Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpacePig posted:

They're OK with all of that so long as he doesn't take their guns or whatever single issue they voted on.

"Political Correctness"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Picnic Princess posted:

I believe there's steep competition for the whole group of one who shows up.

Nah, there's 1 unlucky dude that draws the short straw and 1000 cucks.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

DandyLion posted:

Nah, there's 1 unlucky dude that draws the short straw and 1000 cucks.

Is that like the Death of a Thousand Cuts, except you die of exhaustion/dehydration after having to bang a thousand wives?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Atmus posted:

Is that like the Death of a Thousand Cuts, except you die of exhaustion/dehydration after having to bang a thousand wives?

Death by snu snu crushed pelvis!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Besesoth posted:

I'm willing to bet Bryan's date wasn't having nearly as good a time as he thought she was.

Yea thats probably true. If I jump to "so who did you vote for?" I was probably already getting a ton of vibes about it and just want to confirm. And the dude was probably a terrible listener if he was so caught off guard.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Atmus posted:

Mods, gimme the username Death of a Thousand Cucks :black101:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The phrase is death by a thousand cuts...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Or at the very least, they are totally a-ok with racism, bigotry, misogyny, warmongering, sexual assault, corruption, negligence, incompetence, and stupidity.

But, does it still count if you originally voted, but regret it later and wish you hadn't done it, but you are just as scared of Hillary, as you haven't trusted her since her husband was in office?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Samizdata posted:

But, does it still count if you originally voted, but regret it later and wish you hadn't done it, but you are just as scared of Hillary, as you haven't trusted her since her husband was in office?

Well I mean at that point you are just so dumb that you qualify for pity more than anything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't understand cryptocurrency, but this may be schadenfreude? Somebody's probably going to be pissed that their funny money disappeared.

https://boingboing.net/2017/11/07/one-person-permanently-locked.html

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

sneakyfrog posted:

yeah sorry. politics is always something to bust up friendships over. anyone who says otherwise pretty much doesnt have much conviction in their beliefs, or is willing to tolerate some pretty hosed up poo poo from their "friends" hell and thats asides from a romantic partner.
Well, it certainly wasn't always the case - the increasingly personal animus in the US between members of the two political 'sides' has been an interesting topic of study for social scientists. One of my favorite curious statistics:

quote:

In 1960, Almond and Verba found that only five percent of republicans and four percent of democrats felt “displeased” if their son or daughter married outside their political party. The number who reported feeling “pleased” by the prospect of an in-party marriage was no greater: two and three percent, respectively. Thus, the prospects of either an in- or out-party marriage within the family elicited little affective response.

Fifty years later, we obtained a perfect reversal of results. In the present era, it is the Americans who take their partisanship more seriously. In the 2008 yougov survey, the proportion of democratic and republican identifiers who indicate feeling “somewhat upset” or “very upset” at the possibility of an out-party marriage of a child increased to 0.27 and 0.20 for republicans and democrats, respectively. The difference in the level of distance maintained by republicans and democrats was significant (p < .05). As in the case of the 1960 British results, it is the party that draws from the upper tail of the wealth distribution that exhibits greater social distance.

Turning to the 2010 survey, respondents were asked whether they felt some-what or very unhappy at the prospect of inter-party marriage. Nearly half of the republicans in the sample (0.49) selected one of these options. The corresponding level of unhappiness was 0.33 among democrats. The difference in social distance between the parties was highly significant (p < .01). Unlike the thermometer data, where democrats and republicans showed roughly the same level of out-group negativity, republicans maintain greater social distance from democrats.

Going from a bare scattering to a third or half of people not wanting their children to cross party lines in their romantic life...you could argue that it's because of a greater genuine ideological distance between the parties of today, but it's still pretty amazing.

The paper also disagrees, though, that it's substantively because of policy disagreements:

quote:

In sum, the evidence presented above—the non-effects of sorting on the level of affective polarization, and the moderate to weak effects of policy preferences on net partisan affect—is at odds with the view that partisan affect is
driven primarily by ideological affinity. Instead, the data suggest that the two indicators tap distinct forms of polarization. The weak association between ideological and affective polarization is consistent with the vast literature demonstrating that partisan identity in the United States has only weak ideological underpinnings. For parties to be seen in ideological terms would require an awareness of their policy stances, yet most Americans have difficulty correctly locating parties on issue scales (see, e.g., delli carpini and keeter 1993). As we emphasize in the concluding section, partisan identities are primarily affective attachments.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Nov 7, 2017

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Just remember, the type of person who voted for trump is the kind of person like those coal miners who refused to get retrained and relocated into a better job after their coal mine closed down, simply because trump stopped by and said he would reopen it if they voted for him.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL, GREG
https://i.imgur.com/dBaldtG.gifv

That's incredible how the dog jumped through the side door and then bit the guy by passing through the center console. Good boy

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GrandpaPants posted:

The phrase is death by a thousand cuts...

A brave man only dies once, a coward dies a thousand deaths.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

all dogs are good

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Renegret posted:

all dogs are good

:wrong:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

i think you might owe a bit of an explanation for that, skullhead cyberperson.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

i think you might owe a bit of an explanation for that, skullhead cyberperson.

Last night, I was sitting on the porch having a cigarette. Headphones on watching something on my phone, and the neighbours dog runs up to me and starts barking bloody murder. I almost poo poo myself. That dog is not a good dog.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The General posted:

Last night, I was sitting on the porch having a cigarette. Headphones on watching something on my phone, and the neighbours dog runs up to me and starts barking bloody murder. I almost poo poo myself. That dog is not a good dog.

The facts show that it is still, in fact, a good dog.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The General posted:

he was alerting you that your habit is life threatening and very concerned for your safety naturally.

dog is good.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The General posted:

Dog tries to warn you about the health effects of your smoking habit and you think he's not a good boy?

e: fb

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://streamable.com/e68si
Sportsenfreude. I'm guessing the guy saw the white spot in his peripheral vision and assumed the ball had stopped there.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Just saw this guy make a pro-cat post in a different thread. Don't believe this cat-driven propaganda!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SpacePig posted:

Just saw this guy make a pro-cat post in a different thread. Don't believe this cat-driven propaganda!

Fake Mews

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't understand cryptocurrency, but this may be schadenfreude? Somebody's probably going to be pissed that their funny money disappeared.

https://boingboing.net/2017/11/07/one-person-permanently-locked.html

Cryptocurrency just continues to be the worst idea in the world, and people continue to pump endless amounts of money into fake electronic money that they have little hope of getting a return on because they're absolutely sure that this time the world will see the truth and make Bitcoin valid payment everywhere!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Cryptocurrency just continues to be the worst idea in the world, and people continue to pump endless amounts of money into fake electronic money that they have little hope of getting a return on because they're absolutely sure that this time the world will see the truth and make Bitcoin valid payment everywhere!

Nerds have reinvented 19th century financial scams. Truly the gilded age has come again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/bolivarescobar/status/927982052011659272

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Renegret posted:

all dogs are good

Kaethela posted:

The facts show that it is still, in fact, a good dog.

sneakyfrog posted:

he was alerting you that your habit is life threatening and very concerned for your safety naturally.

dog is good.

On the other hand, birds uber alles

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Weatherman posted:

On the other hand, birds uber alles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVIHjXDYWWE

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

WHOOPS

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Renegret posted:

all dogs are good

all cops are bastards

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

what about police dogs

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/lebassett/status/928066321958490113

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

U-DO Burger posted:

what about police dogs

I've heard some of them are real bitches

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:discourse:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:bisonyes:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is pretty drat cool for a lot of reasons.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Is that the house from Breaking Bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

:unsmith: