Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

DarkHorse posted:

Ok, so I've heard several people say that greyhounds have a reputation for being "aloof" - has that been any of your experience?

I think a lot of that reputation is because they tend to react a bit differently than normal dogs: for example, holding your hand out low and beckoning will get a lot of dogs to walk right up to you and beg for attention, while greyhounds don't really seem to 'get' that. If you lean against a greyhound (or start running) you'll connect and get much more of a reaction, but most people don't know to do this.

On a completely side note (if it hasn't been mentioned), greyhounds (actually most dogs I've met) have secret weak points on the sides of their neck under where the collar usually sits: pull the collar up a couple inches and start scratching and they'll tilt their head into it and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've yet to meet a dog that didn't love collar scritches.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Both Bonnie and my last lurcher (and my bff’s greyhound) loving love a really hard ear rub, it’s like they go through life with itchy ears and I’m finally scratching it for them

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

St Evan Echoes posted:

Both Bonnie and my last lurcher (and my bff’s greyhound) loving love a really hard ear rub, it’s like they go through life with itchy ears and I’m finally scratching it for them

I know I've got it just right when the pupper goes "rrrrmmmmhhhh" from their chest and leans their whole body into it. :kimchi:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yup. Holy trinity of dog schritches is collar, ear and thigh massage.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Happy Halloween!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Happy Halloween Reese :3:

Bonnie went to a party last night as Wonder Woman. They don’t make costumes to fit her crazy saluki chest so we had to just throw it over her, but she still looked real cute :unsmith:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tortolia posted:

Happy Halloween!

Ay Carumba! Happy Halloween Reese! :3:

St Evan Echoes posted:

Happy Halloween Reese :3:

Bonnie went to a party last night as Wonder Woman. They don’t make costumes to fit her crazy saluki chest so we had to just throw it over her, but she still looked real cute :unsmith:

Oh my gooshness Bonnie is adorable :kimchi:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Man, gently caress your fireworks in a built-up residential area

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/925522117822517248

Happy Halloween from my three pups!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hey, that's the Bone Dog from the Longboy Caesar page! :D I didn't know they even existed up until yesterday, but they seem to be popping up everywhere now, hah (well, "everywhere" as in here and the aforementioned FB page)
Wish I could get one to spook li'l Taz, (who's now doing much better, with that cut more-or-less fully healed) although they're probably not available in this hemisphere. Might pay for me to keep an eye out though, I suppose

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I hope you guys had a spoopy Halloween!

Sparty went as a racehorse- we tried using a nose leash for a bridle, but he hated it. He got tired of his muzzle too, and then his racing silks fell off, and by this point the Dollie jockey was falling off, too. :shrug: :effort:

Cookie was a skellington! (looked much better than the photo, doesn’t do it justice). She hated the paint though, but forgot as soon as kids came by

And we got this witchy pic from the adoption agency:

:stoat:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

So cute!

I tried to skeletonize Josie but she was Not Having It. she was smearing her face across every surface in sight and I just didn't want that cleanup job.

Then I just tried to stick some fat white paper angry eyebrows on her but she pawed them right off.

Next year perhaps something more clothes or accessory like.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is just a couple months away from the big 1-0. It is a bit tough watching her age but she's still as friendly and loving as ever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Abby is just a couple months away from the big 1-0. It is a bit tough watching her age but she's still as friendly and loving as ever.

Oh wow, I hope you'll give Abby lots of birthday treats! (Also, your post reminded me; Tazo's fourth birthday is on the 10th...can't forget to get him a nice meaty bone, for that)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to try to get something together with friends of mine who have three greyhounds. See if I can find some dog cake or whatever.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Abby is a good dog. Agree it’s tough watching them get old. It does have its benefits though! Even when they get really up there in years (had a 16 year old lurcher until last year) there are occasional days where they act just like a puppy all silly and full of energy for the day, and those days are among the most memorable you’ll ever have with them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Her usual routine when I get home is

flip out for a bit
eat a million mph
stare at me and whatever I'm eating, especially if it's a banana
stare until I give her a treat
once the treat is gone, go lick the carpet in the area where I threw it
stare indefinitely

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Her usual routine when I get home is

flip out for a bit
eat a million mph
stare at me and whatever I'm eating, especially if it's a banana
stare until I give her a treat
once the treat is gone, go lick the carpet in the area where I threw it
stare indefinitely

hahah yeah, ever since adopting Taz a bit over a year ago, I've noticed that long doggos appear to be worse than most, when it comes to staring in general! :D Perhaps nobody told them that it's commonly perceived as being rude?
Also, when we're both sitting inside, Tazo will often try to be sneaky and stare at me out the corner of his eye while facing forward - does Abby (or Sparty, or any of the others here) mostly do that too, or do they watch/stare at you directly?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, I mean, "sight"hounds.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sidney used to stare at me while I worked except being old as balls he would only last a couple of minutes before falling asleep :3:

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
My dog is part greyhound. He had half the teeth in head removed last year (after one just fell out). Tomorrow he goes in to get the other half pulled. He is 8.

Greyhounds have a crazy genetic pre-disposition to gum problems, or so I am told.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Abby is a good dog. Agree it’s tough watching them get old. It does have its benefits though! Even when they get really up there in years (had a 16 year old lurcher until last year) there are occasional days where they act just like a puppy all silly and full of energy for the day, and those days are among the most memorable you’ll ever have with them.

Yeah definitely, the last year or so of North's life, I would just take him for a walk around a nearby park without his leash on, I'd rarely seen him so happy. :unsmith:

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

St Evan Echoes posted:

wyoming posted:

Yeah definitely, the last year or so of North's life, I would just take him for a walk around a nearby park without his leash on, I'd rarely seen him so happy. :unsmith:

The last year or two of my Peter's life, we had to go for slow, short walks with him, then bring Peter home so my other dog and I could take another, faster (and longer) walk. One day in the spring of 2016, Peter got a good head of steam going, and had a good, brisk walk all the way to his old turnaround tree and back. The entire walk, I was thinking that I'd better enjoy it, because it might be the last time he made it that far down the road, and it was. He kept up a good, quick pace the whole way there and back (about 3/4 of a mile round-trip), and just looked so happy and pleased with himself the whole time. It's one of my favorite memories of him.

Peter pic:

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 8, 2017

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Ferrule posted:

My dog is part greyhound. He had half the teeth in head removed last year (after one just fell out). Tomorrow he goes in to get the other half pulled. He is 8.

Greyhounds have a crazy genetic pre-disposition to gum problems, or so I am told.

It’s nature/nurture for greyhounds too since the track diet for racing greys is straight up ground meat. I hope the surgery goes well. We had a toothless dog for a while and he didn’t seem to mind it much, and was still able to eat dry food/etc with no problem. Made his tongue stick out more, though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

hahah yeah, ever since adopting Taz a bit over a year ago, I've noticed that long doggos appear to be worse than most, when it comes to staring in general! :D Perhaps nobody told them that it's commonly perceived as being rude?
Also, when we're both sitting inside, Tazo will often try to be sneaky and stare at me out the corner of his eye while facing forward - does Abby (or Sparty, or any of the others here) mostly do that too, or do they watch/stare at you directly?

If he’s standing, Sparty will usually stare longingly at us. If he’s resting his head then his eyes follow us, but most of the time he’ll look directly at us if he wants to. The exception is when he’s standing at your side, then he’ll side-eye you when he gets tired of craning his neck to the side. It’s cute when there’s a mirror because you can see him in the reflection looking up adoringly at you :kimchi:

Peristalsis posted:

The last year or two of my Peter's life, we had to go for slow, short walks with him, then bring Peter home so my other dog and I could take another, faster (and longer) walk. One day in the spring of 2016, Peter got a good head of steam going, and had a good, brisk walk all the way to his old turnaround tree and back. The entire walk, I was thinking that I'd better enjoy it, because it might be the last time he made it that far down the road, and it was. He kept up a good, quick pace the whole way there and back (about 3/4 of a mile round-trip), and just looked so happy and pleased with himself the whole time. It's one of my favorite memories of him.

