Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The suspension still sucks don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Those tails look kinda cool, but suck from a functionality perspective. Not great for luggage/passengers.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The suspension still sucks don't worry.

Miles better than the older models were. It's an 8K bike, I'm not expecting full race spec Ohlins, just something that I don't immediately feel a need to replace the shock and put springs and a cartridge kit in the forks

edit: that Honda shares some styling cues with the Husky Vitpilen and Svartpilen concepts that were supposed to go into production, wonder what happened to those bikes

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 1, 2017

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
edit: drat, we were thinking the same thing

The new bike chat reminded me that the vitpilen was supposed to be a thing already. Looks like it'll be a 2018 thing instead, but I'm looking forward to finally seeing them around.

This is the latest thing I could find on the 401 vitpilen after a bit of googling. They'll initially be made in Austria, then India will take over production.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/husqvarna-vitpilen-401-svartpilen-401-will-be-made-in-india-10-things-to-know-1720055

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 1, 2017

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

mulligan posted:

So I've been riding for about 3 months give or take on 200-250cc's singles and I feel nowhere ready for a Monster 696, I still dont have 100% throttle control, I still stall every blue moon and last time I grabbed a hand full of throttle which thanks to my small and nimble bike I could easily control.

I guess I need way more miles before I get myself one of my dream bikes. So I'd say, 6-12 more months and several hundred miles?

But everytime I pass the Ducati dealership with a red 696 with 3k miles for about 4 grand, it makes it a biiiiiit more difficult everyday.

Don't get caught up on quantity of miles or months. You'll be ready when you don't need to ask if you're ready.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Get your very own Indian flat tracker! Only $50k!

https://indianmotorcycleofauburn.com/FTR750

By the way, this isn't some custom shop's hack job, it's an actual race-ready flat tracker with ohlins and the works.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
All that ohlins and no brakes!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Miles better than the older models were. It's an 8K bike, I'm not expecting full race spec Ohlins, just something that I don't immediately feel a need to replace the shock and put springs and a cartridge kit in the forks

edit: that Honda shares some styling cues with the Husky Vitpilen and Svartpilen concepts that were supposed to go into production, wonder what happened to those bikes

Yeah true, they've gone from genuinely subpar to the normal level of mediocrity for a Japanese naked.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

clutchpuck posted:

Don't get caught up on quantity of miles or months. You'll be ready when you don't need to ask if you're ready.

So you’re saying S1000RR and a GoPro?

Yeah, I’m still having a blast with my little 200cc. I can grow into it, Thanks for the reality check.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mulligan posted:

So you’re saying S1000RR and a GoPro?

Yeah, I’m still having a blast with my little 200cc. I can grow into it, Thanks for the reality check.

lambo and 1 arm

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
a MANUAL lambo, don't forget that

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Gotta watch out for those Lucille's

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

nsaP posted:

Gotta watch out for those Lucille's

:bravo:

Not an emptyquote

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Is it classed as passive aggressive to nod at cars with only one headlight who use high beams to compensate for only having one light?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

itsjustdrew posted:

Is it classed as passive aggressive to nod at cars with only one headlight who use high beams to compensate for only having one light?
gently caress them, fix your car so you arent a danger to other people

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
The one-headlight-out-so-I-use-the-highbeams-for-safety thing :supaburn: my eyes is really common here in Denver. That and people driving without their lights on at all. I'm only about 50% successful at signaling those blind dipshits to turn on their lights...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

itsjustdrew posted:

as if some ding dong who can't fix their headlamp in a timely fashion is gonna notice you

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

itsjustdrew posted:

More passive than aggressive, because they won't get it. Why are you nodding at me? I'm not doing anything! Ditto drivers who run high beams with both lights working fine, or just have their lows set obnoxiously high.

