Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Quick interest check since Morrowind is on sale: Does Xbone a decent goon population? I was thinking about jumping in as long as there are people to kill giant monsters/shitpost with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

TheHoosier posted:

Quick interest check since Morrowind is on sale: Does Xbone a decent goon population? I was thinking about jumping in as long as there are people to kill giant monsters/shitpost with

Ask DoriDori240 about his experience playing ESO on XBone and learn why he came to PC. It's, uh, well..

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Ask DoriDori240 about his experience playing ESO on XBone and learn why he came to PC. It's, uh, well..

Ill assume it's bad. That sucks; my pc is dead and I wanted to play this again, especially with MW for cheap

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
I wish they would bring the console's voice chat to PC.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

TheHoosier posted:

Ill assume it's bad. That sucks; my pc is dead and I wanted to play this again, especially with MW for cheap

My take on his stories is that, overall, if you have even a 5-year-old laptop of middling quality you'd still be better off. Also, we have addons! And a lot of goons doing lots of different content so you'll always find someone to run dungeons with or even just craft you food if you need it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So I haven't played an mmo since guild wars 1, what am I getting myself into. Should I make a dark elf nightblade. How do I know if any of the DLC is good

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 7, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So I haven't played an mmo since guild wars 1, what am I getting myself into. Should I make a dark elf nightblade. How do I know if any of the DLC is good

In short, this plays much more like an action game than most MMOs, any race/class combination is viable except in the most advanced content at veteran level (and dark elf isn't a bad choice for a magicka nightblade build). Respecing stats and/or skills is cheap (in gold, not real money) so you can't screw anything up irreparably even if you make every newbie mistake possible.

None of the DLC is bad. If you aren't subscribing and want to buy DLC separately, DO NOT get Shadows of the Hist or Horns of the Reach, as they have nothing to offer a new player. General consensus is Orsinium is the best DLC, and I highly recommend Thieves' Guild as well. Subscribing is definitely worth it once you decide you like the game—you get access to all content DLC except Morrowind, in addition to the other perks

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 7, 2017

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I have a magic nightblade Dunmer as well and you'll love him. You lack a lot of AOE starting out compared to some other classes, but your main attack heals yourself/others with BLOOD MAGIC.

Search Dori's posts, he wrote a really good magblade guide that's probably still up to date. Boilerplate advice, go slow your first toon, do every quest, explore. If you grind to get to max level, you're really doing yourself a huge disservice. Put every level up into magic. Use either an inferno or lightning staff. Try to wear 5 pieces of light armor at all times.

Also magblade seems made for Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLC. You have a "you invisible for 4 seconds" spell. Cast it a lot, run straight to your assassination target, profit.

Aramek fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 7, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Don't buy any DLC starting off imo until you decide you like the game, then if you really like the game I suggest subscribing rather than buying DLC piecemeal, as Aramek said, take it slow, play it like a single player ESO game* and enjoy the world and quests (there are garbage quests etc, but a lot of it is fun and has interesting tid bits you run into). Run random dungeons once a day with goons once you get to level 10 for a big XP boost + skill point the first time you do a dungeon.

*The whole game can be soloed outside of world bosses, trials (raids), some group delves in craglorn and some group dungeons. So you can literally play 95% of the game solo.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

None of the DLC is bad. If you aren't subscribing and want to buy DLC separately, DO NOT get Shadows of the Hist or Horns of the Reach, as they have nothing to offer a new player. General consensus is Orsinium is the best DLC, and I highly recommend Thieves' Guild as well. Subscribing is definitely worth it once you decide you like the game—you get access to all content DLC except Morrowind, in addition to the other perks

I thought you got to go to morrowind if you subscribed. I'm pretty much done if I don't.

Edit: Yep, that kinda tanks my enthusiasm. "Access to all DLC (except this one we named a chapter so we don't have to let you play it.")

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Agents are GO! posted:

I thought you got to go to morrowind if you subscribed. I'm pretty much done if I don't.

Edit: Yep, that kinda tanks my enthusiasm. "Access to all DLC (except this one we named a chapter so we don't have to let you play it.")

Heh - I just found that out the hard way. I subscribed thinking I would get Morrowind. BIG NOPE

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Last year, they announced how all future content packs would work:

4 quarters a year, two of them are DLC areas/zones, one of them are DLC dungeons, and one is a full expansion. Expansions will always be separate purchases.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is morrowind that important? I got the deal that came with it so all I've done is vvardenfell but it doesn't really look like that big a part of the map.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Snowy posted:

Is morrowind that important? I got the deal that came with it so all I've done is vvardenfell but it doesn't really look like that big a part of the map.

