Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

CC Corp are like one failed supersoldier project away from becoming Umbrella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Phantasium posted:

It has a summary for the older games in it and is a really good remaster and has the benefit of not costing you hundreds of dollars, I say go for it if you're at all interested.

Cool. I know it takes place in a fictional MMO, is the gameplay comparable to like, FF12 or Xenoblade since those kind of played like single player MMOs in a way?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So are the blades in Xenoblade 2 like pokemon at this point or something? At any rate, the one with the giant floating arms is clearly the best one.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 7, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Cool. I know it takes place in a fictional MMO, is the gameplay comparable to like, FF12 or Xenoblade since those kind of played like single player MMOs in a way?

Not at all, it's an action game. I don't remember how AI party members work off the top of my head but I remember them being pretty competent, but it's not terribly complex to begin with.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

chumbler posted:

So are the blades in Xenoblade 2 like pokemon at this point or something? At any rate, the one with the giant floating arms is clearly the best one.

Persona might be a closer comparison, but yeah pretty much. They determine your weapon, skillset, elemental affinities, and so on. There's quite a lot of them, a few are story locked but most appear to be usable by anyone except Tora.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Phantasium posted:

Not at all, it's an action game. I don't remember how AI party members work off the top of my head but I remember them being pretty competent, but it's not terribly complex to begin with.

IIRC, they are completely AI controlled. You don't give them orders, but their AI is pretty good.

You also can't directly change their items or equipment, but you can gift them stuff and they'll use it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

You also can't directly change their items or equipment, but you can gift them stuff and they'll use it.

I remember this at least, since in IMOQ I gave everyone healing items all the time, and when Mistral came back she had a bunch of low-tier healing items and used them so fast her voice clips overlapped.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

chumbler posted:

Looks more like an Ar Tonelico style they're going for.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Phantasium posted:

Oh word. Well how does it compare to say, the Tales games because I could never get into the combat in those

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Oh word. Well how does it compare to say, the Tales games because I could never get into the combat in those

Incredibly simple. A basic attack, block, and then skills which auto target onto enemies (and can change your weapon as you get farther in) and menus for anything else like using items.

There are also specifically boss fights that don't use those mechanics and switch to something almost ZoE-like (though still much simpler).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Phantasium posted:

Incredibly simple. A basic attack, block, and then skills which auto target onto enemies (and can change your weapon as you get farther in) and menus for anything else like using items.

There are also specifically boss fights that don't use those mechanics and switch to something almost ZoE-like (though still much simpler).

Cool, I might pick it up since $50 for 75+ hours of gameplay sounds good

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It is absolutely worth it if you're in any way interested, since it's aged very well. The first game in the set (Rebirth) is the jankiest, but once you get to volume 2 it gets very smooth; that's when they introduce the weapon switching through skills. After that the game is a lot smoother then you might have thought it was in 1 and you start to feel pretty good playing around.

Your party members are fully AI controled, but they also refill their own healing items and will use them; you can force their equipment changes and customize their gear but they will use their skills and replenish their item stocks themselves, so all you need to do it make sure you keep gearing them up, which is equally simple because you can manipulate their inventories through gifts and trading and customize their gear without taking it back. It's simple, but I found it was simple in a way that made me feel good playing it.

The only complaint I have with it which I had when it came out is there aren't enough of the special style fights.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah Haseo's "class" switching really ups the combat I feel. Makes him so much more fun to play as than Kite who stayed the same throughout all 4 of his games.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Too bad his last class unlocks near end game. I tried to rush to unlock it before settling down with the side quests, but it's close to the end...

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Part 3 always felt weird and kind of cramped to me. I think I beat it at like level 120, after going into it at level 100.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Better that than IMOQs solution of "here's 15 hours of grinding tacked onto a 15 hour game"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stallion Cabana posted:

It is absolutely worth it if you're in any way interested, since it's aged very well. The first game in the set (Rebirth) is the jankiest, but once you get to volume 2 it gets very smooth; that's when they introduce the weapon switching through skills. After that the game is a lot smoother then you might have thought it was in 1 and you start to feel pretty good playing around.

Your party members are fully AI controled, but they also refill their own healing items and will use them; you can force their equipment changes and customize their gear but they will use their skills and replenish their item stocks themselves, so all you need to do it make sure you keep gearing them up, which is equally simple because you can manipulate their inventories through gifts and trading and customize their gear without taking it back. It's simple, but I found it was simple in a way that made me feel good playing it.

