Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I like that there is a Jessica Jones book, but I don't think the current one is particularly good. I like that there is a Defenders book, but I don't think the current one is particularly good. The only thing I liked about Miles Morales was that he was a young Spider-man not bogged down in continuity and crossovers and being in every other book, and they put an end to that ages ago (though to be fair I have not read any of his current main title). But I have been really enjoying his current Iron Man run/s, and it's a shame that'll be over. On the other hand, there's no reason to think nobody else could take Riri and Doom and (presumably before Bendis leaves we'll have him back) Tony and make kickass stories with one or all of them.
Marvel HAS to take some risks on new talent, though. I had high hopes for Brisson because I liked where he was going before his series "The Violent" was cancelled, but nothing he's done for Marvel so far has been better than okay. And even if Spencer wasn't a piece of poo poo on a personal level, I can't recall anything he's done that I'd recommend except for Superior Foes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder what went on behind closed doors that made Bendis go 'gently caress it I'm out'. I not a big fan of his but I'm pretty sure he was Marvel's biggest remaining name, so...?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Zoro posted:

After the flop that was Civil War II and the fact that his recent work was getting stale and that his name was no longer really pulling in issues on its own, I think this was sort of inevitable. He's been on the decline for a while. The real question is who is Marvel going to get to replace them.
I want it to be Al Ewing, but it won't be.

Lurdiak posted:

I'd be more thrilled if this didn't make Slott the de facto top writer at Marvel.
Hey, I guess that means he'll finally get to claim the 'wrote the most Spider-Man issues' crown.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder what went on behind closed doors that made Bendis go 'gently caress it I'm out'. I not a big fan of his but I'm pretty sure he was Marvel's biggest remaining name, so...?

They stopped treating him like a superstar years ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

Maybe it was just time for a change? That happens for lots of people.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Hey, if DC can revive their whole line without firing their entire editorial regime, something I never would have thought possible at the beginning of last year, Marvel can do it too.

They probably won't, but it's at least possible!

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe it was just time for a change? That happens for lots of people.

Bendis leaving in and of itself would lead to that conclusion, but other writers have left and rumors of drama behind the scenes make this unlikely.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm surprised he went to DC instead of going indie it always seemed that his own projects (powers) suffered for the Marvel work. Or maybe he just doesn't know what to write there any more, it has been (slowly) going on forever.

I wonder if there's any implications for the DC movie stuff and if part of why they're bringing him on is to help out there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I'd be more thrilled if this didn't make Slott the de facto top writer at Marvel.

Maybe we'll get more from the Jekyll that wrote Silver Surfer instead of the Hyde that writes his other stuff.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 7, 2017

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder what went on behind closed doors that made Bendis go 'gently caress it I'm out'.

I really don't think anything like that happened. He's needed to change teams for a few years now. If Marvel was still kicking DC's rear end like it was a couple years ago, I think this would still happen.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

It's great because finally there will be a good writer writing my favorite character Miles Morales, who will bring him back to the core of the character that i loved, not a hack like Bendis who never understood what made Miles so great in the first place.

Kick him back to Mark Waid to keep mining that "not exactly Nova, adjacent to Cyclops" angle.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder if Alex Maleev will decide to work with DC more to team up with Bendis again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

I think it was CW2. He's probably smart enough to realize that he has nothing left to say with the universe.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Starsnostars posted:

I wonder if Alex Maleev will decide to work with DC more to team up with Bendis again.

David Finch is already working at DC, that's my great fear 😨

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Revol posted:

I really don't think anything like that happened. He's needed to change teams for a few years now. If Marvel was still kicking DC's rear end like it was a couple years ago, I think this would still happen.

The problem with this argument is both how much changed in three years and that DC editorial got it's act together (comparatively) much longer than that, so while sales sucked DC's creatives have been in a better position for much longer.

While Marvel's problems have been brewing underneath the surface for the better part of a decade and only now coming to light. Bendis isn't the only person jumping ship and a lot of Marvel's troubles (problems with retailers, dumb deals with arms dealers, ect) are now becoming common knowledge.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I wouldn't be surprised if DC just dropped a large sack of money and insurance benefits on Bendis's desk. Bendis has several children under 10, as I recall. Dude's gotta mind his bottom line.

(I wonder where he'll end up at DC. I'm guessing somewhere in the Bat-family.)

I hope Miles gets handed to somebody cool. Maybe Coates could take over.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Dual Detective and Action Comics, Catwoman, a Vertigo crime comic and Watchmen Crisis.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Wanderer posted:

e.

This is less a guess and more a hard fact.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Well, he did write Avengers for ten years. It wouldn't be that strange to see him on some custom JLA lineup, especially if they teamed him up with David Finch again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He writes Nightwing and somehow still introduces Kitty Pryde as Dick's new girlfriend

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I wonder if someone will undo BMB's needless Angela and Sera separation plot as soon as he leaves? For a guy with good intentions and an admirable, if occasionally misguided, sense of the importance of representation, it was a real faux pas to just shove Marvel's major trans character into extra special limbo, i.e. requiring a writer to create an explanation for her reappearance and therefore rendering any further appearances that bit more unlikely.

