Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's the problem with indines' name exactly, idgi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's hard to pronounce and by extension talk about.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hey there Board Game Thread, I am going to be playing "Bloodrage" with some friends this coming weekend. I have never played it before but one of my friends has played it excessively; I love to beat said friend at boardgames. Therefore, does anyone have any advice or a link to a good write up on the game? I dont want to spend hours watching LPs of it or anything, but maybe just reading common strong strategies and/or trying to gain some card knowledge beforehand. Can anyone help me out?

Here was my experience: my friend eased me into Blood Rage by not drafting the first 2 rounds, then drafting the 3rd round. For my first game this was fine as I was learning the ropes. For my second game they did the same thing because it was my GF's first time, and I realized someone was hoarding all the Loki cards. Lo and behold, I lose horribly because one person who knew the game managed to by chance snag them all and completely ruin me. I will no longer play without drafting unless everyone is beginners or I am so wasted as to not care. Basically, if you want to be prepared, look at the cards ahead of time, be aware of the strategies the cards lend themselves to, and insist on drafting. Make sure one person does not end up with all Loki cards. Also don't think of it as a typical DotM game, getting those objectives tends to be what matters (and being in the right place when the age ends). Monsters are cool, but (in my limited experience) don't often end up the gamechangers you expect them to be despite their cool-rear end sculpts. The End.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm just jealous because my mate got his copy like 2 weeks ago and I didn't

Did he get the base game and did you get add-ons?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Re: Bloodrage chat

!Klams posted:

GrandpaPants posted:

Each god is pretty much tied to its own strategy that should be pretty immediately obvious, but the one to watch out for is Loki. If someone drafts all the Loki cards, they will basically be playing a different game with its own victory track that can be really difficult to stop since they win by losing (and also win by winning?). The really dangerous one is the one that nets Loki points for each dude released from Valhalla, especially since there are also quests that require the same goal. Also just be aware that there are combat cards that can be played after other cards are played, so they can be a nasty surprise. Really, all the ones that do something besides having a number are nasty surprises, so ask to read through the cards beforehand if you can.

Other than that, it's pretty standard area control strategy.
Yeah, so when we played it, I was the only one going for the Loki stuff and I lapped everyone on the score track. They only realised what I was doing at the end of the second round, because that's when it all started triggering, and then they couldn't really stop me doing it all again in the third round, so I think it's something you really have to be aware of. I know that another of my friends won that way too on his first go. I strongly suspect there's some kind of rock paper scissors thing going on, but no one is going for the foil to the Loki plan in these games.
Thanks guys! Even stuff like that is super helpful when I have never seen the game before.

Dancer posted:

I don't know blood rage, but for quoestions like that the BGG forums for the specific game are often your best bet.
I've tried looking there ahead of time for other games and never felt like it helped me that much but maybe I need to take a closer look. I'll check it out. Thank you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the problem with indines' name exactly, idgi.

When I first saw it typed I confused it with Indians or India. BattleCON isn't terribly memorable on its own, but they could've come up with something far better than Devastation of Fake Name.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Krazyface posted:

It's hard to pronounce and by extension talk about.

/ɪn'daɪnz/ ? /ɪn'di:nz/ ?

/'i:ndɪnz/ ?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's level 99 so I just assumed it is pronounced indie NES

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, that seems way more likely.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Got to learn and play Clans of Caledonia over the weekend with my GF and we both are quite fond of it, she even more so.

I have only played Terra Mystica once so the comparisons to it are going to be impossible for me to make beyond the surface similarities, but in general I agree with what someone posted here a little while ago that it's a mish-mash of a bunch of different Euros. Each of the clans play very differently and while I feel like some are better than others so far (Stewart, Buchanan appear weak, MacKenzie and Campbell really strong) they all provide a neat path toward victory. Money is for the most part very very tight so every dollar has to spent wisely, which could lead to more AP prone players maybe spending a bit longer on their turns mathing out the optimal good/building and location to expand.

The rules are also very simple and intuitive with very little room for confusion outside of some early game questions involving distances over lochs and end game settlement situations.

The components are very very nice, and the KS edition with the metal coins are the first I've ever owned for a board game and I love them, so much so that the ones for Scythe are now calling me.

With more plays I'll be able to narrow down my thoughts but so far it seems to a great pickup and I'm excited to get it out on the table at higher play counts to really see how the neighbour bonuses take effect.

We also learned Haspelknecht and that was a doozy. Not going to go into the rules too much but basically you're running a coal mining operation in Germany way back before it was cool. In order to do this you and your opponents take different coloured discs that have been randomly added from a bag of limited variety and then in turn use them to activate various members of your coal mining team. The trick is that when you take a coloured disc, you have to take all of the colour available, and you are not allowed to have more than five, except under a very special circumstance. Also, each disc (black, brown, gold) corresponds to being able to activate certain actions of your workers, gold being food/money for your contract workers (and everyone else for that matter), brown being for acquiring wood, and black for coal and water removal.

Speaking of water removal, you're going to be fighting the forces of nature that insist on flooding your diggin' hole at every opportunity, and at certain times when you've got X amounts of water tokens in your mines you are prevented for taking normal actions requiring you to take time to get rid of that poo poo. This is not too huge a problem but definitely requires you to be conscious of taking care of it before you get hosed on a turn you wanted to actually take profit and are forced to waste a season (three action turns, one scoring, and three rounds total) cleaning up.

Anyway, the game is very tight and with little room for error. The way discs are available for selection is sufficiently random enough to create variety each turn with your abilities, while not turning the entire thing in a crapshoot. Furthermore, the opportunity to buy development tiles is quite fun and rewarding, especially when you get the ones that allow you to build additions to your farm. The components are gorgeous and while the art style may not appeal to everyone, seems appropriately dour and grimey for the theme. It also plays very quickly for a game I was expecting to take much longer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Picking up a few new games this week (used or resold NIS).

Nations
Origins
Harbour
Planet Steam
Innovation
Field Commander: Napolean

Origins is mostly just for curiousity's sake as I don't have any Eklund games, and Field Commander is me seeing what a solo wargame looks like, but I'm really looking forward to giving the other ones a shot.

I'm most interested in Nations - my kid watched a video of it last night and while it seems fairly complicated it also seems language-independant enough for him to handle. It's a different take on the production / engine-building that he seems to enjoy the most, but he really liked the look of it.

It's his birthday very soon and he said he'd like the game as the main present. Good enough for me.

I'm thinking that I'll probably set something up for Nations like The Colonists provided out of the box (if it doesn't exist). The Colonists has a two player "learning game" which is just a guided demo of the game. It really helped in teaching him the rules without geting overwhelmed.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I am out of the loop. What is the new hotness that I should pick up at PAX next weekend

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

From what I remember of Haspelknecht, I enjoyed the way that getting more valuable action tokens puts you later on turn order. The development tiles are a nice way to add strategy to a rather tactical game, but I enjoy the shift from easy surface coal mining to tedious shaft mining. '

The Jaipur app is pretty good. The campaign adds a bunch of game variants, and I hope they put in a new edition with those variants soon. The hardest AI is pretty good, and I think it is sometimes a good idea to open up the market at times. Jaipur has always been a quick and somewhat luck-based game, but I feel like it is less luck-based than Star Realms. At the very least, I have yet to feel like I've lost the game in the first five turns in Jaipur, unlike Star Realms.

EDIT: How does Nations compare against Through the Ages?

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 7, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm most interested in Nations - my kid watched a video of it last night and while it seems fairly complicated it also seems language-independant enough for him to handle. It's a different take on the production / engine-building that he seems to enjoy the most, but he really liked the look of it.

Nations is actually pretty simple, or at least really easy to remember, once you've played even a single game. The core of the game is such: you assign (deploy) guys to buildings/military (this costs rocks), you buy new cards (this costs money), or you take an architect and make progress on a wonder that you've bought before (this also costs rocks, usually). Each player does one of these, or passes, until everyone has passed. Then you sorta just count your income, check wars, and go to the next round.

There's weird stuff like how battles work (you use the highest raid value of military that you have guys assigned to, regardless of how many guys are assigned there), how military and stability works (they aren't produced, per se, they are just set. So at any point you can count all the military/stability modifiers on your board and know exactly how much you should have at that moment), and how events work (if people are tied for the penalty they both lose poo poo. If people are tied for the reward, no one gets poo poo).

Stuff like that. There's a solo game to play, but it doesn't really help as there are weird rules in how the AI works, how architects are set up, etc.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kashuno posted:

I feel like I am out of the loop. What is the new hotness that I should pick up at PAX next weekend

Clans of Caledonia, 18CZ, or Gaia project if they have them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

Nations is actually pretty simple, or at least really easy to remember, once you've played even a single game. The core of the game is such: you assign (deploy) guys to buildings/military (this costs rocks), you buy new cards (this costs money), or you take an architect and make progress on a wonder that you've bought before (this also costs rocks, usually). Each player does one of these, or passes, until everyone has passed. Then you sorta just count your income, check wars, and go to the next round.

There's weird stuff like how battles work (you use the highest raid value of military that you have guys assigned to, regardless of how many guys are assigned there), how military and stability works (they aren't produced, per se, they are just set. So at any point you can count all the military/stability modifiers on your board and know exactly how much you should have at that moment), and how events work (if people are tied for the penalty they both lose poo poo. If people are tied for the reward, no one gets poo poo).

Stuff like that. There's a solo game to play, but it doesn't really help as there are weird rules in how the AI works, how architects are set up, etc.

That’s kind of how it looked like to me yeah. Glad to hear that my impressions were correct.

Have you had a chance to play it much yet?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

That’s kind of how it looked like to me yeah. Glad to hear that my impressions were correct.

Have you had a chance to play it much yet?

Oh man, no, I wish. I've played it three times total, and only once since I bought it (solo).

