Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But how long has Jubilee been cute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zoro posted:

Jubilee has been a vampire since the 90s. Everyone if it doesn't read X-Men just find it weird. Vampires used to be very big in Marvel. Technically Falcons pet is a vampire. But Marvel just kind of forgot vampires exist recently so everyone forgets that they care about them.

A friend of mine loaned me a giant stack of unsorted X-Men comics in high school, it was bizarre to me how many of them end up being about the occult in one way or another. (I mean, it helped that she was a huge Nightcrawler fangirl, but my only experience with X-Men prior to that point were cartoons and movies that leaned way more in the science fiction direction.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

Depends on who the artists are.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Waffleman_ posted:

Kwyndig posted:

Depends on who the artists are.

No, the correct answer is "always and forever".

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Having vocaloids as NPC-only support characters in an RPG would work if the PCs are a squadron of destroid or valkyire pilots.

If they want to make a true Macross RPG, then all of the classes will need to be some variation of Bard, with everyone having pilot skills baked in except for the Idol class. Instead, the Idol class gives up all piloting ability to affect people with their songs on a truly super-dimensional scale.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love Macross and as dumb as the whole protoculture thing is, that's how South Korea is essentially undermining the Kim regime in North Korea. They really need to call it the Minmay Strategy.

Also, are the Zentradi being retconned into space elves now?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Fuego Fish posted:

No, the correct answer is "always and forever".

This is strangely weird to me now that Jubilee is a mother of one and in her 30s now.

Also, anyone find it weird that the only people who age in Marvel are the X-Men?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think it's weird that they have time-travel young versions of the X-Men who, last I checked, are still just hanging around so they can have their cake and eat it too. Marvel, that is. Cyclops probably never liked cake.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Someone please run something that isn't PBTA or Warhammer Fantasy!!! I want to play game!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’d run my GSS+Isekai idea but I’m still drowning in GM guilt at letting my other GSS thread fizzle out.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Is there a handy guide to play-by-Discord anywhere? I'm probably showing my age, but I find Discord really difficult to navigate.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zoro posted:

This is strangely weird to me now that Jubilee is a mother of one and in her 30s now.

Also, anyone find it weird that the only people who age in Marvel are the X-Men?

I mean...once again, vampire, so no, Jubilee hasn't really aged.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zoro posted:

Canonically it's been about 15 years since the "start" of the Marvel universe, although that's just a rough estimate on my part. The X-Men have aged and so has everyone else. Peter Parker has gone from a high school student to a grown adult, Reed and Sue got married and had kids.

The only thing is that most of Marvel's main characters were in their early-mid 20s when first introduced, so now they're in their mid-late 30s and that's a negligible difference in terms of physical changes for regular people, let alone those with superpowers. Steve Rogers was born in 1920, making him 20 years old when he became Captain America. A 35-year-old super soldier isn't going to be sporting too much silver hair, aside from that one time he was aged up for about 6 months.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Zoro posted:

Jubilee has been a vampire since the 90s.

Nah, it happened in 2010, and has miraculously never been undone.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zoro posted:

Most the kid characters from past eras are weird because some writers realize their age and other people just write them as they've always been. Different imprints mess things up too, like with Power Pack, and editorial oversight and lore bibles aren't as commonplace or comprehensive as they should be.

"Marvel time" makes no sense so it's best not to think about it too much. I'm sure there's some time cube level write ups about it floating around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zoro posted:

You've been getting some bad information. She's still underage in the comics and that kid isn't hers.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

You've been getting some bad information. She's still underage in the comics and that kid isn't hers.

Isn't Kitty Pryde still in college or around that age? I remember when I was in high school, around 2004-2005, there was a story arc for a new solo comic with her going to college and one of my friends explained to me how Marvel time is supposed to work, at that time it was about 4 real years to 1 Marvel year, and how it really doesn't.

EDIT: Marvel really needs a Zero Hour type event if it hasn't had one yet. I guess Secret Wars Electric Boogaloo was supposed to fix that at the end or something, I haven't read it yet, but there has never been an event that I know of that explains the changing war careers of Iron Man and Punisher.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 7, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So I'm in the process of getting ready to do a major re-draft of my heartbreaker, The Next Project, and as such I'll be looking for feedback, and people I can bounce ideas off of regularly. I've had a discord server set up for a while now, but it's been kinda slow as of late.

With all that in mind, I would like to extend an invitation to any TradGoons who have been following my progress, to join the TNP discussion over on Discord.

Over the past weekend, in particular, I've been working on crunching out all kinds of math, including the DPR of various attack routines. So if you nerd out over that type of stuff, now's a real good time to jump in!

:siren: Also, the next blogpost should be up sometime Friday :)

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

P.d0t posted:

So I'm in the process of getting ready to do a major re-draft of my heartbreaker, The Next Project, and as such I'll be looking for feedback, and people I can bounce ideas off of regularly. I've had a discord server set up for a while now, but it's been kinda slow as of late.

