Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I just hit triangle repeatedly and that works ok. Sometimes I use a fireball when I remember I have fireballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pocket Billiards posted:

I loved DOS 1 generally. But there was a bit to much trial and error in terms of where you had to go. I.e. walk north and enemies were too high level, so reload and try west and so on.

that was all the trial and error, wasn't it?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

a bone to pick posted:

Witcher 3's combat system was fine, to say that any Elder Scrolls game has better combat is fully-retarded.

It's kinda mediocre, to be quite honest. If you want good combat, play a good, old-school brawler like fight'n rage.

Though people liking morrowind (swing the sword, hit someone with it, and have the game tell you you missed because your skill) is hilarious as gently caress.

But then, RPG players love lovely mechanics.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Panzeh posted:

It's kinda mediocre, to be quite honest. If you want good combat, play a good, old-school brawler like fight'n rage.

Though people liking morrowind (swing the sword, hit someone with it, and have the game tell you you missed because your skill) is hilarious as gently caress.

But then, RPG players love lovely mechanics.

cd projekt needs to outsource the combat mechanics for the next witcher game to platinum

something like right in the middle between witchers kinda slow, rather boring combat and metal gear rising's over the top ridiculousness

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I like how everyone defending the witcher's combat is jumping to 3s to defend it. The first game and likely that dude and many others only exposure had the most hilariously bad combat ever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Actually it was also fine.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I loved Original Sin one and still think 2 improves on it in every way.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

FoolyCharged posted:

I like how everyone defending the witcher's combat is jumping to 3s to defend it. The first game and likely that dude and many others only exposure had the most hilariously bad combat ever.

More people probably played Witcher 3 than the other games due to it being released on consoles and heavily hyped, so it's the game I assume people are talking about when they say "witcher"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

witcher combat was pretty okay once you got used to it, it just took a bit to get a feel for it

its not amazing combat but its better than something like dragon age 2 and 3, and skyrim's combat is among the worst ever.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 7, 2017

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

FoolyCharged posted:

No its the completely rear end backwards assertion that Skyrim combat is better is what is making everyone jump to thier feet and tell them theyre dumb

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I don’t think it’s unpopular to say Bungie’s “story” chops are pure poo poo

But to say the guns feel bad? My nigga you don’t know anything about FPSs

Id actually like to know which games do it better because the gunplay in Destiny 2 is close to flawless

The guns just feel so underwhelming. They look like they are made from cheap plastic and when they are fired it sounds like "pew pew pew", no bass whatsoever. It's just not satisfying to fire them.

Now Doom (2016), the new Wolfensteins, Killing Floor 2 have some guns with loving BALLS. When you shoot those it sounds like you are actually holding a deadly weapon. It also helps that the enemies are so much more satisfying to fight.

Destiny 2 gunplay is boring.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm curious about how good the combat is gonna be for Cyberpunk 2077, considering CDPR's track record for the Witcher's series

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

limp_cheese posted:

The guns just feel so underwhelming. They look like they are made from cheap plastic and when they are fired it sounds like "pew pew pew", no bass whatsoever. It's just not satisfying to fire them.

Now Doom (2016), the new Wolfensteins, Killing Floor 2 have some guns with loving BALLS. When you shoot those it sounds like you are actually holding a deadly weapon. It also helps that the enemies are so much more satisfying to fight.

Destiny 2 gunplay is boring.

Yeah this. All the guns look like cheap plastic toys. That said, the feel of shooting is okay but it's been done way better in other games.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Bungie has always had a solid feel with their guns but they rarely give you the kick you need.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it sucks that in a world with those 5 different WWII video games with virtually identical load outs , the sci-fi futuristic game doesn’t also feature the same 5 weapons used in all those other games...

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Super Mario Odyssey is just OK

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Any game that features Mario as a character or has his name in the title is for twelve year olds and adult autists who are addicted to fan-boyage like it's the new heroine.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

Any game that features Mario as a character or has his name in the title is for twelve year olds and adult autists who are addicted to fan-boyage like it's the new heroine.

lol :wrong: it's for people who enjoy video game entertainment, perhaps you should stop playin bubsy 3D kid, maybe you might graduate to something a bit more your style like Risky Woods or Rascal lol hahaha

using cards as a battle system is dumb, if i wanted to play a loving card game I'd use a deck of fuckin cards

playing poker and poo poo online is ok i guess, but haha people playing Pokemon: The Card Game: The Video Game and poo poo like that

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Good soup! posted:

perhaps you should stop playin bubsy 3D kid, maybe you might graduate to something a bit more your style like

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah it sucks that in a world with those 5 different WWII video games with virtually identical load outs , the sci-fi futuristic game doesn’t also feature the same 5 weapons used in all those other games...

