Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Guess we know why Spender's car has a man's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The page that, in retrospect, should've given away that it was Spender. Why now, of all times, is he suddenly suffering because of the pain he's been pretending not to feel?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don’t remember Isaac telling Max who Hijack is.

It was in a text, it happened right before the cowboy standoff.

So this page kinda gets really interesting post reveal. Hijack was willing to hurt Isabel during the hitball game, but then he has the whole conversation with her and ends up caring about her and not wanting to crush the sentiment of that conversation with the reveal. The text he sends to Zarei is asking her how to prevent loving everything up.

Hijack is suddenly a really interesting character now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rand Brittain posted:

And on top of it all, it looks like Garcia and Spender are dating?

Or used to date and are amicable, since Spender seemed to have a crush on the lady teacher?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I prefer them to be currently dating, since it means dark and broody mystery man Garcia draws little hearts on his boyfriend's lunch bag :swoon:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That's more logical, yeah.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Went to go take another look at hitball and drat, that was two years ago.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-105

This page makes it obvious in retrospect. The attempt at gathering intel on what the kids know, the stammer on the reply to Isabel (after she said Hijack had an evil heart and that she'd be the one to take him out), the defense of Wii Sports...

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
This comic is insanely good

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

It just hit me how much Isabel and Issac in this chapter are acting as a mirror to Zarei and Spender.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-212

Not at the moment, hah! This webcomic is great.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cat Mattress posted:

This page makes it obvious in retrospect. The attempt at gathering intel on what the kids know, the stammer on the reply to Isabel (after she said Hijack had an evil heart and that she'd be the one to take him out), the defense of Wii Sports...

Wii Sports is a good game, Cat.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cat Mattress posted:

Wii Sports is a great game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Does Hijack know about last night?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

He was there with Zarei so yeah.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I'm assuming Hijack was bluffing there mostly.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Of course Spender wouldn't compliment Isaac.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dias posted:

Wii Sports is a good game, Cat.

Who What Now posted:

Wii Sports is a great game.

Oh wow, we have two hijacked posters here!

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

My faith in this comic... Restored.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Falstaff posted:

My faith in this comic... Restored.

Unless the next update is 7000 parts, I'm not convinced.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hope Zack starts doing the gigi thing more often with these extra-long updates that take a while to come out, they seem to flow better.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Akett posted:

It was in a text, it happened right before the cowboy standoff.

So this page kinda gets really interesting post reveal. Hijack was willing to hurt Isabel during the hitball game, but then he has the whole conversation with her and ends up caring about her and not wanting to crush the sentiment of that conversation with the reveal. The text he sends to Zarei is asking her how to prevent loving everything up.

Hijack is suddenly a really interesting character now.

You can also read that page as being Hijack (white bubble) talking to Spender (blue bubble) so it's Hijack putting Spender down and Spender caring about Isabel's well-being when up against Hijack.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Man this is a crazy re-read knowing all three of these reveals.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Also, lol at all the posters ITT that were smug as hell that they "called" that the principal was Hijack.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Well, this was a long time coming for these reveals. And they were pretty darn good reveals in retrospect.

I'm going to need to reread the chapter to rekindle interest, but it was good writing long delayed.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
This is my scheduled-whenever-he-appears post that man Lucifer's design is cool.

Also I really was not expecting the third reveal on that page. That was... very surprising.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
This only makes Garcia's potential Cousinhood connection more interesting.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Oh wow. All of Spender's lines have a very different meaning now.

Glad this means he's still the worst.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm REALLY pumped for the anime now.

**By the time I'm successful and wealthy and can fund this enterprise, paranatural will definitely be at least 2 cours long

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Cheston posted:

I'm REALLY pumped for the anime now.

**By the time I'm successful and wealthy and can fund this enterprise, paranatural will definitely be at least 2 cours long

Get the Neo Yokio people involved, and have Jaden Smith voicing Issac.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

PMush Perfect posted:

The page that, in retrospect, should've given away that it was Spender. Why now, of all times, is he suddenly suffering because of the pain he's been pretending not to feel?

"Is Jeff there yet!?"
"iiiiii held the door open for him"
takes on new meaning too.

Great update. Now I'm going back to reread this chapter again

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao zarei is exactly as much of a fuckup as spender is, this owns

she just got a kid's arm broke and a fresh new hell of weird behavior for everybody to have to explain away because she delegated to an idiot

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Reading the whole chapter to this point it's really good.

Also kind of tragic that Spender's heartwarming bonding talk with Isabel is a bluff patched together out of stuff Hijack overheard in the morning when he was hiding in the dog.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
How much you wanna bet that later Isabel is gonna ask Spender how much of what he said to her was him, and he's gonna panic thinking Hijack said some horrible things and spilled a bunch of secrets and insist up and down that anything that came out of his mouth for the past x hours was wholly, categorically, 100% false

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rasamune posted:

How much you wanna bet that later Isabel is gonna ask Spender how much of what he said to her was him, and he's gonna panic thinking Hijack said some horrible things and spilled a bunch of secrets and insist up and down that anything that came out of his mouth for the past x hours was wholly, categorically, 100% false

Pretty good odds, given how great Spender's been at dealing with these kids.

Tenebrais posted:

Reading the whole chapter to this point it's really good.

Also kind of tragic that Spender's heartwarming bonding talk with Isabel is a bluff patched together out of stuff Hijack overheard in the morning when he was hiding in the dog.

At least he apparently felt like a bit of an rear end about that, given his whole "look at you trying to play the inspiring teacher" line.

I guess this also answers the question asked many years ago. Can Hijack take over someone who is possessed by another spirit? And the answer is yes, very much so.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 8, 2017

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I just started rereading ch5 and jesus, Zach told us on page one:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

I just started rereading ch5 and jesus, Zach told us on page one:

Someone repost the fanart of Starchman feeding Garcia

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

cell posted:

You can also read that page as being Hijack (white bubble) talking to Spender (blue bubble) so it's Hijack putting Spender down and Spender caring about Isabel's well-being when up against Hijack.

I don't like this reading at all. It completely throws out anything interesting about Hijack as a character just to give Spender a character beat he doesn't need because Hijack is already reflecting him.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Also on a chapter re-read:

"You don't need to spy on him, Mina."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't think anybody called this, except in their fanfics.

WRONG I CALLED IT. eat my entire rear end paranatural thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531109&pagenumber=210&perpage=40#post457460897

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531109&pagenumber=210&perpage=40#post457464823