Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You don't need to line up your caster perfectly for spells anymore, you can align the direction the spell will head during the cast.

This is why Heaven Skink Priests are terrifying as all gently caress: not only are they riding a dinosaur, they can also drop their super-cheap breath spell at good angles without having to manuever.

Mind you, I still keep them on Terradons because I like to put banners on them for mobile buffs, as well as preferring them as a mobile support unit in case a flanker needs magical aid or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Flying mounts for casters are still great so that you can cast spells from outside the safety of your lines and not worry about getting mauled by cav or fast monsters. They can also be really useful for providing rear charges if you need just a little extra push to break an enemy unit but don't have anything else that can flank quickly.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Amber wizards at least can get gryphons with terror, idk what other factions get access to flying terror for casters

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So what's Tomb King magic like? Or do they just use Death?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Looks like Light, Death, and a unique lore. Lore attribute is a heal, signature spell gives an allied unit a free move, then buffs for giving out killing blow, ward saves, and extra attacks, hexes for slowing or damage/toughness reduction, and a vortex

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Mortal Empires somehow made the Empire start even more precarious on legendary, and not because of new threats, at least not usually. Instead it's the Varg and Vampire Counts; making GBS threads out 15 armies from newly conquered Kislev and the World's Edge Mountains.

I'm thinking I should blitz Sylvania early, and then when the Varg invariably declare war on Kislev, scoop it out from under them. Maybe then I'll live long enough to actually see the chaos invasion.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Looks like Light, Death, and a unique lore. Lore attribute is a heal, signature spell gives an allied unit a free move, then buffs for giving out killing blow, ward saves, and extra attacks, hexes for slowing or damage/toughness reduction, and a vortex

They're also like Vampire Counts in that every army must have at least one spellcaster who knows the unique lore

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Does Vlad's coven of undeath ability still create super veteran garrisons factionwide?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

sassassin posted:

Does Vlad's coven of undeath ability still create super veteran garrisons factionwide?

It does yeah. So does the Bretonnian high-chivalry bonus but only the player faction can ever benefit from that one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
More specifically does the "local armies"/provincewide part effect local garrisons so they level up faster than other ones?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

They're also like Vampire Counts in that every army must have at least one spellcaster who knows the unique lore

Wonder how they're going to implement this? As in, your lords options are fairly static in Liche Priests, and Tomb Kings themselves are instead Heroes?

That'd seem a bit weird, I think CA will say screw the lore in that sense and let you pick either as a Lord option.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

To add to this: a notable distinction is that this caster, in tabletop, did not have to be the army’s general - indeed, Tomb Kings themselves did not have casting abilities in 8th edition (in 6th they had bound spell versions of 2 of the faction’s spells, but TK spellcasting got overhauled in 8th), with the exception of Settra and Arkhan.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Wonder how they're going to implement this? As in, your lords options are fairly static in Liche Priests, and Tomb Kings themselves are instead Heroes?

That'd seem a bit weird, I think CA will say screw the lore in that sense and let you pick either as a Lord option.

My guess is they give all the tomb kings bound spells like in 6th or make them all level 1 wizards like settra in 8th, or just ditch the heirophant mechanic entirely since hero squads ganking lords in multiplayer is already super lame

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Probably like Vampire Counts do for Strigoi Ghoul Kings vs Vampire lords. Tomb Kings are prime shitwreckers and get access to the lore of Nekahara, but at reduced efficiency and/or can't overcast like Ghoul Kings. Meanwhile Liche Priests are less potent melee combatants, but get lore mastery over Lore of Nekehara and are able to do overcasting for their spells.

IIRC on the tabletop Lore of Nekahara was pretty weak especially when compared to lore of blood/vampires, but that might have been more due to tabletop balance issues rather than developer intent at that time.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought Skaven used like muskets and stuff?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Turtlicious posted:

muskets are for unimaginative no-furs. :science:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Right but like, I thought they were WW2 Rats with like Guns, and Gatling guns and poo poo? I' love all the mad scientist poo poo, but literally the entirety of my knowledge about them is "They have guns" and they do not, in fact, have guns in this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Turtlicious posted:

They are missing some units. Notably Ratling gunners (machine gun weapon team), Jeazzail rifles (huge rear end sniper rifle weapon team) and none of their heroes are using Warplock pistols. Which are basically flintlock pistols that shoot irradiated bullets

They don't have like normal longarms though.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Right but like, I thought they were WW2 Rats with like Guns, and Gatling guns and poo poo? I' love all the mad scientist poo poo, but literally the entirety of my knowledge about them is "They have guns" and they do not, in fact, have guns in this.

I imagine the lack of warplock jezzails and ratling guns was either for balance or for dlc. Instead of guns, TW Skaven throw a lot of stuff. Granted, they did on the tabletop as well, but in this they have an even larger array of stuff to throw.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

In the lore and on TT they have guns so it's likely that the warplock jezzails and ratling guns will be introduced at a later date

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 7, 2017

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Clan Skryre themed DLC for the shooty stuff. Maybe giant rats+hero/LL for a Moulder DLC? I'm assuming that Pestilens with Skrolk + plague monks and Eshin with Assassin heroes + Gutter Runners etc are considered fully released already.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Zore posted:

They are missing some units. Notably Ratling gunners (machine gun weapon team), Jeazzail rifles (huge rear end sniper rifle weapon team) and none of their heroes are using Warplock pistols. Which are basically flintlock pistols that shoot irradiated bullets

They don't have like normal longarms though.

Engineers can also use warplock muskets

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
This game was somehow using 12GB of RAM earlier.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Foxhound posted:

This game was somehow using 12GB of RAM earlier.

Maybe the ai was using it as a seige weapon.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Nah it was the VCCM mod I think. Everything just ground to a halt and then the AI tried to initiate a siege battle and it just crashed.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Probably like Vampire Counts do for Strigoi Ghoul Kings vs Vampire lords. Tomb Kings are prime shitwreckers and get access to the lore of Nekahara, but at reduced efficiency and/or can't overcast like Ghoul Kings. Meanwhile Liche Priests are less potent melee combatants, but get lore mastery over Lore of Nekehara and are able to do overcasting for their spells.

IIRC on the tabletop Lore of Nekahara was pretty weak especially when compared to lore of blood/vampires, but that might have been more due to tabletop balance issues rather than developer intent at that time.

I think they said that they won't be doing generic caster lords except in cases where they're really iconic, like the Grey Seers and Slaan. It may be that they'll work the same as the elves, with Tomb Kings and Tombs Queens as lords (with different weapons) and priests as heroes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

rockopete posted:

Clan Skryre themed DLC for the shooty stuff. Maybe giant rats+hero/LL for a Moulder DLC? I'm assuming that Pestilens with Skrolk + plague monks and Eshin with Assassin heroes + Gutter Runners etc are considered fully released already.

I'm hoping the do Ikit Claw as a downloadable LL and he brings warplock jezzails with him. I think rats deserve a cheap sniper unit that will break on contact with the enemy, but they should make them like nasty skulkers with hide and whatever so they can take their first shot from woods or range before a flyer comes down to smash them. Make them hit hard enough to seriously hurt a hero unit but be wasted on large enemies and line infantry.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Who would Eshin's LL be?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Yes, unfortunately. Reload and wait until she recovers.

drat I didn't see this and now about 30 turns have passed :( Malekith will have to invade High Elf land on his own.

Some of the potential extra unit DLC for this game I've seen discussed itt sounds awesome, I will pay good money to field Ratling Gunner units. Skaven definitely need more ways to fire indiscriminately into a big mass of slaves and enemies.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I finished off the HE vortex campaign and started up Chaos as Archeon.

Is the general strategy to sack a town then turn around and raze it? That's what I've been doing and been racking up the skill points.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SirPhoebos posted:

Who would Eshin's LL be?

Deathmaster Snikch is the only one that has a bit to go on since they're so sneaky and secretive or whatever. Have a stealth LL would be pretty interesting. Giving him some ability like "freedom of movement" or whatever you'd call it so e could disengage combats and move without being jammed up would be cool. Moving from one combat to the next murdering fools before darting away to the next.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Deathmaster Snikch is the only one that has a bit to go on since they're so sneaky and secretive or whatever. Have a stealth LL would be pretty interesting. Giving him some ability like "freedom of movement" or whatever you'd call it so e could disengage combats and move without being jammed up would be cool. Moving from one combat to the next murdering fools before darting away to the next.

To balance that out he would have to be extremely fragile.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

I finished off the HE vortex campaign and started up Chaos as Archeon.

Is the general strategy to sack a town then turn around and raze it? That's what I've been doing and been racking up the skill points.

The strategy is to wait until they patch in the Foundation update changes to Chaos that make the faction less irritating to play.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

To balance that out he would have to be extremely fragile.

Yeah of course. Have him bestow Vlad level army buffs like hiding everyone or something, but make his ability like a 45 second CD and give him 1k HP max. Would be fun as hell to play as, but a fuckup would be disastrous. Basically requires that your infantry are all in the fight, then the little psycho dude engages and kills until it's hot, then moves on to greener pastures, rinse repeat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

JBP posted:

Yeah of course. Have him bestow Vlad level army buffs like hiding everyone or something, but make his ability like a 45 second CD and give him 1k HP max. Would be fun as hell to play as, but a fuckup would be disastrous. Basically requires that your infantry are all in the fight, then the little psycho dude engages and kills until it's hot, then moves on to greener pastures, rinse repeat.

And then someone casts any spell on him or a hero-class unit manages to hit him once and he falls over dead immediately.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Go full whatever the name of the ninja clan was in Shogun 2 and give stealth to every unit.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

StashAugustine posted:

Amber wizards at least can get gryphons with terror, idk what other factions get access to flying terror for casters

Any fire mage with a flying mount is effectively a flying terror unit. Except instead of inspiring fear via the mount, they inspire fear through the massive pile of charred corpses they create every time they cast a spell. It's doubly effective because not only will units break and run from them, you've probably killed 3/4 of the unit at the same time.

Fun fact - The Burning Head bounces back when it hits a wall inside a settlement. I couldn't possibly imagine the benefits you might realize from having a double-overcast Burning Head make multiple passes over a large group of defenders.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 8, 2017

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Vargs posted:

The strategy is to wait until they patch in the Foundation update changes to Chaos that make the faction less irritating to play.

And that's coming when? I suppose I can go back to Skaven or the six other factions I wanna play...

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Go full whatever the name of the ninja clan was in Shogun 2 and give stealth to every unit.

The Rattori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Krazyface posted:

The Rattori.

Spray musk of stealth!