Not sure what you mean. Destiny 2 had some of the same weapons as WW2 games just with some LEDs slapped on them and made of plastic. I was using a smg, pistol, rifle, and shotgun when I quit. How is that different than a WW2 game where you use the same kind of guns?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Come on man, you have to say “filthy casuals” before I can finish

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

fruit on the bottom posted:

Come on man, you have to say “filthy casuals” before I can finish

*Leans in close to fruit on the bottom's ear and whispers seductively*

filthy...loving...casuals.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm replaying Donkey Kong Country on my SNES classic and it's nowhere near as good as I remembered.

The save system sucks compared to the Mario World games; you have to beat a handful of levels to make it to the Candy Kong save barrel.

The hit detection seems off; I swear I'm safe but I'll get dinged by an enemy or miss a jump and fall into a hole.

The level difficulty is all over the place. I'll clear a level on the first try, then die 10 times on the next one.

The music is still awesome and I like the enemy and background designs, but I find myself getting frustrated with it and only playing for 20-30 minutes at a time before stopping.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Donkey Kong fooled a lot of people because of the amazing (for the time) graphics, but I always knew it was crap

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The closest thing Nintendo is getting to heroine is the beautiful Link in Breath Of The Wild

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

*Leans in close to fruit on the bottom's ear and whispers seductively*

filthy...loving...casuals.

:vince:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Verisimilidude posted:

Most Nintendo first party stuff is just sort of OK.

I bought most of the acclaimed games for the Wii U and didn't finish very many of them because i'd seen it all before.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kinda convinced now that the people who viscerally hate witcher 3's combat just aren't very good at it.

I spent like 30 minutes battling a royal wyrven last night and it was more stimulating than Shadow of War or Skyrim. Maybe not as good as the Souls games, though.

If you're going to compare Witcher 3's combat system to a Platinum game or beat-em-up then you kinda lost the plot. In terms of an action RPG it does a fine job.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The good part of Witcher 3's combat is the sense of preperation you have to do. Its set up during the witcher hunts when Geralt does magical CSI and tells the player everything about the monster and you prep yourself with various potions, bombs, decoctions and oils then you go and flail your sword around like an idiot using the bad combat until you win. It still feels good because the game allows you the opportunity to act like a real monster hunter even if the combat itself isnt that great

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Iirc you can just chug down potions in the middle of a fight, though I played the game like a year ago so I might be remembering wrong.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
^^you can and I almost wish applying oils, potions, etc. was an out of combat only sort of thing, but that's a lot of systems/fights to rework

They should have let you misidentify the monsters your tracking so when you do finally face off against it and realize you hosed up youd have to think on the fly

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Unpopular opinion:

L4D1 was better than L4D2 but I don't know why

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Unpopular opinion:

Same. I'm not sure if it was all the added complexity or if i just burned out on the series by playing the first one to death but l4d2 never really clicked for me.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Unpopular opinion:

If there was ever an unpopular opinion this is it.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
l4d1 feels like a zombie movie. l4d2 feels like a funhouse with zombie trimmings.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a bone to pick posted:

I'm kinda convinced now that the people who viscerally hate witcher 3's combat just aren't very good at it.

I spent like 30 minutes battling a royal wyrven last night and it was more stimulating than Shadow of War or Skyrim. Maybe not as good as the Souls games, though.

If you're going to compare Witcher 3's combat system to a Platinum game or beat-em-up then you kinda lost the plot. In terms of an action RPG it does a fine job.

yeah, I agree. I'm p bad so it's punishing sometimes but I always feel like I know what mistake I've made, and dancing round a mob of drowners picking them apart is fun when you get the rhythm.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Unpopular opinion:

The l4d maps are better and l4d2 is kinda poo poo tbh

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

L4D2 had some nice additions but it ws really just L4D1.5 and honestly that game needed one more iteration and it would have been darn near perfect. There really should have been a useful replacement for each of the consumables, the ones L4D2 introduced really didnt replace pills and medkits at all nobody would ever take the defib or the epinephrine unless they didnt have pills or a medkit already

I would have liked to see more of the deployable ammo and stuff too

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Verisimilidude posted:

Nintendo’s consoles have very few games and are technologically archaic, so reviewers have to inflate the scores of their big first party franchises like Zelda and Mario to try make their consoles seem at least somewhat competitive with the real consoles from Sony and Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As opposed to Xbox, which makes No games to demonstrate its awesome processing power