Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Sadly that stuff is becoming a commodity now and people or OEMs don't see the benefit to spending $.50 per ft for a high end 1/4" hose when they can spend .25 for the same thing :haw:

It's just human lives, and those are free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrOnBicycle posted:

... or they do DPF deletes and pollute their communities because "mahh powaah!!!1". Calling them out on it usually gets you flamed hard / banned.
I think a lot of people who remove emissions kit on diesels are more going "Ok, so this bit breaks all the time, costs :rodimus: to replace, and the car runs fine without it? Yeah, I'm thinking gently caress that."

Rolling coal idiots are annoying, but not fit for purpose lashups to get an engine to meet regulations have a long history of being rubbish. Hopefully things will improve over time, just as happened with cats... or people just stop buying bloody diesels.

The maxim that in 20-odd years they want everything sold here to be hybrid at worse is going to make for an interesting situation on that front.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

InitialDave posted:

I think a lot of people who remove emissions kit on diesels are more going "Ok, so this bit breaks all the time, costs :rodimus: to replace, and the car runs fine without it? Yeah, I'm thinking gently caress that."

Rolling coal idiots are annoying, but not fit for purpose lashups to get an engine to meet regulations have a long history of being rubbish. Hopefully things will improve over time, just as happened with cats... or people just stop buying bloody diesels.

The maxim that in 20-odd years they want everything sold here to be hybrid at worse is going to make for an interesting situation on that front.

I made sure that the DPF-delete tune that is compulsory to the delete on my truck would be as efficient as possible, I wanted no soot or "coal" with my truck, and so far it's been super good. Yes it's a little louder, and yes it smells more like a truck and less like something burning LP or CNG, but knowing that all those $$$ consumables aren't in the equation with the bonus of a ton more power was a good trade-off.

That being said there is a big difference between a good tune and a bad tune, and even "coal tunes" for these trucks. The latter two give the rest of us a bad name and usually relegate themselves to niche parts of truck culture.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

...a ton more power was a good trade-off.

It's SHOCKING how much power a DPF delete can free up on certain engines.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

MrYenko posted:

It's SHOCKING how much power a DPF delete can free up on certain engines.

From researching the whole dubily-doo it doesn't seen like removing the particulate filter intrinsically adds more power. But, diesel engines have a LOT of room for power gains in air and fuel changes. It's possible to increase the fueling and boost with the emissions stuff in place, but it's hugely restrictive, and the lifespan of the DPF decreases exponentially in that configuration. My truck is a 2009 GMC Duramax (LMM type), and I used an EFI Live tune from a guy out in Utah (with the EFI Live loader), and put an "as stock as possible" exhaust on that was slightly upsized (4" turbo-back iirc) with the correct number of resonators and mufflers as well (I didn't want the truck to be any louder than stock). I also have a DSP-5 five position power switch in the cab so I can change what level tune I am running. I only mention this because I'm pretty sure 'tune-1' is stock hp/torque, confirming that DPF removal in and of itself doesn't add any power.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

It's worth mentioning that even though the pressure is massively higher than the air in a tire, hydraulic fluid doesn't store the same energy due to liquid being incompressible. You wouldn't want your bare skin near the bubble (because high pressure oil can inject itself into your skin and kill you), but even if it ruptured it would just splatter oil everywhere and make a mess. It won't explode the same way tires do.

slidebite posted:

We build hydraulic hoses and systems in my shop and the "fixes" we see people doing to their hoses can be outright horrifying. Like gear clamps (the kind of thing you'd see on your heater hose on your car) on high pressure hoses, or splicing in poo poo with barbs is just :psyduck:
How about wrapping electrical tape around d a hose to make it thick enough so a crimped end will stay on? Sometimes poo poo breaks down in the field and drastic measures are called for. In theory it should be fixed when it gets back to a shop but that doesn't always happen.
[/quote]

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CommieGIR posted:

You're a monster

You wouldn't feel that way if you lived somewhere that had a greater proportion of diesel vehicles. The sooner they die the better.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

Passenger car diesel is only worth having if you're going to do loads of long journeys and really need the higher mpg.

I've got a diesel Focus and pretty happy with the MPG I get around town with it compared to my last car. Being about to drive for over half a month between refills is pretty neat.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dissss posted:

You wouldn't feel that way if you lived somewhere that had a greater proportion of diesel vehicles. The sooner they die the better.