Actually, now that I think of it, it will be fascinating to see how many major hanging plot threads he will leave and whether these will be picked up on since he is a writer with a unique voice and major stature that is potentially quite intimidating. Hopefully I don't sound like I'm pointlessly hating by any stretch, but Bendis is the king of unresolved plot hooks without him leaving the company (presumably quite soon), even if this is simply due to him writing so many books at Marvel in an era of creative team and status quo shifts.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
"Bendis."
"Bendis?"
"The Marvel writer."
"The guy who did Spider-man?"
"Yes."
"What about him?"
"DC."
"DC? DC comics?"
"He's going to--"
"He's going to DC comics?"
"Yes."
"Huh."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Zoro posted:

"Bendis."
"Bendis?"
"The Marvel writer."
"Yes."
"What about him?"
"DC."
"DC? DC comics?"
"He's going to--"
"Yes."
"Huh."

Funny how yesterday's breath of fresh air becomes today's stale gimmicky writing tick.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lightning Lord posted:

Funny how yesterday's breath of fresh air becomes today's stale gimmicky writing tick.

I want to clear, I actually like Bendis and think he can write great books, but his ticks are overplayed a bit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Zoro posted:

"Bendis."
"Bendis?"
"The Marvel writer."
"Yes."
"What about him?"
"DC."
"DC? DC comics?"
"He's going to--"
"Yes."
"Huh."

Wasnt done over 6 posts with the beginning and middle parts of the conversation repeated every post.
3/10

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Bendis tackles Dan Slott into a volcano on his way out, saving us all and proving himself a real human being and a real hero all along

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

I hope Miles gets handed to somebody cool. Maybe Coates could take over.

I'd be most interested in Coates writing Peter Parker because it's clear from whenever he's written about Spidey in his columns that he's a huge Peter Parker fan, but he'd be good on Miles as well and not least because I imagine he'd be more interested in Miles himself than in Miles's dad. :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zoro posted:

"Bendis."
"Bendis?"
"The Marvel writer."
"Yes."
"What about him?"
"DC."
"DC? DC comics?"
"He's going to--"
"Yes."
"Huh."

"...I've fought Batman, y'know?"
"Batman?"
"Batman."
"The Batman?"
"The one and only."
"Not one of those other Batmen? Sure it wasn't a Robin?"
"A Robin? I wouldn't bring this up if it was a Robin."
"I think it was a Robin"
"It wasn't- it was not a Robin. I fought a Batman. The Batman."
"You. Fought Batman."
"Got a solid punch in, too."
"So you're telling me that You, a random dime a dozen goon not only fought Batman, not a Robin, mind you, but Batman, and came out unscratched and punched him."
"Well, I didn't say unscratched..."
"Did he stab you with a bataraang? kicked his boot into your buttocks? Unleashed the bats onto your back?"
"More like... I hit his gut, broke my hand, his stupid body armor was hard and fell back."
"You sure fought Batman."
"The Batman."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Miles has never been anything but a way to tell more Peter stories.

Edit: You know I bet Bendis decompression is really nice for the artists since comics still use page rates (as discussed in another thread.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: You know I bet Bendis decompression is really nice for the artists since comics still use page rates (as discussed in another thread.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Bendis always struck me as an artist-friendly sort of writer, since a lot of his stories have at least one big, wordless action moment that really lets an artist flex.

Granted, those sequences typically don't move the story forward very quickly, so it's not an efficient use of his page count, but it's still packed with good portfolio shots.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wanderer posted:

Bendis always struck me as an artist-friendly sort of writer, since a lot of his stories have at least one big, wordless action moment that really lets an artist flex.

Most writers who are also artists are, yeah.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Bendis? Writing?
Artists, for Bendis?
Bendis?
Writing for Artists?
Writers? Artists?
Writer/Artists?
Writers write?
Right?
Art right?
Alt-right?
KKK?
3 Ks?
3 + 1 = 4
4 WASHINGTON AVENUE
THE NEXT CLUE IS AT THE WHITE HOUSE

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Bendis? Writing?
Artists, for Bendis?
Bendis?
Writing for Artists?
Writers? Artists?
Writer/Artists?
Writers write?
Right?
Art right?
Alt-right?
KKK?
3 Ks?
3 + 1 = 4
4 WASHINGTON AVENUE

Nice aneurysm

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Wait, so what's the joke about Bendis' writing? I'm not sure I get it yet.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
the clue is that he's going to write Batman with Thomas Middleditch and Lauren Lapkus's Kid Detectives in supporting roles

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

Bendis? Writing?
Artists, for Bendis?
Bendis?
Writing for Artists?
Writers? Artists?
Writer/Artists?
Writers write?
Right?
Art right?
Alt-right?
KKK?
3 Ks?
3 + 1 = 4
4 WASHINGTON AVENUE

I got that reference.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I got that reference.

Me too but I'm too cool to tell anyone, unlike some people

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have never once implied I was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

the clue is that he's going to write Batman with Thomas Middleditch and Lauren Lapkus's Kid Detectives in supporting roles

Sold.

• Locked thread