Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

so furious that he continued to employ Nuss, architect of the most constipated offense in the SEC

Checks out:

https://twitter.com/ThomasGoldkamp/status/928060816770953216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
:smug:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Jesus that’s pathetic.

Does Mac land somewhere next year?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

vikingstrike posted:

Jesus that’s pathetic.

Probably as an OC for a Saban acolyte.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
vols bitch

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Probably as an OC for a Saban acolyte.

[quote="“vikingstrike”" post="“478170666”"]
Jesus that’s pathetic.

[/quote]

I could see him at Oregon St.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

Jesus that’s pathetic.

Hopefully somewhere he feels at home, like the Gulf of Mexico

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

Jesus that’s pathetic.

Worst case probably an OC but I could see him getting a mid major head coaching job since he was pretty good at CSU and his on paper resume at Florida isn’t too bad.

Hell we’re probably a short rehab stint somewhere away from him getting like the Missouri job with the way the SEC works

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Is KSU going to let Snyder bully them into hiring his son instead of going after Venables?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

Is KSU going to let Snyder bully them into hiring his son instead of going after Venables?

Snyder's going to have to coach until he's 120 trying to build up his son's resume.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it IS called the "Bill Snyder Family Stadium"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

Firing him would be dumb, so I think just wait him out until he dies or quits and then do whatever. If his son had any chance at actually getting the job Bill would have retired by now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Worst case probably an OC but I could see him getting a mid major head coaching job since he was pretty good at CSU and his on paper resume at Florida isn’t too bad.

Hell we’re probably a short rehab stint somewhere away from him getting like the Missouri job with the way the SEC works

Yeah if Muschamp can get another head job in the conference two years later than I don’t see why Mac can’t.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I can't imagine Butch Jones ever coaching again in the SEC, but I could see him coaching some middle of the road Big-10 in the future.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nate fisher posted:

I can't imagine Butch Jones ever coaching again in the SEC, but I could see him coaching some middle of the road Big-10 in the future.

So what you're saying is when he does well with that team another SEC school will give him a shot again?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah if Muschamp can get another head job in the conference two years later than I don’t see why Mac can’t.

Muschamp's defense is his strong suit. What's McElwain's strong suit? I know, I'm inviting shark jokes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

Muschamp's defense is his strong suit. What's McElwain's strong suit? I know, I'm inviting shark jokes.

No one is saying it’d be a good idea

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

FBScoops posted:

Mack Brown is making a push to become the next Texas AD, according to Geoff Ketchum of Orangebloods. However, Ketchum reports that Longhorns stakeholders have reservations about Brown’s fitness for the position and that TCU’s Chris Del Conte — who worked with Tom Herman at Rice — is the name most commonly mentioned for the job. Former Longhorn football player Mike Perrin has served as UT’s long-term interim AD since 2015, and interviews are expected to begin in earnest early next year.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Hire him and get him off ESPN.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

No one is saying it’d be a good idea

Thank God for that. I understand that Auburn rehabilitated Muschamp by paying him top dollar to be their DC. I just don't see McElwain being kept around the SEC coaching ranks. My guess he goes back out west somewhere.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mack seems like he could be a good AD outside of the possibility that he tries to make Greg Davis the head coach.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I think he might be a good AD in the ambassador/glad-handing sense. Like what USC has with Lynn Swann. No idea if he knows how to run an athletic department but he wouldn't be the first.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

He would be pretty good at raising assloads of money for Texas and as a general media personality for the school. As long as he shows as much interest with meddling in football as he did with meddling with Greg Davis, I think they would be fine.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I don't really know what makes a good AD anyways, so gently caress it. Let's go for it and see what happens!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

buddhanc posted:

I don't really know what makes a good AD anyways, so gently caress it. Let's go for it and see what happens!

For most schools someone who can raise money, for Texas....someone who can smooth things over with boosters? And also raise money of course.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I mean, Youngstown State hired Jim Tressel as the god drat university president which was (and still is) widely ridiculed and it wound up being wildly successful for the university and the City of Youngstown.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

wa27 posted:

Hire him and get him off ESPN.

I don't mind him as an announcer. :smith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mahoning posted:

I mean, Youngstown State hired Jim Tressel as the god drat university president which was (and still is) widely ridiculed and it wound up being wildly successful for the university and the City of Youngstown.

lol I forgot about this, he's actually been doing a good job?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chieves posted:

I don't mind him as an announcer. :smith:

Just imagine someone in a dumb accent saying that all the coaches are workin’ hard and doing a real nice job

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

lol I forgot about this, he's actually been doing a good job?

