Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

No Wave posted:

Pls tell me you went regenerative microbes

I want to see someone use Regenerative Microbes on a Bloodlusted Zeratul during Shadow Assault.

Maximum Garbage Town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah microbes with no healer is soooo bad, your team definitely needs +50% locust health way more for sure.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

No Wave posted:

Tbh I have no problem with cosmetics being paywalled, especially when so many cosmetics are already free. It's confusing to keep track of but eh.

If I'm going to spend money on silly stuff in the game I'd rather it not be on loot boxes, a business model that I hope becomes illegal.
same. While putting certain skins as gem only means I will never have them, I don't begrudge Blizzard monetizing the game in ways that don't affect game play. I'm guessing someone finally noticed revenue was down since 2.0 and decided something had to change.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Toshimo posted:

I want to see someone use Regenerative Microbes on a Bloodlusted Zeratul during Shadow Assault.

Maximum Garbage Town.

I had an abba heal for 50K in qm once with microbes. Kind of made me wonder wth all the other abbas have been doing this whole time.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

No Wave posted:

Pls tell me you went regenerative microbes

Also you want to be soaking wherever it seems likely someone else won't be soaking. Try seeing how aggressively you can position and whether you get punished for it in the early game, one early death with a global isn't a big deal and you won't learn otherwise.

I went for the most healing/support stuff I could get. I did end up mostly matching that Tass in Shielding/Heals done. But having a Johanna chasing people solo across the map or a Xul that just charges into groups to pop poison nova and die made things a bit difficult. Especially since it was my first time playing with people on the character.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Good news is that if you're not at either mmr extreme the matchmaker will make sure you hit a 50% win rate, so every loss is a win down the line...

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Matchmaking systems don't "make sure" you hit a 50% win rate. If a matchmaker is working properly and you are placed correctly, you will have even matches, resulting in approximately a 50% win rate. There's nothing in matchmaking that says when you win a game that it will somehow guarantee a loss afterward.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Which talents should I be taking as Abathur other than microbes?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The Shortest Path posted:

take all the offense stuff unless nobody on your team is close-ranged, then take all the ones that let you fart mines and locusts everywhere

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

beejay posted:

Matchmaking systems don't "make sure" you hit a 50% win rate. If a matchmaker is working properly and you are placed correctly, you will have even matches, resulting in approximately a 50% win rate. There's nothing in matchmaking that says when you win a game that it will somehow guarantee a loss afterward.
If wins adjust your mmr upwards and losses downwards, and you eventually approach your 50% win rate, a loss will eventually mean a win.

The alternative is never arriving/returning to your "true" mmr, which seems unlikely.

The way this doesn't becone true is if you get different scores for losses and wins - ie, if you get 2x more points for wins than losses you'll reach a 33% win rate and stabilize there. However on average they are the same.

The other way this doesn't work is if your mmr does not have a negative correlation with your personal win rate, but this would be a pretty big problem.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Part of Abathur's high skill cap comes from his build diversity. Unlike some heroes who have an agreed-upon Correct Build In Most Situations (e.g. Rehgar), the correct Abathur build depends heavily on team comp and map. If you don't have a support, you'll probably want to go for regenerative spores on 1 and sustained carapace on 4. Once you have sustained carapace, to heal people up during/after fights what you should do is hat them, pop carapace, instantly use the other two abilities, and then unhat. Your cooldowns are reset whenever you hat someone so if you do this you can heal someone every 4 seconds. If you do have a support, you'll probably never take either talent.

Don't forget to use your mines.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The point is, the 50% win rate is a natural outcome of a good matchmaker. You are not losing a game because you won one before. You are winning and losing games at an approximately equal rate because players are equally matched. A win does not cause a loss, a loss does not cause a win.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

beejay posted:

The point is, the 50% win rate is a natural outcome of a good matchmaker. You are not losing a game because you won one before. You are winning and losing games at an approximately equal rate because players are equally matched. A win does not cause a loss, a loss does not cause a win.
That's false, because wins change mmr and the gap between your ideal mmr and current mmr determines win rate.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

So you are literally claiming that if you win a game, the system what... puts bad players on your team the next game so the universe stays in balance?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

No Wave posted:

That's false, because wins change mmr and the gap between your ideal mmr and current mmr determines win rate.

No it doesn't, it influences your likely winrate. You can win games you statistically should lose and vice versa.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

beejay posted:

So you are literally claiming that if you win a game, the system what... puts bad players on your team the next game so the universe stays in balance?
Well, I think it DOES do that but that's irrelevant.

