Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Do we know when the terrifics book with plastic man starts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. I didn't remember Dead Poets right. I thought it was some solidarity table standing.

edit: I'll keep adding speculation. If there's still any Watchmen crossover hanging after Doomsday Clock, he'll definitely be doing that event.

oh dear god no. Anything Bendis does with Watchmen will make Doomsday Clock look like, well, Watchmen by comparison.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

frameset posted:

Do we know when the terrifics book with plastic man starts?

February 7th.

Edit: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news-columns/first-bendis-dc-book/
Multiversity (the site) Bendis speculation is mostly on Green Lantern and Shazam.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 7, 2017

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

purple death ray posted:

Oh if they boot Tynion off of Detective I'm out. I don't care if theyre replacing him with Stan freaking Lee. No deal.

Can you imagine Bendis writing Cass?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is what's worrisome.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/928011161357901824

Please do not emulate Brad Meltzer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Maybe he read IC and thought of a thousand different ways he could have made it better.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's like Geoff Johns going over to Marvel and referencing Mark Millar as his inspiration

Or Chuck Dixon X-Men

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If he brings Alex Maleev with him I'd loving love Bendis on something like Nightwing or Catwoman.

Just don't let him near any characters with magic. No Zatanna or Constantine.

Edit: what's Lex Luthor's current status, because Bendis was good at writing Norman Osbourne as evil President Lex, and good at writing Doc Doom as a reformed super villain trying to do good, so if DC wants a solo Lex book he'd be a good person for either version.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 8, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hey, he might be referencing Meltzer's work on Green Arrow, which is definitely worth emulating and actually sort of Bendisish, kinda, a little bit.

Lex Luthor is currently still in a "good guy" phase where he's wearing his patented Superman armor and generally flying around Metropolis trying to be Superman, but the notable thing is that he actually, genuinely seems to tolerate working alongside Superman for now and even helping him in various situations.

Y'know. For now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Condolences DC fans.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BrianWilly posted:

Hey, he might be referencing Meltzer's work on Green Arrow, which is definitely worth emulating and actually sort of Bendisish, kinda, a little bit.

Lex Luthor is currently still in a "good guy" phase where he's wearing his patented Superman armor and generally flying around Metropolis trying to be Superman, but the notable thing is that he actually, genuinely seems to tolerate working alongside Superman for now and even helping him in various situations.

Y'know. For now.

Just a quiet night... looking at the stars

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Y'know. For now.

Lex Luthor and/or Victor von Doom sliding back into villainy are probably what will finally get me to stop buying Big 2 comics :smith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

If he brings Alex Maleev with him I'd loving love Bendis on something like Nightwing or Catwoman.

It was such a bummer that his N52 stint was just for an arc of blimmin' Batman: The Dark Knight.

edit: BMB's reading pile.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbOEeq9hDHM/?taken-by=brianmbendis

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Someone's monkey paw just closed a single finger.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Someone's monkey paw just closed a single finger.

"I wish Brian Michael Bendis never wrote another Marvel book again!" shouted Lurdiak, hurling the withered monkey's paw across the room. Leaving in a huff, they did not notice a decrepit digit curling ominously on the cursed totem.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

BrianWilly posted:

I disagree, it's pretty bad. All of Meltzer's DC work is. It's just that Green Arrow is probably the least terrible, especially compared to the 90 car pileup that is Identity Crisis. My hope is that Bendis is just paying lip service to someone who's respected by DC corporate. It's like if someone notable was coming on board Marvel like five years ago, they might have hit him up :thunk:

Looking at that stack of trades, aside from :stonk: at IC, my takeaways are: Why Johns' Titans instead of New Teen Titans? It's very Johns heavy, except that there's none of his Flash work. Also, no solo Batman stuff, which is kind of surprising. Even if he's not writing Batman, you'd think he'd get some Jim Aparo trades just to look at Aparo art. JLI and Gotham Central are no-brainers. Also, more Legion collections please. I mean, there's only three that have Giffen's work, and volume 3 and 4 (which is Five Years Later) are amazing. I'm glad they're starting to reprint the Grell era but come on. At least they've made most of this available digitally.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 8, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I assume he's read plenty of DC comics before making that pile.

I just finished reading Watchmen for the first time. If nothing else, Doomsday Clock got me to finally dust off that trade

'Ol Jeffy Johns has my blessing to exploit it. Not that I hated it and the curse of GRIMDARK it cast on the world, but eff sacred cows.

edit: Just put the movie on for the first time since release and it is hilarious how everyone's acting the comic out. I didn't like it back then simply as a movie, but I wish I did know the comic. It adds a lot of comedy.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 8, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I assume he's read plenty of DC comics before making that pile.

I just finished reading Watchmen for the first time. If nothing else, Doomsday Clock got me to finally dust off that trade

'Ol Jeffy Johns has my blessing to exploit it. Not that I hated it and the curse of GRIMDARK it cast on the world, but eff sacred cows.

I know but I'm saying, if I was going to be rereading a bunch of DC, I'd make sure to include some Aparo. I wonder if the pile is actual homework or more just to hint at what he's going to or wants to write?

The reaction to Watchmen by people coming to it after having read other things that came out in the wake of it is interesting. Aside from giving Geoff permission to exploit his work, Moore would probably agree with you.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: Just put the movie on for the first time since release and it is hilarious how everyone's acting the comic out. I didn't like it back then simply as a movie, but I wish I did know the comic. It adds a lot of comedy.