Edit: Oh make sure you understand what it means when you don't have enough resources something during production or famine. The rulebook words it really strangely, but from what I can gather:

If you need to pay X resources that you don't have, you lose X books and 1 VP.

If you need to pay X books (either from some production, or because you don't have enough resources for something), you lose 1 VP and X resources of your choice.

You can only ever lose 1 VP per resource per round. So even if you don't have a single resource and have to pay for all of them, at most you're losing 4 VP, one for stone, one for gold, one for books, and one for food. Even if you have to lose books for multiple resources, and you don't have enough books for any of them, you only lose the 1 VP for insufficient amounts of books.

Feel free to correct me if that's the case.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 7, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo this is a big box

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I don't think anyone is ever truly prepared for how goddamn big the Gloomhaven box is. And it's not wasted space, either, it's just straight-up full of stuff.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't think anyone is ever truly prepared for how goddamn big the Gloomhaven box is. And it's not wasted space, either, it's just straight-up full of stuff.

I had a copy of the first print preordered through my FLGS. They had three set up on a table to get a picture. So I got to stand there for a minute and marvel at the size of the box. Then I went to pick it up. I think I was more surprised at how drat heavy it was.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Y'all are jerks for making me pine even more for the drat retail release already.

At least it'll give me a chance to play through Pandemic Legacy S2

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Played a game of Terraforming Mars the weekend before last with one of the special corporations and while a few people in my group are enamored with the game, I'm markedly cold. Am I missing something? Note: we played with drafting hands during each generation.

Edit: in regards to the profits of Gloomhaven, I'm sure part of it is the relative lack of non-cardboard/paper parts

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

It's completely mad, how did he make any money on the thing? It's got 18 sheets of full colour punchcard, plus all the boxes and 2 sizes of cards. Like 1000+ cards.

It's glorious though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Xelkelvos posted:

Played a game of Terraforming Mars the weekend before last with one of the special corporations and while a few people in my group are enamored with the game, I'm markedly cold. Am I missing something? Note: we played with drafting hands during each generation.

Edit: in regards to the profits of Gloomhaven, I'm sure part of it is the relative lack of non-cardboard/paper parts

Some people really like it.

I'm fully with you though. I'd rather play a dozen games of race on my phone.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Xelkelvos posted:

Not really. It is exactly what it looks and plays like in your first game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah I mean the thing with TM is that it is exactly what it is. I don't think there is really anything to 'get' with that game. It's not something that clicks after a few games, it just is

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Moonwolf posted:

It's completely mad, how did he make any money on the thing? It's got 18 sheets of full colour punchcard, plus all the boxes and 2 sizes of cards. Like 1000+ cards.

It's glorious though.

Yeah, I dunno if he made any money on the first run. besides all the cardboard and 1000+ cards, there are also 18 minis, rule books, stands, etc. And the Minis are really good quality!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I bet he made decent money on it but I also bet regular board game margins are huge, almost as huge as the Gloomhaven box

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

I bet he made decent money on it but I also bet regular board game margins are huge, almost as huge as the Gloomhaven box

Margin on the actual production costs maybe, but when you factor in development I can't imagine there's a lot of money there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nephzinho posted:

Margin on the actual production costs maybe, but when you factor in development I can't imagine there's a lot of money there.

I think he sold enough copies that even with a small margin he's doing pretty well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I think he sold enough copies that even with a small margin he's doing pretty well.

Oh yeah you can do crazy things with volume, I'm saying that just because you think a box has $20 of cardboard in it or whatever doesnt' mean the margin is huge.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The Gloomhaven box aside, his Founders of Gloomhaven game had an absurdly low price point as well. 50 bucks, free shipping to anywhere EU/Americas, and it supposedly was a very decently sized box with lots of components. Nothing compared to Gloomhaven's 22lbs, but still.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
So is anyone else picking up a copy of Keyper or can weigh in on whether it's worth grabbing or not?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For people who have played both, what do you think tournament level "we played this literally hundreds of times" Terra Mystica gamers would enjoy more: Gaia Project or Clans of Caledonia?

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I think Isaac made Gloomhaven so he could eventually team up with Vlaada.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

medchem posted:

I think Isaac made Gloomhaven so he could eventually team up with Vlaada.

:eyepop:

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

al-azad posted:

For people who have played both, what do you think tournament level "we played this literally hundreds of times" Terra Mystica gamers would enjoy more: Gaia Project or Clans of Caledonia?

I haven’t played either but I’ve heard from several accounts that GP is basically a stand alone explanation to TM so I would assume GP is the one you want.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sigh I'm not gonna get my copy of GH from retail until like late December, am I. All the backers have to get it first.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Sigh I'm not gonna get my copy of GH from retail until like late December, am I. All the backers have to get it first.

In a surprise reversal to literally every kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Papes posted:

I haven’t played either but I’ve heard from several accounts that GP is basically a stand alone explanation to TM so I would assume GP is the one you want.

If you’re lucky sure!