If you lose a game then you will play against an incrementally weaker team next time because your mmr is lower. This will incrementally raise your expected win rate after each loss. It will also incrementally lower your expected win rate after each win because your mmr has gone up. This is the purpose and function of mmr.

This is why over periods of games in the hundreds there is actually less variance from 50% than a series of coin tosses would produce.

No it doesn't, it influences your likely winrate. You can win games you statistically should lose and vice versa.
In the long run they are functionally identical ofc...

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 7, 2017

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The video game does not have it out for you. Best of luck with all that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

beejay posted:

The video game does not have it out for you. Best of luck with all that.
You don't seem to understand that raising your mmr lowers your expected win rate, nothing I said is even an opinion.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 8, 2017

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

beejay posted:

Not as dramatic as that but Yes, pretty much. If you win a bunch of games in a row you are much more likely to be placed against extremely high ranked people or with trash people. Thus lowering your chance to win.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

beejay posted:

For sure it does, how else would it balance the avg MMR between the two teams?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If you win a game, your MMR goes up.
When this happens, the next 9 people the matchmaker puts in your game, will on average have higher MMR.
This is how it balances out your winrate. Not because your team gets worse, but because everyone besides you in the game gets better.

It does not stick worse players on your team. The only reason it would do that is if you were the best player currently online, and it couldn't find 9 other people around your skill level. And if that is the case, it would still attempt to create teams of comparable skill using you and the best 9 players it could find.

I have no facts or evidence to support any of this.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Gustav posted:

For sure it does, how else would it balance the avg MMR between the two teams?
I recently ran into a really funny example of this in QM. There was a level 12 Thrall on the enemy team (he was in a 3 or 4 man premade) and from watching him play he was clearly a legit level 12 player and not someone's smurf so I figured it was a free win. Nope. We got stuck with an unbelievably bad Arthas. He would dive 1v5, complain about the lack of heals, etc. The matchmaker brilliantly setup a fair fight.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Polio Vax Scene posted:

If you win a game, your MMR goes up.
When this happens, the next 9 people the matchmaker puts in your game, will on average have higher MMR.
This is how it balances out your winrate. Not because your team gets worse, but because everyone besides you in the game gets better.

It does not stick worse players on your team. The only reason it would do that is if you were the best player currently online, and it couldn't find 9 other people around your skill level. And if that is the case, it would still attempt to create teams of comparable skill using you and the best 9 players it could find.

I have no facts or evidence to support any of this.
More or less true as long as enough people are playing and you're not at an extreme.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 8, 2017

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

No Wave posted:

Yeah microbes with no healer is soooo bad, your team definitely needs +50% locust health way more for sure.

I actually pick pressurized glands at 1 when I must provide support because it has very good synergy with soma transference later on and also helps with pushing/takedowns.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The problem with microbes is it is a poo poo healing skill without sustained carapace. It's a poo poo healing skill in general, because the heal only works if the shield doesn't pop, but if you get sustained carapace you can hat around and distribute a lovely 272 heal to a different target every 4.5 seconds assuming they don't take 157 damage at any point during that 4 seconds. For reference it's like a single heal from Li Li with the good stuff, again, assuming that no one looks at the person you're healing funny and the person you're healing sees they're shielded and immediately does not do what everyone being shielded by any other skill in the game does and think "Time to engage because I can take a few free hits now". The best time to use a shield is actually to save someone who's running away or to help offset a skill shot, and in either case you're pretty much expecting it to pop within a second.

The best level 1 talent is generally survival instincts if you're on a map where you think you'll be able to forward tunnel and drop locusts swarms later (like cursed hollow), envenomed nests if you're on a map where you won't be forward tunneling and there will be lots of predictable enemy pathing (like towers), and pressured glands if you've got 2 good hat targets on your team and want to go hat build (like butcher or illidan, someone who would benefit huge from having extra attack).

At 4, you're pretty much picking a compliment to your 1 talent. If you're going lovely heal spec, then you are pretty much locked into Sustained Carapace, otherwise your lovely heal is on an 8 second effective cooldown rather than a 4 second effective cooldown. If you're going hat build, this is the key talent tier for that, and you want to pick up adrenal overload. If you went nests or locusts, you probably want baltospores or prolific dispersal, it really depends on how big the map is.

