Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh 90s. :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

That… comic? Sure, let's go with that. That comic does make me wonder something. What does Rob Liefeld even do for a living these days? I mean, does he still get work doing art? Did he make good investments during Image's heyday? The guy's got to have an income source.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

ManiacClown posted:

That… comic? Sure, let's go with that. That comic does make me wonder something. What does Rob Liefeld even do for a living these days? I mean, does he still get work doing art? Did he make good investments during Image's heyday? The guy's got to have an income source.

Even pretty recently he's been paid big money to do comics because we do not live in the best of all possible worlds.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ManiacClown posted:

Doesn't he have part/full ownership over his Original Characters Do Not Steal™ for licensing? I would imagine between licensing for cartoons, movies and stunt guest writing/drawing for titles he's makes some good money. Man made a LOT of "X" characters including Deadpool and Cable.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ManiacClown posted:

Curating comics lines like the Extreme relaunch, getting royalties, being paid for Hollywood options that go nowhere, doing the convention circuit, and drawing art, including commissions, covers and comics pages

My question is why is Dale Keown in that comic, but Sam Kieth isn't? The Maxx started around the same time as Pitt

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Maxx was good, though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Better than Smax, at least.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm reading the first ever meeting of Batman and Superman and they should have done the movie with this continuity instead.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm reading the first ever meeting of Batman and Superman and they should have done the movie with this continuity instead.

This is so perfect because even if the fire hadn't suddenly lit up the room only a complete idiot wouldn't realize something's up when they both leave with the lights off.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Toshimo posted:

Better than Smax, at least.

We should do a funny panel off between Smax and the Maxx and see who wins.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

This is so perfect because even if the fire hadn't suddenly lit up the room only a complete idiot wouldn't realize something's up when they both leave with the lights off.

Bruce Wayne is used to undressing in a dark room with another man and leaving before either of them see one another's face, it's okay.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oh no, a fire outside.

Better go to sleep about it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I will never not love early comics

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I want to know the situation that puts a billionaire playboy sharing a twin room with a reporter. Did they all get stranded somewhere and that was the only room left in town or something?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It makes perfect sense!

Clark is Bruce's sponsor.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Push El Burrito posted:

Oh no, a fire outside.

Better go to sleep about it.

This was like every installment of the old serials. Vicky Vale would mention a crime or something and Bruce would suddenly go, "I'm gonna go take a nap."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Ashcans posted:

I want to know the situation that puts a billionaire playboy sharing a twin room with a reporter. Did they all get stranded somewhere and that was the only room left in town or something?

I know when the story got remade a few years back it was due to a gently caress up by rhe cruise ship company.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Billionaire Narcoleptic Superhero would be a good comic. I would read it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

bunnyofdoom posted:

I know when the story got remade a few years back it was due to a gently caress up by rhe cruise ship company.

Doesn't that one also rewrite it so that Bruce realizes Clark is Superman when he gets shot in front of him or something?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Push El Burrito posted:

Billionaire Narcoleptic Superhero would be a good comic. I would read it.

Not a billionaire, but that's pretty much what Sleepwalker was.

Dude couldn't do superhero stuff unless he was asleep so his alter-ego/whatever could get out and fight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepwalker_(comics)

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 7, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

That's exactly how it is in the original. Clark and Bruce are both taking a vacation coincidentally on the same ship, and they overbook and have to put them both in the same cabin.

They both make a gentleman's agreement to keep the other's identity a secret and work together on a diamond heist going on aboard, with Lois tagging along to get the scoop on it. They even do acrobatics in costume to entertain the passengers.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Keeshhound posted:

Doesn't that one also rewrite it so that Bruce realizes Clark is Superman when he gets shot in front of him or something?

Oh, he doesn't get shot IN FRONT of Bruce...

You may also be thinking of the time a young Clark crashed a boat party by pretending to be Bruce Wayne.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ImpAtom posted:

Bruce Wayne is used to undressing in a dark room with another man and leaving before either of them see one another's face, it's okay.

hooooooo

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Elfface posted:

You may also be thinking of the time a young Clark crashed a boat party by pretending to be Bruce Wayne.

this is amazing

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Seventh Arrow posted:

this is amazing

I feel like you could make an entire book out of Dethstroke's worst day, where he just keeps mistaking superheros for his assassination targets and using the wrong tools against them. :allears:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Seventh Arrow posted:

this is amazing

American Alien, absolutely recommended reading. Every issue is a different story of Clark growing up and gradually becoming the man we know. It's one of the best recent Superman stories.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Big fan of Fat Loki right here. I believe the world needs more of it.

Also I didn't realize early Thor was all about beating the poo poo out of commies.

Here he is sending Chinese tanks to India after disabling them.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

:byodood:

(Justice League Vol 4 - The Grid)

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

(some DC comic, late in 1978)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Seventh Arrow posted:

:byodood:

(Justice League Vol 4 - The Grid)

Ah, Billy, you are such a fan. (I'd use 'fanboy' but that seems harsh given it's usage these days.).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Not a billionaire, but that's pretty much what Sleepwalker was.

Dude couldn't do superhero stuff unless he was asleep so his alter-ego/whatever could get out and fight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepwalker_(comics)

I'm sorry, somebody mentioned Sleepwalker so I materialized into this thread to just note that Sleepwalker was great.

Even if it did lead to (wonderfully) contrived set-ups like this:

From Infinity Crusade issues 3 & 4.

I love Sleepwalker :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 8, 2017

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Sleepwalker is the hero we deserve.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Can you call the cops if your alter ego gives you roofies? :psyduck:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sorry somebody mentioned Sleepwalker so I materialized into this thread to just note that Sleepwalker was great.

Even if it did lead to (wonderfully) contrived set-ups like this:

From Infinity Crusade issues 3 & 4.

I love Sleepwalker :allears:

He roofied... himself? Ish?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seventh Arrow posted:

"Good news, he's going to prison. Bad news... you're going too."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm just devouring Ms. Marvel after starting it the other day. It's been so good. Here's when she meets Wolverine for the first time in issue #6.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Seventh Arrow posted:

You can't really do much at all when you're roofied. That's the whole point of roofied.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lobok posted:

I'm just devouring Ms. Marvel after starting it the other day. It's been so good. Here's when she meets Wolverine for the first time in issue #6.

In a better universe, the end of that comic is Wolverine revealing that his fanfics never get first place and he's really sad about it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I like the part a bit later, when Kamala finds out Logan doesn't have his powers.

"So... You're just a short angry guy who stabs things?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Elfface posted:

I like the part a bit later, when Kamala finds out Logan doesn't have his powers.

"So... You're just a short angry guy who stabs things?"

To which he says:
"I knew I liked you the minute I saw you."

The whole issue is good, though if I recall the "much athletic" doge meme joke got the bulk of the attention round these parts.