Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

My first day as an airline pilot the Captain and FA happened to discuss whether it's a good idea to drink the airplane coffee. The next day we got a plane with the potable water system deferred for failing a coliform bacteria test. That made up my mind, and I've never had airplane coffee since.

I have never willingly drank anything that was sourced from an airliner potable water system. They. Are. Nasty. I only use them to wash my hands, and then only because it's better than leaving randomly-sourced airplane funk on your self (see below).

Previa_fun posted:

As an ice chewer, sorry. Not sorry.

Gonna go ahead and avoid airplane ice though.

The ice is better than almost anything else that goes through an airliner galley. Picture this: the catering truck pulls up to the aircraft and loads 5-10 bags of previously-melted, refrozen-solid bags of ice into a tiny galley. "Wherever should I put this?" asks the highly trained and positively motivated commissary employee. Answer: on the floor. The floor near the lav. The floor that has had piss tracked across it from a dozen grandpas who's aim and motivation fully degraded in the late '90's. From levitating poopers who wouldn't allow their tender butt cheeks come in contact with a nasty aircraft toilet seat, but end up missing the bowl completely in the confined quarters.

Before stowing said bags of ice, diligent and resourceful Flight Attendants try to break up the rock hard bags utilizing the quickest and easiest method possible: dropping them onto the aforementioned floor... repeatedly. When thoroughly covered in whatever was on the floor, the bags are placed on galley counters before going in their final resting place - the cart. Now everything that is placed on the counter, everything the FA's touch is covered in grandpa's pee and grandma's poop. Strangely enough, the ice sourced from bags doesn't come into direct contact with any of this horrible stuff until intrepid FA's use a spare drink cup to scoop ice with their bare hands. Then the cycle of filth is complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Tetraptous posted:

Boom is not credible. Let’s just say the FAA will relax the supersonic overland flight rules. (Unlikely.) As mentioned, certification is hugely expensive. Their only hope is to be bought out by a major airframer, like the C-series. Why would Boring or Airbus do that? What technology does Boom have that they don’t?

As far as I can tell, their only “innovation” is that they (plan to) use lots of CFD instead of expensive testing. But the dirty “secret” is that CFD still isn’t all that good. Boeing and Airbus can actually kind of get away with it because they’ve spent decades and billions of dollars tuning their turbulence models for specific modeling applications at both the component and full configuration level. The details of these models are obviously hugely proprietary, and also primarily applicable to the high-subsonic regime airliners operate in. And they still do tons of expensive testing because the models aren’t great, they know it, and FAA knows it.

Thanks for the answer, that makes sense.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
When I’m on the plane the only thing I drink is my own piss.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Finger Prince posted:

Dude I don't know where you've been flying, but that's like 3rd tier regional connector from Flint to Cleveland level. Not even cut rate vacation flights to Zihuatanejo or Haaj charters have water service that bad.

I work across the ramp from them. I've seen these things.

ausgezeichnet posted:

[E]verything ... is covered in grandpa's pee and grandma's poop.

Yup.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I rarely get sick any more, but when I do, it's inevitably after flying cross-country.

Airliners are extremely gross.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

priznat posted:

Why save it for just the plane?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I work across the ramp from them. I've seen these things.

Yup.

poo poo trucks and water trucks are different trucks. A modicum of separation is adhered to in servicing. Some airports have water servicing lines at each gate, so you don't need a truck. 787s have a fancy-rear end UV purification system on the fill line. I still don't drink the water either unless it came from a bottle, but it's not going to kill you.

Sagebrush posted:

I rarely get sick any more, but when I do, it's inevitably after flying cross-country.

You're 100% correct (oh the things I've seen, and the sticky mysteries I've inadvertently touched...), but the getting sick after flying part has more to do with the great unwashed you're crammed in the same airborne pathogen distribution tube with than the state of the carpets or galley.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

priznat posted:

It's sterile.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sagebrush posted:

Thats mostly because everyone on the plane is full of sicknesses from across the world that you may not have been exposed to yet. People are gross.

