Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
i mean my guess is gator isn't going to put up that much of a fight for him, especially if they gently caress around and lose to usf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think they’re gonna smoke USF but he’d be a really good candidate either way

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
r/ockytop is losing their minds because Gruden just said volunteers on MNF.

Something like "they gotta look for some volunteers, I remember when I was coaching"

Those people are literally insane.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Joey Freshwater posted:

r/ockytop is losing their minds because Gruden just said volunteers on MNF.

Something like "they gotta look for some volunteers, I remember when I was coaching"

Those people are literally insane.

Why are you going on Reddit?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Because I'm bored and it's entertaining to see them get so worked up

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

College football reddit is good

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

MourningView posted:

College football reddit is good

The only thing I don't like about r/cfb (and reddit as a whole) are the nested comment format. Is there a method people use that doesn't make following a conversation impossible?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Chieves posted:

The only thing I don't like about r/cfb (and reddit as a whole) are the nested comment format. Is there a method people use that doesn't make following a conversation impossible?

But that's exactly how conversations on reddit happen. Follow a comment tree to its end then collapse it back to whatever starting point you want then find the next branch, read it and collapse and so on. Honestly, I barely even collapse stuff, your brain will adjust to the flow and your eyes will be able to tell you who is responding to who without having to scroll back and see how the comments align. Just takes a bit of time. If a comment tree contains like more than 5 branches and they aren't wordy replies they're doing memes or song lyrics and you can instantly ignore it. It can get super circle jerky but that comes with the territory of any big site unless you're like SA and openly punish that kind of stuff.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 7, 2017

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Crotch Bat posted:

But that's exactly how conversations on reddit happen. Follow a comment tree to its end then collapse it back to whatever starting point you want then find the next branch, read it and collapse and so on. Honestly, I barely even collapse stuff, your brain will adjust to the flow and your eyes will be able to tell you who is responding to who without having to scroll back and see how the comments align. Just takes a bit of time. If a comment tree contains like more than 5 branches and they aren't wordy replies they're doing memes or song lyrics and you can instantly ignore it. It can get super circle jerky but that comes with the territory of any big site unless you're like SA and openly punish that kind of stuff.

So, no, actual message boards work. gently caress the Reddit format.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Tom Herman had a presser yesterday where he was emphatic no staff changes this year and he values consistency over all else. So he's hitching his success to Beck.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Neil Armbong posted:

Tom Herman had a presser yesterday where he was emphatic no staff changes this year and he values consistency over all else. So he's hitching his success to Beck.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Neil Armbong posted:

That may very well end up being true, but that's also exactly what he should say at this point regardless. Publicly undermining his staff at this stage has no real benefit and potentially hurts recruiting, etc. Not much different than an AD saying they have total confidence in a coach when there have been bad results and everyone is asking if the coach's job is safe. Or a hot commodity G5 coach saying they haven't given any thought to taking their dream P5 job that just opened up. These are the things you say right up until something else is official.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 7, 2017

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Thermos H Christ posted:

That may very well end up being true, but that's also exactly what he should say at this point regardless. Publicly undermining his staff at this stage has no real benefit and potentially hurts recruiting, etc. Not much different than an AD saying they have total confidence in a coach when there have been bad results and everyone is asking if the coach's job is safe. Or a hot commodity G5 coach saying they haven't given any thought to taking their dream P5 job that just opened up. These are the things you say right up until something else is official.

I mean, there's always a chance, but he gave a bit more of the can't just turn things around immediately and whatnot, so I legit think he's serious and Beck will be back. The news anchor was surprisingly aware of what the internet was talking about by opening about all the online chatter about how this mirrors what Strong did.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
5* OT Cade Mays decommits from UT. He's a Knoxville native so hopefully the next coach can get him back on board but he's planning on signing his LOI before the Army All American game so there's likely not much time.

Why does Butch still have a job again?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Lots of info here about Mac's firing

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21272643/inside-story-split-florida-gators-football-coach-jim-mcelwain

Couple of highlights:

Death threats were real I guess? Apparently Mac and his wife got FB messages with threatening messages and Mac refused to give the info to the UAA.

The administration was really pissed about Mac dumping on them publicly about the facilities.

They encouraged him to make changes to the strength and conditioning staff because guys were basically making up their own workouts and he refused.

They wanted him to move on from Nuss and he refused.

also lol

quote:

With the Gators trailing 21-0 at the half in their eventual loss to Georgia, Spurrier walked through the press box and asked a handful of reporters, "What happened to the forward pass?"

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Jew it to it! posted:

So, no, actual message boards work. gently caress the Reddit format.