I think Japan had the right idea when I went there. The only Diesel powered things were heavy commercial vehicles and work versions of the Hiace/Caravan/Breadvans, due to diesel being very heavily taxed and discouraged.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You Am I posted:

I've got a diesel Focus and pretty happy with the MPG I get around town with it compared to my last car. Being about to drive for over half a month between refills is pretty neat.

It sounds like you drive so little that diesel is hardly worth it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 8, 2017

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made
Some jobs, diesels just do better.

My work truck, a 2014 Toyota Tundra with a 4.9l gasser and 50K on the clock gets 16mpg empty, which drops quickly to 12-13 the minute you put a tool or piece of equipment in the back; normal work load, I'm getting 11. My truck truck, a 1994 Ford F250 with a 7.3l t-idi and 200K gets 18 mpg empty and this past weekend carried 3000lbs on a camping trip and got a solid 12 mpg. Even if the Toyota could handle the weight, I shudder to think of the mpg.
I know there are a lot of other factors here, like gearing and emissions (Elphie doesn't roll coal, but she will do a nice London fog while loaded and going up an onramp) but she does what she does so well that I intend to keep her until the last idi parts are gone or I die (the latter will likely occur first).
Not to mention the fact that if/when diesel spikes up above $3 (Deep South prices :whatup:) I'll start feeding her biodiesel again.

e: tldr, people like me are the failure I guess.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think bosch CP4.2 diesel injection pumps fit the bill of horrible mechanical failure. Slight moisture contamination and they send shrapnel to all 8 injectors necessitating replacement. Usually a $10k bill at the dealer. Which is the problem with all newer diesel pickups, the repairs have gotten to be so expensive they are a horrible financial fail for the owner.

And I was laughing at the chevy DEF tanks too until I read the horror stories of the ford/ram people who mixed up diesel and DEF because the fillers were next to each other. Its there and the fill is under the hood for a reason.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Platystemon posted:

It sounds like you drive so that diesel is hardly worth it.

lol noooooope. Not by a long stretch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You Am I posted:

lol noooooope. Not by a long stretch.

I mean, that’s what, like four thousand miles per year?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

rdb posted:

And I was laughing at the chevy DEF tanks too until I read the horror stories of the ford/ram people who mixed up diesel and DEF because the fillers were next to each other. Its there and the fill is under the hood for a reason.

Stupid people are still going to find a way to much it up. There was an old chap who filled their petrol Cruze with adblue here a while back (despite the pump being literally covered in warnings and only working at a trickle)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

rdb posted:

You have to be a loving retard to dump pee juice into the fuel tank... I mean come on, really? Ford makes the cap blue and it says PUT THE EXPENSIVE poo poo IN HERE. If anyone manages in getting diesel in the pee juice tank I'd be seriously impressed, like, that's some devotion to being stupid.

While we're on the topic of Ford... why can't they put a GAUGE in the def tank? They put a sensor when it's low enough that you have a few hundred miles left, then throw a warning up on the dash. From then on out, it doesn't know how much you're using and just guesses to how many miles you have until its empty, then limits you to 5mph or whatever if you get to its estimated mileage. However, if you go and tow something and really romp on it, you use def faster and thus run out quicker. Suddenly you go from 100 miles to empty to being on the side of the road trying to tow an excavator at 5mph...

So this brings me to the next thing that really pisses me off about Ford.... Let's say it's a friday afternoon, you're tired and just wanna get back to the shop with the excavator and the thing says you have 50 miles to empty, so you're like fuuuuu and find a half-full jug of def behind the seat. A couple gallons is plenty to get you home and you'll deal with it on monday (actually you'll drive another truck and it'll be someone else's problem (remember you're the manager and can do that)). So you dump the poo poo in and guess what? IT DOESN'T HAVE A loving LEVEL SENSOR AND SINCE YOU DIDN'T FILL IT UP TO THE FULL SENSOR IT DOESN'T THINK YOU ADDED ANY DEF AND STILL SAYS YOU HAVE 50 MILES UNTIL IT'S EMPTY AND WILL LIMP DICK YOU AT 5MPH ON THE SIDE OF THE INTERSTATE gently caress YOU FORD gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU OH MY loving GOD THAT'S A HORRIBLE loving DESIGN. Remember how it guesses? yea, so the truck has been driven around the jobsite and poo poo all day so now you're towing a heavy load with a lead foot because it's friday, 20 miles later the tank goes empty and the truck decides your fun is over.

