Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

I preferred CG Steppenwolf. I disagree with whoever's decision to make him flesh and blood actor.

That would be Zack Snyder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

That would be Zack Snyder.

Right. I disapprove of it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

I mentioned this in the other thread but it looks like actual garbage. The shot of Batman on the Batmobile is loving horrid.

And I don't get it. The early trailers made it look great. Each successive trailer or scene shown makes it look worse and worse. The red filter, that awful music, and now these poo poo-tastic clips. It's frustrating watching this movie get worse and worse.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

UmOk posted:

And I don't get it. The early trailers made it look great. Each successive trailer or scene shown makes it look worse and worse. The red filter, that awful music, and now these poo poo-tastic clips. It's frustrating watching this movie get worse and worse.

Just say Whedon. You know you want to.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I want Justice League to be nothing but awful Joss Whedon quips. Just tone deaf unfunny sarcasm for two hours.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Just say Whedon. You know you want to.

I love the Avengers movies. But I don't want Justice League to be an Avengers movie.

Edit: I do admit that I'm being nerd angry over a movie that I haven't seen and should withhold judgement until the final product is out.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 7, 2017

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I do agree that a lot of Elfman's work now does sound very samey, but that really doesn't bug me all that much. They lack really distinct tracks, but typically I feel that the texture of the score compliments the film well. Here though it does not match with the aesthetic of the movie at all. It's far too whimsical with its frantic strings, and brief moments of a universal monster movie inspired score. Bits like that and the '89 Batman theme just seem so out of place. I feel that the problem is less about Elfman's abilities as a composer, and more to do with how he was directed and maybe just being a bad fit for this movie to begin with.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

UmOk posted:

I love the Avengers movies. But I don't want Justice League to be an Avengers movie.

Edit: I do admit that I'm being nerd angry over a movie that I haven't seen and should withhold judgement until the final product is out.

It'll probably be a comercial success though if it's like the Avengers.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

It'll probably be a comercial success though if it's like the Avengers.

MoS and BvS were commercial successes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Much like Beavis, I think the best idea is to wait for the director's cut.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

"Hey, Ben looks a lot different in this first shot. Should we reshoot both shots that are from this angle so it's not noticeable?"

"No, who has the time for that kind of precision in a $300 million dollar movie!"

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Ccs posted:

"Hey, Ben looks a lot different in this first shot. Should we reshoot both shots that are from this angle so it's not noticeable?"

"No, who has the time for that kind of precision in a $300 million dollar movie!"

This reminds me of Doom House.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OAO9WEsXiw

They added a 20 second clip in front of the trailer that shows how Martha lost her house.

Ccs posted:

:psyduck:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bruce Wayne has fallen on hard times at Fashionable Male.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ccs posted:

LOL I guess Affleck didn't want to keep the Batman workout regimen for the reshoots, eh?

What a dumpster fire of a film so far if the clips are anything to go by.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They should bring in Uwe Boll to do some more reshoots, let's just go straight off the cliff with this thing.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Away all Goats posted:

Steppenwolf looks kinda neat I guess, in a video game boss kind of way.
A total disservice to Jack Kirby.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ccs posted:

Joss Whedon: "Ben, it's Joss. Need to bring you in for some reshoots. You haven't shaved the beard, right?"

Ben Affleck: (with an entire pizza in his mouth) "...Nuh."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Every clip in the trailer looks like they just filmed everyone in a dark room with some orange light and a fire then said they would just CGI in the whole movie later.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fart City posted:

Joss Whedon: "Ben, it's Joss. Need to bring you in for some reshoots. You haven't shaved the beard, right?"

Ben Affleck: (with an entire pizza in his mouth) "...Nuh."

Can't wait to see how bad they CGI'd the mustache off Cavill's face

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

His upper lip's going to look like a bystander from an episode of COPS.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Davros1 posted:

Can't wait to see how bad they CGI'd the mustache off Cavill's face

I was hoping that was just like rumors and whatnot, but Cavill did confirm they had like waxed his mustache as far as they could above his upper lip along with motion capture dots on his face for the VFX team while he was in the Superman costume for the reshoots. What the effffff... timestamped below to see Henry explain the process lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD40Q9esDws&t=294s

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean all the reshoots were to add the funnies to the movie, why not just have him turn around wearing Groucho glasses or a horse head or something? Show that, hey, Superman is a fun loving guy who just likes to toss out quips during a big moment, and when he does he makes it extra silly by using props!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Honestly, the way this is going I expect Whedon's Superman to be the worst of the Donner with the worst of the Snyder. Just an aw-shucks guy who suddenly gets insanely angry and explosively red-eye murders inhumans by the dozen in a way that produces no consequences beyond "Superman will protect us" catharsis.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 7, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Well, Whedon also has a major issue with mistaking earnestness with sentimentality. It's one of the reasons why Captain America acts like such a cold dildo in the Avengers movies, far removed from his more nuanced and sympathetic portrayal in his own franchise. I don't see any reason why he won't make the same mistake in this sandbox. I'm expecting a Superman that awkwardly recycles a lot of the Christopher Reeves persona without any of the natural charisma or warmth.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
Wasn't there some classic actor who refused to shave his mustache, so they just covered it up with makeup in anything he did that didn't call for it?