At 7, you want vile nests if you went locusts or mines, needle spine for hat build, and MULE if you're on a map like sky temple or blackheart's where repairing things has an impact on the value of the map objective. Networked carapace is the real reason that heal spec abas put out any decent numbers, because it can turn your lovely 157 bubble into 5 lovely 157 bubbles and pump up those numbers while still adding next to no value.

At 10, you take ultimate evolution, unless you are so loving far ahead that you want to cheese the other team by taking a terrible ultimate. Monstrosity is pretty much universally terrible unless the other team doesn't know what it is and fails to respond to it, which doesn't happen very often, and the only hint of value you might be able to get out of it is popping it during the lead up to an even to force the other team to deal with it and engage short or ignore it and take some structure damage, but the trade off is your team will always be fighting like 4.5 v 5 in actual team battles, which is no good.

At 13, it's bombard strand for locust and mine builds, or spacial efficiency if you're doing the hat thing. Soma transferance is very situational and unless the enemy team loves to group up around your hat target it will heal for next to nothing, but if your hat boi doesn't have sustain or you lack a real healer it's probably the right call.

At 16, Envenomed spikes or adrenaline boost for hat build depending on if you'd have more value slowing the entire enemy team (like your team has no slow skills) or boosting your hat target (like your hat target has no escape or close skill), otherwise 100% locust brood.

Finally at 20, it's either locust nest or hivemind, I prefer locust nest because it's the #1 ability that makes forward tunneling more survivable by creating doubt as to which bush you're hiding in, and the first two times someone stumbles into your locust nest and gets a face full of mines are the last two times they even try to hunt you generally.

In closing, aba is awesome, don't sit in the base all game, make sure your locusts are pushing lanes, make sure you're soaking two lanes during objectives before level 10, and think like 20 times before going shield build because it's terrible.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 8, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Pressurized Glands also lets you hit an entire minion wave with spike burst if you have to hat a keep or fort that's being pushed in, as I learned from a Grubby video the other day.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wow by that logic tassadar shield really sucks huh.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

No Wave posted:

Pouting about your lovely opinion isn't making you any more sympathetic.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dietrich posted:

At 4, you're pretty much picking a compliment to your 1 talent. If you're going lovely heal spec, then you are pretty much locked into Sustained Carapace, otherwise your lovely heal is on an 8 second effective cooldown rather than a 4 second effective cooldown. If you're going hat build, this is the key talent tier for that, and you want to pick up adrenal overload. If you went nests or locusts, you probably want baltospores or prolific dispersal, it really depends on how big the map is.

I don't know that I'm 100% on board with All-synergy all-the-time. There's plenty of times when I know I want to take the Aspd buff to complement my team, but it's not really an All-hat situation, so I take locusts or Nests at 1.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Holy poo poo, the Alarak announcer is fantastic for the fact that it makes me think Q is canon in all universes, not just Star Trek.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

No Wave posted:

Tassadar's shield doesn't go away and fail to do 75% of what it's supposed to do when they take two melees from li-ming, get out of here with your poo poo opinion.

Toshimo posted:

I don't know that I'm 100% on board with All-synergy all-the-time. There's plenty of times when I know I want to take the Aspd buff to complement my team, but it's not really an All-hat situation, so I take locusts or Nests at 1.

Depends on how you want to play him. I'm usually not staying on a hat target for very long unless I'm specifically trying to give them the adrenal overload buff, and if you are, then the cooldown reductions on those skills makes a huge difference in your DPS versus mines for example. Nothing wrong with survival instincts as a talent choice even with a hat build if the map is permissive to forward tunneling though, I just find that it's harder to keep an eye on your body when you're trying to nail skillshots from your hat versus the hat, dump skills, dehat approach to abaplay, which makes forward tunneling with hat build a little harder. Not to mention most of the value of survival instincts is in the synergy with the locust 13, 16 and 20 talents, which have some steep competition with hat skill talents on the same tiers.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 8, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dietrich posted:

Depends on how you want to play him. I'm usually not staying on a hat target for very long unless I'm specifically trying to give them the adrenal overload buff, and if you are, then the cooldown reductions on those skills makes a huge difference in your DPS versus mines for example. Nothing wrong with survival instincts as a talent choice even with a hat build if the map is permissive to forward tunneling though, I just find that it's harder to keep an eye on your body when you're trying to nail skillshots from your hat versus the hat, dump skills, dehat approach to abaplay, which makes forward tunneling with hat build a little harder. Not to mention most of the value of survival instincts is in the synergy with the locust 13, 16 and 20 talents, which have some steep competition with hat skill talents on the same tiers.