Chevy and dodge give you a GAUGE so this doesn't happen. The 6.7 is a great engine to drive and tow with, don't get me wrong. But the def situation triggers me hard.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

chrisgt posted:

You have to be a loving retard to dump pee juice into the fuel tank... I mean come on, really? Ford makes the cap blue and it says PUT THE EXPENSIVE poo poo IN HERE. If anyone manages in getting diesel in the pee juice tank I'd be seriously impressed, like, that's some devotion to being stupid.

In the situation you describe sometimes people blindly undo the wrong cap. Try to drive the truck afterwards and its really bad news. New fuel pump, injection pump, lines, rails, injectors... $12k repair bill.

E: https://youtu.be/PIBBY-lFbXA

rdb fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 8, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chrisgt posted:

While we're on the topic of Ford... why can't they put a GAUGE in the def tank? They put a sensor when it's low enough that you have a few hundred miles left, then throw a warning up on the dash. From then on out, it doesn't know how much you're using and just guesses to how many miles you have until its empty, then limits you to 5mph or whatever if you get to its estimated mileage. However, if you go and tow something and really romp on it, you use def faster and thus run out quicker. Suddenly you go from 100 miles to empty to being on the side of the road trying to tow an excavator at 5mph...

Why not carry a jug? It’s safer and more stable than fuel.

chrisgt posted:

So you dump the poo poo in and guess what? IT DOESN'T HAVE A loving LEVEL SENSOR AND SINCE YOU DIDN'T FILL IT UP TO THE FULL SENSOR IT DOESN'T THINK YOU ADDED ANY DEF AND STILL SAYS YOU HAVE 50 MILES UNTIL IT'S EMPTY AND WILL LIMP DICK YOU AT 5MPH ON THE SIDE OF THE INTERSTATE gently caress YOU FORD gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU OH MY loving GOD THAT'S A HORRIBLE loving DESIGN.

LOL

I underestimated Ford. :allears:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Ford: Just get a bigger jug, maybe two jugs?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
gently caress
Off
Re:
DEF

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Diesel emissions cleaning runs absolutely fine if you use the car as intended to spool miles upon miles on the highway.

Not the cars fault if people replace gasoline domestic markets with diesel purchases.

Stuff like clogged particle filters, wonky DEF et all are usually a sign that the usage is not adequate to the performance layout of the machine. Also if you usually drive the car without reaching operating temperature on the coolant, all the alarm bells should go off.

Also don't tamper with your emissions cleaning really. The stuff that comes out of an engine is not intended to be sniffed in raw format and you breath that poo poo in when you drive even more than the guys behind you who also are not responsible for your bad life decisions

E: the alternative to AdBlue systems is NOx accumulator converters and those are as much of a world of pain as particle filters... And they burn diesel to regenerate so you don't even save up by not buying AdBlue

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 8, 2017

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

rdb posted:

I think bosch CP4.2 diesel injection pumps fit the bill of horrible mechanical failure. Slight moisture contamination and they send shrapnel to all 8 injectors necessitating replacement. Usually a $10k bill at the dealer. Which is the problem with all newer diesel pickups, the repairs have gotten to be so expensive they are a horrible financial fail for the owner.

Let's look a bit into the culprit

1. Modular design can be suited to the customers application

Okay okay this seems standard for the most part

2. Up to 500.000 start stop cycles for hybrid applications. Hmm the up to part seems a bit dodgy for now... Degrading options?

3. Selectable robustness packages to suit different domestic market requirements

Ahhhh looks like we found a smoking gun here. When an OEM offers car makers different grades of robustness for different prices, what you think the maker is going to buy... My personal guess, US domestic market chose the cheapest option possible which is likely lab grade fuel proven and can't digest any water at all (dramatized obviously), in the hope that it will make it above warranty mileage without falling apart too soon to be profitable

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

digger_smolkin posted:

Some jobs, diesels just do better.

My work truck

My truck truck

e: tldr, people like me are the failure I guess.
No, trucks, proper 4x4s, and utility stuff is exactly where diesel should be used.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Apropos of nothing the egr in my wife's tdi Multipla is blocked. How many miles a week has she been doing recently?

About 25.

She needs a leaf but I've not got the money right now.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Platystemon posted:

I mean, that’s what, like four thousand miles per year?