It seems important if you like big mushroom trees

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

arbybaconator posted:

It seems important if you like big mushroom trees

Actually I do like that very much. Now I'm sad to hear the rest won't have them :smith:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Right, so I'll probably put my Nightblade (lvl25) on hold for a while. Being two-shotted 18 times in a row by the same quest boss after trying out every spec I could find made me want to try something with just a little bit more solo survivability. :(

Any suggestions?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Snowy posted:

Actually I do like that very much. Now I'm sad to hear the rest won't have them :smith:

It’s the only reason I play the game

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Comrade Koba posted:

Right, so I'll probably put my Nightblade (lvl25) on hold for a while. Being two-shotted 18 times in a row by the same quest boss after trying out every spec I could find made me want to try something with just a little bit more solo survivability. :(

Any suggestions?

You really shouldn't have issues like that, are you trying to kill a group boss? Some quests do involve group bosses (repeatable quests only iirc)

One of your main skills heals you, so honestly you should have no issues soloing anything that isn't the group content.

Someone that actually has played an NB can tell you what skill you should be using, but what quest are you doing and what mob is owning you?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
There are quests in Stonefalls that lead you to Crow's Wood which is a group public dungeon but it's not clearly marked as such on your quest log. Got killed a lot before I twigged it was a much bigger jump in difficulty than a delve, still soloable at later levels/mid CP.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snowy posted:

It's a pretty big area with lots of quests and a lot more content than any of the DLCs do, especially the lovely hist one which is literally just two dungeons

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MF_James posted:

You really shouldn't have issues like that, are you trying to kill a group boss? Some quests do involve group bosses (repeatable quests only iirc)

One of your main skills heals you, so honestly you should have no issues soloing anything that isn't the group content.

Someone that actually has played an NB can tell you what skill you should be using, but what quest are you doing and what mob is owning you?

It’s Chodala, the false Nerevarine from the Morrowind main quest. I use all the self-healing I have available, but his attacks still kill me in a couple of hits. After I dodge the fiery AoE, he does some sort of teleporting body slam that completely wrecks me if it hits.
I’ve tried using a bow, but then I just get showered with undodgeable homing fireballs.

It might just be me making some dumb mistake, but I really can’t think of any strategy that would work.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

It’s Chodala, the false Nerevarine from the Morrowind main quest. I use all the self-healing I have available, but his attacks still kill me in a couple of hits. After I dodge the fiery AoE, he does some sort of teleporting body slam that completely wrecks me if it hits.
I’ve tried using a bow, but then I just get showered with undodgeable homing fireballs.

It might just be me making some dumb mistake, but I really can’t think of any strategy that would work.

Might need to block her stuff? Unsure, I plowed all of this stuff with a <50 magsorc and a max level stamsorc, I don't block or dodge things usually.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Have you outleveled your equipment by a significant amount? When I was having trouble with solo content while leveling, it was inevitably that.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MF_James posted:

Might need to block her stuff? Unsure, I plowed all of this stuff with a <50 magsorc and a max level stamsorc, I don't block or dodge things usually.

I block and dodge, but since I get taken out by a couple of lucky hits I’m finding it hard to block, dodge, reposition and deal damage at the same time. If I’m lucky I can get him down to 70% or so before I make a minor slip that ends up killing me.

Rollersnake posted:

Have you outleveled your equipment by a significant amount? When I was having trouble with solo content while leveling, it was inevitably that.

Depends what you mean by significant, I guess. I’m 25, my gear is 18-23 or thereabouts. I don’t have enough gold to buy gear upgrades, so I’m mostly relying on quest rewards.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

I died over and over to some mobs, I had some success with using a resto staff in the back bar and just boring some mobs to death that hit insanely hard but there were some that just did more damage than I could heal through at lower levels.

I would just leave some of the quests and come back at a later stage, would find gear improvement and skill improvement made a big difference. Not sure what access you have to absorption shields outside of annulment, the sorcerer one atm gives me 12.6k, only lasts 6 seconds but I am on it like crack now. I still die when getting chain knocked down by multiple mobs but thankfully that is rare.

As far as I am aware, almost everything can be done with other people, if something just isn't working then just get someone to help you with something.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Comrade Koba posted:

I block and dodge, but since I get taken out by a couple of lucky hits I’m finding it hard to block, dodge, reposition and deal damage at the same time. If I’m lucky I can get him down to 70% or so before I make a minor slip that ends up killing me.

Depends what you mean by significant, I guess. I’m 25, my gear is 18-23 or thereabouts. I don’t have enough gold to buy gear upgrades, so I’m mostly relying on quest rewards.

