Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, Sigmar is still around, so why not the sisters, in tge shape DEVOTED OF SIGMAR?!

As for NM, 8th ed Dark Imperium box had two armies and one full rear end rulebook. NM could do the same, considering that they will be releasing the gangs separately on day one.

I'm buying the box and I don't know why. At least I'm getting a good price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

JcDent posted:

As for NM, 8th ed Dark Imperium box had two armies and one full rear end rulebook. NM could do the same, considering that they will be releasing the gangs separately on day one.

I wonder why it doesn't?

JcDent posted:

Oh.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

JcDent posted:

Well, Sigmar is still around, so why not the sisters, in tge shape DEVOTED OF SIGMAR?!

Dark Imperium is also $160 and no board/terrain.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MrFlibble posted:

I wonder why it doesn't?
Oh.

I absolutely wouldn't be buying the box if not for multiple things that just got together to make it cheap for me.

I guess if it didn't have some terrain bits I could use for something else, I might change my mind. Meanwhile, I hope the board will work with my Burning of Prospero board.

Shadin posted:

Dark Imperium is also $160 and no board/terrain.

Nobody trucked out the "needs $200 of terrain to play" argument for that one, though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Warhammer TV has a short with Andy Hoare (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDdeAeLMwEs) and he says that the reason for the lack of terrain in the new box is to make the price accessible to new players, to have a "game in a box" (you'd have to have like $1000 in Sector Mechanicus kits to make a decent NM table), and so people didn't have a paint a shitload of terrain before they could play.

Take that as you will.

As an aside, "Gang War" is going to cost $30. It's 64 pages. I am not happy with that.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 7, 2017

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

JcDent posted:

Nobody trucked out the "needs $200 of terrain to play" argument for that one, though.

That's because it's a different kind of game entirely. I think the problem is that people are comparing old Necromunda to new. New Necromunda is a board game in a box, and you can get an expansion book to turn it into a campaign based full on 3D terrain miniatures game. $125 for two armies, the board, the terrain it does come with, dice/templates/stuff is a decent deal and in line with other single box GW games.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
you still need terrain to property play 40k tho :raise:

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

No idea what the point is...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

berzerkmonkey posted:

People will sell the components separately on Ebay, just like with every other GW boxed game in existence, so just pick up the rulebook there for $20 and be done with it.

Honestly this is what I would do, but geographic and currency problems make it an expensive pain in the rear end.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

You do, and that's a major limiter for the game since it means most people need access to an FLGS to play it.

Necromunda is meant to be playable out of the box and self-contained. Like Shadespire. Which I love because I can carry it around with me and play a game with people very easily.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Ya'll don't use stuff lying around your house to make terrain??

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

kids these days have no imagination

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Nebalebadingdong posted:

If you don't spend $200 on official terrain you're not really playing the game, you're just faking it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

You guys are some bitter boys. Jesus.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hey when does the big robot game come out again

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Probably never, FW is dragging their feet on several projects, like a new Imperial Armour book that has been promised a year or two ago and the HH rulebook, which is going to be 7e+.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

surprise, in 8th ed terrain is almost useless outside of giant line of sight blocking pieces

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Default FW answer for Everything is next year.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

S.J. posted:

surprise, in 8th ed terrain is almost useless outside of giant line of sight blocking pieces

Can confirm.

"How do you charge an enemy that is on the second floor of a building" was a question that went unanswered for like three months.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I assume you'd use the stairs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I assume you'd use the stairs.

They had charts, man.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

https://spikeybits.com/2017/06/adeptus-titanicus-walking-into-stores-this-year.html

Could be this year still, but hard to say. The Horus Heresy rulebook launch was delayed due to QC concerns but who knows if that affects SGs.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Ashtrays and random boxes "count-as terrain X" have been a staple on our warhammer fantasy games for years. When in need, you just use whatever you can.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shadin posted:

https://spikeybits.com/2017/06/adeptus-titanicus-walking-into-stores-this-year.html

Could be this year still, but hard to say. The Horus Heresy rulebook launch was delayed due to QC concerns but who knows if that affects SGs.
Titanicus will absolutely not be this year.

It might be next year. :gbsmith:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shadin posted:

Good lord, that's a scale jump.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Rebuy your army is a GW thing to do.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Angry Lobster posted:

Ashtrays and random boxes "count-as terrain X" have been a staple on our warhammer fantasy games for years. When in need, you just use whatever you can.

Let us not forget the time-honored 'stack of different books for a tiered hill' and 'beer can silo/tower'

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

JcDent posted:

How is relaunching an old board game “rebuying an army”?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, you can't rightly use your 6mm units next to the towering 8mm giants?

That is, if the game is ever released... and gets a non-titan supplement...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Yes, how dare they make a new game in a different scale.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

God forbid a company not care about some one time purchases made 20 years ago.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

God forbid a company not care about some one time purchases made 20 years ago.