Average Australian drives around 15,500km per year, some of us do a lot more than that too- I average 20-25K kms a year. For my car, the landcruiser, diesel works so much better than the petrol option- the 4.2L turbo diesel sits on 12.5-13L/100 (18-18.5MPG) empty, loaded up for a big outback tour uses 15-16/100 (14-15MPG) and when loaded and towing, up to around 19/100 (11-12MPG)

The 4.7L V8 100 averages 16-17/100 (13-14MPG) empty running around town, 20-24/100 (9-11MPG) loaded up and around 35-40/100 (5-6MPG) with a big caravan or trailer on the back.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

slidebite posted:

We build hydraulic hoses and systems in my shop and the "fixes" we see people doing to their hoses can be outright horrifying. Like gear clamps (the kind of thing you'd see on your heater hose on your car) on high pressure hoses, or splicing in poo poo with barbs is just :psyduck:

That looks like just a 1 or 2 wire spaghetti hose. It's probably off shore and had a very, very hard life. Sadly that stuff is becoming a commodity now and people or OEMs don't see the benefit to spending $.50 per ft for a high end 1/4" hose when they can spend .25 for the same thing :haw:

Whats your opinion on reusable fittings?

My local parker store charges 10 bucks a foot for the hose we use. I forget the size, but its not huge.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Platystemon posted:

Because company truck... Someone will use it and not buy a new jug, or they'll leave a gallon left in a jug and throw it back behind the seat because gently caress the next guy, right? (unless next guy is the manager then you get your rear end chewed out)

From an engineering standpoint, I like the idea of DEF, it's a clever solution (unless it's in solution with diesel) that actually works pretty well. The issue is lovely implementation. Like any new tech, it has its teething pains, hopefully this can be sorted out and diesels can be awesome again. #makedieselgreatagain

edit: you ain't livin' the diesel life if you never ran out of DEF in a skid steer or excavator....

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 8, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Combat Theory posted:

3. Selectable robustness packages to suit different domestic market requirements

Ahhhh looks like we found a smoking gun here. When an OEM offers car makers different grades of robustness for different prices, what you think the maker is going to buy... My personal guess, US domestic market chose the cheapest option possible which is likely lab grade fuel proven and can't digest any water at all (dramatized obviously), in the hope that it will make it above warranty mileage without falling apart too soon to be profitable

Likely that, I think I read somewhere its only rated for 1000 hours, which is really low. My lbz duramax (using CP3.3) had several times that when it got totaled with 165k on it.

GM has switched from bosch to denso for the latest duramax L5P. I am hoping its a change for the better.

With that said I hope to have a new diesel pickup within the next year or so. I have read, and feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, that the current emission systems have become reliable enough that they don’t have to be deleted. I will probably go with Ram for the cummins/aisin/air ride combo or another duramax. Ford, as much as I like the F150, I cant get over the electric shaver look of the new superduty. And they are the only ones still using a CP4.2.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

wesleywillis posted:

Whats your opinion on reusable fittings?
You mean field attachable ends like this?

They are perfectly fine and have their place. You definitely pay a premium compared to a normal megacrimp (1-piece) or most ferrule type fittings, and they don't make them in nearly the same amount of sizes/types, but they are pretty good for standard spaghetti hose applications and handy to have and use. Actually I have a client that LOVES them for standard (non-hydraulic) hoses because they do away with hose clamps completely.

quote:

My local parker store charges 10 bucks a foot for the hose we use. I forget the size, but its not huge.
To be fair, I'm a Gates guy and I am on the technical side so I don't price out hoses personally very often and I was sort of exaggerating (I was talking more in general of OEM level which is a fraction of what a standard "off the street" or even industrial/wholesale customer would pay) but $10/ft sounds a little high to me for anything under a 1" hose. You're going to make me take a quick look when I get into the office.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

EKDS5k posted:

It's worth mentioning that even though the pressure is massively higher than the air in a tire, hydraulic fluid doesn't store the same energy due to liquid being incompressible. You wouldn't want your bare skin near the bubble (because high pressure oil can inject itself into your skin and kill you), but even if it ruptured it would just splatter oil everywhere and make a mess. It won't explode the same way tires do.

Yep, in construction we can hydrotest water piping right next to ongoing work, but if you're pneumatically testing pipe you need to get everyone out of the area. I had to chew out a mechanical contractor on one of my sites for doing pneumatic testing right over top of ongoing work that actually blew a victaulic fitting apart. loving lunatics, should have thrown them off site and saved myself a lot of trouble but it wasn't my decision.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

rdb posted:

Likely that, I think I read somewhere its only rated for 1000 hours, which is really low. My lbz duramax (using CP3.3) had several times that when it got totaled with 165k on it.

