Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

K. Waste posted:

And, no, it's not less desaturated.

As I've pointed out in other threads, Snyder's photography is not 'desaturated.' It's high contrast. And even here, there is relatively little difference in contrast. The difference is in depth and framing. Also notice how you can't see Arthur's shoulders in the latter as opposed to the former. Conversely, Bruce's shoulders take up more space in the Whedon shot, and the compression of the lends also gives him a broader stance and appearance.

I think there is a pretty significant different in contrast. There's a much stronger difference in the lighting on the left and right halves of Affleck's face in the first one, for instance.

There's a difference in dialogue between the two, right? I haven't actually watched them. I assume the jowlier Affleck is making more jokes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Also pretty big difference in color and contrast between the Comic Con sneak peak and latest footage.

New footage is bluer overall, more fill in the shadows, less contrast. It also looks a lot softer, but I'm guessing that's crappy YouTube encode and not the movie itself.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

All the texture in the scene is gone. Looks like everything is airbrushed.

Turn down that bloom, son. It's washing out everything else!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Waiting on that Snyder/Junkie XL cut.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

"Soften that image up a bit! We wouldn't want Arthur to look too threatening because the audience might suddenly forget what movie this is and be uneasy about there being actual tension."

God dammit, Joss.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Calm down, it's probably more one of two things

1) YouTube compression
2) Joss not knowing how lenses work very well and saying "close enough"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Violator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gglkYMGRYlE

Compare the scene to the version shown in the original Comic Con sneak peak. You can tell in the CC footage he says something to piss Aquaman off because he does that slight head tilt before getting thrown against the wall but we don't hear what it is. Some of the dialog is shifted around, too. In the new footage he says "Arthur Curry..." in a strained voice as he's lowered down the wall. In the original footage, he's standing face to face and says it. The original CC footage feels a bit more serious in both dialog and visual style.

What a mess. It's gonna be a gross chimera of the worst of both directors linked together with sloppy editing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm imagining the alternate universe where Snyder asked George Miller to do the reshoots and I'm going mad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm going to watch Logan in black and white

Never watched the color version

Does the movie lend itself to black and white?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

K. Waste posted:

"Soften that image up a bit! We wouldn't want Arthur to look too threatening because the audience might suddenly forget what movie this is and be uneasy about there being actual tension."

God dammit, Joss.

He looks more threatening in the 2nd one. Thought why they gave him Lou Ferrigno's Hulk contacts ...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Want to know why it's easier to blame Whedon, outside of personal taste and ignoring that he's a loving creep? Danny Elfman was his idea and that score in all the footage has been really bad. He used Elfman on Avengers 2 as well. The soundtrack is a major part of a movie and loving it up can bring the movie down. I'd like to blame it all on Elfman being a hack these days and doing a low-effort job but Whedon could have stepped in any time and told him what kind of direction he wanted the music to go in.

So what other bone-headed decisions did he make? Not that I'm saying Zack Snyder doesn't make bad decisions but given how hosed up the music is, it isn't an unfair assumption that it's probably Whedon's fault.

It begins....

I would say that apportioning blame to either Snyder or Whedon before the movie comes out is pretty useless, but I'd say the same when the movie comes out and until the real stories behind who's responsible for what filters out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Btw Snyder picked Joss so it's all his fault. Period.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shageletic posted:

It begins....

I would say that apportioning blame to either Snyder or Whedon before the movie comes out is pretty useless, but I'd say the same when the movie comes out and until the real stories behind who's responsible for what filters out.

It's pretty easy to blame Whedon for the music because it was all created under his direction. This is all known. Junkie XL was let go after Zack Snyder left. It's not conjecture.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

opposites attract yo

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

K. Waste posted:

God dammit, Joss.

I can actually see what's on the screen! I approve of this change.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I can actually see what's on the screen! I approve of this change.

lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jimbot posted:

It's pretty easy to blame Whedon for the music because it was all created under his direction. This is all known. Junkie XL was let go after Zack Snyder left. It's not conjecture.

How much Snyder played in that decision as I'm pretty sure he still was suggesting things from afar is not known, and even if in fact the music is terrible as a whole is definitely not.

I mean it is bizarro world, because I'm arguing to give a DC movie a chance, but it hasn't even come out yet.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

A lot of the JL clips look like they were filmed for television.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shageletic posted:

How much Snyder played in that decision as I'm pretty sure he still was suggesting things from afar is not known, and even if in fact the music is terrible as a whole is definitely not.

I mean it is bizarro world, because I'm arguing to give a DC movie a chance, but it hasn't even come out yet.

I can't parse what is being said here. People who leave projects don't give feedback from afar, that's not how things works. If he did and his suggestions had as much weight, then why both hiring a different director? And why would he go in a completely opposite decision for the soundtrack from his previous two films? I'm not jumping through major mental gymnastics here. It's pretty easy to parse some of these things.

A director steps down. A new one is hired. The composer is replaced. A new one comes in with a new score. The score is bad. I mean, by this logic, Junkie XL is culpable for this soundtrack too since I'm sure he gave feedback from afar, despite it sounding nothing like his body of work.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1LWeTnWh9E&t=38s

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

You’re missing the context.

Snyder, exasperated from being constantly pushed to include more quips and references, said “if you want to make some Avengers garbage, why don’t you just call up Joss Whedon?”

The executive’s eyes lit up like “eureka!”, and history was made.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Burkion posted:

Why would you even waste time watching it in black and white? It's not Schindler's List, it's a swordy-hands-man movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Snyder's son died, wouldn't blame him for just being over the JL chapter of his life and not caring who finishes it.

The next step is for Marvel to look at Russo brothers and decide pair directing is best plan from now on. They're doing it with Avengers 3+4 & Capt Marvel iirc.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Electromax posted:

Snyder's son died, wouldn't blame him for just being over the JL chapter of his life and not caring who finishes it.

Daughter, but yeah.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He should keep making weird shorts with his iPhone. They're more fun and inspiring.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I can't parse what is being said here. People who leave projects don't give feedback from afar, that's not how things works. If he did and his suggestions had as much weight, then why both hiring a different director? And why would he go in a completely opposite decision for the soundtrack from his previous two films? I'm not jumping through major mental gymnastics here. It's pretty easy to parse some of these things.

A director steps down. A new one is hired. The composer is replaced. A new one comes in with a new score. The score is bad. I mean, by this logic, Junkie XL is culpable for this soundtrack too since I'm sure he gave feedback from afar, despite it sounding nothing like his body of work.

I looked it up and it looks Snyder definitively stepped away from the movie after he left, mea culpa.

But I still think it's a little too soon to say that the score is bad if we have only heard 1 minute snippets of it.

And I still think its way too early to say whether a movie sucks unless it comes out and people have already seen it.

Personally I'm not exactly hyped, but I still find the finger pointing already occurring to be weird and baffling.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Just wanted to chime in and say JL looks godawful, cheers

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A WSJ article said it's pretty clear from the movie that the action scenes were most Snyder's direction and the dialogue ones are mostly Whedon.

In a news that might be related to movies, Brian Michael Bendis has signed an exclusive multi-year deal to write comics for DC. Bendis has been in charge of many recent Marvel series, but he was also part of Ike Perlmutter's 'advisory board' that was offering suggestions to Marvel Studio's productions. I guess this mean Perlmutter's influence is lessening even with the comics.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crows Turn Off posted:

Why would you even waste time watching it in black and white? It's not Schindler's List, it's a swordy-hands-man movie.

Because it's an official black and white version of the movie and the director said that the film was specifically made to be shown in black and white

So I'm curious how far up his own rear end he is since very few films nowadays are consciously made to look good that way

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Burkion posted:

Because it's an official black and white version of the movie and the director said that the film was specifically made to be shown in black and white

So I'm curious how far up his own rear end he is since very few films nowadays are consciously made to look good that way

Spoiler alert: It looks mediocre both ways.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It looks great. Do not Lamps this thread up please for the love of holy Christ

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Bendis news is pretty crazy. He's basically Marvel Comics's Geoff John's.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Calm down, it's probably more one of two things

1) YouTube compression
2) Joss not knowing how lenses work very well and saying "close enough"

No. We need to get down the serious business of figuring out who to blame for why this movie (probably) sucks.

Burkion posted:

Seems like it would lend itself perfectly to B&W, yes. It was good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Bendis news is pretty crazy. He's basically Marvel Comics's Geoff John's.

Oh, I'd love it if he came in and said, "Hal's dead, Barry's dead, Carter's dead."

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Davros1 posted:

Oh, I'd love it if he came in and said, "Hal's dead, Barry's dead, Carter's dead."

Is Bendis just there to write, or is he getting some kind of deal to work other media as well?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

I really want a Johns vs Bendis division and drama.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

logan probably looks fine in b&w in that i can't recall the original doing a single interesting thing with color

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I wonder what Shane looks like in black and white

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Electromax posted:

The next step is for Marvel to look at Russo brothers and decide pair directing is best plan from now on. They're doing it with Avengers 3+4 & Capt Marvel iirc.

The return of Neveldine/Taylor? Or Wachowskis? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Jankel and Morton can make their big comeback from Super Mario Bros.

• Locked thread