Yeah, I get you. I'm just saying that Aba feels like he has more situational picks depending on comp/map/opposition than most.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, I get you. I'm just saying that Aba feels like he has more situational picks depending on comp/map/opposition than most.

Absolutely, and you can adjust tactics as the game progresses as well. For example, if you're winning all your teamfights in the duration of your ultimate evolution, then there is little point to getting further hat talents after 10, and you should switch up and pick some locust talents because you can't hat and clone at the same time.

As an aba you need to balance map presence against teamfight utility. If your team is losing every teamfight then regardless of how much experience you're personally bringing in your team is probably going to lose, and if your team is winning the teamfights but losing out in the experience race because your locusts are getting murdered in half a second and you're spending all game hatting the illidan hiding in the bushes in the jungle, then you're eventually going to be down three levels and start losing those teamfights. I'd stick with the builds I recommended when you're new at Aba but after a few dozen games you'll probably have a good idea about when to mix and match.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I've got a 55% win rate across 3,000 games (like 2 ai games and 1 or 2 brawls in there) so it's not like you're destined to inevitably land at 50%.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

is there a good abathur guide video i can watch somewhere, cause i apparently take all the wrong talents for him (it works okay cause its just vs. ai, which means there's rarely a healer and also i pick monstrosity and kill the entire enemy team which is pretty fun tbh)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

is there a good abathur guide video i can watch somewhere, cause i apparently take all the wrong talents for him (it works okay cause its just vs. ai, which means there's rarely a healer and also i pick monstrosity and kill the entire enemy team which is pretty fun tbh)

Any decent build guide for any hero is going to make the assumption that (a) you are in HL/TL (b) people aren't drafting like garbage and (c) you are probably at least mid-Plat. So, any video is going to me mostly inapplicable to the standard high-silver low-gold QM rando-fest that most goons are experiencing.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Power Bottom posted:

Nu-Lili to me seems like there are blatantly obvious choices at every tier:

Level 1's is Eager Adventurer because it provides total cooldown reduction, mana sustain, and more Movement Speed whereas the other two only provide cooldown reduction or sustain for individual skills.
Level 4's is Safety Sprint because it's a guaranteed activation of your now buffed Trait and Mounted Speed to get yourself out of trouble. Serpent Sidekick would be more attractive if it counted the Lightning Serpent bounce attacks, but it doesn't.
Level 7's is Let's Go, because Cleanse and a targeted heal with a cooldown that's managed by your Trait. I would care more about Lightning Serpent if it targeted non-heroes for general sustain stuff, but it doesn't.
Level 10 is almost always Jug.
Level 13 is Surging Winds. The extra blind duration from Gale Force would be useful, but Surging Winds has spellpower and cooldown reduction, making it overall more effective.
Level 16 is Blessings of Yu'lon. 1.5% Max Health per second is no joke when you slap it on a tank, especially a meaty one like Stitches.
Level 20, I honestly can't tell if Mistweaver or Double Jug is better. Depends on how much CC the enemy team has, I guess.

People more familiar with Lili are welcome to tell me I'm wrong and/or an idiot but after futzing around on the PTR with her in a couple matches I'm just not seeing the appeal of the other options.

This seems mostly correct. Gonna have to see how fast she burns mana but I think Free Drinks at 1 would be better for team fight-centric mana management. In a team fight you're almost always gonna have someone under 50% health. The full heal build would take Good Stuff at 7 (which says it heals "an additional amount" but doesn't say how much that is) and Pick Me Up at 16 for the same reason as Free Drinks. But overall I think a full heal build or a full serpent build is less useful than your first impression build.

And 10/20 is almost always Dragon/Double Dragon :getin:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I agree with Toshimo for once. :shobon: With the coming changes to tower health and the removal of ammo, Survival Instincts isn't going to be the default Aba choice for me anymore since the one more hit they can take isnt going to mean nearly as much for attrition.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

We haven't done this for awhile but I'd like it if another Tauren was added. They're just really cool. Could go with either Cairne or Hulm (Holm? Hilm?... Helm?) Highmountain. Although I'm pretty sure all Tauren's would be warriors. Maybe a Tauren priest but there are no named ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Spudd posted:

We haven't done this for awhile but I'd like it if another Tauren was added. They're just really cool. Could go with either Cairne or Hulm (Holm? Hilm?... Helm?) Highmountain. Although I'm pretty sure all Tauren's would be warriors. Maybe a Tauren priest but there are no named ones.

Huln.