Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If Worf is how he is due to the Russian influence of the Rozhenkos, what would he have been like if his human parents came from other nations? Who is Australian Worf? Korean Worf? Israeli Worf?

Canadian Worf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Qaple'

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Worf, from the Hoose of Mogh

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Poutine is best served live.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

He would have maimed a boy in a hockey game at the age of 12 instead of soccer.

He'd probably also have gotten that Happy Gilmore record of "only person to take off his skate and try to stab someone with it."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Time's Arrow may be dumb but it's a lot of fun, too. Descent isn't a strong story, but it wraps up more than one old plot thread and that makes it worth watching, in my opinion.

Gambit is definitely the weakest two-parter. It just doesn't do anything. I can quote lines from the best TNG episodes and I can't even remember what the point of Gambit was, besides putting the captain in a fish out of water story.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Time's Arrow may be dumb but it's a lot of fun, too. Descent isn't a strong story, but it wraps up more than one old plot thread and that makes it worth watching, in my opinion.

Gambit is definitely the weakest two-parter. It just doesn't do anything. I can quote lines from the best TNG episodes and I can't even remember what the point of Gambit was, besides putting the captain in a fish out of water story.

In retrospect "Gambit" was probably an early example of P-Stew trying to get Picard some of that bare-chested manly action hero thing going that he thought people wanted more of.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Huh so it never explicitly said that guy was Worf's dad, even if it did strongly imply it. So all my predictions were still right even if I couldn't figure out why the Romulans were allowing it.

I never got that impression. I guess I just took the episode at face value when the dude said "I used to hang out with you and your dad when you were little, your dad died at Khitomer" and stopped looking for hints.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

McNally posted:

I never got that impression. I guess I just took the episode at face value when the dude said "I used to hang out with you and your dad when you were little, your dad died at Khitomer" and stopped looking for hints.

The fact that the informant was so sure Mogh was alive he'd risk his own life on it, the way nobody ever calls the leader Klingon by any name hinted strongly, but the scene where Worf and tells the leader what he'd do if he found his father here, and the leader tells Worf what he wished his son would do if he came, while giving each other meaningful looks, confirmed it at least in my mind.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I never made that connection but that makes a lot of sense

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
sub rosa is hilarious

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I think it's a shame that after "Birthright" and Worf letting a Romulan die rather than giving him a blood transfusion, we never had him having to work with the Romulans as allies on DS9.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McNally posted:

You're both right.

The episode was written to be Mogh, but then they put in dialogue where he was like "yo your dad is dead dog" that you were supposed to take at face value. The idea was that if it HAD been Mogh, Worf never would have left them.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Lmao the Grand Nagus seems to have lost his mind.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Salami posted:

I think it's a shame that after "Birthright" and Worf letting a Romulan die rather than giving him a blood transfusion, we never had him having to work with the Romulans as allies on DS9.

In :barf:Nemesis:barf: he admits that the romulans fought honorably.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Romulans are without honor, though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

WampaLord posted:

He'd probably also have gotten that Happy Gilmore record of "only person to take off his skate and try to stab someone with it."

A bat'leth which looks like the skate blade? Yes. Let this be so. And his tunic is always baggy and only tucked in on one side.

"That hoser must have Romulan blood, eh!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

In retrospect "Gambit" was probably an early example of P-Stew trying to get Picard some of that bare-chested manly action hero thing going that he thought people wanted more of.

I don't think Stewart pushed for action because he thought it was most saleable, I think he did it because he wanted a break from being the calm tea-drinker.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like Gambit Part I because I actually do enjoy watching Stewart be an action hero, but Part II is so incredibly weak that I can't even tell you how it's resolved without looking it up. Had TNG ended without any films, I really think Stewart could have taken a page from Harrison Ford and done movies like Air Force One and The Fugitive. He was older than your average action hero, but he had abundant charisma and 90's action flicks would have suited him well.

This is where someone points out that all the TNG films are action flicks, but my point stands.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think Stewart pushed for action because he thought it was most saleable, I think he did it because he wanted a break from being the calm tea-drinker.
He may have also had made his nut and figured it was time to go bugshit insane.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FuturePastNow posted:

Descent isn't a strong story, but it wraps up more than one old plot thread and that makes it worth watching, in my opinion.

Oh, it's certainly worth watching, but I feel that way about all of them. "Descent" has a lot of the hallmarks of a series that's gone on too long, with a full-on "what if A met B" storyline that doesn't add anything to those characters' previous (excellent) episodes. It's also the most grimdark TNG got on TV and it just doesn't fit.

