Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they should have had a gradual schedule with 2 or 3 a year with everybody getting a home game. florida is probably the only place that doesn't get properly cold and even then the nhl had a preseason outdoor game in 1991 in the caesar's palace parking lot so with 26 years of technology since then we could probably have a game in july in phoenix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

At least they were willing to consider it, unlike some universities.

Is OSU the worst?
<checks notes>
No, but only because Notre Dame and Penn State exist. EDIT: also Duke and NoDak, almost forgot they exist.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Annapolis is such a cool place. Hopefully they’ll pull off the game nicely. Outdoor games are played out but I wouldn’t mind going to CRABCAKE SANDWICH

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If they do do a game in Milwaukee, it has to feature the Preds.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I've already said this a thousand times but what they should do is have one outdoor game a year but have it take place as a lead in to the ASG and have the ASG/skills comp outside too. The only real issue there is it precludes about 10 cities from ever hosting the ASG

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mike_V posted:

Pietro has been doing it a while but didn't get the points because Shattenkirk got all the o-zone and PP1 starts. I don't think Pietrangelo is better offensively than Karlsson, but I would need to some charts that show he is not significantly better in his own zone.

Looks like they prevent the same but EK is better at shot generation and offense. Pietrangelo's fancies are really good, but EK's are like off the chart good. That's from last year though. I don't know that there have been enough games this year to draw any conclusions yet, especially since EK only has 9 games played.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm still giggling at the Kings in OT with "ok, who wants to cover Karlsson"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There are full-time indoor buildings with poo poo ice in 2017 the NHL absolutely cannot be trusted to make good ice outdoors

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ElwoodCuse posted:

Playing the game in a dump stadium in the middle of nowhere would have been a terrible idea

It's really hard to appreciate how completely in the middle of nowhere Penn State is if you've never been there. It is REALLY in nowheresville. The nearest significant city is Pittsburgh which is nearly 3 hours away.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's really hard to appreciate how completely in the middle of nowhere Penn State is if you've never been there. It is REALLY in nowheresville. The nearest significant city is Pittsburgh which is nearly 3 hours away.

It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, only because a corrupt politician built them their own "interstate" that goes between 80 and 76 so it doesn't take two hours of twisty two lane roads to get there any more.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you mean Bud Shyster, he was a corrupt politician the way Sidney Crosby is a hockey player

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mage_Boy posted:

It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, only because a corrupt politician built them their own "interstate" that goes between 80 and 76 so it doesn't take two hours of twisty two lane roads to get there any more.

Eh, only good areas of PA: Philly, Allentown/Bethlehem, Pittsburgh. Not venturing too far outside of any of them. And I guess Lancaster is nice to visit.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Allentown is eh, but the minor league stadiums are dope. Lancaster has an escalating drug problem.

Also, York is straight up depressing, outside of Maple Donuts.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

iospace posted:

If they do do a game in Milwaukee, it has to feature the Preds.

I asked John Greenberg about the AHL ASG/possible outdoor game last season and he seemed pretty receptive to the idea.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

Allentown is eh, but the minor league stadiums are dope. Lancaster has an escalating drug problem.

Also, York is straight up depressing, outside of Maple Donuts.

I guess I should clarify that it’s really Bethlehem, but go to Allentown for Phantoms games followed by Fegleys brewworks. (I thought iron pigs was Bethlehem).

I dated an ex for 3 years that lived in York. gently caress York.

Bummer to hear about Lancaster but not a surprise 😕

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Duckman2008 posted:

I guess I should clarify that it’s really Bethlehem, but go to Allentown for Phantoms games followed by Fegleys brewworks. (I thought iron pigs was Bethlehem).

I dated an ex for 3 years that lived in York. gently caress York.

Bummer to hear about Lancaster but not a surprise 😕

I'm pretty sure our whole state is an escalating drug problem at this point. I rarely watch TV, but when I do, it's always opiod addiction commercials.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mage_Boy posted:

I'm pretty sure our whole state is an escalating drug problem at this point. I rarely watch TV, but when I do, it's always opiod addiction commercials.

Replace state with country. Ugh.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pretty much all of Pennsylvania's like 14 small cities have an escalating drug problem. York is actually far worse than Lancaster in that regard, and Harrisburg is even worse still.

But nothing on the eastern side of the Appalachians compares to the horror that is Altoona and Johnstown

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Habs have.... a win streak?! :wth:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I thought Columbus had a fairly solid effort against a solid hockey team and ran up against a really good goalie, after playing a fairly solid game against the Rangers (before they pissed down their legs) and coming back from a two goal deficit in the 3rd to take a point from a juggernaut in Tampa prior to that.