When I started traveling for work I was getting sick pretty often after being in different parts of the country and spending a lot of time in airlines and airports. After about a year or two it tailed off. I'd like to think my immune system is super powered now.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Every time I consider getting a fixed wing rating it seems like more of a pain than I'm willing to spend time on...until I watch videos of people screwing around in Yak-52s. That thing just looks fun as poo poo.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Every time I consider getting a fixed wing rating it seems like more of a pain than I'm willing to spend time on...until I watch videos of people screwing around in Yak-52s. That thing just looks fun as poo poo.

Get an air compressor, tee off 5 hoses with blow gun chucks at the ends, give them to a group of hyper 8 year olds, and tell them to have fun. You have now recreated the experience of operating a Yak 52.

Actually they're pretty fun to fly, too.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I have a lot of hours peeing in a gatorade bottle while mountain winds steal my rotor rpm...listening to a robust pneumatics system sounds fun.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

When I was flying for the commuters a million years ago I used to get sick at least 3-4 times a year until I went on a crusade to wash my hands as frequently as possible and consciously kept my hands away from my face (no scratching or picking). Rarely got sick after that. I do the same now with all the time I spend in the back of airliners. Now I just get sick from eating unclean food in foreign countries. I can't seem to go to Paris without getting horrifying food poisoning.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

vessbot posted:

Get an air compressor, tee off 5 hoses with blow gun chucks at the ends, give them to a group of hyper 8 year olds, and tell them to have fun. You have now recreated the experience of operating a Yak 52.

Actually they're pretty fun to fly, too.

I'd love a go in one. There's a TW for sale on barnstormers right now but it's waaaaay out of my snack bracket.

Also, the air start system is pretty :coal: when it works right. I understand they're finicky and everything is metric, so good luck getting parts and tools here in the Good Old United States of Inches and Feet America

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I did 20+ cross country round trips last year (SWA, SAN to BWI), drank airplane water, airplane ice, never got sick.

However, I grew up on a salt marsh so "not getting sick" is the norm for me.

I'm glad I'm not doing the bicoastal thing this year. It's not fun.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

United Airlines is doing their last 747 flight today, an SFO-HNL heritage flight duplicating their original inaugural flight. When I landed in DEN on Saturday I saw Lufthansa and British Airways at their gates at the same time. Are they retiring their 747s anytime soon?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

slidebite posted:

United Airlines is doing their last 747 flight today, an SFO-HNL heritage flight duplicating their original inaugural flight. When I landed in DEN on Saturday I saw Lufthansa and British Airways at their gates at the same time. Are they retiring their 747s anytime soon?

BA doesn’t have any immediate plans afaik, they’ve been using 747s a lot for the LHR>IAD run.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Lufthansa bought new 748s so those aren’t going away anytime soon.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/11/04/british-airways-747-retirement-plans/
BA is retiring their 744s by 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for that, I was hoping they weren't going away anytime soon.

Dick Gordon of Apollo 12 just passed away. We don't have many left.

https://www.nasa.gov/astronautprofiles/gordon

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Beep’s friendly house hunting reminder: don’t forgot to check into ALL airports near a potential home, rather than just public ones, otherwise you get this every ten minutes for a few hours twice a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVtAAJVw_Ko

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

beep-beep car is go posted:

Beep’s friendly house hunting reminder: don’t forgot to check into ALL airports near a potential home, rather than just public ones, otherwise you get this every ten minutes for a few hours twice a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVtAAJVw_Ko

Four fans of freedom increase property values. Duh.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
MLB pitcher Roy Hallyday just crashed his A5 off of Florida and died.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Phanatic posted:

MLB pitcher Roy Hallyday just crashed his A5 off of Florida and died.

Yeah, congrats Icon your only product is associated with a Failed flight sim and the Jays best pitcher.. ...dying.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah, congrats Icon your only product is associated with a Failed flight sim and the Jays best pitcher.. ...dying.