On your nightblade, are you stamina based or magicka based? Leveling with the latter is much easier, and you can always switch to stam later. But confirm which class style (stam or mag) you are, and we can help you further.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DoriDori240 posted:

On your nightblade, are you stamina based or magicka based? Leveling with the latter is much easier, and you can always switch to stam later. But confirm which class style (stam or mag) you are, and we can help you further.

Stamina. I was told they’re easier to play, but I don’t know if it’s true.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Well, imo, the stamblade is the squishiest thing in the game. You should be running DW/Bow as your weapons. Morph flurry to Bloodthirst, and whatever morph of the rending slashes is a heal. Keep doing those so you actually won't die every fight. Between those and making sure the enemies stand in your endless rain from bow, everything should melt really fast.

In fact, endless rain + steel tornado for all AOE packs is a pretty instant combo of death.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Don't buy things sub-CP160, ask goon friends (aka anyone in guild) to make things for you, @jstuart00 is me, I'll make things, as will 100 other goons. Everyone in guild is super helpful and will gladly help out new guys with gear and poo poo.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, next year is Smaller DLC, Chapter (which is going to be Summerset or Zenimax is doing the most ridiculous Fake Foreshadowing known to man), Dungeons, Smaller DLC.

I'd presume the possibility the next DLC will be Morrowind-related because Vvardenfell, but possibly not.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Can I get an invite to the NA guild? @arbybaconator

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Q1 = Free Update (I think)
Q2 = Expansion
Q3 = Dungeon Pack (a la SotH and HotR)
Q4 = Smaller DLC (a la TG/DB/CC)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

This is what they said around the time of Morrowind:

quote:

Because we will be regularly introducing Chapters to ESO, we are going to make a small revision to our content delivery cadence, starting this year. We will continue to ship quarterly updates to the game – each with a base patch that has all the balance, quality of life, and bug fixes that you have come to expect. Additionally, we'll have a DLC in the first quarter of each year, a Chapter in the second quarter, a dungeon-based DLC in the third quarter, and a DLC in the 4th quarter.

So I presume that its two "Story" DLCs a year in Q1 and Q4 plus a Chapter in Q2 and Dungeon DLC in Q3.

Not that I trust anything is really set in stone with ZoS' DLC plans indefinitely, though to their credit since console release they've at least been on track releasing something every quarter.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Berke Negri posted:

This is what they said around the time of Morrowind:

So I presume that its two "Story" DLCs a year in Q1 and Q4 plus a Chapter in Q2 and Dungeon DLC in Q3.

Not that I trust anything is really set in stone with ZoS' DLC plans indefinitely, though to their credit since console release they've at least been on track releasing something every quarter.

Zenimax just announce one of the DLC's will now be an "episode".

Episodesarenotincludedwithesoplustermsandconditionsmayapply

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Aramek posted:

Well, imo, the stamblade is the squishiest thing in the game. You should be running DW/Bow as your weapons. Morph flurry to Bloodthirst, and whatever morph of the rending slashes is a heal. Keep doing those so you actually won't die every fight. Between those and making sure the enemies stand in your endless rain from bow, everything should melt really fast.

In fact, endless rain + steel tornado for all AOE packs is a pretty instant combo of death.

Thanks for the tip! I managed to beat the boss on my second try after respeccing to magblade. :dance:

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 9, 2017

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

arbybaconator posted:

Can I get an invite to the NA guild? @arbybaconator

Sent it earlier today. Hope you got it!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What's the most brainless build that gives good healing along with the damage skills? I'm trying Stam DK and I really don't like the feel of the healing on the rending slashes heal to keep me topped up

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

If you wanna stick with StamDK, the only other heal is the Bloodthirst morph of Flurry. That's just a damage spam that heals you.

If you're thinking about another character, there's a bunch of options. Magplar and Magsorc probably on the top for the "hit things and it heals you" but Stamsorc will do that too. Stamsorc is essentially all the healing from DW plus their class Surge.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Rending slashes isn't really going to cut it, it's a nice little bit of healing but you're going to need a real "oh crap" button. If you're doing a heavy attack stamDK you might want to consider slotting Green Dragon Blood for a bit of self-healing, or better, if you've done some PVP slot Vigor. Anytime someone is doing solo or 4-player stuff I recommend bringing some kind of strong self-heal on either bar just in case. Bloodthirst can work too, as long as you have stamina it can be pretty hard to die spamming it, though only for healing as your actual damage will be coming from your heavy attacks and DoTs. With the right passives DKs also heal whenever they use their ultimate.

Stamsorc is probably the easiest to play of the stam dual-wield types cause you just pop surge and heal yourself everytime you crit (all stam builds will be critting constantly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Can I get a NA guild invite? @vhadka_martini