With all that in mind, I would like to extend an invitation to any TradGoons who have been following my progress, to join the TNP discussion over on Discord.

Over the past weekend, in particular, I've been working on crunching out all kinds of math, including the DPR of various attack routines. So if you nerd out over that type of stuff, now's a real good time to jump in!

:siren: Also, the next blogpost should be up sometime Friday :)

pd0t is making rpg gold, and you should all be jumping in to that Discord.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LuiCypher posted:

If they want to make a true Macross RPG, then all of the classes will need to be some variation of Bard, with everyone having pilot skills baked in except for the Idol class. Instead, the Idol class gives up all piloting ability to affect people with their songs on a truly super-dimensional scale.

I may or may not have tried to shoe-horn Macross into Age of Rebellion where all of the members of Walküre have Force powers (and the PCs likely have Sense/Enhance) during a really slow day at work.

It's too bad that the space combat in FFG's SWRPG isn't much better than Palladium's.

I have no clue how well Macross would translate to something like Lancer, either.

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 7, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Getsuya posted:

I’d run my GSS+Isekai idea but I’m still drowning in GM guilt at letting my other GSS thread fizzle out.

Do it anyway

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Isn't Kitty Pryde still in college or around that age? I remember when I was in high school, around 2004-2005, there was a story arc for a new solo comic with her going to college and one of my friends explained to me how Marvel time is supposed to work, at that time it was about 4 real years to 1 Marvel year, and how it really doesn't.

EDIT: Marvel really needs a Zero Hour type event if it hasn't had one yet. I guess Secret Wars Electric Boogaloo was supposed to fix that at the end or something, I haven't read it yet, but there has never been an event that I know of that explains the changing war careers of Iron Man and Punisher.

I don't think she's in college, I think she's in space, being part of the Guardians of the Galaxy at the moment. Maybe even the new Starlord, I forget.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

theironjef posted:

I don't think she's in college, I think she's in space, being part of the Guardians of the Galaxy at the moment. Maybe even the new Starlord, I forget.

She and Starlord were dating for a while after the soft-retcon of Secret War that made Starlord into the movie character. However they broke up because reasons and now she's back in Earth as one of the X-Men team leaders.

Also she's been an instructor at the new X-Men school for a while now, so I'd assume she's out of education herself if she's teaching others.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Kitty Pyrde is in charge of the school and currently serves as headmistress. The Xavier Memorial School has been relocated to central park. No, really. And she serves as team leader of X-Men Gold.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

Fuego Fish posted:

She and Starlord were dating for a while after the soft-retcon of Secret War that made Starlord into the movie character. However they broke up because reasons and now she's back in Earth as one of the X-Men team leaders.

Also she's been an instructor at the new X-Men school for a while now, so I'd assume she's out of education herself if she's teaching others.

I noticed that not too long ago and that's cool.

Fuego Fish posted:

She studied under their best art teacher so it's not like she needs a degree to teach that since he didn't have one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Kitty is actually the only X-Person with a degree and certification in education. Everyone else is either stupidly high level science phds or Iceman. He's an accountant.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Mr. Maltose posted:

Kitty is actually the only X-Person with a degree and certification in education. Everyone else is either stupidly high level science phds or Iceman. He's an accountant.

I mean, you joke, but you just describe a college or university's staff. One person (maybe) with any education experience, the rest have phds, and the one accountant to teach trade stuff.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I´m exhausted, but I´ve finally finished my current draft of v0.50 of Gates of Gehenna.
Since I´ve apparently encountered the majority of TG-elite in this thread, I´d really appreciate any comments you guys might have ^^

Rules v0.50
Character Sheet v0.50

Changes:
- Reworked Attributes (From 9 to 6)
- Reworked Talents (Mostly modified to work with new mechanics and changes)
- Reworked the Ambitions mechanic to "Corruption", complete with Track, Flaw, Anchors to embed character background etc.
- Reworked some small background details, extended background in small places
- Reworked Character Advancement
- Added "Anchors" to embed characters in game world, also to drive home point of sliding scale of corruption, finally as hero-points
- Reworked combat and armour and hp. Players now collect "Exhaustion" and armour serves as bonus exhaustion points.
- Reworked Opponent mechanics, further simplified to three-state mechanic and easier construction
- Added "Tension System" as well as some smaller changes
- Took out Example of Play, it needs reworking, very much so. Also WAR-system. That was bad.
- And a lot of small stuff.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Zoro posted:

I mean, you joke, but you just describe a college or university's staff. One person (maybe) with any education experience, the rest have phds, and the one accountant to teach trade stuff.

Well yeah. But the point is that we don't have a degree in education, we have a degree in [Relevant Field] and it's not about being good teachers (although we usually try) but about knowing the poo poo out of [Relevant Field] cause we study the gently caress out of it.

