always thought of him as more of the Aaron Sorkin of comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

buuut I've always said he might be able to do some nice work on a quirkier, more offbeat book like Flash or Titans.

Jesus, a decompressed Flash book? Now there's a way to make people who didn't hate Barry Allen get on that ship.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Ted: She called. He yelled "Darkseid!" I missed her.

Booster: Who's Darkseid?

T: I'm Darkseid.

B: You're not Darksei-

T: Of course I'm not Darkseid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is awesome. Bendis is clearly burned out at Marvel. A whole new universe to play in sounds like exactly what he needs.