Peter pic:

This was such a sweet story, thank you so much for sharing it :unsmith: I went through something similar with my childhood dog. Peter was a very handsome boy and clearly well-loved and lucky to have you :)

Ferrule posted:

Combination of genetics and living situations, nature and nurture like someone just posted. Sparty’s teeth are pretty good because he left the track early and we get him chews to clean his teeth, but he also has better teeth in general than many hounds I’ve met

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 10, 2017

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

trapped under snek. do not send help

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tess loves blankets more than pillows:

What even is this?

Rhoga's parents bought a new sectional and we got their old one. We use three brown blankets to act as a slipcover...

Bonus closeup:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Genovera posted:

What even is this?

Rhoga's parents bought a new sectional and we got their old one. We use three brown blankets to act as a slipcover...

Bonus closeup:

I've found my spirit animal.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby doesn't give a poo poo about toys anymore, how do I remedy this?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Genovera posted:

Aw, such a cute li'l doggo :3:

actionjackson posted:

Abby doesn't give a poo poo about toys anymore, how do I remedy this?

Buy a new toy? :v: Not sure to be honest. I mean, Tazo was kinda the same way with the toys I originally bought him, but then I got him a particular toy (a squeaky echidna) and he fell in love with it. No idea what Abby has at the moment though, so who knows - are they loud, squeaky toys? Or just like, noiseless chew toys?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

Buy a new toy? :v: Not sure to be honest. I mean, Tazo was kinda the same way with the toys I originally bought him, but then I got him a particular toy (a squeaky echidna) and he fell in love with it. No idea what Abby has at the moment though, so who knows - are they loud, squeaky toys? Or just like, noiseless chew toys?

I have various types. She always gets excited about an actual new toy, but it only lasts ten minutes and that got to be expensive so I stopped. But she used to get interested in some older toys if I shook them around a lot and drew attention to them, though it would usually take a while. Now, no matter what, at most she does the biting motion for it but doesn't actually move her head (lol). Or it bounces off her and she just stares around.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

She's probably just getting older? She is like an elderly lady, maybe instead on an action figure she would like a puzzle book.

If she is food motivated you could collect some cardboard tubes, fold one end up, and put kibble or treat bites inside. She might enjoy figuring out how to get to the food inside. You can do similar things with small empty boxes or paper cups. If she enjoys 'foraging' you could spend time making a snuffle mat.

I'm sure there's lots of cheap puzzle toy ideas out there...

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the whippet was loving robbed at the national dog show this year

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

How to get a greyhound to bark

https://twitter.com/1337_5CR4BBL3/status/934204547437858816

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

actionjackson posted:

I have various types. She always gets excited about an actual new toy, but it only lasts ten minutes and that got to be expensive so I stopped. But she used to get interested in some older toys if I shook them around a lot and drew attention to them, though it would usually take a while. Now, no matter what, at most she does the biting motion for it but doesn't actually move her head (lol). Or it bounces off her and she just stares around.

Mine is like this too and always has been. She'll be excited about a new toy for like five minutes and then is completely over it. I've taken to just hiding the older ones and rotating them out so they're "new" again every once in a while and then donating off some to our local shelter when the collection gets too big.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Crossposting from the Trump thread, courtesy of the Dog Tax:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My walker used to do the same thing.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
We had to put Chevy down yesterday (we're still not sure from what, the E-Vet said either cancer or a viral infection; he went from fine to completely limp in his back legs and neck and in a lot of pain within 48 hours) and it sucks and I miss my dog and you should all pat your dogs even though they are weird stilt-dogs that look like a child's drawing of a dog come to life.