Season 7 does pick up from there, though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gambit was so boring that even though I watched all of TNG a decade ago, that episode was just a blank, finding it this year on my rewatch was like watching a whole new episode because I couldn't remember any of it. It made no sense why the Enterprise command crew were suddenly spec ops commandos, Picard's infiltration of the 80s hair metal gang was a paint-by-numbers plot, and the ancient artifact ended up being the most useless weapon ever; it was so dumb it was more like something Zaphod Beeblebrox would pick up in a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy sequel and spend the whole book trying to find a use for.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If Worf is how he is due to the Russian influence of the Rozhenkos, what would he have been like if his human parents came from other nations? Who is Australian Worf? Korean Worf? Israeli Worf?

Canadian Worf?

He wouldn't want to drink prune juice, because it isn't sweet enough.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Wasabi... a warrior's condiment."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McSpanky posted:

"Wasabi... a warrior's condiment."

Bortus did it first.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Korean Worf loves traditional Klingon cuisine like Q'mcHi.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
People who listen to The Greatest Generation: can I just jump in with DS9 or do I need to start from the beginning to get a bunch of the in-jokes?

Thanks.:downs:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

People who listen to The Greatest Generation: can I just jump in with DS9 or do I need to start from the beginning to get a bunch of the in-jokes?

Thanks.:downs:

They've definitely toned down the number of in-jokes... but there are still some. I don't think it would necessarily make it unlistenable, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd listen to at least "The Survivors" episode 50 of TNG to understand a pretty important recurring character.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Spent a whole evening listening to orchestras do Star Trek themes on youtube, as one does.

Man, the Voyager theme is just so good and memorable. TNG for nostalgia still gets me, but VOY's really, really sets you up for disappointment with the average VOY episode.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
why are bridge scenes in tng so noisy? Theres a shittonne more film grain, atleast on the Netflix version.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

I'm already feeling a bit melancholy today and I'm going balls deep into "The Visitor" in a minute. Wish me luck.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

underage at the vape shop posted:

why are bridge scenes in tng so noisy? Theres a shittonne more film grain, atleast on the Netflix version.

Probably a combination of filmstock used and lighting, especially in the earlier seasons.

They probably didn't worry too much about it back then because it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable on the air.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

underage at the vape shop posted:

Where are you in the series? The first two seasons were extremely underlit in a more "cinematic" style before switching to the flat lighting that would remain for the rest of 90s Trek. The remaster corrected the early episodes to be consistent with the later ones, but the now the high film speed shows.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Probably a combination of filmstock used and lighting, especially in the earlier seasons.

They probably didn't worry too much about it back then because it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable on the air.

It kinda blows me away that in 20 or so years we have gone from TV shows being cheap cheap cheap to the Netflix method of "Everything looks like a full-scale Hollywood production."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

dont even fink about it posted:

It kinda blows me away that in 20 or so years we have gone from TV shows being cheap cheap cheap to the Netflix method of "Everything looks like a full-scale Hollywood production."
Prestige TV is the new hotness

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Good is relative. Scrubs was shot on location with naturalistic lighting but a more traditional comedy camera while Brooklyn 99 is lit like a sitcom but takes a lot of camera cues from faux documentaries. Is one better?

Shaky documentary cam was in vogue, now it's long tracking shots. Which is better?

Deep Space 9 was a technical revolution in shooting trek. Did anyone notice or care?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dont even fink about it posted:

TNG was not a cheap show to produce. Over a million dollars an episode (I want to say $1.3M?) in 1987 dollars. I know there's ridiculously expensive shows today that make that look small, but after inflation even by today's standards TNG was not cheap.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The real big difference is probably in time. TNG had to crank out 26 episodes a year every year: each shooting day is precious because you're not just worried about going over budget if you take too long to shoot an episode, you're worried about actually getting the show in the can in time to make your airdates. In that kind of environment, you're going to favor simple lighting and composition that allows you to setup quickly and get the shot done as fast as possible so you can move on to the next scene.

If you're only doing thirteen episodes a season, and you're no longer shackled to the conventional over-the-air season schedule so you can have over a year between season starts, you can spend a lot more time (and money! :v:) setting up complicated lighting and doing multiple takes to get the performances dialed in just so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'd listen to at least "The Survivors" episode 50 of TNG to understand a pretty important recurring character.

Not to sound ungrateful, but I have no idea what I was supposed to get out of that.:confused: