Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Does anyone know what, exactly, Hiveworks does? They say they're a webcomic-focused comics publisher, but they don't seem to be like the old comics collectives at all, and they support comics I know have had to go to Kickstarter when they went to print, like Let's Speak English. Do they just pay for website hosting???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tollymain posted:

also i just want to point out it's gonna be loving weird for that kid when they discover loss

There's going to be a LOT of weird stuff for that kid when they discover their dad is Tim Buckley. Photos of his junk on the Internet, for example.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Mors Rattus posted:

Does anyone know what, exactly, Hiveworks does? They say they're a webcomic-focused comics publisher, but they don't seem to be like the old comics collectives at all, and they support comics I know have had to go to Kickstarter when they went to print, like Let's Speak English. Do they just pay for website hosting???

I was curious about this myself a while back; during one of their open submission periods I wanted to know if it would benefit me at all to attempt to join, so I reached out to a fellow webcomic author who is a member and asked. From what I remember it’s basically down to them handling the web hosting and site maintenance for you, as well as a bunch of other stuff. I don’t know that they have a hand in physical publishing, but I know that they will do things like advertise for you and handle the nitty-gritty of Kickstarter campaigns in addition to web hosting.

Basically it seems like Hiveworks will handle everything about publishing a webcomic that isn’t making the comic itself so the artist can focus on that. Ultimately I was left with the impression that if I didn’t find hosting and maintaining a website for my comic prohibitively expensive or time consuming (I don’t), or find advertising totally baffling (I sort of don’t?) then it’s really not for me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ham hands, steak pants, bird hair

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

JethroMcB posted:

There's going to be a LOT of weird stuff for that kid when they discover their dad is Tim Buckley. Photos of his junk on the Internet, for example.

Wasn't the infamous picture actually a recreation done by another dude

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I thought Hiveworks was basically just Keenspot with basic quality control and less entertaining people at the helm

JethroMcB posted:

let he who has not permanently engraved his tackle on the internet cast the first stone

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Wasn't the infamous picture actually a recreation done by another dude

IIRC the picture is an actual strip from the comic and came first, then that text post explaining how "Sometimes miscarriage can be just as hard on a man". But both were pure Buckley.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
p. sure calaveron's talking about the dick pic

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

John Allison has made the least surprising announcement of the year.

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/927936079415709697

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

HMS Beagle posted:

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/927936079415709697

I knew it

Also fuckin' again with the Robert Cop tease! Quit playing games with my heart!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

HMS Beagle posted:

This is all just an elaborate con of Robert Cop fans.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Mors Rattus posted:

they have an about page that kind of describes what they do. i pay for my domain name and they provide the layout, the backend tools, and hosting. they also manage my advertising, any kickstarters i would want to run and host/run the merch store. they're great and i owe them my life for taking a huge chunk of my job off my hands
e: while maintaining the rights to my own work lol!! which is very important

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

HMS Beagle posted:

Ahahahahaha he really can't let his comfort blanket go. Perhaps he could compromise by doing another Giant Days: take one established character and stick them in a entirely new environment, with new people? It worked for Esther.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I keep seeing ads for Star Power popping up, I looked into it and it's the Dominic Deegan guy writing. Naturally this throws up huge red flags so I'm asking here if it's worth a binge or not.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Ahahahahaha he really can't let his comfort blanket go. Perhaps he could compromise by doing another Giant Days: take one established character and stick them in a entirely new environment, with new people? It worked for Esther.

Nah. Bobbins will never die.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

khy posted:

I keep seeing ads for Star Power popping up, I looked into it and it's the Dominic Deegan guy writing. Naturally this throws up huge red flags so I'm asking here if it's worth a binge or not.

It's boringly mediocre instead of hilariously terrible.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i am joining hiveworks

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

khy posted:

I'd say no; unless you're extremely bored, or you really really love cheesy pulp sci-fi with "flawless" superheroes. The writing is a bit less stupid than Dominic Deegan (because it's not improvised daily; having to work with someone else forces Mookie to actually plan ahead and I suppose the artist can help wean out the worst ideas) but still pretty bad; and the art is competent enough but very generic. So it's not good enough to be interesting, and not bad enough to be funny.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zerilan posted:

It's boringly mediocre instead of hilariously terrible.

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd say no; unless you're extremely bored, or you really really love cheesy pulp sci-fi with "flawless" superheroes. The writing is a bit less stupid than Dominic Deegan (because it's not improvised daily; having to work with someone else forces Mookie to actually plan ahead and I suppose the artist can help wean out the worst ideas) but still pretty bad; and the art is competent enough but very generic. So it's not good enough to be interesting, and not bad enough to be funny.

Thanks for the info!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

"flawless" superheroes

Only thing I really remember from the first major arc was a montage flipping back and forth between how tragic the villain's past was and how great the protagonist's life was.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the old ceremony posted:

i am joining hiveworks

ill put in a good word

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
thank you, friend

my webcomic is about the brutality of the white race, and the need for regime change in america, through violence if necessary, that is to say the shooting of donald j trump resulting in his death

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the old ceremony posted:

thank you, friend

my webcomic is about the brutality of the white race, and the need for regime change in america, through violence if necessary, that is to say the shooting of donald j trump resulting in his death

are there cute boys

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Does your comic put the rear end back in assassinate?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

fun hater posted:

are there cute boys
yes

Cat Mattress posted:

Does your comic put the rear end back in assassinate?
absolutely. it also puts the fat back in fatwa

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Flying pretty close to the sun there, toc.

...in fact, my comic is going to be about how I want to gently caress the sun.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mods please tell us how lowtax's next visit from the secret service goes tia

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i believe true art should push the envelope

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I don't think this is "pushing the envelope" as it is "burning the post office down along with several neighboring buildings."

khy
Aug 15, 2005

wiegieman posted:

Mods please tell us how lowtax's next visit from the secret service goes tia

I was reading this article the other day
https://theoutline.com/post/2437/who-banned-roger-stone

And this thread keeps reminding me of it

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

That shadow ban thing is pretty clever.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
In today's Poppy, exactly what I was waiting for :allears:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Dear Morbi,

I understand that for whatever reason you appear to have a website that you manually update instead of some form of automation, but could you please remember to update the "check out the newest update $DATE" thing on the main page at the same time ?

thanks

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Looks like Vattu's focus might be returning to the Flutelands for the first time in a loooong time. Like 623 strips from a quick check.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Parts Kit posted:

Looks like Vattu's focus might be returning to the Flutelands for the first time in a loooong time. Like 623 strips from a quick check.

I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

For folks who want to re-read (or have not yet read) Vattu, and would rather do it offline, an archive of all the 877 existing pages is available for free through Nov 20th:
https://gumroad.com/l/HDtpe

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the old ceremony posted:

thank you, friend

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

nooooo :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
God dammit, Avshalom.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

God dammit, Avshalom.

:lol: I knew it was her. (also I don't care if it wasn't, their gimmick got stale months ago anyway)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nine-gear crow posted:

:lol: I knew it was her. (also I don't care if it wasn't, their gimmick got stale months ago anyway)

It was pretty obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
avshalom is dead

long live avshalom