Yep. People forget that “University President” as a title is mostly a figurehead and fundraising position. Given the fact that Tressel was a god among men in Youngstown even before he was hired as Ohio State coach, he was absolutely perfect. Enrollment is up big time, and he even convinced some big Ohio State fan to buy up several residential blocks full of vacant homes and move his manufacturing company there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mahoning posted:

Yep. People forget that “University President” as a title is mostly a figurehead and fundraising position. Given the fact that Tressel was a god among men in Youngstown even before he was hired as Ohio State coach, he was absolutely perfect. Enrollment is up big time, and he even convinced some big Ohio State fan to buy up several residential blocks full of vacant homes and move his manufacturing company there.

In a typical college town, the University President is probably the most important player in local politics.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
"Butch" Jones's real name is Lyle so we can stop calling him "Butch" now.

loving Lyle.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

loving Lyle.

Champions of Lyle.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

loving Lyle.

Lying Lyle

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

swickles posted:

In a typical college town, the University President is probably the most important player in local politics.

The president of IPFW, Micheal Wartell, got trucked by a bunch of local business leaders several years ago. It started things down the path to where we will be next fall, which is PFW, no more I.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

wernox posted:

no more I.

Good. Good.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

MourningView posted:

Just imagine someone in a dumb accent saying that all the coaches are workin’ hard and doing a real nice job

Someone clearly didn't listen to his color commentary of the 2016 Alamo Bowl.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Real Name Grover posted:

Jesus christ, CB.

Uh, anyway, RE: Mike Riley, if the coffin wasn't already nailed shut, it's been welded shut after that loss. I don't remember the last game played in which we weren't straight-up outcoached (save for Illinois, but c'mon). Watching Iowa destroy Ohio State, who beat us as comprehensively as I've seen a team beat us in memory, didn't help matters much.

I just hope Bill Moos has a plan in case the draw of raising his kid near his grandparents isn't enough to bring Frost back home, or whatever the argument is.

At this point, the majority of the fanbase and boosters would take just about anyone over Riley. Recruiting is already starting to suffer and next year's schedule is how-the-hell-did-the-B1G-clear-this hard. A new coach will get some leeway with it.

It's very unwise (in Nebraska's case, anyway) to allow the fan base and boosters to make hiring and firing decisions, though. They are basically too emotionally invested in the Cornhuskers to be able to separate their self identity from the results of football games, and they are a big part of why NU has become such a shipwreck since Osborne's last year of coaching. Personally, I hope that the NU administration is intelligent and professional enough to look long-term and not at the rest of the season. Riley has installed a recruiting system that had been largely ignored for years; there is a reason why so many freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores have replaced juniors and seniors this year. I didn't know Riley when he was hired, but I support him now. I think he needs two more years to turn things around on this team. It was a disaster after Pelini was fired and that disgruntled coach actively campaigned against NU when he left. It was a carnage.

Riley's biggest mistake, IMHO, is that he tried to "make nice" with Pelini's remaining recruits when he took over. He should have just ripped off the Band-Aid in his first year. Instead, he waited until he had a couple of season's recruits and then tried to install a completely new offense and defense with players that had no exposure.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vitalis Jackson posted:

It's very unwise (in Nebraska's case, anyway) to allow the fan base and boosters to make hiring and firing decisions, though. They are basically too emotionally invested in the Cornhuskers to be able to separate their self identity from the results of football games, and they are a big part of why NU has become such a shipwreck since Osborne's last year of coaching. Personally, I hope that the NU administration is intelligent and professional enough to look long-term and not at the rest of the season. Riley has installed a recruiting system that had been largely ignored for years; there is a reason why so many freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores have replaced juniors and seniors this year. I didn't know Riley when he was hired, but I support him now. I think he needs two more years to turn things around on this team. It was a disaster after Pelini was fired and that disgruntled coach actively campaigned against NU when he left. It was a carnage.

Riley's biggest mistake, IMHO, is that he tried to "make nice" with Pelini's remaining recruits when he took over. He should have just ripped off the Band-Aid in his first year. Instead, he waited until he had a couple of season's recruits and then tried to install a completely new offense and defense with players that had no exposure.

I think letting fan bases and boosters dictate the course of college athletics is a major mistake, but given how boosters provide fucktons of cash they're very hard to ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Riley was an obviously awful hire from the start. He hadn’t been good at Oregon State in several years and was clearly trending down. He only got the job because they were embarrassed by Pelini and wanted someone who was nice and polite with the media.

Anyway, I agree, Nebraska should definitely keep him, because recruiting. They should have kept Callahan too.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 9, 2017

• Locked thread