I'm a fan of threaded comments. I think they scale better to huge groups. Twenty people at once in a normal message board thread can turn into a clusterfuck. Like, go back in time a few years and try keeping a conversation going with someone in the middle of a big bowl game thread here.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

This is in line with another article that I read a few days ago. You've got to keep the peace with your boss, even when you're earning millions of dollars.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
He's a loving idiot is all I can say if that article is true. Refusing to move on from Nuss is one thing but he was apparently too stubborn to even revamp the strength and conditioning staff.

And the fact that "sec championship game two years in a row" is mentioned in like every other sentence in that article is just lol. Mac's tenure is exhibit A on why it's perfectly fine to root against your team sometimes. Those two championship game appearances (and some of Muschamp's earlier seasons) have destroyed the Florida program for the near future.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Jordanis posted:

I'm a fan of threaded comments. I think they scale better to huge groups. Twenty people at once in a normal message board thread can turn into a clusterfuck. Like, go back in time a few years and try keeping a conversation going with someone in the middle of a big bowl game thread here.

We used to use the N/V threads for effortposting on game days but the NCAA crowd got small enough that it isn't necessary I guess

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

nachos posted:

He's a loving idiot is all I can say if that article is true. Refusing to move on from Nuss is one thing but he was apparently too stubborn to even revamp the strength and conditioning staff.

The scuttlebutt was that his recruiting (e.g. recruits reporting poorly arranged/confusing campus visits) was a disorganized mess, to boot. But take recruiting gossip with a grain of salt, I suppose.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LLCoolJD posted:

The scuttlebutt was that his recruiting (e.g. recruits reporting poorly arranged/confusing campus visits) was a disorganized mess, to boot.

So you're saying he was too interested in sharks to care?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ehud posted:

also lol

god bless spurdog :patriot:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

How in the hell do you have such bad S&C coaching that guys are left on their own? How could any head coach not see that as a problem?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dango Bango posted:

How in the hell do you have such bad S&C coaching that guys are left on their own? How could any head coach not see that as a problem?

Dunno.

*looks in the direction of Oregon*

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Ehud posted:

also lol

McMahon falling out of his chair dot gif @ that Spurdog quote

iospace posted:

Dunno.

*looks in the direction of Oregon*

This also

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/HamptonKevin/status/927726766256353280

Alright.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Zero reason not to give him a shot.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

it can't be worse.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hell I’d take Les in Knoxville at this point.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Excuse me, but his son is a backup fullback at Nebraska, and

(I'd take him too)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Mike Leach turned Wazzu into something respectable, Les could do the same at Oregon State.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Pakled posted:

Mike Leach turned Wazzu into something respectable, Les could do the same at Oregon State.

:agreed:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Pakled posted:

Oregon State is probably a much harder job than Wazzu. Mike Riley was a goddamn wizard.

Between 1970 and 1999, OSU had zero winning seasons. Wazzu had ten.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 7, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JesustheDarkLord posted:

We used to use the N/V threads for effortposting on game days but the NCAA crowd got small enough that it isn't necessary I guess

Even when we had super busy gameday threads only like four people used the effort post one (I was one of the four).

Crotch Bat posted:

A place where recruiting is going to suck regardless of the coach is a bad spot for Les. They should do something weird and different and hire an option guy or something like that

Pakled posted:

Those two aren’t comparable at all other than being famous head coaches. Leach’s offense is specifically designed to mask talent disadvantages, Les basically requires a massive talent advantage, unless he’s going to suddenly radically change his style of play or his approach to coaching

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 8, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

The scuttlebutt was that his recruiting (e.g. recruits reporting poorly arranged/confusing campus visits) was a disorganized mess, to boot. But take recruiting gossip with a grain of salt, I suppose.

Didn't Doronin talk about Mac and Nuss ignoring a 5* junior QB at a summer camp? Seems plausible. And really dumb.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

Unless he's miserable living in Oregon, he'd be crazy to leave.

He has to drive 64 miles to get reasonable fried chicken

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/1/28/14424578/willie-taggart-popeyes-tweet

Hopefully he likes craft beer, weed, and chilly weather in the winter.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Didn't Doronin talk about Mac and Nuss ignoring a 5* junior QB at a summer camp? Seems plausible. And really dumb.

If I remember right it may not have even been a camp and the kid and his dad were just there for a visit both couldn’t get attention from anyone.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I remember that story and iirc Nuss basically ignored the kid at a camp and Mac found out afterwards and was furious but it was too late

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

DJExile posted:

god bless spurdog :patriot:

This immediately had me looking up old Hatin' rear end Spurrier articles, but man sometimes there's just no substitute for the real thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Raku posted:

I remember that story and iirc Nuss basically ignored the kid at a camp and Mac found out afterwards and was furious but it was too late

so furious that he continued to employ Nuss, architect of the most constipated offense in the SEC

• Locked thread