Not to mention it's a board game. These components can't be used in 40k, no more than you can use Talisman or Fury of Dracula miniatures and put them into Age of Sigmar.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

When you're relaunching a game with bigger miniatures for no reason (6mm forumware stuff already looks amazing, and GHQ manages to do some amazing stuff, cheating 1/285 bastards that they are), it seems like they do it on purpose to pee into your cereal. Your nostalgia will make you want to play the game, and loving your army up will make you rebuy it.

Heck, that's what's happening with Bigmarines as far as I'm concerned. Just releasing bigger, more proportional Marines won't guarantee that you'll replace your army. And if you rebalance Marines to have 2W and be e expensive, that will mean that Marine players will need even less miniatures. But when you introduce numarines who are bigger and better and can't ride in the old transports (except for some superheavies), you can have Marines return to "baby's first army" status (especially when your units are all monoweapon and your commanders have zero options) with big miniatures and tought statlines, as well as signalling that old Marines will get no support and you need to build your army anew.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but I doubt we'll ever see a new smollmarine release, ever.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

JcDent posted:

When you're relaunching a game with bigger miniatures for no reason (6mm forumware stuff already looks amazing, and GHQ manages to do some amazing stuff, cheating 1/285 bastards that they are), it seems like they do it on purpose to pee into your cereal. Your nostalgia will make you want to play the game, and loving your army up will make you rebuy it.

Heck, that's what's happening with Bigmarines as far as I'm concerned. Just releasing bigger, more proportional Marines won't guarantee that you'll replace your army. And if you rebalance Marines to have 2W and be e expensive, that will mean that Marine players will need even less miniatures. But when you introduce numarines who are bigger and better and can't ride in the old transports (except for some superheavies), you can have Marines return to "baby's first army" status (especially when your units are all monoweapon and your commanders have zero options) with big miniatures and tought statlines, as well as signalling that old Marines will get no support and you need to build your army anew.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but I doubt we'll ever see a new smollmarine release, ever.

You realize:

1. Adeptus Titanicus came out in 1988. Let that sink in, you're arguing they should make the relaunch of a game 100% compatible with an entirely different version of it (New AT is not Epic), that launched when the Berlin wall was still standing.

2. Primaris/Truescale changes don't mean you have to rebuy your SM army. Nor will it ever. I'm glad they update sculpts, it's not my dream to still be playing with Space Marines from 1993 (though, I would like to point out, you absolutely can do. Your entire army could be made from 1993 metal sculpts and be valid).

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Shadin posted:

Not to mention it's a board game. These components can't be used in 40k, no more than you can use Talisman or Fury of Dracula miniatures and put them into Age of Sigmar.
No, it's not just a board game. It's re-release of an existing miniatures game, one for which GW has already put out (and people have already purchased) huge quantities of stuff.

Part of the nostalgic enthusiasm that people always have for these games is the idea of digging around in your basement, finding the box that has all your old Epic/Necromunda/Mordheim/BFG/GorkaMorka minis in it, dusting it off, reminiscing about the games you used to play with friends you used to have, and fervently hoping to recapture that magic - without having to sink hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into buying, assembling, and painting another freaking army. An army, I might add, that you'll pack away in a box in your basement in another 6 months to a year when GW/FW moves on and completely stops supporting the game that so tickled your nostalgia.

How often do we think we'll be seeing regular Blood Bowl releases now that Newcromunda is out?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
You're seriously pissy over a change of 2mm over 20 years? Are you loving serious?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Ilor posted:

No, it's not just a board game. It's re-release of an existing miniatures game, one for which GW has already put out (and people have already purchased) huge quantities of stuff.

Part of the nostalgic enthusiasm that people always have for these games is the idea of digging around in your basement, finding the box that has all your old Epic/Necromunda/Mordheim/BFG/GorkaMorka minis in it, dusting it off, reminiscing about the games you used to play with friends you used to have, and fervently hoping to recapture that magic - without having to sink hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into buying, assembling, and painting another freaking army. An army, I might add, that you'll pack away in a box in your basement in another 6 months to a year when GW/FW moves on and completely stops supporting the game that so tickled your nostalgia.

How often do we think we'll be seeing regular Blood Bowl releases now that Newcromunda is out?

See above. It's a new version of a game that came out in 1988. I'm sorry that companies make new products based on their existing IPs. Some people don't want just flat reissues of games from the 80s and 90s, I prefer that they actually update them. If they just re-launched old Necromunda, it wouldn't be half as interesting, because we've been playing that game for almost 25 years.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
At 6mm scale, that 2mm is a 33% change. Also, 6mm is a very common scale for terrain makers. 8mm? Not so much.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ilor posted:

At 6mm scale, that 2mm is a 33% change. Also, 6mm is a very common scale for terrain makers. 8mm? Not so much.

Just step back for just a second and look at how much it's worth getting mad over this, seriously. Have just a touch of self awareness about it please.

2mm. 20 years. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's really stupidly hard to collect an Epic army, and this is a kind of huge gently caress you to players who have done more to keep it alive than GW over 20 years.

Like, suppose the next MtG expansion used larger cards.