Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Yo, is it just me or did they put the padding on the warming tray of the oven, too?

I see it too. So either none of us are mad or all of us are mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh my. I love it and also the facial scars I'll get when it all catches on fire.
The secret is that they probably never actually cook in there. If they did, they would have ripped it out the instant they realized they'd have to clean food stains off it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a feeling the rest of the house is very very pink.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
sink and no where to put the dishes to dry either

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ayyy did somebody say pink

This is near my work. It took extra time and money for that hand-finished exterior in the cool beige that doesn't match the pink trim. Idk about the interior but I expect toy poodles are involved.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's one of the ugliest houses I've ever seen.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
is that a solar panel-covered carport? if not that might be a cool thing

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Looks like it's just glass plastic sheets.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh yeah those carports are standard around here (and you can see solar panels on roofs of new houses.) Garages are for the super-rich. Normal people barely have any yard, so they get a clear-roof carport that still lets light into the house and is also good for bbqs and baby pools. The plastic panels are pretty strong and easily replaced, but they easily last 20 years.
http://www.ykkap.co.jp/search/index.html?s=exterior_garage

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
http://www.latter-blum.com/residential-for-sale/la/new-orleans/70115/315-eleonore-street__3401235

Reduced by $50,000!

quote:

"AS IS" NOT HABITABLE, NEEDS MAJOR RENOVATIONS. INVESTORS/BUYERS NEED TO CHECK WITH NEW ORLEANS CITY HALL AS PROPERTY IS IN A HISTORIC AREA. CLOSE TO THE AUDUBON PARK, ZOO AND THE GOLF COURSE, TULANE & LOYOLA UNIVERSITIES.

Translation: uninhabitable house that you can't tear down; buy at your own risk.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh hey it’s our old friend the repossessed murderer hide out House

I wonder if they managed to evict him yet?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

It is generally a bad idea to include dolls in your staging.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
grandma boning on that pink couch

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Those are the cursed remains of the last people who didn't buy the house.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Stair runner level: Frighteningly dedicated.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Wide lens really makes the shots.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Those weren't there when the photos were taken. :ghost:

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

The amount of patterns in this single photo is staggering. 3 different wallpapers alone!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Arise, thread!

THIS is how you stage a MCM house

I think I want the furniture and art more than the house itself.

Also: THIS HOUSE. Look at the rest of the photos in the link, it's awesome.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Youth Decay posted:

Thanks for linking this, this is very much my jam. So much wood paneling, natural lighting, and big open rooms! Though I find that kitchen kind of confusing -- six burners and a hot plate is a ton of capacity, but the walking space is too narrow for more than one person at a time to comfortably cook. :confused:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Amazon's new in-house furniture brands? I was considering buying something from Rivet but it has 0 reviews on it so far and I'm dubious about the quality of Amazon furniture.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This feels like every library foyer from my youth, and by that I mean you're right, they did a very good job of capturing the moment (even if it's a moment I'd sooner forget).

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You'll never be able to convince me that this building wasn't originally a doctor's office or 'professional building'.

edit: looking at the satellite image in Google Maps, I'm 100% certain of this now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PRADA SLUT posted:

grandma boning on that pink couch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW6FrrAS62E

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Isn’t that the beauty salon from Californiation?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Can we ask for layout advice in here?

If so, I moved into a 1920's built duplex a month ago and am having a tough time with the room I've used for the living room. It's narrow, has a doorway coming right off the entryway at the front of the house, has two big french doors dead in the center, a big radiator and an outside wall that's hexagon shaped. I could swap the living and dining rooms but having to walk through the living room to get to the dining room seems awkward.

The couch was an impulse buy and I'm not sure how much I even love it. Luckily it's modular - I can add and remove pieces as I see fit. Here it is with four sections across, which basically fills the width of the room. Better or worse?

If anyone has any good ideas, I'm all ears. Here are a couple examples of the rough style I've been leaning towards (scandanavian? modern rustic? westelm.jpg?), but I don't even know what to call this. The ideal plan would be to replace the crappy coffee table and TV stand with wood pieces and fill the room with plants, patterns, brass accents, etc as I've been really into more organic finishes lately.

I also HATE those blinds, but I haven't found an affordable solution yet to replace them.

emotive fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 22, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

emotive posted:

Can we ask for layout advice in here?

If so, I moved into a 1920's built duplex a month ago and am having a tough time with the room I've used for the living room. It's narrow, has a doorway coming right off the entryway at the front of the house, has two big french doors dead in the center, a big radiator and an outside wall that's hexagon shaped. I could swap the living and dining rooms but having to walk through the living room to get to the dining room seems awkward.

The couch was an impulse buy and I'm not sure how much I even love it. I only bought it because it's modular - I can add and remove pieces as I see fit. Here it is with four sections across, which basically fills the width of the room. Better or worse?

If anyone has any good ideas, I'm all ears. Here are a couple examples of the rough style I've been leaning towards (scandanavian? modern rustic? westelm.jpg?), but I don't even know what to call this. The ideal plan would be to replace the crappy coffee table and TV stand with wood pieces and fill the room with plants, patterns, brass accents, etc as I've been really into more organic finishes lately.