It really feels like some teenager running a Watchmen adventure in his favorite tabletop superhero RPG, but changing things to make it more x-treme. Like all the slow-mo fighting and how Nite Owl and Silk Spectre can shatter concrete with their bare fists, and of course the ending

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It's an unpopular opinion these days, but I think if anything Watchmen is underrated. People talk so much about its relation to comics and the comics industry that they often don't talk about it as a work in itself, but as a standalone work I think it is very good indeed. I agree we shouldn't have sacred cows, but sometimes when a cow stops being sacred it still seems pretty peerless among bovines.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

It was such a bummer that his N52 stint was just for an arc of blimmin' Batman: The Dark Knight.

edit: BMB's reading pile.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbOEeq9hDHM/?taken-by=brianmbendis

No human being would stack books like that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I like when people can't separate Meltzer's plots from his dialogue/character moments. He sucks at one, and is really good at the other. Kind of like Bendis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

I like when people can't separate Meltzer's plots from his dialogue/character moments. He sucks at one, and is really good at the other. Kind of like Bendis.

His character moments are pretty bad too. I can see how they might be 'okay on paper' but character moments need proper context to hit well and his don't except in the most basic 'lol, killed a pregnant woman' way.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

vegetables posted:

It's an unpopular opinion these days, but I think if anything Watchmen is underrated. People talk so much about its relation to comics and the comics industry that they often don't talk about it as a work in itself, but as a standalone work I think it is very good indeed. I agree we shouldn't have sacred cows, but sometimes when a cow stops being sacred it still seems pretty peerless among bovines.

Yeah, I agree. Watchmen has always been A Very Good Comic. It's just not the loving Bible that people hold it up as.

E: also the best part of the movie is the slo-mo sex scene set to Leonard Cohen and ending with a flamespurt money shot.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

WW 34 is going to put me in a bad mood for a week. What a half-baked, half-assed story this has been.

I’m glad I stopped buying this book when James “JUSTICE!” Robinson came on, but Rebirth has lost a lot of its luster at this point ‘cuz I’m down to reading a mere fraction of books I was when this shebang started. Of the whole lot, Detective Comics is really the only one that has stayed consistently stellar to this day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

WW 34 is going to put me in a bad mood for a week. What a half-baked, half-assed story this has been.

I’m glad I stopped buying this book when James “JUSTICE!” Robinson came on, but Rebirth has lost a lot of its luster at this point ‘cuz I’m down to reading a mere fraction of books I was when this shebang started. Of the whole lot, Detective Comics is really the only one that has stayed consistently stellar to this day.

Why do you continue to read Wonder Woman when all you do is complain about it?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

For your benefit, duh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, I agree. Watchmen has always been A Very Good Comic. It's just not the loving Bible that people hold it up as.

E: also the best part of the movie is the slo-mo sex scene set to Leonard Cohen and ending with a flamespurt money shot.

Watchmen is, legitimately, one the high points of comics as an art form. It shows a ton of what can be done with the medium just through the art and structure and layout even entirely divorced from the story. Even if you removed every single dialogue bubble from the comic it would still be a fantastic comic because of how it uses layout, panel composition, coloring, shading, and basically everything that makes it a comic. The story gets a lot of focus because the story itself is extremely meticulously crafted and it's easier to point to, but Watchmen is a fantastic comic even just on its art alone. It is why Doomsday Clock is boring because it has pretty lame half-assed artwork so even if the story was superb it would still be struggling to match the original.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm just taking Doomsday Clock for what it is.

Dumb bullshit to have a laugh about.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

February 7th.

Edit: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news-columns/first-bendis-dc-book/
Multiversity (the site) Bendis speculation is mostly on Green Lantern and Shazam.

Not sure if Brian Salvatore is being intentionally a jerk, but that's how I read it.

Brian Salvatore:
“World’s Finest” – give him the two biggest characters in the company right off the bat, and make it light on continuity, so he can do whatever he wants to do. Which is probably stretch a simple, 3 issue arc over 24

Also, that's hilarious.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

For your benefit, duh.

I mean, it's your money, but just look at how happy I am not reading Teen Titans after it became clear that series was doing nothing but disappointing me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I haven’t bought an issue with my money since Robinson’s fun started, as I mentioned. :buddy:

Y’know what, I wish people should complain about bad comics MORE. I’d be doing it now if I wasn’t on my phone! Maybe that way this thread wouldn’t be so dead all the time, excepting the impending Bendispocalypse! The Marvel thread was a riot, mostly figuratively, during Secret Empire!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm more interested in hearing good things, tbh.

Complaining about bad things is fun, but it gets old fast for me.

But you do you

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm too old to focus on everything I think sucks, it's just depressing. I try to focus on what is good and fun.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anyway, Jeff Lemire's upcoming run at DC is a lot more interesting than what Bendis might do. I think that's jusylt a given though.

I have to wonder what writers like Jason Aaron would have done with DC. I imagine Jason Aaron would be great on Wonder Woman.

What Marvel writers do you guys want to do on DC books?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Anyway, Jeff Lemire's upcoming run at DC is a lot more interesting than what Bendis might do. I think that's jusylt a given though.

I have to wonder what writers like Jason Aaron would have done with DC. I imagine Jason Aaron would be great on Wonder Woman.

What Marvel writers do you guys want to do on DC books?

Hickman Green Lantern.
Aaron Hawkman.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Watch bendis write identity crisis 2

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Amazons Attack 2

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Cry for justice 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I haven’t bought an issue with my money since Robinson’s fun started, as I mentioned. :buddy:

If you're suggesting a certain naughty way of reading comics... ixnay.

Anyway. Action Comics. Oz Effect.
All it took to end that was snapping his stick?!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 8, 2017