Fart City posted:

Well, Whedon also has a major issue with mistaking earnestness with sentimentality. It's one of the reasons why Captain America acts like such a cold dildo in the Avengers movies, far removed from his more nuanced and sympathetic portrayal in his own franchise. I don't see any reason why he won't make the same mistake in this sandbox. I'm expecting a Superman that awkwardly recycles a lot of the Christopher Reeves persona without any of the natural charisma or warmth.

This is definitely something that makes way more sense now that we know his entire life was an ironic performance.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Wasn't there some classic actor who refused to shave his mustache, so they just covered it up with makeup in anything he did that didn't call for it?
Cesar Romero as the Joker

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Davros1 posted:

Cesar Romero as the Joker

Ah hah, thanks. It's even topical :toot:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Relevant.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gatts posted:

I preferred CG Steppenwolf. I disagree with whoever's decision to make him flesh and blood actor.

This thing looked like a demonic being from some dark beyond.

He's still cgi, unless you think Ciaran Hinds is 12 feet tall with naturally glowing eyes. They were always using only his voice, and he was never going to look exactly like he does in the communion scene - that's kryptonian liquid metal imaging stuff, they don't use analog/digital video technology.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hell, gently caress 'em for chickening out and not using the Kirby design of the character.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I have a theatrical vs ultimate BvS question since I never saw the theatrical. I know the "communion" scene was added in for the ultimate but was the "Ding Ding" scene also added? Or was it presented in the theatrical without context?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Davros1 posted:

Hell, gently caress 'em for chickening out and not using the Kirby design of the character.
The thought of getting to see hardcore Kirby stuff on the big screen was the only thing that had me interested in Justice League during pre production and early production. The two seconds of an actual Celestial from the first Guardians of the Galaxy was about the most excited I've been while watching a superhero movie since Iron Man.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

UmOk posted:

I have a theatrical vs ultimate BvS question since I never saw the theatrical. I know the "communion" scene was added in for the ultimate but was the "Ding Ding" scene also added? Or was it presented in the theatrical without context?

The "bell has already been rung" bit and Luthor mumbling "ding ding ding ding" as the camera dollied back was in the theatrical. The stuff added to that scene? The reference to Arkham and the "Manners on the wane" wordplay.

Some of the smallest cuts in that movie are the weirdest things to cut.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

The thought of getting to see hardcore Kirby stuff on the big screen was the only thing that had me interested in Justice League during pre production and early production. The two seconds of an actual Celestial from the first Guardians of the Galaxy was about the most excited I've been while watching a superhero movie since Iron Man.

You would like Thor: Ragnarok, then.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Codependent Poster posted:

You would like Thor: Ragnarok, then.
I'm going this weekend and I've heard nothing but good things (well... good things and Mike from RLM saying all theaters need to die but having no particular issue with the film itself).

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The Cameo posted:

The "bell has already been rung" bit and Luthor mumbling "ding ding ding ding" as the camera dollied back was in the theatrical. The stuff added to that scene? The reference to Arkham and the "Manners on the wane" wordplay.

Some of the smallest cuts in that movie are the weirdest things to cut.

Isn't the bell being rung and ding ding referencing the communion thing?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I mean he does make generic references to things "out there, lurking in the dark. Ding dong, the God is dead" as well, don't forget. That stuck around in the theatrical.

So it goes from being a direct reference to a scene a few minutes earlier to being a vague reference to whatever is coming down the pipe.

Although, really, the communion should have never really been cut from the movie, especially since it ended up on the end of a viral marketing thing that wrapped up on opening weekend. But, hey, Warners wanted an extra show a day and they had to slice it down as much as they could (despite Zack apparently having told WB very much at the planning stages of the movie that he was going to make it as a three hour movie and they totally agreed with that plan).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The communion scene clarifies exactly what's coming, but the theatrical version cuts directly from Lex saying 'ding ding ding ding' to the 'angels and demons' portrait from earlier - except it's upside down, so the demons are coming from above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ungulateman posted:

The communion scene clarifies exactly what's coming, but the theatrical version cuts directly from Lex saying 'ding ding ding ding' to the 'angels and demons' portrait from earlier - except it's upside down, so the demons are coming from above.

gently caress, I like that movie