GM has switched from bosch to denso for the latest duramax L5P. I am hoping its a change for the better.

With that said I hope to have a new diesel pickup within the next year or so. I have read, and feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, that the current emission systems have become reliable enough that they don’t have to be deleted. I will probably go with Ram for the cummins/aisin/air ride combo or another duramax. Ford, as much as I like the F150, I cant get over the electric shaver look of the new superduty. And they are the only ones still using a CP4.2.

I am running dual cp3's on my LMM, and I haven't heard too much negative feedback about their reliability, just their finite fueling ability.

I agree with the newest emissions junk being ironed out by now. Back in oh ought nine, it was still new, and not ironed out at all (especially with the potential bearing washing in the LMM). Plus the amount of power combined with the robustness of the transmissions on OEM trucks, there isn't much reason to upgrade. I really like my dually, and have always preferred the design language of the GM's, so I would probably gravitate towards the L5P. Especially with how much I love my Allison 1k.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

rdb posted:

Its sad because the old Bosch rotary IPs were dead reliable, its a shame that quality went by the wayside with Common Rail.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

slidebite posted:

To be fair, I'm a Gates guy and I am on the technical side so I don't price out hoses personally very often and I was sort of exaggerating (I was talking more in general of OEM level which is a fraction of what a standard "off the street" or even industrial/wholesale customer would pay) but $10/ft sounds a little high to me for anything under a 1" hose. You're going to make me take a quick look when I get into the office.

You probably don't want to go to a chain parts store for any kind of hose, then. Simple heater hose, like 5/16s and poo poo, will run you that much. I bought six feet on Amazon for about the same price though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just looked at my standard g2 gates approximate sell price for industrial people.

.250" about $3.70
.375 $4.00
.500 $4.50
1" $9.00 per foot.

That's not giving it away and :canada:. Of course, higher, lower pressures $$ vary.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Godholio posted:

You probably don't want to go to a chain parts store for any kind of hose, then. Simple heater hose, like 5/16s and poo poo, will run you that much. I bought six feet on Amazon for about the same price though.

You're smoking some good poo poo man. 5/16s heater hose is not $10 a foot. Rediculously marked up still? Sure. But not :10bux: a foot.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

slidebite posted:

Just looked at my standard g2 gates approximate sell price for industrial people.

.250" about $3.70
.375 $4.00
.500 $4.50
1" $9.00 per foot.

That's not giving it away and :canada:. Of course, higher, lower pressures $$ vary.

So thats the price you sell it to retail at? That kinda makes sense then. Ours is (I think) half inch or maybe 5/8" ID, three(?) wire.
If you sell it to retailers for 4.50 a foot, then my price sounds right with mark up. Also :canada:

Oh yeah, them fittings. They're a real pain in the rear end. But when you're broken down in the middle of nowhere.....

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

rdb posted:

Honestly I am completely clueless on USDM truck business. I just found it worthy to dig a bit into the Bosch stuff since I know they publish their business customers info publicly in German so it was a 2 minute search if you know what to look for and you were so nice to do the bulk work of actually finding out what's in the car.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
With all the hose chat- what's the best option for standard rubber air hose ends? I hate hose clamps and it sucks to trim the hose back every year once the barbs eventually cut through.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

wesleywillis posted:

So thats the price you sell it to retail at? That kinda makes sense then. Ours is (I think) half inch or maybe 5/8" ID, three(?) wire.
If you sell it to retailers for 4.50 a foot, then my price sounds right with mark up. Also :canada:

Oh yeah, them fittings. They're a real pain in the rear end. But when you're broken down in the middle of nowhere.....

That's more my wholesale, probably +20-30% for retail walk in. The inside staff has a lot of autonomy with pricing, so maybe more if you're a dick or less if you're nice.

e: Also, if you use those fittings put a small amount of grease on the outside for when you assemble it. It will help.

the spyder posted:

With all the hose chat- what's the best option for standard rubber air hose ends? I hate hose clamps and it sucks to trim the hose back every year once the barbs eventually cut through.
If you're doing NPT ends, those reusable field fittings I posted above with wesleywillis are the bees knees. That's exactly what my client uses them for (plant air hose) because clamps suck and they can actually be a safety issue with the edges getting sharp and catching on things. In all reality, crimping is really the way to go but not everyone has ready access to one so its the next best thing. They'll last almost forever so you can reuse them if the hose gets hosed.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I use a barb fitting and clamptite wire clamps with clear heatshrink over them. No scratches, no gouging the hose.