Also no if you roll up to like a Physics department or whatever, no one has an education degree. Education degrees exist only in education departments and sometimes they've infected departments that have to deal with "[Field] Education" degrees, e.g. at my school they exist as an awful cancer that makes the mathematicians need to drink.

And you're ignoring that the vast majority of university's staff aren't professors.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
At a highschool level I'd expect you to actually have a degree that has at least addressed pedagogy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I continually find it weird that most teachers don't really learn how to teach.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Fuego Fish posted:

However they broke up because reasons and now she's back in Earth as one of the X-Men team leaders.

It's funny just having read that arc, where the reason was... wait, no, they skipped that part. Like, all the other Guardians had a beef with Quill and she just walks off on her fiance because...? (To be fair, her fiance being Peter Quill is probably enough reason, but still.) Of course, there's also a part where Kitty asserts she has to stay on Earth because the X-Men need her, and then when she shows up in X-Men she's like "no way, not again, get out". Comics editing by professional editors!

Emma Frost has degrees in education and business administration, but she's off doing her hamfisted heel turn.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I mean this is totally off the rails of the point of this thread but :

1) I've sat in on Education classes and... They weren't great. I can't speak for an entire discipline I don't really interact with, but from what I have Education classes seem really bad at actually, you know, teaching how to teach effectively. Not saying I'm some kind of amazing perfect didact and everyone should kneel before me, but I'm a pretty decent teacher and I'm on year 5 in a row of getting an award from the state in terms of quality of teaching, and their poo poo... Wouldn't help at all. Lots of form over substance about how to format poo poo instead about really getting students to engage with the material. Usually I just roll up and am really excited about the topic, crack some jokes, try my best to be super clear, and it works out. Idk I studied Linguistics not Education ; I just figured this poo poo out when I started a few years ago. So, yeah, most teachers just suck in my experience, but not because of a lack training. Teaching is a really hard job.

2) At the college level, the idea is that students will rise to the level of the instructor. Often this is stupid and dumb and the instructor is terrible because they got the job by being good at research and that's a totally separate skill set from teaching (or even more likely they're an adjunct making starvation wages teaching twice as much as is actually allowed). But that's how universities work because it's literally a system that was made up in the middle ages that has had a thousand years of band aids crudely attached to it ad hoc. I'm totally down with fixing this but it's not the kind of thing you can just have a committee figure out in an afternoon. It's like criticizing capitalism : yeah it's super flawed and dumb, but do you have the ability to fix the everything we've made over the last forever????

Sorry, it's been a trying semester and that poo poo is on my mind a lot. This got all SAL and I'll stop.

(Professors are people and we try real hard in a very lovely environment. Be nice.)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Emma Frost has degrees in education and business administration, but she's off doing her hamfisted heel turn.

Emma did nothing wrong

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Do it anyway

Okay, I did

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Someone please run something that isn't PBTA or Warhammer Fantasy!!! I want to play game!

PbP or live games online?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nah, it happened in 2010, and has miraculously never been undone.

They never gave her back her powers after the decimation, anyway, so it'll probably stick around until they remember to fix that. But hey, it turns out she's just about the perfect character to make an ageless teen/twentysomething.

Halloween Jack posted:

I think it's weird that they have time-travel young versions of the X-Men who, last I checked, are still just hanging around so they can have their cake and eat it too. Marvel, that is. Cyclops probably never liked cake.

Well, the only one of the O5 X-Men that isn't some combination of kind of evil/dead/horribly traumatized from extra potent mutations torture is Iceman, whose greatest struggle is realizing lately he's gay. So like, I can see on the surface why someone would be tempted to press a hard reset on them. It didn't work out great, but hey the current Jean Grey and Iceman books are pretty good at least!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well, the only one of the O5 X-Men that isn't some combination of kind of evil/dead/horribly traumatized from extra potent mutations torture is Iceman, whose greatest struggle is realizing lately he's gay. So like, I can see on the surface why someone would be tempted to press a hard reset on them. It didn't work out great, but hey the current Jean Grey and Iceman books are pretty good at least!

God, that was the most hamfisted and insulting thing. They take a character with a long history of dating women and instead of going "turns out you're bi my dude" they have this whole lovely song-and-dance about how you have to be one or the other, gay or straight, no other conceivable choices. Sure do love to have bi erasure shoved in my face when I'm trying to indulge in a bit of escapism.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Fuego Fish posted:

God, that was the most hamfisted and insulting thing. They take a character with a long history of dating women and instead of going "turns out you're bi my dude" they have this whole lovely song-and-dance about how you have to be one or the other, gay or straight, no other conceivable choices. Sure do love to have bi erasure shoved in my face when I'm trying to indulge in a bit of escapism.

It says a lot that accidentally-outing young-Bobby and therefore old-Bobby, too, has not even been the worst misuse of young-Jean's physic powers. The worst was when she forcibly rewrote young-Warren's brain while he was in the middle of freaking out over how lovely the future world was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Okay, I did

Thank you

• Locked thread