They pulled the video from oct 12 of him taking delivery of the first 2018 a5

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So that's three fatal crashes out of seven built?

Call me suspicious, but I'd say the design is either flawed, or something is encouraging pilots to do dumb poo poo at a greater rate than usual.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, Stratolaunch said I couldn't visit their composite Spruce Goose in February because of ~security concerns~. :smith:

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

PT6A posted:

Call me suspicious, but I'd say the design is either flawed, or something is encouraging pilots to do dumb poo poo at a greater rate than usual.

It’s an amphibious LSA. So you get to combine the idiosyncrasies of amphibious operations with that sweet spot of just enough experience to feel confident and not nearly enough to back it up.

Plus he has a tweet from just days after he acquired he plane about how flying low level over water feels like flying a fighter jet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ApathyGifted posted:

Plus he has a tweet from just days after he acquired he plane about how flying low level over water feels like flying a fighter jet.

Yeah, cause he totally knew what flying a fighter jet was like.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

PT6A posted:

They market it as a jetski that can fly, to unqualified pilots. I'd say that it's definitely a candidate for the later. (although it doesn't exclude the former)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Midjack posted:

Yeah, cause he totally knew what flying a fighter jet was like.

Like flying low level in an A5. :colbert:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
With no information I am going to speculate wildly: wingtip in the water trying to be a low level fighter guy.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The problem designing systems to be foolproof is that fools are so clever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

In my business we say developing and idiot proof system just breeds a better idiot. It's like reverse evolution and it literally is proven over and over again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Maybe if ICON spent more time adding things that increased situational awareness to their cabin instead of making it look like an Acura's interior, maybe people would take flying in their 'planes' more seriously. Even Airbus realizes a cockpit should be ugly and informative over pretty and shiny.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's a biological arms race of stupid, only it's individual firms/industries versus the entire (shallow end of the) human gene pool. Futility, crystallized.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I would buy an A5 even though one crashing is literally the first thing I've ever heard about it existing.

Like most of this thread, I have a thing for planes that can land on water

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

icon a5 "anyone can fly" - a fairly precise query - gets 3000 google hits. Their own press page is full of references to the same. It was supposed to around $100k, then $200k, now $400k. Like many of its pilots, it's dead in the water.

https://twitter.com/RoyHalladay/status/925328575372423168

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The wikipedia article suggests you contractually agree to get a pilot certification when you buy one but tbh I didb't read too closely

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In other news, an Mi-8 crashed on Svalbard a short while ago. They found the CVR, but only fragments of the FDR. Turns out it's mounted in the tail boom, exactly where the rotor will strike it in many typical accident modes. Maybe it's to save time in the huge amount of accident investigations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The first accident was apparently not fatal, I was wrong, but was factory-owned and the second one had the company's chief test pilot on board and a company engineer.

Halladay may have been inexperienced (is there any word on how many hours he had, or what kind of license? Just because you only need a sport pilot license to fly it, doesn't mean you can't have more) and/or stupid, but the other two accidents occurred with experienced pilots at the controls, I imagine, and it's all blamed on pilot error.

Look at the MU-2: bunch of "pilot error" crashes, but there was, if not a "flaw" then certainly a condition which required specialized training and was counterintuitive to a lot of pilots. Even if the A5 is built and designed perfectly, the record suggests something similar here.

simplefish posted:

I would buy an A5 even though one crashing is literally the first thing I've ever heard about it existing.

Like most of this thread, I have a thing for planes that can land on water

There are plenty of amphibians with an airframe loss rate not in double-digit percents, and that would be able to carry more people possibly while going faster. You may even be able to score one for less than an A5 would cost new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
What was the Mu-2's weird hic again?

E: ahhh reacting flaps on an engine out

Huh, and sen Inhofe, of all people, lost his kid in one.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 8, 2017