A patrol boat spotlight on a pivot to shine directly in their eyes might get a reaction.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Funnily enough they're usually always Vauxhall Astras

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
That new CB1000R sure looks good, as does the new Kawi 900 retro bike. Lots of good-looking new bikes for 2018.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-kawasaki-h2-sx-sport-tourer-debut

When you want panniers on your 200HP supercharged sport bike

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

High Protein posted:

That new CB1000R sure looks good, as does the new Kawi 900 retro bike. Lots of good-looking new bikes for 2018.

It looks kind of boring in black in all the press photos. I never really liked the previous generation pointy headlight, but I'm not sure this new one is an improvement.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jazzzzz posted:

"Get Ready to Wet Your GoreTex"

that's a great title.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just today learned about the Ducati desert sled and now I want to sell my sv and get one. What the hell is happening.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

I really like the way they've integrated the lights into the fairings.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like everything about the H2R but they are being mighty optimistic about riding 2 up. It's like the current r1, possible but not probable unless you want sharp plastic up your anus

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
[Archer "Wait do you not?" macro here]

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

I like everything about the H2R but they are being mighty optimistic about riding 2 up. It's like the current r1, possible but not probable unless you want sharp plastic up your anus

Yeah but this is the case with every bike short of a goldwing/bagger/k1600. Even the more touring-orientated bikes suck absolute arse with a passenger unless it's one of the aformenetioned wheeled couches.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the r1 and expecially the h2r are outright ridiculous for what a sport bike can consider a seat

The seat has no room to compress before plastic starts to dig in

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 8, 2017

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just today learned about the Ducati desert sled and now I want to sell my sv and get one. What the hell is happening.

You like bikes that are cool and fun, and are ignoring the possibilities of maintenance. (buy it)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

I really like the way they've integrated the lights into the fairings.

There's a central main beam up in front of the windshield, the side ones are cornering lights apparently (and optional extras exclusive to the SE model, the base model has black plastic infill panels there).

But yeah, it's a neat place to stick headlights and I always thought if I ever had the cash to try a custom I'd want to try putting them there.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can't hate the desert sled but an SV converted to desert sled would be way cooler and cost less.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

the r1 and expecially the h2r are outright ridiculous for what a sport bike can consider a seat

Again, this has been the situation for like a decade now and is simply the manufacturers openly acknowledging the reality: only idiots pillion on sportsbikes and there are much better bikes on the shelf for doing that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

I can't hate the desert sled but an SV converted to desert sled would be way cooler and cost less.

Honestly I was looking for a DR650 to go along with my SV and then the Desert Sled came along and was like “hey I’m an SV and DR650 rolled into one”

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The desert sled could probably accomplish everything my DR has done for me so far, at 12x the price. It would be hilariously unsuited for nastier off road, but that might actually be fun.

I think the DR makes a great "scrambler" type bike out of the box, and it's certainly how I enjoy it. I'd rather have the DR than the ducati or the SVsled, but I'm biased.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

Again, this has been the situation for like a decade now and is simply the manufacturers openly acknowledging the reality: only idiots pillion on sportsbikes and there are much better bikes on the shelf for doing that.

The current r1 seat is at least 30% narrower than the previous model and the h2 is basically nonexistent compared to previous flagship Kawasaki bikes. It's definitely worse than before

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 8, 2017

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Fauxtool posted:

My pilion claimed to be reasonably comfortable on my R1's ridiculous little seat, granted my generation didn't have the two little butt-slicers on the sides. They were notorious for bending the subframe with heftier fellas on the back though.

Is that... thing on the H2 supposed to be a seat? I thought it was just a butt- stop for the rider to keep them from sliding off while pulling dank wheelies at triple digit speeds.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Desert Sled is a cool idea till you realize how large and heavy it actually is.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Have you seen the new Scrambler 1100? I thought the desert sled was stupid and heavy and till I saw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I like my Scrambler a lot, but I can't imagine doing any actual off-roading with it. Get a Desert Sled if you're cool with that.