I also HATE those blinds, but I haven't found an affordable solution yet to replace them.

I'm going to be the hater and say that the whole "west elm pinterest" look is tacky and on it's way out sooner rather than later. Plus it looks obnoxiously cluttered. If that's what you want, fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're throwing it all out and shopping again in a few years.

On the current setup:

1) Your couch is way too huge and fat for that room. Like 1/3 of the room is oversized couch. Toss it.
2) Same with the chair. Toss.
3) The IKEA coffee table is also too dark and obtrusive. Toss.
4) The entertainment center is also too janky for that space but you might need something to store a DVD player or whatever. I'd get the smallest one you can possibly manage, and consider wall mounting the TV even. Or just say gently caress it and move the TV to another room and stick a bookcase there or something instead. If you do a wall-mount, ask yourself if you can get away with mounting an AppleTV or whatever behind the TV. If you ~need~ an entertainment center, at least get a lighter material.

You have a tiny, wonky-geometried space and you're throwing in heavy, thick-outlined furniture. I'd toss the entire room and pick up a couch with a lighter footprint, like one that "floats" a bit to add negative space and a weird-looking chair for the corner. Get rid of the coffee table and use a small end table if you need it, or a coffee table with a glass top or otherwise small looking, since it's right in the middle of both entrances. You don't need those exact items, but something of that idea. If you feel like balling you could put a Noguchi over a light rug, and you could even do that "west elm Pinterest" rug if you really want it.

The layout looks fine, but putting a TV in there is just awkward no matter what, which is typical in a pre-TV building. You basically just need to make sure everything in that room has a light geometry/profile. Negative space under everything. Imagine a Roomba has to clean the entire thing. Put a rug in if you want, but make it light-colored and flat weave. Weird designs or colors are fine, the two linked are also fine.

e: I'd probably measure and throw it into Homestyler to get a better idea of what the space will look like with different configurations. You could float furniture around the center of the room or other options as well.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 22, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm going to be the hater and say that the whole "west elm pinterest" look is tacky and on it's way out sooner rather than later. Plus it looks obnoxiously cluttered. If that's what you want, fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're throwing it all out and shopping again in a few years.

The cracks me up because I tend to think of that pinterest stuff as a kitschy version of your minimalist esthetic.

Prada's suggestions are good if you want to make the room look more spacey, but that might impact the function since a t.v. room is primarily a comfy place to spread out. If you don't need all that extra sit/sleep space from the sectional then I'd probably also ditch the couch for a smaller one and a chair, and get a narrower coffee table. But I'd go with rounded backs/arms/cushions to contrast with all the straight lines in the windows.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
For a room that small and dark I would also keep in mind a lighter/brighter color palette that contrasts off the wood. Go to home depot/lowes and pick out some swatches you like and bring them home. Keep them with you when shopping for furniture as a visual reminder. Take pictures and ask for a second opinion from a friend who's design intuition you trust (or just ask us). I'm a big fan of inspiration boards too. That west elm look is pretty dated and I would look through some eras of history and find what YOU like and throw it up on your board.

Your furniture is too dark and big really. Just swapping out for lighter furniture would make a huge difference. Mirrors also help make a room look bigger.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Thanks for the input. It's helpful getting some other opinions.

The coffee table and TV stand are definitely being replaced, they're just inherited/stuff I brought from the old apartment. The coffee table is way too big for the room, for sure.

Unfortunately at least for now I'm stuck with that couch (the chair is one of the pieces from it) - It was the girlfriend's decision and she paid for it. I'm hoping some light colored throws will help offset how bulky it is.
Luckily it's modular, so it's easy to change the layout of it. I could even break it into a couch and loveseat if it would look better.

I'm definitely not completely sold on the West Elm look, I guess it was a generic example of the more natural/rustic colors/patterns/general aesthetic I've been into lately.

emotive fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 22, 2017

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I can't decide if I should paint the rest of my walls in the kitchen the same blue/grey.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Will probably make the room really dark?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Apartment layout guy, I agree that the fully assembled couch is too big, but just roll with what you have and whatever is best for watching tv. It might help to cover/block a window since you have little continuous wallspace.
Did you have a drawing of the floorplan you can repost?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

JEEVES420 posted:

I can't decide if I should paint the rest of my walls in the kitchen the same blue/grey.

No

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What if... you painted the cabinets black?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paint everything black. Install flashing lights. Have a rave kitchen.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Facebook Aunt posted:

Paint everything black. Install flashing lights and a mirror ball. Have a disco kitchen.

FTFY

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

To align with the thread's fetish for midcentury, this is the correct answer.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
And speaking of amazing kitchens:
https://flashbak.com/30-vintage-kitchens-from-atomic-age-to-disco-era-383812/
https://flashbak.com/those-fabulous-and-frightening-1970s-kitchens-1140/

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

Arise, thread!

THIS is how you stage a MCM house

I think I want the furniture and art more than the house itself.

Also, I'm not into MCM too much, but I kinda like both of these places. Especially the back yard fountain and patio in the first one: