Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Looks interesting. I love the idea of Blood Bowl but it takes way too long to play and the dice gods constantly gently caress you over which really makes it feel like your choices don't have nearly the impact that pure luck does.

Don't you besmirch the good name of Nuffle. You get the dice you deserve and for everyone that is Both Down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Check out Assassins Creed Origins, similar, even has loot. I’m enjoying it more than Shadow of War.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Call of Duty WWII is... ok. Like it's extremely a corridor shooter, and if you don't do exactly as the game expects you get instakilled by some bullshit magic bullet or whatever. Also gently caress QTEs.

Haven't played the online but it's probably mediocre to average too.

I much rather have my FPSes to have some choice as to how I engage in things.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CoD has always been a rails shooter that kills you if you get clever, that's pretty much to be expected. But it's what you get these days in SP: either an open world that's hopefully set up well enough to react to strategies players come up with, or really tightly scripted closed levels that give less freedom but a more curated experience.

Shockules
May 2, 2017
Everyone here needs to play Hearts of Iron 4. Me and Pesticide play it and it can be super fun. I'd love to do a huge group game at some point.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Pesticide and I*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Football!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCjsgRsHLDA

this is pretty much nfl blitz

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 3, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

ElMaligno posted:

Just shame orcs until they become enlisted marines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDEqREyb820

Story spoilers about this:

This becomes a lot less fun in act 4 when your ghost pal zaps into another person and leaves you to your own devices. Your character can still do all the shaming and stuff but there aren't any cool lines anymore, he just kinda growls and is all GRRRR I'M A GHOST WOOOooOOOooOO!!! It's a shame too as there's still a lot of game to be had but you don't get the classic SUFFER ME NOW bits anymore, just lame growling.

Unrelated to Shadow of War, I'm up in the northern areas of Assassins Creed Origins now and I'm getting incredibly strong MGSV vibes from when you're wandering around Afghanistan and knocking out bases and sneaking around and poo poo. All I need is some ancient Egyptian fulton device :haw:

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

CoD has always been a rails shooter that kills you if you get clever, that's pretty much to be expected. But it's what you get these days in SP: either an open world that's hopefully set up well enough to react to strategies players come up with, or really tightly scripted closed levels that give less freedom but a more curated experience.

Pretty much :( Though Titanfall 2 encouraged you to wander off the rails as both a means of finding alternate routes as well as finding collectibles. They didn't do anything, it was just a means of zooming around more walls like a heavily armed pinball, and that was perfectly fine with me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

While the Portal music definitely makes anything industrial better, its a shame the steam controller sucks in comparison to a regular two joystick game pad. You can't beat left/right sticks for move/look functionality.

e; although i'll qualify that in that the trackpads are great, but every game I'd use them for I'm using a mouse and keyboard for anyway.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 4, 2017

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

The shame of it is, the first Call of Duty was actually pretty good about breaking scripted events. You could outright change the narrative path of levels by ending scripted events before they ran their course. Tanks, for example. If you knew when a tank would burst over a wall, you could blow it up with a panzershrek before it cleared the obstacle. None of the subsequent scripted enemy attacks would occur, and your squad leader would order you to the next objective. Similarly, you could usually kill enemy soldiers before they were scripted to kill one of your squadmates, and your squad redshirt would be around for the rest of the mission.

Too bad the CoD franchise is nothing but bullet hoses and QTEs now. I'm still salty that they got rid of the leaning mechanic.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the last good cod game was cod 2. A quazi tactical rail shooter is retarded

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The version of Wolf3D in the new Wolfenstein game is an alternate history take, where you fight Russians and there's posters of BJ Blazkowicz on the wall next to the Kreisau Circle symbol

:allears:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

The version of Wolf3D in the new Wolfenstein game is an alternate history take, where you fight Russians and there's posters of BJ Blazkowicz on the wall next to the Kreisau Circle symbol

:allears:

Elite Hans in Wolfstone 3D.

A timeless classic.

I haven't gotten to the last level yet, but I'm desperately hoping that it's FDR in a mecha wheelchair.

Edit: I spoiled myself by looking up the boss fights. No FDR, but still :perfect:

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 5, 2017

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It'd be Stalin, surely?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm still playing Shadow of War. Turns out that you get gold coins for doing some challenges for the first time ever, so I had enough to get a box and some XP boosts. Now I can do shadow wars and get a level and a quarter each. I'm 50 now, and I'm going to fighting pit / recruit all level 50s for my kingdoms before I finish up shadow wars. I'm busy as gently caress this week so getting a new game didn't make sense, as several 10-day Path of Exile races start on Friday.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i grabbed ff12 for ps4

theres a built in speed boost mode where if you press L1 it speeds the game up either 2x or 4x so you can grind hella fast

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://twitter.com/_teitokuma/status/926612948038103041

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Saw this on Reddit, had a chuckle.
https://gfycat.com/RelievedPersonalIlsamochadegu

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cod ww2 is fun. No dumb poo poo like wall running.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It'd be Stalin, surely?

You fight Caroline. Her death cry is "OW MY LEGS!!"

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
CAROLINE, GIMME YER WIINNGS

CAROLINE

CAROLIIIINE

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BROKEN OLD MAN

JUST STAY AWAY

JUST STAY AWAY BROKEN OLD MAN

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

cvnvcnv posted:

I don't hate or even dislike the way D2 Crucible plays (different and certainly not equal but I can dig), and I don't think random rolls are as good as random rolls (ROI > the rest of D1), but not only can nothing ~amazing~ really happen now but Idk what/why anyone is playing for now. Because we enjoy the game and poo poo, right, but there is no feedback loop anymore. It used to inspire a push and pull in the players but now our 8/10 mamacita with a few glaring flaws but a magical mouth is a 10/10 Realdoll which you realize is actually a 2/10 because it's merely an approximation of what we used to be sticking out dicks in. Can still cum but it takes a lot longer and now we have to do all the work sooooo why the gently caress do that when there are hot babes everywhere?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGX7qbO62u4

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The new cod is terrible

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

like i know it's not a hot take or controversial opinion but the SP is really really stupid

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It looks really bad

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
why?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Just play Mario.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s got the most bog standard, uninspired take on WW2 in a time when we have Wolfenstein: The New Colossus

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Incompetent AI, bad checkpoints, stealth missions, a horrible SOE premise after some regular WWII stuff. I want to go back to being being pals with Victor Reznov bashing in skulls at the Reichstag.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
cod you say?

faaaaaaaaaart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gubPm7QCUwI

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Anyone else hooked on Assassins Creed Origins? I️ think it’s game of the year for me, by far best Assassins Creed open world map

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im playing ff12 and enjoying it more than i thought. i

its really nice getting back into single player rpgs after years of mmo grinding.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

My first video dedication

Just about brings a tear of pride to my eye

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

It’s got the most bog standard, uninspired take on WW2 in a time when we have Wolfenstein: The New Colossus

Should it have an inspired take on WW2?

I absolutely loved the first COD, because it didn't make you some badass action hero on a slick adventure full of QTEs, with a deeply personal motive for fighting. You were just a British/Russian/American conscript, playing a tiny role in a world-spanning conflict. It wasn't an overwrought morality play. For the most part, the missions were based on real battles, in real places.

That's not to hate on Wolfenstein - I loved The New Order, and Wolf 2 is almost as good. But in a game like COD, I'd much rather play a soldier than a super soldier.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI2dFH7NSDg

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
RIP EGM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Nobody plays cod for single player.