Twitter apparently tells me I'm wrong, however.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

I thought Columbus had a fairly solid effort against a solid hockey team and ran up against a really good goalie, after playing a fairly solid game against the Rangers (before they pissed down their legs) and coming back from a two goal deficit in the 3rd to take a point from a juggernaut in Tampa prior to that.

Hi Torts.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

CBJSprague24 posted:

If you’re not winning you’re losing

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mage_Boy posted:

You mean Breezewood? God that place is such a clusterfuck

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I couldn't watch the Habs game since I was busy watching Chris Hemsworth and cast ad-lib a movie script for two hours. How did the team look?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I couldn't watch the Habs game since I was busy watching Chris Hemsworth and cast ad-lib a movie script for two hours. How did the team look?

Petry looked lost most of the time. Lindgren is a good boy.

Of course, in true Habs fashion, nearly shat themselves at the end.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Martytoof posted:

Good then bad then slightly good then dogsht

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So an improvement, then.

With some work maybe we can work ourselves up to "consistently bad"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm pleasantly surprised that the Vancouver Canucks won their game tonight.

I am incredibly confused as to how Derek Dorsett is still leading this team in goals.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

achillesforever6 posted:

You mean Breezewood? God that place is such a clusterfuck

No, Interstate 99, which is so sleazy even its name is "illegal"

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
John Stevens: Great coach, or greatest coach?

But really, it's good that Darryl Sutter isn't around anymore to bench kids like Kempe and Iafallo, or misuse Dustin Brown and overplay Kopitar while Carter is out.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Oh no.

https://twitter.com/RocketLaval/status/928110722135019520

Oh no!

OH NO!

Oh nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

When is Montreal going to riot in an coup to dispose of Bergevin?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I got Icey Hot on my junk once.* It was loving bad times. It was like getting hot sauce in your eyes... but, you know, not your eyes.

*A year out of high school some mother-fucker** put it on the door knob to the bathroom at a house party.

**I saw the rear end in a top hat in the bathroom of a pub a few years later. I let him start to piss in the urinal and then came up behind him and shook the poo poo out of his shoulders so he pissed all over himself. Ruined his loving Nikes.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

When is Montreal going to riot in an coup to dispose of Bergevin?

Mid-January when the team goes on a magical 2-11-5 run to be mathematically eliminated from the Playoffs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

deoju posted:

I got Icey Hot on my junk once.* It was loving bad times. It was like getting hot sauce in your eyes... but, you know, not your eyes.

*A year out of high school some mother-fucker** put it on the door knob to the bathroom at a house party.

**I saw the rear end in a top hat in the bathroom of a pub a few years later. I let him start to piss in the urinal and then came up behind him and shook the poo poo out of his shoulders so he pissed all over himself. Ruined his loving Nikes.

That's a douchey move but maybe you shouldn't have opened the door with your dick.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
thats a really good prank

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Jamwad Hilder posted:

thats a really good prank

When I was in high school, that was one of the pranks the seniors played on the freshmen on the hockey team. Put IcyHot on their equipment (shin pads, elbow pads, cup for a couple unlucky kids), so it started to give a slight burn when they started to sweat. It's safer and much less illegal than some of the other "pranks" that have happened in high school sports.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
we put icy-hot on a toilet seat once at lacrosse camp and the kid who sat on it managed to get it on his rear end in a top hat somehow

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Trotz is apparently not worried about the Caps anemic shot totals, citing the Oilers and the importance of shot quality.

I mean, sure. A shot from the point is less valuable than a shot from the slot. And teams playing from behind wind up taking more shots.

But the Caps only have two players in the Top 100 in shots. Ovechkin, who is the perennial number one... and John Carlson, who takes those low-value point shots Trotz talked about. I don't see how they can look at what they're putting on the ice right now and be happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

Trotz is apparently not worried about the Caps anemic shot totals, citing the Oilers and the importance of shot quality.

I mean, sure. A shot from the point is less valuable than a shot from the slot. And teams playing from behind wind up taking more shots.

But the Caps only have two players in the Top 100 in shots. Ovechkin, who is the perennial number one... and John Carlson, who takes those low-value point shots Trotz talked about. I don't see how they can look at what they're putting on the ice right now and be happy with it.

yeah it's not like they're even taking many high quality shots to begin with

• Locked thread