The only complaint I have with it which I had when it came out is there aren't enough of the special style fights.

That sounds pretty rad overall

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Did the remaster add more sidequests? I remember GU Vol 1 having like 2 and they were post game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kild posted:

Did the remaster add more sidequests? I remember GU Vol 1 having like 2 and they were post game.

Apparently it adds a whole new 4th game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Note that the exp curve, which was already fairly generous in the originals, is even lower now, so if you do even a hint of a sidequest you'll get super overleveled.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also there's straight up a cheat mode that lets you play through with max stats.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Oxxidation posted:

Apparently it adds a whole new 4th game.

the 4th game isn't as long as the first three; apparently if you do nothing but run from point to point skipping all extra content it's like 2 hours long. maybe 10-20 if you're doing all the extra stuff.

and yeah the EXP curve is very crazy; I'm about halfway through the first game and I'm level 50.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Getsuya posted:

I’m not too interested in Hollow Realization, but I do actually want to try out SAO vs Accel World because I actually like the plot and characters of Accel World. Plus the action RPG style combat looks much better than the faux-MMO stuff from the Hollow games.

It’s really weird to me that AW and SAO have the same author because AW is basically SAO with most of its major flaws fixed.

What I've seen of AW included the main character directly referring to the VRMMO technology that made SAO possible. Maybe I didn't watch/read/play it enough but it seems awful likely that SAO and AW take place in the same world, since AW is set in the 2020s or 2030s isn't it?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
In an interview the author said the technology was shared in the two worlds but he didn’t want to actually say they were in the same world because it would be very difficult to tie them together so that they were internally consistent.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Did they fix the exploit in the motorcycle maps of GU part 2?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

It’s really weird to me that AW and SAO have the same author because AW is basically SAO with most of its major flaws fixed.
The author wrote SAO in high school and college, then got Accel World published as an adult, then went back and made some edits to SAO and published it. Even with the edits there's only so much you can do. With that in mind, a lot of things about SAO make sense.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the apkallu board in gu was a genius idea

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ninjewtsu posted:

the apkallu board in gu was a genius idea

Absolutely.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Getsuya posted:

Oh hey Nioh is out on Steam. Here’s hoping it’s a good port since I’m buying it.

From what I've heard, it doesn't even support KB/M(not that you would want to use one for this type of game). Also the graphics options are basically the same as the ps4pro so just 1080p 60fps or 4k 30fps

Sounds like a super barebones and low effort port but maybe it could still run well :shrug:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
did any games ever try to copy parasite eve's combat system? It was pretty neat at the time. Sort of turn based ATB but with real time movement.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

From what I've heard, it doesn't even support KB/M(not that you would want to use one for this type of game). Also the graphics options are basically the same as the ps4pro so just 1080p 60fps or 4k 30fps

Sounds like a super barebones and low effort port but maybe it could still run well :shrug:

The port runs pretty well. I haven't had any issues with the performance or other things so far. Supports my dualshock 4 natively too (xbox prompts only though).

If you have a non-16:9 screen (mine is 16:10) you have to fiddle a bit to get black bars instead of a stretched image which is a bit dumb but it's not a big deal.

So basically yeah, it's barebones but it still works well.

(Pretty sure you can do 60 fps on 4k if you have strong PC too.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

did any games ever try to copy parasite eve's combat system? It was pretty neat at the time. Sort of turn based ATB but with real time movement.

vagrant story is parasite eve with no dodging

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

vagrant story is parasite eve with no dodging

It isn't turn based, tho. It really wants to be with how risk works but if you're even remotely prepared that shouldn't actually matter.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i always grind bats to have 100 vera roots at all times

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm not sure I used a vera item my entire last playthrough. Just wasn't necessary. Accursed Umbra too stronk

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Speak for yourself, I played through all the DS games with Mouse. It was fun! A cool hard mode of sorts.
Then again I never parried a single time so...

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

super sweet best pal posted:

Did they fix the exploit in the motorcycle maps of GU part 2?

as far as I understand it still works.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HGH posted:

Speak for yourself, I played through all the DS games with Mouse. It was fun! A cool hard mode of sorts.
Then again I never parried a single time so...

Having more precise control of the camera is considered to be the hard mode now?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Having more precise control of the camera is considered to be the hard mode now?

No.

The controls feeling like absolute garbage is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Parasite Eve is cool, I need to get back to my playthrough one of these days